Suggestions for the Librarians

An archive of reference topics and posts (no new posts can be added)
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I concede my perspective probably differs from yours and that may be leading me to misunderstand the table.

When I look at the table, this is the information I'm trying to force it to tell me.

Code: Select all

Month of Issue          6-month inflation rate       6-month inflation rate
and rate changes *,**

January                 January thru June**          July thru December*
February                February thru July**         August thru January*
March                   March thru August**          September thru February*
April                   April thru September**       October thru March*
May*                    May thru October*            November thru April**
June                    June thru November*          December thru May**
July                    July thru December*          January thru June**
August                  August thru January*         February thru July**
September               September thru February*     March thru August**
October                 October thru March*          April thru September**
November**              November thru April**        May thru October*
December                December thru May**          June thru November*

Example. If you buy a I bond anytime during January, it will get a 6-month inflation rate (January thru June) that was established in November (**). For the next 6-months (July thru December) the rate will have been established in May (*). This inflation rate change process repeats in this fashion, every 6 months, until the I bond is redeemed, or 30 years has elapses.

Please correct my misunderstanding of the table's purpose.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Got it. I didn't understand your question. A table is worth 1,000 words (maybe less, since it's text :D). How does this look?

Wiki article link: I Savings Bonds

Actually, this is much easier to understand now. Thanks for the suggestion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote:...
How does this look?
That, I understand. Thanks.
CountryBoy

Re: Suggestions for the Librarians

Post by CountryBoy »

Ok, this is radical and a real reach but here goes.....what about a Wiki to cover "and all the other main topics."

For instance, such major headings as: mattresses, car buying strategies, when to change oil, etc. Since we have topics that are always reappearing maybe a collected list of these topics in a Wiki would assist people.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

CountryBoy wrote:Ok, this is radical and a real reach but here goes.....what about a Wiki to cover "and all the other main topics."

For instance, such major headings as: mattresses, car buying strategies, when to change oil, etc. Since we have topics that are always reappearing maybe a collected list of these topics in a Wiki would assist people.

I politely disagree. Such a broad focus would have the BH Wiki compete against more expert forums (Consumers Union, Car Talk,....). No good can come from this.

I believe it is better for the BH Wiki to remain focused on the areas in which its authors do excel, and allow the other expert forums to do the same.

To my way of thinking, Google already does a good job of locating expert forums for other topics, just as it does for the BHs and the topic of investing.

P.S. I don't understand why the 'quote' feature did not work properly this time. (I also could not change the color of the quoted text to set it off from my reply as formatting options were not available.)

At the right of the edit screen are:
BBCode is OFF
Smilies are OFF

The only Options listed at the bottom left of the edit screen are:
Do no automatically parse URLs
Notify me when a reply is posted

I don't see any way to turn on BBCode.

Just another of life's little mysteries. :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

CountryBoy wrote:Ok, this is radical and a real reach but here goes.....what about a Wiki to cover "and all the other main topics."

Sorry, but the wiki's purpose is for investing education. There's no point to include this information - which is available elsewhere as dratkinson suggests.

dratkinson - Suggestions for your edit problems were sent via PM (OT for this thread).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.