Suggestions for the Librarians

An archive of reference topics and posts (no new posts can be added)
Mel Lindauer

Financial Calculators

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Bob:

Thanks for jump-starting the financial calculator collection.

Best regards,

Mel
gbs
Wiki Admin

Post by gbs »

Mel and Bob,

This is what Barry and I felt about including calculators:
Personally, I approach all but the simplest calculators with a healthy dose of skepticism. "Black box" solutions, be they calculators, optimizers, or monte carlo analyses require at least some basic understanding of the underlying algorithms driving the numbers, as well as a clear understanding of the limits to which the output can be applied.

The optimal solution, in my humble opinion, is that each "black box" tool we employ be accompanied by a tutorial. These could be written by our forum's mathematicians and investment pros. Remember, with this forum, anything which they could write to this effect would remain their property. This should increase the incentive.
Otherwise the two of us are here to moderate and the final decision for topic inclusion belongs to the posters.

I maintain my skepticism ... will try to warn our readers about the dangers of using complex calculators and suggest that posters try to do the same.

Bob, go ahead and create the tread.

gbs
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

gbs wrote:Mel and Bob,

Personally, I approach all but the simplest calculators with a healthy dose of skepticism. "Black box" solutions, be they calculators, optimizers, or monte carlo analyses require at least some basic understanding of the underlying algorithms driving the numbers, as well as a clear understanding of the limits to which the output can be applied.

The optimal solution, in my humble opinion, is that each "black box" tool we employ be accompanied by a tutorial. These could be written by our forum's mathematicians and investment pros. Remember, with this forum, anything which they could write to this effect would remain their property. This should increase the incentive.
Otherwise the two of us are here to moderate and the final decision for topic inclusion belongs to the posters.

I maintain my skepticism ... will try to warn our readers about the dangers of using complex calculators and suggest that posters try to do the same.

gbs
No doubt that there should be adequate warning. My policy is to use multiple calculators to serve as a cross-check on the other ones.

Best regards,

Mel
bob90245

Post by bob90245 »

gbs wrote:Mel and Bob,

gbs
:?: When I clicked on Image, I got this message:
Sorry, but only moderators can post topics in this forum.
In case you forgot, I'm not a moderator. Therefore I cannot create a new thread in the Reference Library.

If a moderator would like to create a new "Financial Calculator" section, I will be happy to copy those calculators from my withdrawal strategies article.
gbs
Wiki Admin

Post by gbs »

Sorry Bob,

It was an admin setting that I was not aware of.

I created the section: "Financial calculators"

Regards, gbs
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

What's Wrong with Variable Annuities

an article to post in deferred annuities section of library.

thanks
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
brokeboy

Post by brokeboy »

Tools:
trowe price freebie mstar xray version:
http://www.troweprice.com/common/index3 ... 77,00.html

http://easyallocator.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/na ... ex_01.html NY TImes wealth estimator

http://www.banksite.com/calc/wealth millionaire mind rating

http://www.adviseronline.com/correlatio ... lation.php vanguard fund correlation

Articles:
http://www.fpanet.org/journal/articles/ ... 6-art7.cfm asset allocation guide

http://www.bylo.org/tradcost.html how to measure true cost of a fund

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/mutu ... costs.html mutual fund hidden costs

http://www.fpanet.org/journal/articles/ ... 6527_1.pdf lump sum beats DCA

Calculators

http://www.hughchou.org/calc/wealth2.cgi wealth calculator

http://www.dinkytown.net/ random financial calculators

http://www.bloomberg.com/invest//calcul ... etire.html

http://personal.fidelity.com/planning/r ... buf=999999

http://allfinancialmatters.com/Calculat ... eturns.htm

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/pf/ ... index.html

Financial Model Spreadsheets

http://gummy-stuff.org/allocations.htm

http://gnobility.com/ER/Tamasset_Effici ... ntiers.xls (is this the same as the tamasset spreadsheet on rebalancing/allocation?

http://henwood.no-ip.info/Helpretire.xls

hope this helps its a jumbled list of stuff I got book marked.

does anyone have the tamassets spreadsheet? I cannot find it because the way its being talked about I think that would be a good reference piece also
shadowrings

Post by shadowrings »

Maybe include Ed Slott's The Retirement Savings Time Bomb & How to Defuse It in the Estate section since he's got so much information on stretch IRA's and various types of trust vehicles (pro/con) in it.

Or if decide to create a Retirement &/or IRA reference section put it there.

:wink:
vickie
Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people. | --- Carl G. Jung
Cb

Post by Cb »

I recommend that a librarian add a library thread descrbing & linking Simba's terrific Excel spreadsheet for modeling allocations using historical data:

http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic ... 1180016065

Cb 8)
gbs
Wiki Admin

Post by gbs »

Cb wrote:I recommend that a librarian add a library thread descrbing & linking Simba's terrific Excel spreadsheet for modeling allocations using historical data:

http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic ... 1180016065

Cb 8)
Simba promised to add it himself at some point in the future.

Regards, gbs
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Bob U. Post

Post by Barry Barnitz »

From Bob U.

Barry--

Thank you for the link to "Retirement Planning's Greatest Gap." It is the most fair-minded, most comprehensive, most systematic analysis of long-term care insurance I've ever read.

For anyone considering LTCI it is a must read. Bob U.

[edit: moved to suggestions topic]
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Barry--

See page R22 (final page) of the quarterly review in today's Wall Street Journal. Andrew Blackman has a lengthy quiz, "How Well Do You Know...Hedge Funds?"

Perhaps tomorrow I can post a link if the piece is free to non-online subscribers. Bob U.

[moved by Barry]
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Wall Street Journal on Hedge Funds

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Perhaps tomorrow I can post a link if the piece is free to non-online subscribers. Bob U.
In the meantime, here are two revealing quotes from the article:

"Mr. Buffett pulled no punches in attacking what he calls the '2-and-20 crowd' -- a reference to the fees hedge funds charge.

He claimed that the high fees set up an 'inexorable math' that makes investors poorer over time, and ended with an adage: 'When somone with experience proposes a deal to someone with money, too often the fellow with money ends up with the experience, and the fellow with experience ends up with the money."

"Economist Burton Malkiel and Atanu Saha studied hedge-fund returns from 1995 to 2003. The S&P recorded an average annual return of 12.4% in this period. -- Hedge funds had an average annual return of 8.8% for the period studied."

Best wishes.
Taylor

[moved by Barry]
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi Taylor,

We were attracted to the same Buffett quote, which I posted @ Chuck Ds favorite quote thread. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. :D Bob U.

[moved by Barry]
Last edited by Barry Barnitz on Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Response

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Gentlemen:

Please refer to the Harry Kat link included above. You will not only find papers examining the statistical, cost, diversification, and return properties of hedge funds, but also his creation of low cost (35 basis points management and transaction cost) hedge fund replication strategies, now being designed for institutional investors. Refer to the recent paper for details:

Alternative Routes to Hedge Fund Return Replication: Extended Version by Harry Kat (April 2007)
With average hedge fund performance steadily deteriorating and equity markets picking up again, interest in hedge fund return replication as a cheaper means of obtaining hedge fund-like returns is growing steadily. Currently, there are various products on offer. Compared to real hedge funds (of funds), all of them offer improved liquidity, transparency, capacity, etc. and thereby solve a range of problems surrounding hedge fund investment. There are, however, substantial differences in terms of their attraction as portfolio diversifiers. The multi-strategy replication products offered by Merrill Lynch (Factor Index), Goldman Sachs (ART Index), and Partners Group (ABS fund) exhibit a strong correlation with the stock market. This severely limits these products' attraction as portfolio diversifiers. FundCreator does not necessarily replicate any specific fund or index, but allows investors to design their own diversifier from scratch. This gives investors a unique opportunity to create new tailor-made diversifiers with characteristics that are optimal given their existing portfolios. Clearly, this makes FundCreator-based synthetic funds much more attractive than the various multi-strategy hedge fund replication and alternative beta products currently on offer.
LH

Post by LH »

french fama section aka a 3 factor section?
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Fama-French 3-factors

Post by Barry Barnitz »

LH wrote:french fama section aka a 3 factor section?
Hi:

We have a section devoted to market factors in the US Stock Topic. Here is the link.

regards,
pkcrafter

Library

Post by pkcrafter »

The reference library contains a tremendous amount of useful information, but it isn't organized well. For instance, the title of "books" contains 22 posts with several having their own list of book recommendations. This is simply daunting to a new reader. What are the books that will provide the most useful information for newbies?

I think the librarians should take the suggestions deemed most useful from the "books"post and present them in one single sticky post. One section for new readers containing no more than maybe 6 books and another section for advanced reading containing maybe a dozen books.

The list of suggestions could still remain for those interested in other books with somewhat different themes. I'd suggest this system for all major headings such as asset allocation, etc. The underlying idea is that the library should be structured and organized in a manner most useful for posters looking for information. Too many random suggestions is overwhelming and misses the mark.

thank you,

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
xenial

Post by xenial »

pkcrafter wrote:I think the librarians should take the suggestions deemed most useful from the "books"post and present them in one single sticky post. One section for new readers containing no more than maybe 6 books and another section for advanced reading containing maybe a dozen books.
Paul, I don't disagree with this suggestion, but your proposal sounds an awful lot like the diehards.org list of investing books.

Best wishes,
Ken
pkcrafter

Diehards list

Post by pkcrafter »

Hi Ken,

Yes it does sound like it could be the Diehards list. The problem here for new readers is first finding the Diehards recommended list and second, being able to distinguish that list from the many other recommendations. There certainly are many excellent recommendations, but for newbies, a short list is probably much more helpful.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
InvestingMom

Suggestion

Post by InvestingMom »

Why not have a sticky or some sort of reminder on the Investing and Personal Finance Forum to have newbies go to the reference library for popular topics?

Also, is there a topic in the reference library for how to allocate funds between taxable and nontaxable accounts? This is one I like to refer back to often?
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: Suggestion

Post by Barry Barnitz »

InvestingMom wrote:Why not have a sticky or some sort of reminder on the Investing and Personal Finance Forum to have newbies go to the reference library for popular topics?

Also, is there a topic in the reference library for how to allocate funds between taxable and nontaxable accounts? This is one I like to refer back to often?
The easiest means of locating topics in the Reference Library is to use the Table of Contents. The sections dealing with Asset Location, taxable account investing, and retirement and tax-deferred investing should help fit the bill.

We attempt to accomodate "newbies" by providing definitions and basic information in the initial topic post, with more involved and complex references for succeeding posts. Given the architechtural structure of a conversation forum (which is how the reference library is structured) there are limits to how precise one can organize materials and maintain integrity of authorship.

The simplest means for adding a basic reading course is to provide a link to the diehards org link in the initial book topics post. This link combined with Taylor's "gems" link is probably the best introductory solution for beginners.

If you think it would be helpful, I can provide links to affilitated topics in the initial topic posts for many topics. ( I have already done this in the Asset Location Topic). Perhaps including a return link to the Table of Contents in each topic will also prove helpful.

We also try to provide a degree of organization by titling post entries; since post titles are indistinct, perhaps you will find it helpful if we also give the post title greater prominence by placing it inside the post.

regards,
gbs
Wiki Admin

Post by gbs »

pkcrafter wrote:Hi Ken,

Yes it does sound like it could be the Diehards list. The problem here for new readers is first finding the Diehards recommended list and second, being able to distinguish that list from the many other recommendations. There certainly are many excellent recommendations, but for newbies, a short list is probably much more helpful.

Paul
Hi Paul,

The way in which is now is that you have various posters and you also get to see their personal views re books.

Alternatively as we did with the commodities post we can reorder the list of books as more poster express a preference toward them.

You can also make a post with the books that you liked.

gbs
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

More For Paul

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Paul:

We also have a Topic especially geared for the novice investor:

Investing: For Beginners

Forum members have provided book recommendations here with novices in mind. This topic is one to which you might want to contribute and also keep in mind when referring novices to the library.

regards,
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

In Re: Mutual Fund Costs

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Reactions to the Topic Mutual Fund Costs

from Taylor Larimore
Hi Barry:
Thank you for these important links and quotes showing the important detrimental effect of costs on mutual fund returns.

Best wishes.
Taylor
and from Rich
Don't take my word for it. Ask Warren Buffett. Ask his mentor, Benjamin Graham. Ask Jack Meyer, the remarkably successful wizard who tripled the Harvard Endowment Fund from $8 billion to $27 billion. Here's what he had to say:

"Most people think they can find managers who can outperform, but most people are wrong. I will say that 85 percent to 90 percent of managers fail to match their benchmarks. Because managers have fees and incur transaction costs, you know that in the aggregate they are deleting value. The investment business is a giant scam."

When asked, "can private investors draw any lessons from what Harvard does?" Mr. Meyer answered: "Yes." He then recounted the lessons. "First, get diversified. Come up with a portfolio that covers a lot of asset classes. Second, you want to keep your fees low.' That means avoiding the most hyped but expensive funds, in favor of low-cost index funds. No doubt about it. And finally, invest for the long term."
This is from Mr. Bogle's In Investing You Get What You Don't Pay For which is linked in a post above.

It is pretty powerful when you have Yale's David Swensen and (formally) Harvard's Jack Meyer preaching the same thing.
moved from Topic Post
Last edited by Barry Barnitz on Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

mingstar wrote:This is an update to the January 1, 2005 posting number 133613, nee 38726, on the Morningstar Vanguard Diehards Forum by Roger (statsguy) and Taylor Larimore.

The content is the same. I simply updated the links to correspond to the new posting numbers on that forum.

Thanks again Roger and Taylor!
Happy New Year!

Larry

FOR NEW DIEHARDS

Tips for Asking Your Fund Selection Questions
Conversation 19909 (OPT 4382)

How to Create Your Investment Plan from Vanguard.com

Visit our sister website, Diehards.org.

Abbreviations
Conversation 38559 (OPT 10531)

Active vs. Passive
Conversation 114375 (OPT 35180)

Advisers
Conversation 58657 (OPT 18361)
Conversation 69042 (OPT 22448)
Conversation 78893 (OPT 25768)

Annuities
Conversation 131151 (OPT 38119)

Asset Allocation
Conversation 16613 (OPT 3318)
Conversation 66472 (OPT 21336)
Conversation 113860 (OPT 35075)
Conversation 127309 (OPT 37402)

Asset Classes-Risk and Return
Conversation 26384 Reply 13 (OPT 6297)

"Back to Basics" (Rick Ferri)
Conversation 77233 (OPT 25279)

Balanced Fund
Conversation 16325 Reply 3 (OPT 3210)
Conversation 130360 (OPT 37922)

Barbell Portfolio
Conversation 30150 (OPT 7615)

Bear Markets
Conversation 15588 (OPT 2969)
Conversation 30180 (OPT 7628)
Conversation 62185 Reply 13 (OPT 19649)

Bogle Q&A (Ask the Expert Forum)
Ask the Expert Forum, Conversation 665

Bogle, "Twelve Pillars of Wisdom"
Conversation 27027 (OPT 6497)

Bogle's Year-End Message
Conversation 52827 (OPT 16038)

Boglehead Contest
Conversation 53210 (OPT 16214)
Conversation 76725 (OPT 25102)
Conversation 131068 (OPT 38100)

Bond Fund Selection
Conversation 5644 (OPT 307)
Conversation 27774 (OPT 6750)

Bond Yield vs. Total Return
Conversation 58761 Reply 6 (OPT 18397)

Bonds and Rising Rates
Conversation 116350 (OPT 35542)

Bonds--Are They Necessary?
Conversation 13086 Reply 8 (OPT 2237)
Conversation 13475 (OPT 2384)

Bonds--Hi-Yield
Conversation 48289 (OPT 14436)
Conversation 61753 (OPT 19506)

Bonds--Individual or Funds?
Conversation 102965 (OPT 32739)
Conversation 107847 (OPT 33956)

Bonds--Tax-Exempt vs I-Bonds
Conversation 29008 (OPT 7202)
Conversation 99193 (OPT 31620)

Bond/TIPS Combo
Conversation 36487 (OPT 9792)

Book Recommendations
Conversation 28207 (OPT 6936)
Conversation 35451 (OPT 9439)
Conversation 102095 (OPT 32491)

Callan Periodic Table
Conversation 106821 (OPT 33740)
Conversation 132021 (OPT 38329)

College Savings
Conversation 43179 (OPT 12304)
Conversation 105151 (OPT 33347)

Commodities
Conversation 96495 (OPT 30864)

Correlation
Conversation 61065 (OPT 19250)
Conversation 106683 (OPT 33706)
Conversation 129458 (OPT 37727)

Costs
Conversation 101796 (OPT 32405)
Conversation 104016 (OPT 33033)
Conversation 130170 (OPT 37878)

Dimensional Fund Advisors (DFA)
Conversation 28203 Reply 3 (OPT 6933)
Conversation 121659 (OPT 36475)

Diehard I in Miami
Conversation 22160 (OPT 4976)
Conversation 22183 (OPT 4980)
Conversation 22233 (OPT 4997)
Conversation 22234 (OPT 4998)
Conversation 22897 (OPT 5179)
Conversation 23696 (OPT 5423)

Diehard II at Vanguard (photos)
Conversation 42459 (OPT 11984)

Diehard III at Morningstar
Conversation 65304 (OPT 20883)
Conversation 65540 (OPT 20982)
Conversation 65859 (OPT 21080)

Diehard IV at Denver
Conversation 100331 (photos in Reply 30) (OPT 31970)

Diehard Mistakes
Conversation 17873 (OPT 3758)

Diehard Portfolios
Conversation 77547 (OPT 25391)
Conversation 111594 (OPT 34672)
Conversation 118684 Jack Bogle's 2004 Portfolio (OPT 36021)

Diehard Resumes
Conversation 17422 (OPT 3594)
Conversation 19196 (OPT 4209)
Conversation 25827 (OPT 6122)
Conversation 87256 (OPT 28109)

Directed Beneficiary Plan
Conversation 22058 Reply 1 (OPT 4958)

Dollar-Cost-Averaging
Conversation 77730 (OPT 25456)

EE Bonds
Conversation 61356 (OPT 19359)
Conversation 66476 (OPT 21338)

Efficient Market Theory (EMT)
Conversation 24735 (OPT 5756)

Efficient Market Theory (MPT)
Conversation 24735 (OPT 5756)

Emergency Cash
Conversation 27113 (OPT 6523)
Conversation 49663 (OPT 14859)

Emerging Markets
Conversation 7373 (OPT 681)
Conversation 58659 (OPT 18362)

Eric Haas Reading Room
Conversation 69487 Reply 3 (OPT 22627)

ETF
Conversation 35899 (OPT 9584)
Conversation 97620 (OPT 31161)
Conversation 98474 (OPT 31414)

ETF VIPERS or Mutual Funds?
Conversation 31311 (OPT 8061)
Conversation 49031 (OPT 14651)
Conversation 97620 (OPT 31161)

ETF and Tax-Efficiency
Conversation 29042 (OPT 7210)

Fees at Vanguard
Conversation 58638 (OPT 18355)

Finances Under Control? (J. Clements)
Conversation 117718 (OPT 35809)

Financial Engines (Monte Carlo)
Conversation 69704 (OPT 22704)
Conversation 77717 (OPT 25449)
Conversation 123171 (OPT 36751)

First Command
Conversation 122344 (OPT 36606)
Conversation 132270 (OPT 38392)

Four-Fund Portfolio
Conversation 89467 Reply 2 (OPT 28839)
Conversation 124873 (OPT 37024)
Conversation 128297 (OPT 37543)

Fund Alarm
Conversation 114095 (OPT 35128)

Fund Companies. How Many?
Conversation 34866 Reply 1 (OPT 9224)

"Gem Collection"
Conversation 110621 (OPT 34503)
Conversation 166409 (OPT 47299)

Glossary of Financial Terms
Conversation 46129 (OPT 13536)

Healthcare Fund
Conversation 110686 (OPT 34515)

"Here Come the Bogleheads"
Conversation 106947 (link in Reply 3) (OPT 33775)

I-Bonds (Mel's Tutorial)
Conversation 26424 (OPT 6312)
Conversation 87534 (OPT 28211)

Index Descriptions
Conversation 32685 (OPT 8507)

Indexing
Conversation 55163 (OPT 17131)
Conversation 43654 (OPT 12480)
Conversation 125483 (OPT 37131)

International--Index vs. Managed
Conversation 5958 (OPT 373)
Conversation 9247 (OPT 1135)

IRA Conversions
Conversation 97585 (OPT 31148)
Conversation 99942 (OPT 31843)

IRAs--Non-Deductible
Conversation 127188 (OPT 37387)

Joint Tenancy
Conversation 27267 (OPT 6577)

Journal of Indexes
Conversation 85291 (OPT 27474)

Life Strategy Funds
Conversation 118333 (OPT 35946)

Long Term Capital Management
Conversation 89877 (OPT 28972)

Malkiel Portfolio's
Conversation 9507 (OPT 1211)

Market Timing
Conversation 53330 (OPT 16277)
Conversation 69930 (OPT 22804)
Conversation 72647 (OPT 23765)
Conversation 107460 (OPT 33869)
Conversation 109163 (OPT 34223)
Conversation 113135 (OPT 34948)
Conversation 120432 (OPT 36301)

Mid-Caps (Mel's Unloved)
Conversation 27802 (OPT 6766)

Modern Portfolio Theory (MPT)
Conversation 23596 (OPT 5391)
Conversation 124512 (OPT 36960)

Momentum Investing
Conversation 131551 (OPT 38206)

Money Market Funds
Conversation 15767 , R1 (OPT 3026)

Money Market or Short-Term Bond Fund
Conversation 56808 (OPT 17753)

Morningstar Stars
Conversation 44927 (OPT 12974)

Newsletters
Conversation 93233 Reply 10 (OPT 29951)

Nine Most Successful Investors
Conversation 9902 (OPT 1338)

One Company or More?
Conversation 121683 Reply 4 (OPT 36477)

One-Hundred-Thousand Posts
Conversation 49804 (OPT 14899)

Overseas with Vanguard
Conversation 58640 (OPT 18357)

Past Performance
Conversation 53788 (OPT 16493)
Conversation 120828 (OPT 36359)
Conversation 132402 (OPT 38428)

Portfolio's
Conversation 103161 (OPT 32790)
Conversation 121324 (OPT 36433)
Conversation 131227 (OPT 38134)

Quotes About Investing
Conversation 70920 (OPT 23175)

Rebalancing
Conversation 26278 (OPT 6264)
Conversation 30042 (OPT 7561)
Conversation 32614 (OPT 8475)
Conversation 78383 (OPT 25643)
Conversation 122762 (OPT 36689)

REIT
Conversation 111089 (OPT 34580)

Sauter Q&A (Ask the Expert Forum)
Conversation 8954 Ask the Expert Forum (OPT 1046)

(William) Sharpe on Indexing
Conversation 117429 (OPT 35753)

Simplicity
Conversation 45072 (OPT 13053)
Conversation 102883 (OPT 32713)
Conversation 127564 (OPT 37442)

Small-Caps
Conversation 28869 (OPT 7154)

Stay-the-Course
Conversation 78814 (OPT 25751)
Conversation 78891 (OPT 25766)
Conversation 125214 (OPT 37086)

Stocks vs. Funds
Conversation 17290 (OPT 3552)
Conversation 29327 (OPT 7318)
Conversation 70395 (OPT 22981)
Conversation 77711 (OPT 25446)
Conversation 124710 (OPT 36991)

Survivorship Bias
Conversation 118800 (OPT 36038)

Target Retirement Funds
Conversation 96479 (OPT 30862)
Conversation 118333 (OPT 35946)

Tax Tips
Conversation 43915 (OPT 12575)
Conversation 132395 (OPT 38426)

Taxable Accounts and Managed Funds
Conversation 58647 (OPT 18359)

Tax-Managed Funds
Conversation 25480 (OPT 5999)

Tax-Minimizing Capital Gains
Conversation 27715 (OPT 6728)

Tax-Placement of Funds
Conversation 86026 Reply 2 (OPT 27700)

Tax-Specific Identification Method
Conversation 55310 (OPT 17188)
Conversation 74070 (OPT 24232)

Ten-Thousand Posts
Conversation 57721 (OPT 18027)

Thanksgiving Day Messages
Conversation 74337 (OPT 24321)
Conversation 130690 (OPT 38010)

"This is all I Know" (Taylor)
Conversation 41827 (OPT 11713)

Three Hundred Thousand Posts
Conversation 123518 (OPT 36819)

TIPS
Conversation 25699 (OPT 6071)
Conversation 46414 (OPT 13673)
Conversation 50562 (OPT 15137)
Conversation 78384 (OPT 25644)
Conversation 60046 (OPT 18858)

Total Stock Market Fund (TSM)
Conversation 128326 (OPT 37549)

Total Stock Market vs. Tax-Managed Funds
Conversation 18723 (OPT 4058)

Total Stock Market vs S&P 500:
Conversation 35732 (OPT 9551)

Tributes to Diehard Forum
Conversation 85266 (OPT 27468)
Conversation 123518 (OPT 36819)
Conversation 133102 (OPT 38587)

TSM vs. Slice & Dice
Conversation 32562 (OPT 8459)
Conversation 49245 (OPT 14725)
Conversation 62945 (OPT 19922)
Conversation 109423 (OPT 34269)
Conversation 130709 (OPT 38014)

Universal Life Insurance
Conversation 21821 (OPT 4896)

Vanguard Brokerage Service (VBS)
Conversation 38213 (OPT 10400)

Vanguard Manager Turnover
Conversation 53616 (OPT 16414)

Vanguard Performance
Conversation 83147 (OPT 26874)

Vanguard Personal Services
Conversation 64305 (OPT 20463)
Conversation 107689 (OPT 33919)
Conversation 116747 (OPT 35610)

Vanguard Safe?
Conversation 26942 (OPT 6469)
Conversation 57648 (OPT 17996)
Conversation 67772 (OPT 21889)

Voyager & Flagship Perks
Conversation 132130 (OPT 38358)

Wall Street Journal--Taylor & Pat
Conversation 53535 (OPT 16374)

(Dan) Wiener's Adviser Online Newsletter
Conversation 114623 (OPT 35220)
Conversation 132677 (OPT 38499)

Welcome New Posters
Conversation 126712 (OPT 37306)

Who's Who in Investing
Conversation 114073 (OPT 35119)

Windfalls (Gifts, Inheritances)
Conversation 53616 (OPT 16414)

Withdrawing in Retirement
Conversation 26386 Reply 6 (OPT 6299)
Conversation 87142 (OPT 28069)
Conversation 126191 (OPT 37223)

Welcome New Posters
Conversation 163526 (OPT 46263)
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

LInenfort:

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Linenfort asks:

"Could someone please add MPL to the glossary? Thanks."

If you mean MLP, it is shorthand for Master Limited Partnership.

Note: Please use this Suggestions To The Librarians Topic for asking questions, making requests, or offering comments.

Thanks,
Barry
grok87

401k plans

Post by grok87 »

Barry
How about a thread for 401k plans. I'm thinking of information that might be helpful for those running or advising on 401k plans. Here's an inaugural link, if you think it is worth a separate thread (you may have been the one to post his originally).
http://ici.org/home/fm-v16n4.pdf
cheers
grok
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Retirement Plan Providers

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi Grok:

We have a post section in the Topic: Retirement and Tax Deferred Investing which is designed to cover your areas of concern. The post is titled Fiduciary Standards.

If you, or another forum participant, have additional entries you would like to include in this topic, please post them and I will add worthy entries to the sub-topic, as always, crediting the contributor.

regards,
Barry
grok87

Re: Retirement Plan Providers

Post by grok87 »

Barry Barnitz wrote:Hi Grok:

We have a post section in the Topic: Retirement and Tax Deferred Investing which is designed to cover your areas of concern. The post is titled Fiduciary Standards.

If you, or another forum participant, have additional entries you would like to include in this topic, please post them and I will add worthy entries to the sub-topic, as always, crediting the contributor.

regards,
Barry
Hi Barry,
Thanks- I agree that that's the right place for that paper.
cheers
grok
bob90245

Post by bob90245 »

I just competed a four-part series of articles on Immediate Annuities:

1) Immediate Annuities in Retirement
2) Annuities: A Primer
3) Pros and Cons of Immediate Annuities
4) Immediate Annuities Links Page
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

bob90245 wrote:I just competed a four-part series of articles on Immediate Annuities:

1) Immediate Annuities in Retirement
2) Annuities: A Primer
3) Pros and Cons of Immediate Annuities
4) Immediate Annuities Links Page
Thanks for the work, Bob!
timid investor

Post by timid investor »

dlpmpls

401K FAQ

Post by dlpmpls »

Here's a nice list of 401K FAQ's

401K FAQ

Dan
Caution Monkey Throwing Darts
bob90245

A Section on "the futility of market timing"

Post by bob90245 »

Copied from another post:
NoMoreInvestingExcitement wrote:
bob90245 wrote:
NoMoreInvestingExcitement wrote:I should have checked for this before posting, but if there isn't already something in the library re: "the futility of market timing," maybe that could be arranged. That way, we could all refer new questioners on this topic to a standard reference and tell them to come back with further specific questions, if necessary.

I looked in the Reference Library and didn't see a thread devoted to "the futility of market timing". The closest was a thread on "Active vs. Passive Investing". But that didn't really touch on market timing; it was mostly index funds versus managed funds.

Look, I doubt there will be a paper that can fully satisfy your requirement. Someone will always find something that makes market timing plausible. For example, Marketwatch.com columnist, Mark Hulbert, follows dozens of market timing newsletters. And he will readily admit that most market timers underperform buy-and-hold. But then he writes about a subset of market timers who he says seem to know what they're doing and has a better than average record. It makes for compelling reading but who knows if Hulbert has found the "Holy Grail".

In the end, it just comes down to persuasive logic. The best that I've come up with goes like this:
  • Over the course of one's investing lifetime, there will several bull-bear cycles. Getting out near the top and in near the bottom will be very tricky the first time, extremely difficult a second time and good luck getting it right throughout your investing lifetime.
Oh, I realize of course that there isn't going to be one source which we can point to in order to dissuade would-be market timers.

But maybe a compilation of relevant threads could be listed in the library under some heading like I suggested (or maybe "Why Diehards Don't Attempt To Time The Market"). That way, much of the repetition that was the subject of the OP could be handled initially with a referral to the library along with an invitation to re-post if necessary.

Just a thought...
http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic ... 802#150802
gbs
Wiki Admin

Post by gbs »

Guys,

you might want to consider posting directly in the topic of interest in the library.

The library is organized by Barry and me but the content is mostly user generated.

If you find something worth of inclusion go ahead... write a comprehensive post or add the links directly to to topic of interest.

Regards, gbs
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Ratings (Best's, Moody's, etc.): interesting article

Post by nisiprius »

http://www.insurancejournal.com/magazin ... /42616.htm

Doesn't actually answer any of the practical questions I have, but I thought it was a very interesting article on how the different raters, historical background on ratings, etc.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Valuethinker

US Defined Benefit Transfers

Post by Valuethinker »

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29088

Couvman's post re pension transfer values is very important (and could be urgent!) for many Boggleheads with defined benefit plan assets.
mikep

HSA wiki correction

Post by mikep »

A note should be added that HSA contributions/earnings are subject to state income tax in CA and a few other states (not sure of the others). That may make the hassle of investing it not worth it.

Please see Health Savings Account on the Bogleheads Wiki.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: HSA wiki correction

Post by Barry Barnitz »

mikep wrote:A note should be added that HSA contributions/earnings are subject to state income tax in CA and a few other states (not sure of the others). That may make the hassle of investing it not worth it.

Please see Health Savings Account on the Bogleheads Wiki.
Thanks Mikep. I have added a note and link to state taxation of HSA contributions and earnings.

Please see Health Savings Account on the Bogleheads Wiki for the update.

regards,
anthau

Armstrong lazy portfolio?

Post by anthau »

Shouldn't the Frank Armstrong portfolio in the lazy portfolio section of the wiki be 9% small value, 6% small blend instead of visa-versa?
Best, | | Anth
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: Armstrong lazy portfolio?

Post by Barry Barnitz »

anthau wrote:Shouldn't the Frank Armstrong portfolio in the lazy portfolio section of the wiki be 9% small value, 6% small blend instead of visa-versa?
Hi Anthau:
I have corrected the values in the table; however revising the graphic will have to wait until someone skilled enough with graphics undertakes a corrected version.

regards,
Gill

Wiki - RMD vs. Annuitization

Post by Gill »

The final paragraph of this Wiki is inaccurate. It states that the final distribution will go to the estate. In fact, the final distribution will go to the person or entity that is the designated beneficiary.

Bruce
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: Wiki - RMD vs. Annuitization

Post by Barry Barnitz »

MBMiner wrote:The final paragraph of this Wiki is inaccurate. It states that the final distribution will go to the estate. In fact, the final distribution will go to the person or entity that is the designated beneficiary.

Bruce
I have edited the final paragraph. Please see Required Minimum Distribution vs Annuitization on the Bogleheads Wiki.

thanks,
AnimalCrackers

Post by AnimalCrackers »

Please see G Fund on the Bogleheads Wiki.

Section: G Fund and Inflation

Second graf, third sentence includes "loose," should be "lose."
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson
iceport

Investment Policy Statement

Post by iceport »

Hi Wiki editors,

A recent conversation led me to the "Investment Policy Statement" Wiki page. The link to M*'s "Classroom" tutorial is a great inclusion. May I also suggest a link to this excellent 8-15-02 article by Sue Stevens at the M* website, which appears to follow the same format as the tutorial?

Creating Your Investment Policy Statement

And thank you for creating a tremendous new resource for small investors in the Bogleheads' Wiki!

Thanks!

--Pete
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: Investment Policy Statement

Post by Barry Barnitz »

petrico wrote:Hi Wiki editors,

A recent conversation led me to the "Investment Policy Statement" Wiki page. The link to M*'s "Classroom" tutorial is a great inclusion. May I also suggest a link to this excellent 8-15-02 article by Sue Stevens at the M* website, which appears to follow the same format as the tutorial?

Creating Your Investment Policy Statement

And thank you for creating a tremendous new resource for small investors in the Bogleheads' Wiki!

Thanks!

--Pete
Hi Pete,

I have added the link. Please see Investment Policy Statement on the Bogleheads Wiki.

regards,
LH

add iREIT into abbreviations?

Post by LH »

add iREIT into abbreviations for international REITS?

have a nice day,

LH
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Re: add iREIT into abbreviations?

Post by Barry Barnitz »

LH wrote:add iREIT into abbreviations for international REITS?

have a nice day,

LH
Thanks,

We have added iREITS to the abbreviations page. Please see Forum Abbreviations and Acronyms on the Bogleheads Wiki.

By the way, the linked wiki page (Please see International REITs on the Bogleheads Wiki) is a stub waiting for development.

regards,
terminer

Possible updates to the UK investing page ?

Post by terminer »

Just reading the uk investing page and there's some updates I think you could consider (I can't put links/refs in because I'm a new boglehead and am rejected by the spambot - but hopefully this is still useful !).

- Vanguard have launched and are available to retail investors through Alliance Trust.

- In response to Vanguard, HSBC have greatly reduced charges on their index funds from Sept 2009 - there's an article on uk morningstar giving all the details of the new competitive (at last !) TER's. Search HSBC TER in the fund section. This gives useful funds such as Pacific index, FTSE-250 small companies etc at competitive rates.

- There is a short term bond fund now available - iShares FTSE Gilts UK 0-5 (IGLS)
TER 0.2%, duration 2.24 yrs.

- I think there's a small error in the "general approach" section. Gives the impression that the L&G/Fidelity TER's are 0.5 and 1.0 respectively - should be 1.0 and 0.35 respectively.

- I would suggest changing the L&G global 100 recommendation to the Aviva Investors International Index SC1 fund- it's slightly cheaper at TER 0.95% and a much wider range of the total market. More in keeping with the bogle philosophy I would have thought. I would also suggest putting the new Vanguard FTSE Developed Market ex-UK fund in as well since its available now and cheaper.

Hope this helps,

Rgds,

John G.