RiverRight

Re: Please Try Out Test Posts Here

Post by RiverRight »

First Post test.

Cheers,
RiverRight

Post by RiverRight »

RiverRight wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:26 pm First Post test.
Another test with smiley face. :|
cflannagan

Post by cflannagan »

Is there a way for me to give links a title on Boglehead forum?

Ie: instead of people seeing this:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... tion2_1=50

They would see (not a real link but you get the idea):

A backtest of 50/50 VTI/BND

Possible?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes! The right side of the post editing area has a link "BBCode is ON".

Clicking on the link goes to the BBCode guide, then go to Linking to another site which explains how to do it.

If you want to do this in no time flat (what I'm doing), see Re: Linking wiki articles into forum posts and the following post.

Use this thread for practice. Here's your example:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&timePeriod=4&startYear=1985&firstMonth=1&endYear=2021&lastMonth=12&calendarAligned=true&includeYTD=false&initialAmount=10000&annualOperation=0&annualAdjustment=0&inflationAdjusted=true&annualPercentage=0.0&frequency=4&rebalanceType=1&absoluteDeviation=5.0&relativeDeviation=25.0&leverageType=0&leverageRatio=0.0&debtAmount=0&debtInterest=0.0&maintenanceMargin=25.0&leveragedBenchmark=false&reinvestDividends=true&showYield=false&showFactors=false&factorModel=3&portfolioNames=false&portfolioName1=Portfolio+1&portfolioName2=Portfolio+2&portfolioName3=Portfolio+3&symbol1=VTI&allocation1_1=50&symbol2=BND&allocation2_1=50]A backtest of 50/50 VTI/BND[/url]
which appears as A backtest of 50/50 VTI/BND
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
cflannagan

Post by cflannagan »

A backtest of 50/50 VTI/BND

Awesome, thank you LadyGeek! :sharebeer
tjc1957

Post by tjc1957 »

testing one two three....
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

livesoft wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:52 am Now that this Wash Sale thing is all settled, the forum should have another thread on this until 2022.
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

livesoft wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:52 am Now that this Wash Sale thing is all settled, the forum should [sic] have another thread on this until 2022.
UsualLine

Post by UsualLine »

testing an image.

UsualLine

Post by UsualLine »

HansT

Post by HansT »

testing a new sig
Please donate to support BH! https://bogleheads.org/support.php
dratkinson

How to highlight text in a webpage search.

Post by dratkinson »

Stumbled across this. Posting it here to remember.

This is how to link to a web page and highlight text on that page.

Example. I want to highlight the 3rd paragraph under point Five on webpage: https://fitaxguy.com/top-5-hsa-tips/
--The paragraph begins with: "This last step will"
--And ends with: "New Jersey tax return."

Ignore double-quotes.

The URL search is constructed as:
--I want to search and highlight text: "#:~:text="
--Beginning of text to highlight: "This last step will"
--Separator for beginning/ending text: ","
--Ending of text to highlight: "New Jersey tax return."

So embedded text search/highlight is: "#:~:text=This last step will, New Jersey tax return"

Webpage URL with embedded text search/highlight: "https://fitaxguy.com/top-5-hsa-tips/#:~:text=This last step, New Jersey tax return"
This will NOT work if posted because of embedded spaces.

But when constructed on browser address line, browser translates it at execution to ("space" replaced by "%20"): https://fitaxguy.com/top-5-hsa-tips/#:~ ... x%20return
This will work if posted.

This feature could come in handy to quickly point folks to specific points on a reference webpage.

I was wondering what else can this feature can do? If we have multiple points:
--Can this feature highlight multiple sections at a time? Meaning we'd only need to construct one URL.
--Or only one section at a time? Meaning we'd need to construct multiple URLs.

Does anyone know of a URL that explains this web text search/highlight feature? My quick search didn't find anything.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Re: How to highlight text in a webpage search.

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

dratkinson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:52 pm But when constructed on browser address line, browser translates it at execution to ("space" replaced by "%20"): https://fitaxguy.com/top-5-hsa-tips/#:~ ... x%20return
A couple of data points. The behaviour works with Edge and Chrome browsers on iPad, but doesn't work with Safari on an iPad.
dratkinson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:52 pm Does anyone know of a URL that explains this web text search/highlight feature? My quick search didn't find anything.
Based on the above I would suggest it is something in Chromium (base for both Edge and Chrome) and not a web standard.

Added: Read Google launches featured snippet to web page content highlight feature
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:19 pm
dratkinson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:52 pm But when constructed on browser address line, browser translates it at execution to ("space" replaced by "%20"): https://fitaxguy.com/top-5-hsa-tips/#:~ ... x%20return
A couple of data points. The behaviour works with Edge and Chrome browsers on iPad, but doesn't work with Safari on an iPad.
dratkinson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:52 pm Does anyone know of a URL that explains this web text search/highlight feature? My quick search didn't find anything.
Based on the above I would suggest it is something in Chromium (base for both Edge and Chrome) and not a web standard.

Added: Read Google launches featured snippet to web page content highlight feature
Bummer. Was hoping it was a general capability. (Mine: Win10 desktop PC, Chrome browser.)

Thanks for the link.

Never mind. Will just continue to verbally point folks to chapter and verse.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:19 pm

+1.

It's not a standard. Maybe it'll become one, maybe not.

Here's another article that talks about "Text Fragments" https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/06 ... extension/. It talks about the problem with spaces.

It also links to another site that shows current level of support for Text Fragments in various browsers.
midoxidil

Post by midoxidil »

midoxidil

test

Post by midoxidil »

JoMoney

Re: test

Post by JoMoney »

midoxidil wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:26 pm Image
It's not working if your intent was for the image to be displayed.
Also, the below forum thread is the place for test posts ;)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

testing smileys in the sig. [Edit. Nope, not the way I want it to look...lol] Another edit: didn't realize there was a sig preview right there on the page where one edits the signature! :)
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

Hello World.

Just posting here as a random post.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

secondopinion wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:50 pm Hello World.

Hello World isn't very random, it's actually quite common 🤣
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
secondopinion

Post by secondopinion »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:25 pm
secondopinion wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:50 pm Hello World.

Hello World isn't very random, it's actually quite common 🤣
The message is not random; me posting here at this time is random.
Passive investing: not about making big bucks but making profits. Active investing: not about beating the market but meeting goals. Speculation: not about timing the market but taking profitable risks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:25 pm Hello World isn't very random, it's actually quite common 🤣
Actually, it's Hello, world! (with punctuation)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rojas65

Post by rojas65 »

testing bold bold text and italics hereitalic.
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Test posting image

Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Groundhog wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:17 pm Test posting image

You need to post the Direct link, i.e.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/sXHFqJqh/9-FFE06-D0-51-AE-448-A-B51-E-35-DE49-CE2-F52.jpg[/img]
which results in:
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:19 pm
Groundhog wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:17 pm Test posting image

You need to post the Direct link, i.e.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/sXHFqJqh/9-FFE06-D0-51-AE-448-A-B51-E-35-DE49-CE2-F52.jpg[/img]
which results in:
Thanks!
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

^ This is something that we see here fairly often. Members will upload their image file to their preferred hosting platform, then will try to post here using the URL of the page where they see their image hosted. It needs to be a direct link to the image file itself, rather than the URL of the page hosting the image. Depending on one's browser, generally this link can be obtained by right-clicking on the displayed image and selecting "Copy image address" (in Chrome/Chromium) or "Copy image link" (in Firefox).
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:00 pm ^ This is something that we see here fairly often. Members will upload their image file to their preferred hosting platform, then will try to post here using the URL of the page where they see their image hosted. It needs to be a direct link to the image file itself, rather than the URL of the page hosting the image. Depending on one's browser, generally this link can be obtained by right-clicking on the displayed image and selecting "Copy image address" (in Chrome/Chromium) or "Copy image link" (in Firefox).
Or "Open image in new tab" in both Chrome and Firefox. This does what it says, giving a preview of the link.

In addition, using the Preview button before using Submit, shows how the post will look in this forum without actually posting it. This provides an opportunity to catch formatting issues and fix them before doing the final Submit.
TX_Aggie

Post by TX_Aggie »

Howdy, I'm a brand new member of this forum. I posted a question yesterday and am currently replying to my replies. Very happy about the responses.

I understand how to quote parts of replies to make my response clear.

One question I have, is how can I @reply somebody so they see I've mentioned them? Is that a thing? I can tell I can put there name and hyperlink to their profile but I don't think that would "notify" somebody I mentioned them. Maybe I've lived in a Twitter / Facebook world for too long.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

TX_Aggie wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:46 pm Howdy, I'm a brand new member of this forum. I posted a question yesterday and am currently replying to my replies. Very happy about the responses.

I understand how to quote parts of replies to make my response clear.

One question I have, is how can I @reply somebody so they see I've mentioned them? Is that a thing? I can tell I can put there name and hyperlink to their profile but I don't think that would "notify" somebody I mentioned them. Maybe I've lived in a Twitter / Facebook world for too long.
You can @reply somebody by quoting their post. It's not guaranteed, but if they have notifications enabled, they'll see it.

User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Edit notification options (generic link that goes to the right screen) "Someone quotes you in a post " will update the "Notifications" menu at the top of the forum page.

Anyone posting in a thread you've also posted in will update the Your posts (Quick links menu at the top-left of the page), so they'll see that as well.
TX_Aggie

Post by TX_Aggie »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:55 pm You can @reply somebody by quoting their post. It's not guaranteed, but if they have notifications enabled, they'll see it.

User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Edit notification options (generic link that goes to the right screen) "Someone quotes you in a post " will update the "Notifications" menu at the top of the forum page.

Anyone posting in a thread you've also posted in will update the Your posts (Quick links menu at the top-left of the page), so they'll see that as well.
Thanks for the tips! I didn't notice a notifications in the Notifications section in the top right of the page when you quoted me. I'll watch for that next time. I did enable email-me when somebody quotes me. So I should see that.

thanks!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

TX_Aggie wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:16 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:55 pm You can @reply somebody by quoting their post. It's not guaranteed, but if they have notifications enabled, they'll see it.

You can set notification to be received in two formats: by Email, and/or by Notifications section.

Thanks for the tips! I didn't notice a notifications in the Notifications section in the top right of the page when you quoted me. I'll watch for that next time. I did enable email-me when somebody quotes me. So I should see that.

thanks!

Notice. The implied recipient of my reply is TX-Aggie.

But you can also comment on the replies of others... just make it clear which words are yours.

You may see this technique used when you request your forum review and someone embeds their answers inline with your quoted text.

Email notifications were nice, when Notifications didn't exist. But I believe the Notifications section to be the simpler option. Why?
--You must clean out your email Inbox after receiving email notifications. A minor hassle.
--The Notifications section is a newer feature and clears itself when you follow a link (open in new tab, for simplicity)---less stuff to manage.

Try both and see which you prefer.

You are automatically Subscribed (to receive notifications) to any topic in which you Reply.

You can also Subscribe to a topic you'd like to follow, but in which you do not reply. How? At bottom-left of a forum topic page, see wrench icon, drop down box, click "Subscribe topic".

In both cases, you'll receive Notifications/Emails, based on your control panel settings, when a new reply is posted. (Pro tip. The system does not send out a new-reply-received notification when you edit/update your reply.

Example. You request a forum review, receive requests for more information, and go back and add it to your OP (original post, original poster).

In this case, it's a good idea to post a New Reply saying you've update your OP with new information. In this way, the folks following you will know to go get your new information; which may change some of their previous answers, or cause them to think of new ideas to help you.

"Unsubscribe topic" (bottom-left of forum page, wrench icon, drop down box) when you are no longer interested in following it.

Welcome.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:00 pm It needs to be a direct link to the image file itself,
Any direct link?
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Nice.
Last edited by LadyGeek on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TX_Aggie

Post by TX_Aggie »

dratkinson wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:00 am Notice. The implied recipient of my reply is TX-Aggie.

But you can also comment on the replies of others... just make it clear which words are yours.

You may see this technique used when you request your forum review and someone embeds their answers inline with your quoted text.

Email notifications were nice, when Notifications didn't exist. But I believe the Notifications section to be the simpler option. Why?
--You must clean out your email Inbox after receiving email notifications. A minor hassle.
--The Notifications section is a newer feature and clears itself when you follow a link (open in new tab, for simplicity)---less stuff to manage.

Try both and see which you prefer.

You are automatically Subscribed (to receive notifications) to any topic in which you Reply.

You can also Subscribe to a topic you'd like to follow, but in which you do not reply. How? At bottom-left of a forum topic page, see wrench icon, drop down box, click "Subscribe topic".

In both cases, you'll receive Notifications/Emails, based on your control panel settings, when a new reply is posted. (Pro tip. The system does not send out a new-reply-received notification when you edit/update your reply.

Example. You request a forum review, receive requests for more information, and go back and add it to your OP (original post, original poster).

In this case, it's a good idea to post a New Reply saying you've update your OP with new information. In this way, the folks following you will know to go get your new information; which may change some of their previous answers, or cause them to think of new ideas to help you.

"Unsubscribe topic" (bottom-left of forum page, wrench icon, drop down box) when you are no longer interested in following it.

Welcome.
thanks for the tips!
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

There is no great way to do include asides/footnotes, with the current forum software, where those asides appear when the mouse is hovered over the text, correct?

Another way to do this is with subscripts.
(Like this.)

Here's one other possibility:
Example

That said, the ideal solution would allow the readability of a simpler text, with readily accessible asides with details. In the printed world, that's basically footnotes. I personally like footnotes in books - much better than endnotes. Some websites implement hoverhelp. Burying notes at the bottom of a long post, or in a separate post, breaks up readability. Feh - too bad.
I suppose small print text below the paragraph in question is the best solution, but it's still not great.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

psteinx wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:02 pm Another way to do this is with subscripts.
Use superscript to create footnotes. It's how we do it in the wiki.1

1. Use the "super" button in the post editor menu to create the citation.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:40 pm
psteinx wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:02 pm Another way to do this is with subscripts.
Use superscript to create footnotes. It's how we do it in the wiki.1

1. Use the "super" button in the post editor menu to create the citation.

Forum topics. I like to use inline clarifying information in forum topics, as I believe in keeping things together for continuity. I'll use an asterisk* (or other symbol) to point to inline clarifying information. (* If it's a short explanation---one/two lines---the information can be a parenthetical thought appended to the end of the paragraph. A more lengthy explanation would be clearer if broken out as separate paragraph(s)**.)

** A unique symbol (*, **, ***, #,...) is used to identify the first paragraph of a lengthy explanation***. (*** Notice, the 3x-asterisks used here, is to provide an unambiguous link to a different parenthetical thought from the ones referenced above by the 1x-asterisk and 2x-asterisks in the above paragraph.)

And if the explanation requires multiple paragraphs, then so be it.

Resume forum topic flow. Then resume the original forum topic flow after a "double-space" to indicate a break from the above topic paragraph and its associated inline clarifying paragraph(s). I believe this way keeps everything together for continuity, but breaks out clarifying information so the major topic flow is easily identified.

Freed symbols. As soon as a symbol linked to clarifying information has been satisfied---link to additional information, additional information supplied---then it's okay to reuse a symbol*. (* The use of "*" here is unambiguous because its previous use to link to additional information (above) was satisfied in the first paragraph. Besides, if we don't reuse freed symbols, then we'd we referencing things like "*********..." by the time we finished a reply... and that's just messy.)

I try to keep a clarifying paragraph close to the calling paragraph*. (* Preferably it's the next paragraph. But within 2-3 paragraphs if the intervening topic paragraphs will also reference the same explanatory paragraph(s).)

Since we're trying to bring new members up to speed, and there are lots of little investing topics to understand, sometimes it's helpful to include additional clarifying information inline. But I don't want an inline explanation to become messy or derail the original topic flow, so this is the method I've hit upon to do both: (1) introduce investing topics in a logical order, and (2) provide inline clarifying information (explanation, examples,...) without derailing the original topic flow (hopefully).

1 Wiki topics. I believe the wiki is a different animal so inline references are impractical. Why? Since there are so many different references (external, internal,...), and each may be referenced repeatedly, it makes much more sense to use footnote references in the body of the text, and group all references at the bottom of the wiki topic.

My way of structuring forum replies. I like to use visual breaks to separate a reply into visual chunks*.
--I use 3-lines between major topic headings ("Forum topics", "Wiki topics").
--I use 2-lines between major topic subheadings ("Forum topics", "Resume forum topic flow"), or to end inline clarification paragraph(s).

* It's kinda like eating an elephant. You do it one bite at a time, but it's much easier if the pieces are seen to be separated into easily digestible chunks. :D

(Edit) I may need to revisit a reply more than once, to get everything structured as I like, and to ensure clarity/grammar. Of course, the topic flow has probably moved on from my original reply (and forum s/w doesn't call folks back for an updated reply---Okay by me), but my OCD requires that I make a reply as complete as possible to help a new member; I see it as payback for the forum's help I've received.

Besides, if I do a good enough job in answering a new member's questions, then he may come back later to refresh his memory on some point, so will see the new edits then. So I don't believe my extra effort is wasted as it should eventually get to the intended recipient.
Rrolack

Post by Rrolack »

testing
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

testing123
Carsson3

Post by Carsson3 »

[quote=InvestorNewb post_id=2256146 time=1415820616 user_id=39688]
BB code used to be on in signatures.
Is there a reason it was turned off? I would like to be able to bold some of the text if possible.
[/quote]

Test post material.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Your BBCode is disabled. Check that User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Enable BBCode by default: is set to "Yes".

You can enable BBCode for the post by editing the post and unchecking the "Disable BBCode" box in the Options tab under the post edit area.

If you need assistance, feel free to PM me.
Carsson3

Post by Carsson3 »

[quote=LadyGeek post_id=2369575 time=1423535533 user_id=11675]
You weren't doing anything wrong, I needed to fix it from my end. Your signature is now working.

test response here
Carsson3

Post by Carsson3 »

The material below is from a previous test post. The type in rust color was indented and enclosed in an area with a light brown background. How is this produced? Is there an instruction manual for this site's software that I have failed to notice?

[color=#800000][color=#800000]Re: Please Try Out Test Posts Here
Post by Peculiar_Investor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:41 pm

summerof42 wrote:
Try every which-way to use bullet.

clicked [*] typed word. Also tried typing the word inside the brackets, after the brackets... what's the secret?[/color][/color]
Click Select all on my post and then copy the code and give it a try. Or click Quote on my post and you can see the structure that I used.