What is the criteria for deleting entire threads?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
grogu

What is the criteria for deleting entire threads?

Post by grogu »

Usually the moderators give an explanation why a thread is locked. But sometimes I will see an entire thread get completely deleted with no explanation or record of the original posts. At least some, if not many, of the topics and posts in those threads appeared to me to be legitimate, so if subsequent "really bad" posts came along, why weren't the offending posts simply removed, or even the thread locked? As the title says, just wondering what will trigger a thread to be completely erased from existence, as opposed to other remedies.
tadamsmar

Re: What is the criteria for deleting entire threads?

Post by tadamsmar »

grogu wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:05 pm Usually the moderators give an explanation why a thread is locked. But sometimes I will see an entire thread get completely deleted with no explanation or record of the original posts. At least some, if not many, of the topics and posts in those threads appeared to me to be legitimate, so if subsequent "really bad" posts came along, why weren't the offending posts simply removed, or even the thread locked? As the title says, just wondering what will trigger a thread to be completely erased from existence, as opposed to other remedies.
It could be a case where a new thread is merged into an existing thread. This is pretty common and I think the new thread appears to be deleted (but I am not 100% confident of this).

As far as outright deletion, I would imagine that a thread created with a spam post (advertising attempts) would poof out of existence, since that is against the forum policies. And probably any thread where there was only an original post (OP) that violated the forum policies with no other posts would get deleted, since the OP itself would have to be deleted.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

tadamsmar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:17 pm It could be a case where a new thread is merged into an existing thread. This is pretty common and I think the new thread appears to be deleted (but I am not 100% confident of this).
I wish there was a way to keep the old Original Post, and perhaps even the other posts (?), but lock it and direct everyone to the new, merged thread.

I've had quite a few occasions where I couldn't find my own post... because the entire thread got merged.
So when I looked to see what else was added to the thread I *did* respond to, with *its* header... it wasn't there.
I've learned to look by searching the forum, and looking for my own posts... and Voila! There it is, but there, not here :wink:

However, this software is not custom written for BH, so there are some functions that it just doesn't have.
And the functions that Bogleheads *does* have are... invaluable!
As are the considerable efforts of everyone who keeps this site humming.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

How about not remotely related threes like "Name your top 10 Westerns"? "What movie have you watched"?
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Everything we do is on a case-by-case basis at our discretion. Moving posts and threads around the forum takes time to consider what's needed, then do the work.

Entire threads are removed based on (1) we think the entire thread shouldn't be visible due to the nature of the topic, or, (2) the posts we want to remove will change the context of the discussion and it won't make sense without those posts.

When threads are removed, we only notify the OP. Members who post in a removed thread will get an error message when they try and view the post. From the FAQ:

What does "You are not authorized to read this forum." mean?
It means the post or topic has been moved to (or was created on) one of the site's private administrative forums. Threads or posts are usually moved for review of possible violations of forum policy. Note that not every post on a removed topic is necessarily in violation.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
celia

Post by celia »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:41 pm Everything we do is on a case-by-case basis at our discretion. Moving posts and threads around the forum takes time to consider what's needed, then do the work.
And how can someone who is replying know this is under consideration until after they've spent an hour creating their reply, only to find that the thread is removed or locked (especially, "topic exhausted"). :oops: That's frustrating to me.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

celia wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:25 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:41 pm Everything we do is on a case-by-case basis at our discretion. Moving posts and threads around the forum takes time to consider what's needed, then do the work.
And how can someone who is replying know this is under consideration until after they've spent an hour creating their reply, only to find that the thread is removed or locked (especially, "topic exhausted"). :oops: That's frustrating to me.
+1.

happened to me on more than one occasion. "D'oh!" is all I can say everytime.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
jackbeagle

Post by jackbeagle »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:27 pm
tadamsmar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:17 pm It could be a case where a new thread is merged into an existing thread. This is pretty common and I think the new thread appears to be deleted (but I am not 100% confident of this).
I wish there was a way to keep the old Original Post, and perhaps even the other posts (?), but lock it and direct everyone to the new, merged thread.

I've had quite a few occasions where I couldn't find my own post... because the entire thread got merged.
So when I looked to see what else was added to the thread I *did* respond to, with *its* header... it wasn't there.
I've learned to look by searching the forum, and looking for my own posts... and Voila! There it is, but there, not here :wink:

However, this software is not custom written for BH, so there are some functions that it just doesn't have.
And the functions that Bogleheads *does* have are... invaluable!
As are the considerable efforts of everyone who keeps this site humming.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!

RM
Some of these platforms (vBulletin, etc.) are ancient and don't maintain the archival integrity or even a clear indication of what has happened to a thread that just vanished. I think, by now, we should acquiesce to one of two things. Either 1.) don't touch them, or 2.) moderators have had enough time to realize the limitations of the platform, let's offer some transparency or notation as to what was done instead of threads just performing the vanishing act.

There shouldn't be a 3rd option in which it's just "shake the etch-a-sketch and don't tell anybody". You either need to document CLEARLY, or you'll get questions wanting to know what happened. It won't get swept under the rug. Threads with dozens of participants and even more replies won't just quietly move on, they were waiting for answers!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The discussion is now questioning the rationale behind moderator actions. Further discussion will not be productive.

If anyone has a question on a thread disappearing, please PM a moderator for an explanation. See: Member Rights in a Dispute

(Thread locked to end the discussion.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.