Dark mode?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Gaston

Dark mode?

Post by Gaston »

I know this requires some work with CSS and style sheets, but any chance of adding a dark mode option to this forum that the user can control, perhaps in user profile settings?
“My opinions are just that - opinions.”
Elric

Re: Dark mode?

Post by Elric »

I asked about this maybe a year ago. Try installing DarkReader (https://darkreader.org/). Bogleheads (and most other sites) look really good with it turned on. And you can easily toggle it on or off or set it to be off on certain sites where it might not work well. I've become a huge fan, and it works really well on most sites (better than many other plugins).
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Elric wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:51 pm I asked about this maybe a year ago. Try installing DarkReader (https://darkreader.org/). Bogleheads (and most other sites) look really good with it turned on. And you can easily toggle it on or off or set it to be off on certain sites where it might not work well. I've become a huge fan, and it works really well on most sites (better than many other plugins).
Any alternatives for mobile?
davibi02

Post by davibi02 »

Elric wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:51 pm I asked about this maybe a year ago. Try installing DarkReader (https://darkreader.org/). Bogleheads (and most other sites) look really good with it turned on. And you can easily toggle it on or off or set it to be off on certain sites where it might not work well. I've become a huge fan, and it works really well on most sites (better than many other plugins).
Thanks for this. I was using the flag in chromium but it has serious issues with a lot of sites. DarkReady works great, can be toggled site-by-site, and it appears their attitude toward data/privacy/open source is in line with my personal beliefs.
quadog

Post by quadog »

If you’re on an iOS device you can setup smart invert through accessibility settings to a smart shortcut and get the site into dark mode. At least that’s my hack and it works ok.
Young Boglehead

Post by Young Boglehead »

I use Firefox on mobile which has a dark mode. When iOS 15 comes out you can use extensions which safari which will also allow you to use dark mode.

Reading bogleheads on my phone at night before dark mode was terrible!
telemark

Post by telemark »

The Brave browser for Android has a dark mode that works with with most sites. On bogleheads, the thread titles show up in violet, which takes a little getting used to.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

Second the recommendation for dark reader. I’ve used it for years and it’s great.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

telemark wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:37 am The Brave browser for Android has a dark mode that works with with most sites. On bogleheads, the thread titles show up in violet, which takes a little getting used to.
Brave for iOS also has dark mode. It’s a good dark mode too, not the lazy bad looking invert everything style.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Let your browser take care of dark mode. From my post: Subject: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:59 pm ^^^ Thanks for the help! The Dark Reader extension displays the post editor's Font color palette correctly (Post a reply --> "Ink drop" icon in the editing toolbar). A few extensions I've tried don't display the palette correctly. I also see a dark mode for the forum software, but it's crude and messes up the logo and post editor's Font color palette.

For Firefox: Dark Reader - Firefox

For Chrome: Dark Reader - Chrome Web Store
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rockstar

Re: Wiki - Prioritizing investments (proposed updates)

Post by rockstar »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I merged rockstar's post into the ongoing discussion.

The link in human readable format: Use Dark Mode on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

I never heard of Dark Mode but lately the brightness of white backgrounds is really hurting my eyes at night on a pc. I checked settings on Win 10 and there is a "Night Light" setting, you can adjust it to be more or less dark. I like it, I don't want to download anything I don't have to.
Ricchan

Post by Ricchan »

You can use a browser extension to customize the CSS to your own tastes. It does require some knowledge of CSS to roll your own theme, or you could just copy/paste the dark theme I shared a while back.
DiceGames

Post by DiceGames »

I use safari like many others. Please develop either an app or safari with dark mode.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, but for a lot of reasons we'll be sticking with the "stock" software.
herbert_21

Post by herbert_21 »

I want Dark Mode too.
StartedFromTheBottom

Dark Mode?

Post by StartedFromTheBottom »

[Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

Is there a Dark Mode for this website? My retinas are burning and its 2022.
FatFIRE Discord Server Moderator
StartedFromTheBottom

Post by StartedFromTheBottom »

Gaston wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:47 pm I know this requires some work with CSS and style sheets, but any chance of adding a dark mode option to this forum that the user can control, perhaps in user profile settings?
Yes this is very much needed
FatFIRE Discord Server Moderator
Parkinglotracer

Re: Dark Mode?

Post by Parkinglotracer »

StartedFromTheBottom wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:58 am Is there a Dark Mode for this website? My retinas are burning and its 2022.
There is a brightness selection on my iPad.
Elric

Post by Elric »

As several have recommended above, try Dark Reader (https://darkreader.org/). I've been using it for about 2 years. There's a version for Safari on iPhones, although I don't have an iPhone, so I've never tried that out. It works well with about 90% of websites (including Bogleheads). And it is easily clicked on or off for those few sites where it doesn't work well due to the color schemes those websites have chosen.

Reposting the info for those in the recently merged thread(s).
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)