I think we should should have a sub-forum called real estate investing

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

I think we should should have a sub-forum called real estate investing

Post by Tenesmus83 »

I think it's distinct enough of a topic to merit it's own sub-forum.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: I think we should should have a sub-forum called real estate investing

Post by Sandtrap »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:59 am I think it's distinct enough of a topic to merit it's own sub-forum.
There is already a forum dedicated to R/E investing: "Bigger Pockets".
BiggerPockets.com
https://www.biggerpockets.com/

The Bogleheads.org is "Investing Advice Inspired By Jack Bogle".
Does that include R/E investing as an adjunct to or in lieu of a market based portfolio?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

A quick peak at the indexes of few of John C. Bogle's books--which aren't well indexed--suggests that real estate didn't form a key part of any of his own investing advice. Of course that doesn't make real estate investing off-topic for the forum, but it suggests to me that it shouldn't be a special focus, either.

It appears at first glance that real estate

--isn't mentioned at all in Common Sense on Mutual Funds

--is mentioned only in the context of "the real estate bubble" in Bogle: The First Fifty Years

--isn't mentioned in Don't Count On It

--is mentioned in Stay the Course only in a brief mention saying that Vanguard introduced the REIT index fund in whatever year, and that it's now the biggest fund of its kind.

In Clash of the Cultures which I have in ebook form and can do an actual text search in, he mentions "the collapse of the real estate market" to complain about the ineffectiveness of actions Congress has taken subsequently; he mentions in passing the creation of the Vanguard REIT index fund as one of many Vanguard innovations; and gripes about the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation deciding to allow itself to invest into alternative investments, "including real estate and private equity."
Last edited by nisiprius on Sun May 30, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:59 am I think it's distinct enough of a topic to merit it's own sub-forum.
OK, go start one and monetize it! That would be Capitalism at its finest! Maybe there is such a Forum already though?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

I agree, assuming the moderators could manage and maintain decorum like the other portions of the forum. It’s an area of weakness in my investment strategy.

Will have to check out Biggerpockets in the mean time.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Did Jack Bogle specifically say that a 2004 Camry is the only vehicle anybody should consider owning? This forum is far from Bogle specific. I think a real estate subforum would help organize the RE threads. It's about organizing the information more than preaching a course of direction.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, we won't be adding a new sub-forum.

In addition to the extra moderator workload (a resource in short supply), it is very difficult to decide where to put discussions which contain a mix of real estate and other investments - which is normally the case here. The distinction between a real estate sub-forum vs. a different sub-forum will quickly become blurred.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.