Forum (Board) subscriptions with weekly list of new posts via e-mail?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
smihaila

Forum (Board) subscriptions with weekly list of new posts via e-mail?

Post by smihaila »

Hi,

I'm a big fan of a forum ("Boards") subscription model which can send e-mail notifications of new message being posted to such subscribed forums. But due to the fact that the Boggleheads.org forums are super active, receiving a new email each time a single new message gets posted, which is the current model, becomes unfeasible.

I've seen other financial forums (i.e. redflagdeals.com in Canada, www.early-retirement.org in US, and others) who have a "send weekly e-mails with a synopsis / summary of new posts" feature. And which I find very effective.

So the question would be: could such model implemented on BH as well?
Having to visit the website and look at the top-right "Notifications" icon, is cumbersome to use. Because it mirrors a "reading the newspaper" or the NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol) model, which I simply abhor.

Thank you.
runner3081

Re: Forum (Board) subscriptions with weekly list of new posts via e-mail?

Post by runner3081 »

I subscribe to the forum using INOreader. Simple and easy to see all posts and click only the ones you want to read.
Topic Author
smihaila

Post by smihaila »

Oh, via RSS? I think I've heard about the inoreader once, in an RSS context.
I'm not too much into RSS, but maybe I should.

But other than such "mitigation", couldn't we have a "weekly e-mail notification" feature built-in into the BH forums?

Thanks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

From the current home page:
1990 new posts and replies over 262 topics in last day (sorted by Latest Reply).
A weekly notification feature would be very difficult to sort out. Also, we won't be adding any e-mail notification features.

I recommend using an RSS feed reader. Here's the details: The Forum is now "Feed friendly"
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
smihaila

Post by smihaila »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:06 am From the current home page:
1990 new posts and replies over 262 topics in last day (sorted by Latest Reply).
A weekly notification feature would be very difficult to sort out. Also, we won't be adding any e-mail notification features.

I recommend using an RSS feed reader. Here's the details: The Forum is now "Feed friendly"
It was only new posts that I was referring to, and mapped only to a particular message board / forum of interest.
The weekly digest e-mail notification feature works pretty well with other forums on the Internet.
Also, if you wish to push for RSS and remove any form of e-mail based notification, the question then would be: Are you really the voice of customer?
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

The board software doesn't provide a weekly digest feature, so it would require customization to implement.

The site owners have consistently maintained the position regarding customization of features that:
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:54 pm We try to keep the forum software as "stock" as possible. The site owner determines which modifications are incorporated.
This allows for easier maintenance and is cost effective. The admins (and moderators) are all volunteers who 'donate' their time and effort to maintain this site.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams