Was Bogleheads down for anyone else on 3/3/2021

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
denovo

Was Bogleheads down for anyone else on 3/3/2021

Post by denovo »

Got a weird error message
Errno 2: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "hb0.winux.com" (23.254.167.168) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? at [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/postgres.php line 98 []
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
bkslaintesj

Re: Was Bogleheads down for anyone else on 3/3/2021

Post by bkslaintesj »

Yes, I saw the same message
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

denovo wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:46 am Got a weird error message
Errno 2: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "hb0.winux.com" (23.254.167.168) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? at [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/postgres.php line 98 []
Yes, I got that error at 9:59pm PT last night. Took a screenshot in case the admins wanted details.

Basically means that the app tier couldn’t reach the database.

What’s weird is that the forum software displays the actual message instead of some “user friendly” error that doesn’t give away so much information.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Yup, got that consistently for a while, and then gave up for a longer while.
Never saw those error messages before.

First thing this morning, it was fine.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 am
Yes, I got that error at 9:59pm PT last night. Took a screenshot in case the admins wanted details.

What’s weird is that the forum software displays the actual message instead of some “user friendly” error that doesn’t give away so much information.
It might be a little more information but most similar software I've seen produces somewhat similar messages under similar circumstances. Unfortunately I've had a lot of experience with a variety of web server software under similar circumstances so I can say that pretty definitively. I'm sure some web developers put considerable effort into displaying more user-friendly messages - as well into avoiding the need for those messages entirely. But my experience was mostly with the common open-source web server applications, with essentially no modifications.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Actually, because of the detail in the message (accurate or not), rather than simply inability to connect, I thought the site might have been hacked (and wondered about those backups...).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

The last post of last night was 9:57pm CT.

The first post of this morning was 5:52am CT.

So the site was down for just short of 8 hours. In the middle of the night for many users.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 am

Actually, because of the detail in the message (accurate or not), rather than simply inability to connect, I thought the site might have been hacked (and wondered about those backups...).

RM
Probably 98% of the times I've seen a message like that it just means something has gone wrong. Of the many times I experienced a site being compromised, only a few produced similar messages. Unfortunately usually the compromises worked well enough to at least avoid messages like this.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Yeah something happened on the DB host running postgresql. I suppose someone took a look and fixed it.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

Same thing for me. I took it as a sign that I should go back to bed. :wink:
"Old value investors never die, they just get their fix from rebalancing." -- vineviz
TurnAround

Post by TurnAround »

It went down for me last night too, I saw an earlier error message about not being able to write out something then started seeing the above error. My guess would be the drive filled up and the board software couldn’t work anymore.

Glad to see it up and running today.