Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
mingstar
Founder

site off line 2021-02-10

Post by mingstar »

Hi folks,

growing pains...

The new infrastructure supports a backup technique called 'snapshots' that make a fast, point in time, copy of a filesystem. They're cool.

While in development, I made dozens of snapshots under a variety of circumstances with no problems.

This morning, I requested a snapshot of the file and database server and <POOF> the system wedged.

It took a while for Tier 4 to get the host shutdown cleanly so that we didn't lose any data.

Now I'm told not to take snapshots while the system is running. OH. I guess I gotta rethink my backup strategy.

Sorry for the interruption.

Mea culpa.

Larry
ModifiedDuration

Re: site off line 2021-02-10

Post by ModifiedDuration »

Thanks for letting us know.

The system normally runs great and these sort of things will happen.

Thank you for all your efforts for us!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

From one sysadmin to another, I've often heard that you aren't a real sysadmin until you've broken production. :)

Thanks for your work!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

It was only traumatic while it was offline. By the time you could tell us about it, we were all busy catching up :D
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

Thanks for all the time that the site is up! :happy
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

I was wondering; thought it might be a D-o-S attack that brought it down....or some other crazy attack on your ISP
glad it's back up
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Minor inconvenience. Thanks for all that you do and thanks for an honest explanation of the problem.
as9

Post by as9 »

The site went down right as the market took a dive yesterday. I thought the end of the world had arrived.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Thanks, mingstar and all the others behind the scenes here!
You make a real difference in the lives of some/many of us here.

I had to chuckle when I found the BH site down, shortly after transitioning and being told "it will all work just fine". :D
Those words can be like the kiss of death sometimes, tempting the fates...

At least there are websites to check to find out what is happening, variations of "is it down or is it just me", etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

I am no longer able to access the site on my laptop, but my iPad works fine. :confused
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Tim_in_GA wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:15 pm I am no longer able to access the site on my laptop, but my iPad works fine. :confused
For what it's worth, the site is working as expected today from a Windows desktop, Windows laptop, and Android phone.

Not sure what "no longer to access the site" means. Is there any kind of error message? Please share what you see in the browser; best of all would be if you post a screenshot of the browser window when you can't access the site.

Try another browser (like Firefox or Edge instead of Chrome or Safari) and see if that helps.

Presumably other websites are working fine from your laptop?
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Tim_in_GA wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:15 pm I am no longer able to access the site on my laptop, but my iPad works fine. :confused
Are you getting an error message of some type? If so, please post the details.

Perhaps try Ctrl+F5 (What is a Hard Refresh? How to do a Hard Refresh in Any Browser. -)
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Don't if your setting is like ours. In our case, neither laptop (chromebook) nor tablet (android) could connect to bogleheads. After we rebooted the router all is well.

BTW, we tried clearing history, cache, everything, none worked.
Last edited by Faith20879 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

sycamore wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:45 pm
For what it's worth, the site is working as expected today from a Windows desktop, Windows laptop, and Android phone.

Not sure what "no longer to access the site" means. Is there any kind of error message? Please share what you see in the browser; best of all would be if you post a screenshot of the browser window when you can't access the site.

Try another browser (like Firefox or Edge instead of Chrome or Safari) and see if that helps.

Presumably other websites are working fine from your laptop?
I'm on a Mac, using Safari.

But when the "is it down for just for me", etc., website showed BH was back up, it did *not* work for me for quite some time.
That had me checking back and forth with the "is it down..." in case the BH fix wasn't stable, or such.

There has not been any problem here since about an hour after BH was back up.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

thanks for explaining. was wondering what was happening yesterday. assumed it had something to do with the system migration that took place days ago.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Faith20879 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:59 pm
Don't if your setting is like ours. In our case, neither laptop (chromebook) nor tablet (android) could connect to bogleheads. After we rebooted the router all is well.

BTW, we tried clearing history, cache, everything, none worked.
Some technical details. The IP address changed so the DNS records were updated. It can take some time for the DNS updates to propagate, so perhaps your router was still caching the old DNS record, i.e. old IP address.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Translation: The box that connects your computer's internet to the outside world didn't get the message that we moved to a new home.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:57 pm
Are you getting an error message of some type? If so, please post the details.

Perhaps try Ctrl+F5 (What is a Hard Refresh? How to do a Hard Refresh in Any Browser. -)
It’s impossible it seems to get a screenshot from my PC and post it here on my iPad. But all it says is “This site can’t be reached. The connection was reset.”