48-72 hour waiting period for first post?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
F150HD

48-72 hour waiting period for first post?

Post by F150HD »

Update: this is already resolved. Thanks.
-
Has it ever been considered to have a 48-72 hour waiting period from when an account is created and when a first post can be created?

This came to mind (again) when I ran across this post.

This poster was a member for 4 minutes before putting this particular post up.

That wait time would force a new user to learn a few forum rules, see what the forum is actually about etc before throwing up a post like this (clearly few here use Advisors, basis of BH is self-management)

Waiting periods are common on other forums I visit, mainly to prevent SPAM posts but also to force a new user to look around a little before launching a bunch of questions that have been answered previously or posting something that has nothing to do w/ the forum itself.

This would also create fewer threads to moderate (probably not a ton, but some anyway).

Thanks. :beer
Last edited by F150HD on Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: 48-72 hour waiting period for first post?

Post by Sandtrap »

F150HD wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:36 am Has it ever been considered to have a 48-72 hour waiting period from when an account is created and when a first post can be created?

That wait time would force a new user to learn a few forum rules, see what the forum is actually about etc before throwing up a post like this (clearly few here use Advisors, basis of BH is self-management)

Waiting periods are common on other forums I visit, mainly to prevent SPAM posts but also to force a new user to look around a little before launching a bunch of questions that have been answered previously or posting something that has nothing to do w/ the forum itself.

This would also create fewer threads to moderate (probably not a ton, but some anyway).

Perhaps there are many that read the forum for a long time before registering, for various reasons.
And, at that point, there is a sense of urgency and "need", and "courage?" that has had to happen to seek help.
And, there, the forum provides a valuable service to the community.

Having a "waiting period" might or might not be discouraging to that process.
And, while a "waiting period" may have some benefits, there might also be some downside that is not good.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Godot

Post by Godot »

F150HD wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:36 am Has it ever been considered to have a 48-72 hour waiting period from when an account is created and when a first post can be created?

I hear this, but doubt that it would "force" new users to look around a little.
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

What about all the other anti-boglehead investing schemes etc on here?? Bizarre.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

Carguy85 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:48 am What about all the other anti-boglehead investing schemes etc on here?? Bizarre.
I’m pro bogglehead but isn’t a discussion board for... discussion? Shouldn’t other views and perspectives be welcomed?
goingup

Post by goingup »

A waiting period might dissuade new posters from actually posting. I read the forum for years (and years) before my first post. A discussion on Florida Keys travel finally lured me in. The discussion would have been over in 48-72 hours.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

goingup wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:55 am A waiting period might dissuade new posters from actually posting. I read the forum for years (and years) before my first post. A discussion on Florida Keys travel finally lured me in. The discussion would have been over in 48-72 hours.
Same. Unless the mods feel they are overwhelmed with spam and inappropriate first posts, I think features that discourage participation are not a good idea.

The example cited in the OP may not seem to be a good topic for Bogleheads, but there are plenty of threads that have literally nothing to do with investing (how do I buy a car from the other side of the country) - a new visitor might get the impression this is a car forum. :)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I think there's a waiting period before you can make a post that contains a URL in it?

I don't think a waiting period for the first post would help. I think it would discourage participation by the people we want to have participating and create the sense of clubbiness and exclusion of outsiders.

I'm not serious about this but there are times I've wished that members had to pass a short quiz before making their first post. Something like this:

1) Define "Bogle."
a) Vintner in Clarksville, CA
b) Word game using lettered dice
c) Developer of the first index fund, according to Bogle
d) Supernatural beings in Scots folklore, reputed to live for the simple purpose of perplexing humankind, rather than seriously harming or serving them

2) What slogan is associated with the late John C. Bogle?
a) "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful."
b) "Buy what you know."
c) "Stay the course."
d) "Clearly, sustained low inflation implies less uncertainty about the future, and lower risk premiums imply higher prices of stocks and other earning assets. We can see that in the inverse relationship exhibited by price/earnings ratios and the rate of inflation in the past. But how do we know when irrational exuberance has unduly escalated asset values, which then become subject to unexpected and prolonged contractions as they have in Japan over the past decade?"

3) What investing strategy did John C. Bogle recommend?
a) "Sell when the 50-day simple moving average crosses to the downside of the 200-day simple moving average, and vice versa."
b) "Hold multiple uncorrelated assets representing independent risk factors such as value, momentum, and spectral radiosity."
c) "Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack."
d) "Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
roth evangelist

Post by roth evangelist »

Is spam really that big of an issue that we need a waiting period? Like others have said, new users might have been lurking for years and this would discourage new users from posting topics. Also, plenty of long-time users post things about marketing timing, etc.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:15 am I think there's a waiting period before you can make a post that contains a URL in it?

I don't think a waiting period for the first post would help. I think it would discourage participation by the people we want to have participating and create the sense of clubbiness and exclusion of outsiders.

I'm not serious about this but there are times I've wished that members had to pass a short quiz before making their first post. Something like this:

1) Define "Bogle."
b) Word game using lettered dice
c) Developer of the first index fund
d) Supernatural beings in Scots folklore, reputed to live for the simple purpose of perplexing humankind, rather than seriously harming or serving them

2) What slogan is associated with the late John C. Bogle?
a) "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful."
b) "Buy what you know."
c) "Stay the course."
d) "Clearly, sustained low inflation implies less uncertainty about the future, and lower risk premiums imply higher prices of stocks and other earning assets. We can see that in the inverse relationship exhibited by price/earnings ratios and the rate of inflation in the past. But how do we know when irrational exuberance has unduly escalated asset values, which then become subject to unexpected and prolonged contractions as they have in Japan over the past decade?"

3) What investing strategy did John C. Bogle recommend?
a) "Sell when the 50-day simple moving average crosses to the downside of the 200-day simple moving average, and vice versa."
b) "Hold multiple uncorrelated assets representing independent risk factors such as value, momentum, and spectral radiosity."
c) "Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack."
d) "Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."
I may be cast out for saying this, but Jack Bogle did not develop the first index fund. Wells Fargo did that in 1971. It would be unfortunate if you failed your own test. :P
scophreak

Post by scophreak »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:39 am I may be cast out for saying this, but Jack Bogle did not develop the first index fund. Wells Fargo did that in 1971. It would be unfortunate if you failed your own test. :P
...and I may be incorrect, but I believe WF's creation was an "account" which didn't track an index but rather the entire NYSE (banks were prohibited from running mutual funds). Additionally, I don't believe that this account was available to individual retail investors. That distinction belongs to Bogle's original index fund.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

From the FAQ, see help/faq#f4r11
Why does my post need to be approved?
The board administrator may have decided that posts in the forum you are posting to require review before submission. It is also possible that the administrator has placed you in a group of users whose posts require review before submission. Please contact the board administrator for further details.
Many people lurk (read as a guest) until they are either comfortable to ask a question or provide an answer. Once they are ready, they register and post and await approval (if required per the FAQ).

Any waiting period before registered and being able to post would only discourage people from joining the discussion. Have you ever had to wait for the account validation email when registering somewhere? Ever get frustrated when it take more than a few minutes. Imagine having to wait 48-72 hours. Would you give up? I would.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:11 am
Perhaps there are many that read the forum for a long time before registering, for various reasons.
And, at that point, there is a sense of urgency and "need", and "courage?" that has had to happen to seek help.
And, there, the forum provides a valuable service to the community.
+1

Long-time reader here but new member. I have responded to a number of sound first posts from others.

I don't think I registered until I had a key question.

There are plenty of sketchy posts from longer-term members :D.

I am on another forum unrelated to personal finance (probably the opposite) where the majority of first posts are spam or thinly-veiled self-advertising.
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:39 am
I may be cast out for saying this, but Jack Bogle did not develop the first index fund. Wells Fargo did that in 1971. It would be unfortunate if you failed your own test. :P
But maybe the point is to get the "right" answers, not the correct ones.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

EddyB wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:35 pm
But maybe the point is to get the "right" answers, not the correct ones.
LOL. I'm sure some posters here would appreciate that very much.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As noted here:
Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 pm
The board administrator may have decided that posts in the forum you are posting to require review before submission. It is also possible that the administrator has placed you in a group of users whose posts require review before submission. Please contact the board administrator for further details.
Many people lurk (read as a guest) until they are either comfortable to ask a question or provide an answer. Once they are ready, they register and post and await approval (if required per the FAQ).

Any waiting period before registered and being able to post would only discourage people from joining the discussion. Have you ever had to wait for the account validation email when registering somewhere? Ever get frustrated when it take more than a few minutes. Imagine having to wait 48-72 hours. Would you give up? I would.
There will be no waiting period before the first post can be created.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Perhaps its just me, but I would take posts like the one quoted in OP as an opportunity to teach the new poster about the Boglehead way, instead of rejecting them for asking about an advisor. And perhaps in that conversation, I might learn that the person had a valid need for an advisor. There is no one-size-fits-all model for savings and investing. The fact that someone is interested at all should be nurtured and encouraged. They might ultimately choose a different path, but at least they'll have the data to make an informed decision.

And I also agree about the lurker phenomena. There are some places where I have lurked for well over a decade without actually making an account. Simple moderation, without the need for a multi-day waiting period, handles the occasional spammers that pop out of the woodwork. Everyone else is an opportunity for discourse and education.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Of more benefit would be a limitation that I not post until I’ve had coffee and let it do its work for at least an hour.

I notice a very high inverse correlation between my brain farts and caffeination level. I know, I know, sometimes I will post a whopper midday, but ...
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
the way

Post by the way »

Maybe that OP just came into a billion dollars and is looking for some financial advice, and quick! :mrgreen:
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08 pm Any waiting period before registered and being able to post would only discourage people from joining the discussion. Have you ever had to wait for the account validation email when registering somewhere? Ever get frustrated when it take more than a few minutes. Imagine having to wait 48-72 hours. Would you give up? I would.
I am on multiple other boards (not financial ones) and they all had waiting periods before a first post could be put up. Its mainly for spam, but if its truly somewhere you are interested in reading, 24 hours (or whatever timeframe) isn't a big deal.

I don't see a ton of spam here (yet) but this came to mind today. I think new posters could benefit from being forced to look around a little anyway, I know I would have benefitted if I had back when.
Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

deleted
Last edited by F150HD on Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I suspect that is just part of the generic phpBB FAQ and not implemented/configured by this installation, like some other options.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:15 am...1) Define "Bogle."
...c) Developer of the first index fund
I'm aware of the controversy. But it's like arguing that motion pictures were invented by William Friese-Greene, or that the telephone was invented by Antonio Meucci. Or that Samuel Pierpont Langley should be considered the inventor of the aeroplane because he invented a machine that he crashed, but that was capable of flying, as was proved later by a successful flight

You are referring to a short-lived experiment with an equal-weighted fund created solely for use by the pension fund of the Samsonite company. I actually debated with myself about using the safer and more qualified phrase "the first retail index fund." The problem is... I can't find the actual quotation right now but I'm sure... that John C. Bogle himself explicitly rejected that qualifier. Perhaps I can add the qualifier "according to Bogle."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:38 pm Perhaps its just me, but I would take posts like the one quoted in OP as an opportunity to teach the new poster about the Boglehead way, instead of rejecting them for asking about an advisor. And perhaps in that conversation, I might learn that the person had a valid need for an advisor. There is no one-size-fits-all model for savings and investing.
And I think that is pretty much what happened.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=337364

A good thread, I think.
And I also agree about the lurker phenomena. There are some places where I have lurked for well over a decade without actually making an account. Simple moderation, without the need for a multi-day waiting period, handles the occasional spammers that pop out of the woodwork. Everyone else is an opportunity for discourse and education.
I lurked here for years before something made me create an account. On the other hand I created an account on another forum last week just about 20 minutes after stumbling upon it to ask a very specific question. I did do some searches for existing threads, but ultimately decided to just ask for help... and had my answer a few hours later. If there had been a waiting period, I would have had to create a todo-list task to remind me to come back after 48-72 hrs. Not very user friendly, and for urgent questions defeats the purpose of the forum.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

TravelGeek wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:56 pm
I suspect that is just part of the generic phpBB FAQ and not implemented/configured by this installation, like some other options.
The FAQ is implemented. New member posts are reviewed prior to submission.

To save another question, new member posts are reviewed to ensure they comply with the Forum Policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I wish people would stop telling others to do an exhaustive search before posting a question. This is a personal finance board. This isn't an optimized archive of all financial knowledge, it's a forum to ask questions and hopefully receive good answers. (But see the Wiki for overarching financial knowledge.)

As such, I see no issue with people posting questions relating to their personal situation, whether or not the topic has been covered previously. Everyone's situation is different. If you have nothing to contribute to a topic, then let it go. I've started reading countless posts that turn out to have nothing to do with my situation, but then I move on. Many of the first replies to a post are snarky and offhand, not very useful, no matter how true they may be. I've learned to ignore them.

I do wish people would post with more descriptive titles, to more easily separate the wheat from the chaff. The mods help by sometimes adding information to the titles.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

It just doesn’t seem to be a problem.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:56 pm
I'm aware of the controversy. But it's like arguing that motion pictures were invented by William Friese-Greene, or that the telephone was invented by Antonio Meucci. Or that Samuel Pierpont Langley should be considered the inventor of the aeroplane because he invented a machine that he crashed, but that was capable of flying, as was proved later by a successful flight

You are referring to a short-lived experiment with an equal-weighted fund created solely for use by the pension fund of the Samsonite company. I actually debated with myself about using the safer and more qualified phrase "the first retail index fund." The problem is... I can't find the actual quotation right now but I'm sure... that John C. Bogle himself explicitly rejected that qualifier. Perhaps I can add the qualifier "according to Bogle."
I wouldn't call it a controversy. Jack Bogle just wasn't first. There is no shame in that. Bogle still made important contributions in his life. Steve Jobs didn't develop the first GUI or the first mouse, but he didn't need to do that to be an important figure.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:55 am

I wouldn't call it a controversy. Jack Bogle just wasn't first. There is no shame in that. Bogle still made important contributions in his life. Steve Jobs didn't develop the first GUI or the first mouse, but he didn't need to do that to be an important figure.
I believe the correct answer is
1) Define "Bogle."
https://boglewinery.com/#
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

heartwood wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:02 pm
whodidntante wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:55 am

I believe the correct answer is
1) Define "Bogle."
https://boglewinery.com/#
I think for many Financial Advisors that the correct answer must be d:

d) Supernatural being that lives for the purpose of perplexing humankind

I can’t think of a more perplexing force (unless they happen to be one of the rare breeds of fiduciary duty Financial Advisors)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I lurked here for a few years before deciding to start posting.
A fool and his money are good for business.
neveragain

Post by neveragain »

I am an older poster, but my last two posts did not show up.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

neveragain wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:41 pm I am an older poster, but my last two posts did not show up.
They might have gotten moved to a more appropriate subforum. Check under "Your posts" in the forum interface to try to find them. To access that, click on the following link when you are logged in: search.php?search_id=egosearch

If they are not there, check for a message from the moderators under Private messages on the top right of the screen when you're in the forum interface.

Also, you might have had just really bad luck with your Internet glitching out right when you were trying to submit those posts. It happens from time to time. Murphy's Law seems to dictate it happens more with longer posts, although that's probably more of a memory bias as we get more annoyed when the void swallows our longer posts.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I don’t think a waiting period to post will deter spammers.

A few years ago, there were insurance salesmen posting under various user names on the forum. And I received unsolicited and unwelcome PMs from them when I posted to some kind of insurance threads.

The solutions? Contact a forum moderator.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

People post negatively about Gatekeeping on other forums. I'd just let the moderators deal with it in their own ways.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.