Just search the forum...

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
investingdad

Just search the forum...

Post by investingdad »

I see this response often here, 'just search the forum'.

But that response is overlooking what, I think, is one of the primary reasons people use this forum... interaction with others.

Also, if I'm asking a question, I'd like to know what people are thinking right now, not what they may have been thinking a year ago, or longer.

Am I wrong about this? Isn't one of the big reasons people ask questions on a forum is the interaction with others, as opposed to a static answer provided by Google?
runner3081

Re: Just search the forum...

Post by runner3081 »

Yes, in before lock. Much of the information is somewhat timeless. People should always search before posting.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

google may not give the kinds of in depth answers that are given on this forum.

you're assuming answers from a year ago are no longer valid or are stale.

I don't think that's generally or often true but this may depend upon the question asked.

often the same type of question (market timing as one example) is asked repeatedly.

the answer to those types of questions don't change and I see no reason why people should have to say the same thing again and again, especially when a simple search will yield the answers you seek, whether you act on them or not.

when I have a general question to ask I assume it's been asked before and seek out answers to learn as much as I can.

when I still have knowledge gaps after doing my research or those other questions are slightly different than what I'm asking I will post explaining how my question is different from what I've already read.

If you're asking whether to buy Tesla today, that may (or not) be different from someone who asked whether to buy Tesla a year ago.

So the type of question is what matters. And when people say "just search the forum" I assume it's because they already answered that question before (perhaps even numerous times. I know I have) and don't really want to have to answer it again.

Often I will post a google search to the poster's question that shows them if they had just searched google they would see their question's been asked too many times to count.

perhaps people don't want to do the research to read through numerous past posts.

sometimes people just want quick answers or be told what to do rather than researching, reading, learning on their own.

i understand people are busy and may not want to spend ("waste"?) time researching when someone can just answer their question even though it's been answered several times before.

and yes, dialogue can be important especially to help people think about things they haven't before or think of them in different ways. There was a question a few days ago that the poster had assumed was the correct way of thinking of things, but then others chimed in and gave valid points that were counter to the OP's way of thinking. I found that refreshing and it's why I come here. We all have biases and it is helpful to check (or be checked) those biases from others provided we are able and willing to look at things a different way.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
BogleZogle___Mogul

Post by BogleZogle___Mogul »

investingdad wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:54 pm I see this response often here, 'just search the forum'.

But that response is overlooking what, I think, is one of the primary reasons people use this forum... interaction with others.

Also, if I'm asking a question, I'd like to know what people are thinking right now, not what they may have been thinking a year ago, or longer.

Am I wrong about this? Isn't one of the big reasons people ask questions on a forum is the interaction with others, as opposed to a static answer provided by Google?
My observation is that it depends on the quality of the question.

If someone asks “so how much international should I have????”, with little other info, you’re going to get a collective groan.

If you post a lot of details about your specific situation, and ask a more specific question about your international allocation in context of the rest of your portfolio, you’ll likely get very different answers.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Post here, to get the most current information on a topic, and to get interaction with others.

AND search the Forum, as it will probably give greater depth and color on commonly-discussed topics.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has been moved to the Forum Issues and Administration forum (forum help).

In the top-right corner of the page, there are actually 2 searches.

1. The search box with the magnifying glass icon. This goes to google as "(search term) site: bogleheads.org".

2. The "gear" icon to the right of the google search box. This is the forum's built-in search engine. Use this engine to get focused forum search results - member posts, titles, selected forums.

Tip: Enter 0 for the "Return first:" characters to see the entire post - which will include quoted posts.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A few off-topic posts have been removed. See: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

There are lots of wonderful discussions on the forum and I think all of us are better served by engaging with those discussions rather than trying to recreate them every 6-12 months.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

If poster is asking a FAQ at least include a couple links to past postings so all know you have done some homework.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It might be improved etiquette if a question was prefaced by ....
"I searched the forum along with IRS.gov, and found ..., but I still have some questions ...."

That is, show some effort to indicate one's interest and how important the responses might be to one.

Besides, becoming adept at using internet search tools is an important skill for our times when one has to do their own fact-checking.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I agree that it can be rather rude to dismiss someones post and simply instruct the OP to search the forum.

Maybe I have not been around as long as most and have not yet tired of the repetitive posts.

The only two posts that I have grown tired of are the sky is falling posts when the market drops, and of course the market is overvalued posts when we reach new highs.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

The mobile site is missing the Google search, which is a handy shortcut, though I can of course type “site:bogleheads.org” myself.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

otinkyad wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:26 pm The mobile site is missing the Google search, which is a handy shortcut, though I can of course type “site:bogleheads.org” myself.
and you can get the most recent posts by limiting the time.

site:boglehead.org after:2019 iphone

Gets me all posts made this year that have "iPhone"
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

If "Just search the forum" is the entire reply, then that's inadequate. I've never seen such a reply, but then I've hardly seen everything on the forum. But if the reply is to suggest you search for something pertinent and specific to your post, such as a book or blog, then not only is that correct, it also amounts to interaction. It may not be the interaction you're looking for, but it is interaction.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

There are occasional times when it is a 2 or 3 word phrase (noun with necessary adjective, etc.)...
... but both/all words are very common, and the number of results is overwhelming.
That can happen with even a single word, if it's common enough, so there are sooooo many posts that pop up.

It's also not always that easy to think just which word should be searched, and this could especially be the case when someone is not really familiar with the topic.

And then, much of the time, a search here on BH is easy and helpful. :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

There really doesn’t need to be another thread for “should I pay off my mortgage?”

Ever.

It’s been asked, answered, debated, and beaten to death. Please, for the love of all that is holy, enough.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Making decisions with your own money can rattle new investors. A member might want confidence they are doing the right thing. Or, they may still be unsure and want a second opinion. In any case, we should answer their questions.
fmhealth

Post by fmhealth »

Hi. How do you start a new topic? I can't seem to find where to login or start a new thread on any page. Thanks so much.

Be Well,
fmhealth
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

fmhealth wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:44 pm Hi. How do you start a new topic? I can't seem to find where to login or start a new thread on any page. Thanks so much.

Be Well,
fmhealth
Yep, it is hidden if one uses www.bogleheads.org to read the forum. But at the top click on "Board Index" and take a look at what happens. Does that help?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Hi. How do you start a new topic? I can't seem to find where to login or start a new thread on any page. Thanks so much.

Be Well,
fmhealth
I am sure there are simpler ways but I start at index.php and select a topic to post. Login required to post though.
fmhealth

Post by fmhealth »

Thanks for the rapid-replies. I just signed in through Google & that worked.

Be Well,
fmhealth
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To clarify, you found the forum via a Google search and then logged in with a username / password.