The front page is ugly

Discussions about the forum and contents
tarmangani

Re: The front page is ugly

Post by tarmangani »

targ wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 am
Tamalak wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 am ... All the OP is asking for is for the front page to be consistent with the professionalism of the sub-form pages. ...
Then might I suggest the OP load this as his bookmarked link:
www.bogleheads.org/forum/search.php?sea ... ive_topics
+1

The "subforums" are simply part of phpBB. If that's what you want to see then use that.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Youngblood wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 am Yep it works great, but how about adding some color options to the current design?
There are browser plugins you can get to change colors, especially for high-contrast reading... for example, 'Care your Eyes' or 'Stylebot' plugins for Chrome in the Chrome-store.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

All of the Bogle pages provide quick actionable content whether on iPhone or tablet or laptop or computer. And, whether on WiFi or cell service.
The higher page contents of MMM and Bigger Pockets do not. And, are also more tedious to wade through to find substantive content.

Bogle Forum. . . more cake. . . less frosting.

Huge mahalo's to webmasters and moderators for keeping the site just fine the way it is.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Let's do a quick comparison. The Bogleheads' home page, on my desktop computer with a medium-sized 1600x900 screen, with all default settings, loads instantly and displays 22 thread titles without scrolling. They are in a size and typeface that I find legible. And I have old eyes.

By the time the page loads, the rest of the 120-odd thread titles are all preloaded and fully rendered, and I can scroll down through the rest with no pauses for internet traffic, and no pauses while the browser tries to move around the CSS rectangles and create a screen layout.

I don't know what would be considered a "modern, professional" design, but Google News currently shows me a grand total of four headlines without scrolling, and a grand total of thirty by scrolling. If I load any more, there is a fairly big fraction of a second pause while it accesses the Internet (despite 75 mbps download speed over fiber), and the browser tries to figure out where all the page layout rectangular areas ought to go.

Vanguard's oh-so-spiffy new "adaptive" account balances page displays four of my seven accounts without scrolling.

In short, the Bogleheads' home page contains five to ten times the information of "modern" web pages, and yet is perfectly legible.

(And of course an ordinary printed page, in nice legible type, would display about three times the content of any of them.)

I do worry about how information-thin web pages are becoming. Try to compare the amount of information on a Google Maps screen page with any printed map, for example.

Are the eyes of millennials no longer capable of aiming accurately on the consecutive lines of a printed page? Do they now need to be spaced out an inch apart for them to target them?
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

Tamalak wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 am ... All the OP is asking for is for the front page to be consistent with the professionalism of the sub-form pages. ...
Thank you! Much easier to read than the home page.
targ

Post by targ »

blueman457 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am
Thank you! Much easier to read than the home page.
:D You're quite welcome.

And this is not a dig at you, but I completely disagree with that being easier to read. I just find it fascinating that what seems so good to me is so bad to you and what seems so good to you is so bad to me.

It kinda reminds me of a programming course once where we had to do a lo-hi game example. To me (and maybe half the class) lo-hi was displayed in an over-under layout (there was no instruction on how to do it, this was just intuitive at the time based on the way the problem was posed). But the other half of the class displayed it with the high number either above the low number or to the right of the low number. Each way was completely baffling to the other side. One person even wanted to start an argument over which way was right.

I ended up asking this other person why his method was chosen and why it was intuitive to him. For him, instead of following the way the problem was posed, he saw results as lying on a number line. So his over/under style was perfectly understandable even though half the class did it completely opposite.

Similarly, I don't know when it happened, but as a kid I can remember the weather reporting the day's highs and lows in in over/under format. But somewhen along the way, it all changed and now most weather reports i see are in under/over format. I know the reason for the change, and like the classroom example, it makes perfect sense in context, but I still find myself having to stop and think when reading what, to me, is a backwards format.

Bottom line, to each his own! I'm glad we can both be happy!
Last edited by targ on Mon May 14, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
mrc

Post by mrc »

I hear Edward Jones has a pretty snazzy landing page. :wink:

Not all serif fonts are easy to read than any sans font, and none are easier for me as I cope with astigmatism.

The bookmark to the topics page is spot on.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
MinhN

Post by MinhN »

I have to disagree. The front page is the best part. It leads you straight to the action. No extra clicks are needed to read the most current threads. I don't need a splash page, blog, or news section.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

targ wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:48 am...And this is not a dig at you, but I completely disagree with that being easier to read. I just find it fascinating that what seems so good to me is so bad to you and what seems so good to you is so bad to me...
This is one of the toughest things for people to accept. But it's true.

I remember when laser printers came in, specifically the Apple LaserWriter with exactly four typefaces: Times Roman, Helvetica, Courier, and Symbol (Greek letters and "dingbats.") I was at that time involved in providing computer services for scientists at a research institution, and we had shared printers: dot matrix for speed, and Qume daisywheel printers for "letter quality." Scientists were fairly concerned about that because they had to submit manuscripts and grant applications.

When we got our first LaserWriter in for evaluation, we were concerned, because the proportionally-spaced Times Roman and Helvetica looked almost unbelievably beautiful (the standard of comparison was an IBM Executive Typewriter if that means anything to anyone, a fabulously expensive typewriter with relatively crude proportional spacing). However, Courier, the monospaced typewriter-like typeface, really did not look at all like typewriter output.

So we took around samples for scientists to look at, of all three typefaces, and asked them if this printer was suitable for professional work.

And just about half of them said "Why are you even bothering to ask? This is obviously more than good enough, it's great."

And the other half said "Why are you even bothering to ask? This can't possibly do, it's completely unprofessional, it isn't letter-quality at all."

The point is not that they had different opinions, the point is that nobody thought there could possibly be a difference of opinion.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
targ

Post by targ »

nisiprius wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:06 am ...The point is not that they had different opinions, the point is that nobody thought there could possibly be a difference of opinion. ...
And I'd like to think recognizing this about our own opinions is a sign of wisdom.
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
wander

Post by wander »

This came from a user who joined in February 2018. Many users have been here few dozen years without a single complain about the front page. It is effective.
JPH

Post by JPH »

blueman457 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 am
JPH wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 am
blueman457 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:02 am It is "ugly" but it is functional, loads pretty fast. I'm not a web designer but I would guess that there are ways to refresh the layout while keeping it predominately text.

The one change I would make is changing the home page font to a sans serif font for easier reading.

https://www.fonts.com/content/learning/ ... t-in-print
I think you have that backwards. From the link you provided: "Serif typefaces have historically been credited with increasing both the readability and reading speed of long passages of text because they help the eye travel across a line, especially if lines are long or have relatively open word spacing (as with some justified type)."

Also, why can't you set your reader to use the typeface you prefer?
I should have attached this link: https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2013/0 ... al-battle/

which states (and other sites as well) that sans serif is generally better for digital formats.

And I'm not sure what you mean by changing my reader to use the typeface... I use chrome browser.

Blue Man
Under Chrome settings there is an option to "Customize Fonts." I don't know if that will fix this issue.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
carofe

Post by carofe »

I see that the front page is pretty much a copy of the craigslist design.

I suggest some modification:
* Something to visually aid the user in distinguishing better between posts items, e.g. a fine gray line between posts items + more spacing between them.
* Tiny bit larger font size to fill out more white spaces.
* Have a more off white color in the background, it is easier on your eyes.
* Darker font.
I think all that would ease the reading and finding of interesting postings.

I always found the bogleheads front page hard to browse with your eyes. I prefer much better the "New Posts" page of the actual forum. That's what I usually use as my bookmark. I doubt that there is going to be any change as result of this thread, though. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and some feelings hurt :D
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

MrJones wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 am
Youngblood wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 am Yep it works great, but how about adding some color options to the current design?
Why?
Having a choice of both font and background color is just a nice option to have. People have different preferences. Don't they? Some may find certain combinations either more comfortable or enjoyable to read.

I probably should have simply said, why not.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

JoMoney wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am
There are browser plugins you can get to change colors, especially for high-contrast reading... for example, 'Care your Eyes' or 'Stylebot' plugins for Chrome in the Chrome-store.
Thanks for reminding me.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

mrc wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:54 am I hear Edward Jones has a pretty snazzy landing page. :wink:
I know that was in jest, but it's true. And if a random fella spent a few minutes surfing the net to try to find financial advice, most FA sites would come across as far more professional than BH.com.

The point of a better, more professional, entry page is not to make it easier for those of us posting in this thread, so that we have milliseconds less of search time on our phone screens or whatever. We're already bogleheads. It'd be to give a better first impression to try to help lure those who haven't found the light yet.
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 pm
mrc wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:54 am I hear Edward Jones has a pretty snazzy landing page. :wink:
I know that was in jest, but it's true. And if a random fella spent a few minutes surfing the net to try to find financial advice, most FA sites would come across as far more professional than BH.com.

The point of a better, more professional, entry page is not to make it easier for those of us posting in this thread, so that we have milliseconds less of search time on our phone screens or whatever. We're already bogleheads. It'd be to give a better first impression to try to help lure those who haven't found the light yet.
+1

The response to the webpage is a biased selection... all will be bogleheads point of view. In reality, we should ask people who find bogleheads.org too confusing to initially use. That being said, changes would have to palatable to the core users as well (easy to load, easy to read, mobile friendly.)

Blue Man

Post by 2015 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:20 am ...

Bogle Forum. . . more cake. . . less frosting.

Huge mahalo's to webmasters and moderators for keeping the site just fine the way it is.
j :D
Priceless.
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

TinyElvis wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 am I wish more internet sites were plain text like the Bogleheads landing page.

The Drudge Report is one of the most visited sites on the interwebs and it is also plain text: easy to read and quick to load.
Perhaps the Drudge Report is one of the most visited sites, but in my opinion it is not easy at all to read. On those very few times I deign to visit it, it seems as if it is shouting at me.

The Bogleheads "Post Listings" is plain-text and genteel.
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

freebeer wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:27 am "from the early 1990s" is not actionable criticism. The home page loads fast and adapts well to mobile devices which is invaluable and which a lot of web pages from 2015 don't do. Yes it's bare bones looking but so is craiglist which is in the top 20 of all websites in the US (and has a revenue stream and company behind it whereas this site is a labor of love). I for one am happy with this site's home page as-is but if there are proposals for improvements I would hope that they could be specific as to what should change and be somewhat motivated by information design and usability improvements not just optics. And ideally not send the site backwards in terms of speed and especially mobile device usability.
+1
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I agree with both sides here. A little bootstrap/css work would be nice to make it a little more modern without weighing it down. I'd volunteer to help!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

In my arrogant opinion, the lack of a search feature that actually works is about ten times as serious as any visual issues with the home page. (Yes, I am aware that there are two search facilities: the default Google-based search--which sucks--and the internal forum software search, accessed through the gear icon, which sucks even worse).
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

targ wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:15 am
nisiprius wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:06 am ...The point is not that they had different opinions, the point is that nobody thought there could possibly be a difference of opinion. ...
And I'd like to think recognizing this about our own opinions is a sign of wisdom.
Some choices are not mere opinions but physiologically and psychologically influenced preferences. Physiology dictates requirements for the contrast and print size to make text readable. Browsers allow to increase text size, but that retards scrolling.

Psychologically, excessive colors and images are distracting from the essence. Blinking and flashing things are not mere nuisance, they are productivity killers.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Ged

Post by Ged »

It has a certain rustic charm. Better is the enemy of good enough.

Don't fix it if it's not broken.

It loads very fast.

It's compatible with a wide range of simple browsers.

The price is right.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL:

When it loads Ghostery tells me there are 0 trackers.

:sharebeer
mouses

Post by mouses »

nisiprius wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 am
I find it ironic that just as the smallest cell phone screens have gotten to have more real estate than early desktops (Mac, 512x384; PC, 640x480; my current cell phone, which is not even a "phablet," 800x480),
Certainly not compared to the Alto, circa 1973, whose screen was about the size of a piece of typing paper. I have yet to see a cell phone screen that looks like this. Plus regardless of the resolution, if the physical size is as small as a cell phone, many older people will not be able to read it.

Dandelion, circa 1981:

David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:02 am Yes, we should cover the front page in ads, pop ups, and autoplaying videos so it looks just like a real 2018 professional webpage!
Yea, that would be the ticket... :twisted:
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I use the forum index page (index.php) as my entry to bogleheads.org.

IMHO the problem with the official entry page (https://www.bogleheads.org/) is that the posts are all jumbled together with no organization. Don't tell me that it is organized by time of last post. I know that. It's like saying that freeway traffic is organized by the time cars go by. That's an "organization" that is effectively a randomizer.

I think it would be better if the "post listings" section were replaced with the forum index (first link above). That is the top-level breakdown of the site's primary content and should be one of the first things one sees.

BUT, I guess it all boils down to one's usage. The current entry page my be good for those who intend to read everything new regardless of subject matter.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

mouses wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:06 pm
nisiprius wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 amI find it ironic that just as the smallest cell phone screens have gotten to have more real estate than early desktops (Mac, 512x384; PC, 640x480; my current cell phone, which is not even a "phablet," 800x480),
Certainly not compared to the Alto, circa 1973, whose screen was about the size of a piece of typing paper. I have yet to see a cell phone screen that looks like this...
Samsung Galaxy Luna, 480x800 = 384,000 pixels.
Alto, 606×808 = 489,648 pixels. Yes, 28% more than my cell phone. But the same ballpark.
My wife's Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky, cost $100 from TracFone, 720x1280 = 921,600, 88% more than the Alto.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

First things first. The site received its last overhaul on Aug 18, 2017. See: Home Page Updated

The most important focus of this site is to help new investors. When a newbie asks for help, it's critical that the post be visible. How many readers scroll past the forum first page? Not many. Those requests for help will get lost.

For that reason, the site owners want the home page to be able to see as many posts as possible. The long thread display is the result.

Also, designing for every possible device and browser is an impossible task without having a ton of resources for support. We don't have that available.

Instead, the home page is designed to be "lean" and work "good enough" for the majority of devices and browsers. Keep it simple (like our investing approach).

Thanks to those who've offered to help. At this time, I don't think any help is needed - but will keep it in mind.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mariezzz

Post by mariezzz »

I like the front page as it is. I know I can access the forum via other pages, but I always use bogleheads.org. All the recent threads in one long column - makes it quick to skim through them & read the ones that interest me.
mariezzz

Post by mariezzz »

carofe wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:48 am I see that the front page is pretty much a copy of the craigslist design.

I suggest some modification:
* Something to visually aid the user in distinguishing better between posts items, e.g. a fine gray line between posts items + more spacing between them.
* Tiny bit larger font size to fill out more white spaces.
* Have a more off white color in the background, it is easier on your eyes.
* Darker font.
I think all that would ease the reading and finding of interesting postings.
The background is white when I open the page (in firefox). The font is blue because they are recognized as links. Users may be able to modify their browser settings to adjust the font color of links.
<ctrl><shift><+> increases the font size in my browser - the browser settings can also be adjusted.

Would post a screenshot, but don't seem to have that option.
Last edited by mariezzz on Mon May 14, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

Plain text is beautiful
https://lite.cnn.io/en
Retired: VBIAX 100%
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

JoMoney wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:49 am I like the front page, especially how quickly it loads / lack of pictures (other than the one small logo).
THIS^^ If it weren't for the front page... I would come her less often. It is simple. Easy to navigate, loads quickly and is very efficient in terms of getting content I want to read.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

kagantx wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:50 am Most of this forum looks professional and well maintained. But the front page has some kind of text-based forum preview from the early 90s.
This should really be changed.

I know the current front page may be useful to some users, but shouldn't it be placed elsewhere? This website should put its best foot forward.
So, on a forum that preaches financial optimization you're advocating form over function. Not going to happen!
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

To those advocating a redesign: it's easy enough to redesign something that you think is an improvement.

What do you think are the chances that you could redesign the site in such a way that almost everyone would agree is an improvement?

Also, to the people who are advocating a redesign: I still haven't seen any response to the obvious point that anyone can choose to bookmark the "Board Index" page instead of the home page. The Board Index page is the standard phpBB design. This is not one of those annoying sites that, through intention or oversight, does not work properly when entered through a deep link.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

862 notifications, Nisi? The phone is ringing!!! :happy
HRPennypacker

Post by HRPennypacker »

One of the best front pages on the Internet. I love it.
yarnandthread

Post by yarnandthread »

Please do not change the front page or the site. It is outstanding! Simple and easy. Content matters way more than looks. And it wouldn't matter if someone offered to donate a million dollars to change it....don't.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I think it's terrific as is.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

mouses wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:56 am i dislike the front page because it is pretty useless to me. I mostly have to scroll way down to get to the board links. ...
After the home page loads, hit the <End> key to be taken immediately to the bottom of the home page---no scrolling required. Easy peasy.

Option. I like the BH homepage as it works quickly with my old dial-up PC. And the last update made it sync with the forum's unread posts which increased its usefulness. So it's a quick, useful, 1-page listing that can index 3 days of forum activity (if you need that much). Less is more.

Option. Agree with nisi, can use forum's index page: index.php

Option. Agree with prior poster who suggested forum's "new post" page: search.php?search_id=newposts

Option. ...or unread posts, unanswered topics, or active topics,... all available from the Quick links feature.

We can bookmark any page we like as our preferred homepage. So no need to spoil the lean BH homepage.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Don't forget the other features:

- When logged in, clicking on the thread title goes to your last unread post
- The left-side entry under Bogleheads® Forum changes from "Login" to "View your posts"
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
FIBoston

Post by FIBoston »

Spirit Rider wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 am
FIBoston wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:44 am as a forum dedicated to pushing Vanguard as a preferred brokerage I find the outdated user interface to be perfectly on brand!
You couldn't be more wrong. Bogleheads does no such thing.

Sure a substantial percentage of Bogleheads have accounts at Vanguard, but their are many, many who have additional accounts or their only accounts at Etrade, Fidelity, Schwab, TD Ameritrade.

Bogleheads is a philosophy and a community based on living below your means and investing in low cost index funds. Become a more active participant and you will see that.
this was a tongue in cheek post aimed to just have a little fun within a thread I found to be quite funny. I know this forum doesn't just push Vanguard on people.

Also, having a relatively low number of posts isn't representative of not actively participating or knowing very much about the forum. This forum is my web browser's home page and I make sure I read through it just about every day (usually at the beginning of the day and the end of the day during my commute).

Sorry my comment made you feel the need to get so defensive. I appreciate that tone doesn't always come through online.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

I like the front page as it is.

If you don't like the front page, bookmark the Wiki and start your navigation there. Or, like bertalic use the forum index page and start there.

I think there are good options without any redesign.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FIBoston wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm Also, having a relatively low number of posts isn't representative of not actively participating or knowing very much about the forum. This forum is my web browser's home page and I make sure I read through it just about every day (usually at the beginning of the day and the end of the day during my commute).
I'll use this opportunity to remind readers that the home page has an RSS feed. See: The Forum is now "Feed friendly" (Nov 13, 2016)

Look for the Image at the bottom of the page.

You can get to the bottom of the page by clicking on "View subforum list" at the top of the post listings. ("Back to top" is at the end of the post listings.)
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

FIBoston wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm
Spirit Rider wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 am
FIBoston wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:44 am as a forum dedicated to pushing Vanguard as a preferred brokerage I find the outdated user interface to be perfectly on brand!
You couldn't be more wrong. Bogleheads does no such thing.

Sure a substantial percentage of Bogleheads have accounts at Vanguard, but their are many, many who have additional accounts or their only accounts at Etrade, Fidelity, Schwab, TD Ameritrade.

Bogleheads is a philosophy and a community based on living below your means and investing in low cost index funds. Become a more active participant and you will see that.
this was a tongue in cheek post aimed to just have a little fun within a thread I found to be quite funny. I know this forum doesn't just push Vanguard on people.

Also, having a relatively low number of posts isn't representative of not actively participating or knowing very much about the forum. This forum is my web browser's home page and I make sure I read through it just about every day (usually at the beginning of the day and the end of the day during my commute).

Sorry my comment made you feel the need to get so defensive. I appreciate that tone doesn't always come through online.
Well then you probably bit your tongue, because I wasn't being defensive at all. I'm actually one of those with the vast majority of my assets elsewhere.
KeepItSimple78

Post by KeepItSimple78 »

I like it as it is. The simplicity of it aligns perfectly with the investing philosophy espoused here.

Though admittedly, I'm biased on this issue as my username indicates.
Avid reader of personal finance/investing literature; however, no formal training in this area. My comments are always well-intended, and most often well-informed.
SGM

Post by SGM »

This site is refreshingly simple to read unlike most other sites that require constant scrolling and are slow to load. I don't need flashiness to distract from content.
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

mouses wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:06 pm Dandelion, circa 1981:
Thank you for this blast from the past! I used these for one of my classes in school. Aw I recall, my initial reaction was “What is this mouse thing? How do I work this?” That was quickly replaced, however, by “This is pretty cool!”
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

bertilak wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:25 pm BUT, I guess it all boils down to one's usage. The current entry page my be good for those who intend to read everything new regardless of subject matter.
I by no means intend to read everything, but I’m potentially interested in everything. The current entry page makes it easy to scan all the threads without having to dive in and out of topic areas.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Less is more...
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.