How do you get this Bogleheads page to go all the way across the screen

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
rec7

How do you get this Bogleheads page to go all the way across the screen

Post by rec7 »

Right now it only goes a little more than half way. https://www.bogleheads.org/ I am using a 21.5 inch screen. I just got a new screen.
Last edited by rec7 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
jebmke

Re: How do you get this Bogleheads page to go all the way across the screen

Post by jebmke »

Ctrl+
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Right now I am set at 110% zoom how about you?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I think I am at 170%. I just hit Ctrl+ and/or Ctrl- until I get the page the way I like it.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

Are you asking about changing the font size or changing the location of the line breaks? Ctrl + / Ctrl - change the font size but do not change the line breaks. I do not know of a way to keep the same size font and make each line longer so that you take advantage of a wider screen and have much more information on a single page.
whaleknives

Post by whaleknives »

Browser zoom or <ctrl +> until you're happy. I'm at 125% on a 14" laptop, and the Chrome browser returns to that setting from the 100% default when I return to Bogleheads.org!
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I'm old. I need that 72 point font. Ctrl+ for me.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

whaleknives wrote:Browser zoom or <ctrl +> until you're happy. I'm at 125% on a 14" laptop, and the Chrome browser returns to that setting from the 100% default when I return to Bogleheads.org!
125 makes me a happy camper to on a 21 inch.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum (browser).

Click on the upper-right square in the window's title to set the browser's size to full screen.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

When I got a new widescreen monitor, I had to play around with Ctrl +, - for a while to find where I like it. It's at 133% zoom with resolution on 1360x768.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Most people seem to be focusing on text size, but I interpreted the request as the width of the text boxes across the screen. phpBB prosilver fixes the maximum width to 1152px to 1220px (depending on device type) in the stylesheet. If you have a high resolution monitor, you get big bars of light grey on either side of the text box. I'm running a "2k" monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution, so the grey bars are rather noticeable to me. But even someone with a "1080p" monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 is going to have over 350px of grey on either side of the text box. And 1920 x 1080 is pretty common these days, even in smaller monitors. Very rarely do you see 720p monitors anymore.

In short, the width is fixed to a size that's not really reflective of modern screen resolutions. But that's a phpBB issue, so not much the forum administrators can do about it. A power user could install a stylesheet manipulation tool like GreaseMonkey to modify the appropriate max-width settings, but I personally don't bother with that because I want to preview my posts as other users will see it (to make sure there's not exceedingly wide content for example).
Topic Author
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Thanks everybody