Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
JBTX

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by JBTX »

I just realized this is an old thread. Did something just change in the last day or so? All of a sudden everything is smaller and when I flip to landscape the board format changes, bringing user information to the side. Could I have done something to change formatting?
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

That's weird. I shut all my browser tabs down, cleared history and now back to normal. User error I suppose.
Elric

Post by Elric »

Feature Request: I believe there's a phpBB extension for "dark mode." I'm finding bright white screens increasingly hard on the eyes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Would it be possible to provide the ability for the user to switch between the current color theme and dark mode?
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
LorieBH

Post by LorieBH »

Elric wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 pm Feature Request: I believe there's a phpBB extension for "dark mode." I'm finding bright white screens increasingly hard on the eyes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Would it be possible to provide the ability for the user to switch between the current color theme and dark mode?
Wow! That's exactly what I was looking for when I came across your post!

Seconded! Is there any way to enable a "dark mode", please? The board is very bright white and it is very hard on my eyes.

Thank you for anything that can be done to make this an option.

Lorie
:)

*update* - I did find a work around. I installed the Dark Reader add-on to Firefox and that lets me flag the Bogleheads site to be displayed in dark mode. : )
Elric

Post by Elric »

LorieBH wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:44 pm *update* - I did find a work around. I installed the Dark Reader add-on to Firefox and that lets me flag the Bogleheads site to be displayed in dark mode. : )
:beer Good idea! I saw your note and I've just done the same for Chrome.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Thanks for the help! The Dark Reader extension displays the post editor's Font color palette correctly (Post a reply --> "Ink drop" icon in the editing toolbar). A few extensions I've tried don't display the palette correctly. I also see a dark mode for the forum software, but it's crude and messes up the logo and post editor's Font color palette.

For Firefox: Dark Reader - Firefox

For Chrome: Dark Reader - Chrome Web Store
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
DSBH

Post by DSBH »

Feature question/request - I was reading the "Retiree Portfolio Model" thread and tried to find the discussion on IRA tax impact on heirs.

When I tried to "search this topic" for the word "heir" I got 4 matches, and 24 matches with the word "heirs". Would it be possible to search for something like "heir%" or "%heir% and get 28 results back (similar to Oracle SQL) ? By the way I tried "%heir%" and got 4 matches back, looks like the software ignores special character.

Thank you for your help.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I tried your search with "*heir*" and got 26 matches as "Searched query: heir*" - it chopped the leading "*". I agree the search is simplistic, but I don't see any way to improve it.

The phpBB User Guide only has "*". Nor do I see any additional search features in the phpBB Customisation database.

Sorry, that's the best I can do, as we don't modify the source code. We only use code that's been vetted by the phpBB developer community.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
DSBH

Post by DSBH »

The asterisk (*) works great, thank you for the tip.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Feature request (for mobile): If previously quoted posts are over 100000 characters long included in a reply, truncate after 100 characters and put more link to expand.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

DSBH wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:51 am Feature question/request - I was reading the "Retiree Portfolio Model" thread and tried to find the discussion on IRA tax impact on heirs.

When I tried to "search this topic" for the word "heir" I got 4 matches, and 24 matches with the word "heirs". Would it be possible to search for something like "heir%" or "%heir% and get 28 results back (similar to Oracle SQL) ? By the way I tried "%heir%" and got 4 matches back, looks like the software ignores special character.

Thank you for your help.
Google seems to do a better job of searching the forum and wiki.
--Forum: http://www.google.com/search?q=heir+sit ... .org/forum
--Wiki: http://www.google.com/search?q=heir+sit ... s.org/wiki

Does this find what you want?
--Forum: http://www.google.com/search?q="Retiree ... .org/forum

In repeatedly testing above, Google did complain, so you're on your own to make Google happy.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
celia

Post by celia »

HoosierJim wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 pm Feature request (for mobile): If previously quoted posts are over 100000 characters long included in a reply, truncate after 100 characters and put more link to expand.
I hope you mean to display at least 500 or 1,000 characters since 100 may be too short to ‘remind’ you if it is something you want to ‘expand’ or not. Even the text I just quoted is over 100 characters.

And if you have 5 nested quotes or so, the inner 4 might be hidden within the more, and possibly fool with search engines. This can be problematic if a moderator is looking for problem posts that were reported where others have already quoted the problem (now hidden) post.
DSBH

Post by DSBH »

dratkinson wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:50 am ...
Does this find what you want?
--Forum: http://www.google.com/search?q="Retiree ... .org/forum
In repeatedly testing above, Google did complain, so you're on your own to make Google happy.
I was trying to search in the same topic hence the question. Your suggestion is great however. Thanks !
John C. Bogle: "Never confuse genius with luck and a bull market".
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

celia wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:38 am I hope you mean to display at least 500 or 1,000 characters since 100 may be too short to ‘remind’ you if it is something you want to ‘expand’ or not. Even the text I just quoted is over 100 characters.

And if you have 5 nested quotes or so, the inner 4 might be hidden within the more, and possibly fool with search engines. This can be problematic if a moderator is looking for problem posts that were reported where others have already quoted the problem (now hidden) post.
Yes should have said more characters - this feature request is in frustration with the people that quote entire posting and subsequent replys with quotes while I am trying to read on my small phone. What you show the user and the web crawler doesn't have to be the same thing.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

HoosierJim wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 pm Feature request (for mobile): If previously quoted posts are over 100000 characters long included in a reply, truncate after 100 characters and put more link to expand.
That is a feature request that will have to go to the phpBB developers, not the forum administrators. The forum administrators have been very clear in the past that they will only run stock phpBB code, and not make any custom additions.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Mudpuppy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:15 am
JBTX wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:09 am I haven't gone through all ten pages. I looked for a place to bring up issues when all of a sudden the font size dropped. I use an iPhone and safari. The font is now ridiculously small. Often I flip the phone landscape to get a bigger view but now the forum layout changes with titles off to the side.

Perhaps this user needs educating, but I am almost entirely on mobile and at first glance this is awful.
Have you tried zooming in? I have this forum set at 120% magnification to bring the fonts up to a readable size for me.
I have it at 125%. I just tried setting it back to 100% and find that way too small. This is on a regular PC, not a mobile.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.3.1. This is a "feature" update. Sharp-eyed readers might notice a few differences in appearance, but it's for the most part unchanged.

The majority of the changes are "under the hood".

We have also updated the underlying server software.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:03 pm The forum software has been updated to phpBB 3.3.1. This is a "feature" update. Sharp-eyed readers might notice a few differences in appearance, but it's for the most part unchanged.
Yep, already noticed the slight change to the header. I always start at "Your Posts" to answer any active threads I'm participating in, then navigate out to the forum as a whole to look for new threads. The link to navigate out to the forum has changed slightly.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The links in the lower menu (above the thread title) are arranged in a hierarchy called "breadcrumbs". Click on the level you want to navigate in the forum.

The "Board index" is at the top level. "Your posts" is actually a search result using the built-in forum search engine. The hierarchy (breadcrumbs) is therefore displayed as:

Board index (top level) < Search (search the Board index, i.e. the forum) < Your posts (search results)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:09 pm The links in the lower menu (above the thread title) are arranged in a hierarchy called "breadcrumbs". Click on the level you want to navigate in the forum.

The "Board index" is at the top level. "Your posts" is actually a search result using the built-in forum search engine. The hierarchy (breadcrumbs) is therefore displayed as:

Board index (top level) < Search (search the Board index, i.e. the forum) < Your posts (search results)
I have no clue what any of this means, LadyGeek, but it's ok because I'm so very grateful that you and all the admins and moderators and leaders know what you're doing :D and that you all so selflessly work to make the forum better for everyone 8-)
rob

Post by rob »

I don't believe this is my browser issue.... If you select a post off the bogleheads.org page it will keep track of where you are in the thread (last post/read). If you do an "egosearch" that same repositioning does NOT happen. Any way to make both reposition - I find it useful to follow-up by hitting my own posts but I have to manually figure where I am in the thread.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

rob wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:37 pm I don't believe this is my browser issue.... If you select a post off the bogleheads.org page it will keep track of where you are in the thread (last post/read). If you do an "egosearch" that same repositioning does NOT happen. Any way to make both reposition - I find it useful to follow-up by hitting my own posts but I have to manually figure where I am in the thread.
It depends on where you click, If you click on the "New Posts" icon on the left of the thread, the server will take you to the first unread post. If you click on the thread title, the server will take you to the first post.
Wiki David Grabiner
bayview

Post by bayview »

Really, really minor, but I *think* this happened after the upgrade:

When I click on the red tab to go to the first unread post, it goes directly to the text itself, not showing the poster name, date, etc.

This is happening on iPhone/iPad (Safari) as well as on my desktop (Firefox for Mac.)

As said, no biggie, but I find myself sliding up to see who the poster is.

--Edit to add: the exception is if there are only a few very short texts, and I might see the bottom of the latest already-read text.

--Edit again: well, heck, now it's not doing it any more. I give up.

— And now it’s doing it again, at least on the phone. :shock: :oops: I guess I’m doing some variant of fat-fingering, or my device(s) are possessed.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
mega317

Post by mega317 »

bayview wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:44 am Really, really minor, but I *think* this happened after the upgrade:

When I click on the red tab to go to the first unread post, it goes directly to the text itself, not showing the poster name, date, etc.
Same. Chrome ios.
bayview

Post by bayview »

mega317 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 pm
bayview wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:44 am Really, really minor, but I *think* this happened after the upgrade:

Same. Chrome ios.
Good to know that I’m not insane (or that at least, it’s a folie a deux.)

It’s been going back and forth all day, now that I’m watching for it.

No big deal again, but trying to figure it out is making me nuts. :confused
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

I posted this as a new thread a few moments ago, indicating something different with the display of the forum tonight.

At first I thought it was just that I was wearing my glasses instead of my contacts; things always look weird to me then. But the Financial Wisdom Forum (Canada) with the same forum software looks "same".

I see now what's strange is that the text of each post starts below the identification in the right-side column indicating the post author and their identification. So the text portion of each post has like three-quarters of an inch of white space (blue space) over it. I am thinking it was not an intended change?

Edit to add: This is on Chrome browser on Windows 10 Pro. I just checked Chrome on my iPad and it shows properly.

Edit to add: Edge browser also displays properly under Win 10. Chrome browser continues to show improperly even after logging out/back in.

Edit to add: Okay, this is very strange. It is not a Bogleheads.org issue. It is related to my Google account that my Chrome browser is logged into (and this was why Edge worked). Even when not logged into Bogleheads I am still logged into my Google account and the forum display is affected. I have another Google account set up for business purposes and when I use that account then the Bogleheads forum displays "properly", whether or not I am logged into the forum. So this is a strange issue with Google accounts, not the Bogleheads forum. Odd thing is that only affects Chrome browser on my Windows 10 system, not the Chrome browser on my iPad. And the Chrome browser on my Android phone shows the "mini" display of Bogleheads correctly as well. Mea Culpa and my apologies for disturbing the peace.
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

JohnFiscal wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:54 pm I posted this as a new thread a few moments ago, indicating something different with the display of the forum tonight.

At first I thought it was just that I was wearing my glasses instead of my contacts; things always look weird to me then. But the Financial Wisdom Forum (Canada) with the same forum software looks "same".

I see now what's strange is that the text of each post starts below the identification in the right-side column indicating the post author and their identification. So the text portion of each post has like three-quarters of an inch of white space (blue space) over it. I am thinking it was not an intended change?

Edit to add: This is on Chrome browser on Windows 10 Pro. I just checked Chrome on my iPad and it shows properly.

Edit to add: Edge browser also displays properly under Win 10. Chrome browser continues to show improperly even after logging out/back in.

Edit to add: Okay, this is very strange. It is not a Bogleheads.org issue. It is related to my Google account that my Chrome browser is logged into (and this was why Edge worked). Even when not logged into Bogleheads I am still logged into my Google account and the forum display is affected. I have another Google account set up for business purposes and when I use that account then the Bogleheads forum displays "properly", whether or not I am logged into the forum. So this is a strange issue with Google accounts, not the Bogleheads forum. Odd thing is that only affects Chrome browser on my Windows 10 system, not the Chrome browser on my iPad. And the Chrome browser on my Android phone shows the "mini" display of Bogleheads correctly as well. Mea Culpa and my apologies for disturbing the peace.
Reading through your post carefully, I honestly think this is worth a try >>> try uninstalling Edge in Windows 10 and see whether or not Chrome still behaves normally. Unfortunately I sense that the browser war is heating up and Microsoft is again getting a little to "aggressive" in this competition and I would not put it past them (based on what I have observed recently with their OS updates) to leverage the Windows 10 operating system to unseat Chrome or create havoc in it. Good luck and please report back if you do end up trying this.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

JohnFiscal wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:54 pm I posted this as a new thread a few moments ago, indicating something different with the display of the forum tonight.
I don't see your new thread. If you have further problems with your display, start a thread in the Consumer Issues forum and we can work through it.

The Consumer Issues forum can be used for general computer help questions.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

Thank you, LadyGeek. I actually deleted that new thread as it seemed more appropriate (at the time) to post in this existing thread.
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:42 am
I don't see your new thread. If you have further problems with your display, start a thread in the Consumer Issues forum and we can work through it.

The Consumer Issues forum can be used for general computer help questions.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Recently I have had 2 cases when I edit a post of mine and the software creates a duplicate post.
If I delete the duplicate and edit again, 2nd time the edit functions as expected.

Using Safari v14 on MacOS if that helps.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Can you reproduce the problem? I'd like the exact steps you took to create the duplicate post.

Use Please Try Out Test Posts Here if you want to experiment with your posts.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB version 3.3.2. It's a security and maintenance release. There are no changes visible to the readers.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I missed one visible change. The User Control Panel contains settings which allow you to be notified of certain events by email or by the Notifications menu at the top of the page.

In the User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Edit notification options (generic link, goes to your account)

There are new entries which allow you to be notified when:
  • Someone replies to a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
  • Your report on a private message is closed by a moderator
  • Your report on a post is closed by a moderator
Details on reporting posts and Private Messages are here: REPORTING VIOLATIONS AND UNWELCOME PMs (a 'sticky' thread in this forum)
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:04 pm In the User Control Panel --> Board preferences --> Edit notification options (generic link, goes to your account)
I would have a guess that most members haven't looked at what controls you have in your User Control Panel.* It can be found in the drop-down menu under your username in the top right corner.

If you've never looked, or haven't looked recently then maybe take a couple of minutes and browse around, you can personalize your Bogleheads forum experience with many of the settings, particularly the many options in Board preferences*

---
* generic link, goes to your account (if you are logged in).
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

In this post: viewtopic.php?p=5611214#p5611214

I was trying to put URL brackets around the web address to make post cleaner.

Problem. With URL brackets around www.ontvtonight.com , the forum software translates url into www.ontvtonight.com

Code: Select all

Intended:
[url]www.ontvtonight.com[/url]

becomes:
[url]https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/www.ontvtonight.com[/url]
The displayed url in the post is the same for both, but the effect is different. The status bar also shows the difference.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You need to include the https:// protocol as part of the link.

[url]https://www.ontvtonight.com[/url]
displays as https://www.ontvtonight.com.

As documented in Creating Links (the BBCode link in the right side of the post editing area), you can include a description:

[url=https://www.ontvtonight.com/]On TV Tonight[/url]
displays as On TV Tonight.

If you want to experiment, please post in Please Try Out Test Posts Here.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Thanks. No need to play, as I'd already done that while previewing my edited post.

So the Magic Links feature took care of me when I didn't use the url tags; but if I use the tags, then the reference must be syntactically correct.

Got it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Bogleheads logo has been updated across the entire site. It's the same logo, but made much more clear.

Changes were made to the home page, forum, wiki, and blog.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It can get cumbersome when scrolling through posts which contain very long quotes, especially for mobile users.

The forum software has been modified to provide scroll bars for long quotes.

If someone quotes a long post, that quote will now appear inside a box that has a scoll bar.

See: excessively long quotes
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:52 am It can get cumbersome when scrolling through posts which contain very long quotes, especially for mobile users.

The forum software has been modified to provide scroll bars for long quotes.

If someone quotes a long post, that quote will now appear inside a box that has a scoll bar.

See: excessively long quotes
Happy New Year, LadyGeek!

Thank you for keeping the Forum on track,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Happy New Year, VictoriaF!

Apparently, I was on the wrong track. The modification has been removed. See: excessively long quotes
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:36 am Happy New Year, VictoriaF!

Apparently, I was on the wrong track. The modification has been removed. See: excessively long quotes
Responding to the Forum feedback means being on track.

Cheers!
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
redstar

Post by redstar »

Would there be any way to set a user-adjustable font size on the mobile site? I find it hard to read without zooming in and panning back and forth.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

If you click on a thread title you go to the first post in the thread. If you click on the red "page with dogear" icon to the left, you go to the first unread post (however it decides that). However if you hover your mouse over either, they both say, "Unread post".
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Did the theme just change on the forum? I refreshed the page and suddenly the mast-head and headers are a dark grey/black background instead of their previous dark blue.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, it did. See: Re: Tributes to Jack Bogle
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I don't know how long this has been a "bug", but I noticed today that my ego-search / "Your posts" page will not carry forward a linkage if a thread is merged.

As a specific example, I had made a reply in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=336967

Not long after, it got merged into another conversation: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=336912

The merge happened at this post: viewtopic.php?p=5747418#p5747418
JimmyD wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:49 pm [Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Looking to use them for a new build scheduled to close in 60 days. 30 year fixed rate at 2.5% with only $3500 in fees seems too good to be true...and you know the old adage...

So, would you trust them or pay more to work with a local or larger lender?
BrandonBogle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:54 pm I’ve not actually closed with Sebonic before, but have applied and talked to them before. There were no red flags in my interactions with them. But again, I didn’t go past applying as I got a strong offer (for a refi) elsewhere.
However, the merged thread doesn't show up in my ego-search/"Your posts" page. I imagine that the back-end uses the older topic ID to track things, and since I never commented on the older thread, the reference to include a link to the conversation I was in was lost. It had me scratching my head for a minute.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'd call it a "feature". The many ways you can slice-and-dice posts to create "topics" (threads) is a challenging design. I figured the experts got it the best they could, and a few things - like merges - would slip through the cracks.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Would be great to have an ignore/hide thread button, so you could have a thread stop showing in your list/homepage whenever it gets a new reply.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 pm Would be great to have an ignore/hide thread button, so you could have a thread stop showing in your list/homepage whenever it gets a new reply.
Can select "Unsubscribe topic" in the tools list adjacent to either "Post Reply" button. Then you stop getting notifications of a new reply.