Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Discussions about the forum and contents
azurekep

Re: Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests

Post by azurekep »

Random Poster wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:56 am
azurekep wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 pm Is there a way for users to change the notification icon from red to something else?

Likewise with the red page icons that show up next to some threads?

The blue theme of Bogleheads is relaxing and conducive to good thought.

The red is alarming.
Agreed.

I find the whole update makes the forum somewhat unreadable.

Not sure how to explain it, but posts appear to be "busier" than they used to, and the red icons are visually jarring.

I used to enjoy reading posts, but now all they seem to do is give me a headache.

ETA: Plus, there is this whole "date and time" stamp at the far right side of a quoted post, just hanging out there....it looks ridiculous to me and breaks up the visual continuity of a quote. It makes me feel like I'm dyslexic, and I'm not. And the size of the open quote mark in a quoted post is much larger than the rest of the post, and where is the closing quote mark? Maybe it has always been there and I've never noticed it until now, but regardless, I'm not a fan of it.
I got your message. It was bright red and clear!

I agree on all your points and it would be great if there was more user control over the display.

But in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty minor. So I'm just going to go with the flow.

As long as phpBB doesn't turn into Microsoft and go rogue (totalitarian bully), I'm okay. ;)
mrc

Post by mrc »

azurekep wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:21 am As long as phpBB doesn't turn into Microsoft and go rogue (totalitarian bully), I'm okay. ;)
If Clippy shows up, I'm out of here! "Hey! It looks like you're a day trading market timer. Wanna read the BH principles in the Wiki instead of finishing your post?"

The loud red icons are different, and annoying at first, but I'm already getting used to them. Thanks to the forum and site admins for all you do.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Random Poster wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:56 am
azurekep wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:31 pm Is there a way for users to change the notification icon from red to something else?
The red is alarming.
Agreed.

Not sure how to explain it, but posts appear to be "busier" than they used to, and the red icons are visually jarring.

I used to enjoy reading posts, but now all they seem to do is give me a headache.

ETA: Plus, there is this whole "date and time" stamp at the far right side of a quoted post, just hanging out there....it looks ridiculous to me and breaks up the visual continuity of a quote. It makes me feel like I'm dyslexic, and I'm not. And the size of the open quote mark in a quoted post is much larger than the rest of the post, and where is the closing quote mark? Maybe it has always been there and I've never noticed it until now, but regardless, I'm not a fan of it.
I agree - and here is how I get rid of that date and time and day and minute clutter :annoyed :

When I am quoting to create a post, in the "post a reply" window, delete everything between the last letter of the quoted person's name to that line's closing bracket. In your case, I would delete everything between the "r" and the "]" on that line. If you look behind the scenes, delete the portion in red --> [quote="Random Poster" post_id=3497647 time=1503060994 user_id=17193]. Although other Bogleheads have noticed we still need to put the quoted person's name in quote marks - ie. "Random Poster" - I found it isn't necessary to put the quotes in.

Then finish your post as if you were posting in the good old days. For multiple quotes within quotes, use the same process. Just remember to keep the end-quote - ie. [/quote] - at the end of each large quoted section.

With editing, the above quotes cluttered with date and time and day and minute now look like this:
Random Poster wrote:
azurekep wrote: Is there a way for users to change the notification icon from red to something else?
The red is alarming.
Agreed.

:D

It would be nice to find a way to turn it off :happy My editing only changes the way we present our quoted posts, not the way we view other's quoted posts.

I have never found it difficult to find the quote material in upper posts, if I ever even wanted to see the entire post and even if there are many pages. Usually the poster has quote material from a previous post because THAT is the only portion of the prior post they wish to address, so the full prior post isn't necessary to understand the material. And there's no reason to clutter the quoting window with the day of the week :annoyed
#Cruncher

Post by #Cruncher »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:09 pm... here is how I get rid of that date and time and day and minute clutter :annoyed : When I am quoting to create a post, in the "post a reply" window, delete everything between the last letter of the quoted person's name to that line's closing bracket.
Please consider not doing this, Miriam. Leaving the "quote" line intact enables a nice change that this new board software instituted. Namely, the little up arrow to the right of "wrote:" is a link to the post from which the quote is taken. I usually modified my posts to include such a link. And here you're suggesting something that will remove such links. If you really find the time stamp so aesthetically repulsive, how about just deleting the portion of the "quote" line beginning with "time="? This will get rid of the date & time, but leave the up-arrow link. Here is how it looks if I do this to your post which I'm quoting from:
Miriam2 wrote: ... here is how ...
Miriam2 in previous post wrote:I have never found it difficult to find the quote material in upper posts, if I ever even wanted to see the entire post and even if there are many pages. (underline added)
I found it quite difficult to locate posts in earlier pages of multi-page threads. For example, here is a quote from a post you made a few days ago:
Miriam2 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:25 pm This is new since the last upgrade - I cannot create and post a reply without other coding-type characters appearing in my "post a reply" window, ...
Just clicking on the little up arrow takes you directly to that post. Isn't that better than having to track it down?

While I'm talking about new features, there are two regarding "code" blocks: one I don't like and one I do. To illustrate, here is an extract from a table in another post:

Code: Select all

Col A   Col B      Col C      Col D        Col E      Col F        Col G      Col H
                         $0.00 Extra          $15,759.16 Extra        $29,577.65 Extra
                    --------------------    --------------------    --------------------
Row   Mo   Month     Payment     Balance     Payment     Balance     Payment     Balance

280,000.00              280,000.00              280,000.00
  9    1  Aug 17    3,843.40  277,119.10    3,843.40  277,119.10    3,843.40  277,119.10
 10    2  Sep 17    3,843.40  274,228.30    3,843.40  274,228.30    3,843.40  274,228.30
 11    3  Oct 17    3,843.40  271,327.56   19,602.56  255,568.41   33,421.05  241,749.91
 12    4  Nov 17    3,843.40  268,416.85    3,843.40  252,603.52    3,843.40  238,737.53
 13    5  Dec 17    3,843.40  265,496.14    3,843.40  249,628.45    3,843.40  235,714.79
 14    6  Jan 18    3,843.40  262,565.38    3,843.40  246,643.15    3,843.40  232,681.66
 15    7  Feb 18    3,843.40  259,624.56    3,843.40  243,647.59    3,843.40  229,638.11
 16    8  Mar 18    3,843.40  256,673.62    3,843.40  240,641.73    3,843.40  226,584.09
 17    9  Apr 18    3,843.40  253,712.54    3,843.40  237,625.54    3,843.40  223,519.58
 18   10  May 18    3,843.40  250,741.27    3,843.40  234,598.98    3,843.40  220,444.53
 19   11  Jun 18    3,843.40  247,759.80    3,843.40  231,562.01    3,843.40  217,358.91
 20   12  Jul 18    3,843.40  244,768.08    3,843.40  228,514.61    3,843.40  214,262.68
 21   13  Aug 18    3,843.40  241,766.07    3,843.40  225,456.73    3,843.40  211,155.81
 22   14  Sep 18    3,843.40  238,753.74    3,843.40  222,388.34    3,843.40  208,038.26
I purposely put the headings in their own code block so they would remain visible while users scrolled down the rows of data. This still works, but it looks weird because of the blank line now inserted between the two code blocks. Also before, this paragraph would have followed on the next line after the code block. But the new board inserts blank lines before and after code blocks whether I want them or not.

On the plus side the new board software enables horizontal scrolling inside a code block. To see this, narrow your browser window until the table above no longer fits. When this happens, you should see a horizontal scroll bar that allows viewing the right side of the table. In earlier versions of the board software, the table contents would wrap, making multi-column tables practically unreadable. This new feature is especially useful when viewing on a cell phone.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

#Cruncher wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: ... here is how I get rid of that date and time and day and minute clutter :annoyed : When I am quoting to create a post, in the "post a reply" window, delete everything between the last letter of the quoted person's name to that line's closing bracket.
Please consider not doing this, Miriam. Leaving the "quote" line intact enables a nice change that this new board software instituted. Namely, the little up arrow to the right of "wrote:" is a link to the post from which the quote is taken. I usually modified my posts to include such a link. And here you're suggesting something that will remove such links. If you really find the time stamp so aesthetically repulsive, how about just deleting the portion of the "quote" line beginning with "time="? This will get rid of the date & time, but leave the up-arrow link.
Yes, the little arrow is a nice feature and doesn't detract from the quoted material. Since clicking on it takes us directly to the post from whence it came :happy , I'm not sure why we even need the date-time-day-year stamp, which to me detracts from the quote post window.

Thank you for suggesting this.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Was something major supposed to have happened between last evening and this morning? The forum (at least the initial page) has an entirely new look today vs. yesterday afternoon (8/18) and before.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Yes, that's quite a little glitch going on there! :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, I forgot to post here. The "glitch" is discussed in: Home Page Updated
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mrc

Post by mrc »

Perhaps I'm the only one, but still receiving old notifications. Most recent from 08/15 2:16PM. I'll be glad when the backlog is complete. Or I have a really crappy mail hosting service ...
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

You are not alone. Still getting a few strays from last Monday or Tuesday. But it does seem that all (or almost all) of the new ones are coming through as they should.
digarei

Image specification

Post by digarei »

odd

After editing an existing post that contains an image, I often receive an error upon clicking Preview or Submit:

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.

I believe the URL is correct—the image has displayed just fine for the last n months, after all.

Sometimes I'm forced to remove the image URI entirely; other times it will accept it after deleting the URL string and subsequently retyping it. Example follows... Am I coding this incorrectly or has the software changed?

[img]http://I.imgur.com/ad9Kdkx.jpg[/img]
[\code]
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The phpBB support community is indicating problems with this version of the forum software (version 3.2.1). Removal of the EXIF data might help. I don't see a bug reported, so I'll keep looking.

I downloaded the image and got an error viewing it locally - "Not a JPEG file". I then changed the file extension link from ".jpg" to ".png". The image is displaying correctly.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ad9Kdkx.png[/img]
Shows as:
You may be saving your image with an incorrect extension.

Changing the filename extension should not have worked, as that's a different URL than what you have linked. I suspect the web hosting site imgur.com/ is redirecting filename extensions.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 am Changing the filename extension should not have worked, as that's a different URL than what you have linked. I suspect the web hosting site imgur.com/ is redirecting filename extensions.
It's important to remember that Imgur is designed to *share* images on various Internet platforms, not to store high fidelity images. So it has several features to support sharing that you wouldn't find in an image storage site, such as automatically compressing large images and maximum file size limitations. One of the features in Imgur is that uploaded images are available under various extensions (URLs) for ease of sharing. The extensions I'm aware of are JPG, PNG, GIF, and GIFV. Try all of those with the OP's image and you'll see that they work.

It looks like the underlying format for the OP's image is a PNG image. When I inspect it under the JPG, GIF, or GIFV extensions, Firefox tells me it is actually a PNG image (Right click->View Image Info->Select image from the list and look at Type field). Browsers don't care if the extension doesn't match the binary header as they do rendering based off the binary headers. But it looks like phpBB expects the extension to match the header and gets confused when it does not match. So the OP should be using the PNG extension in the IMG tag to let phpBB software be able to properly inspect the headers for file size.
digarei

Post by digarei »

Interesting. Henceforth I'll change the jpg extension to png. Thanks
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

digarei wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:51 pm Interesting. Henceforth I'll change the jpg extension to png. Thanks
It might be a JPG though. For very large files, Imgur automatically converts them to JPG to compress the file size. The best bet is to look at the Image Properties through your browser of choice and see what Imgur stores it as.
digarei

Post by digarei »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:19 pm
digarei wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:51 pm Interesting. Henceforth I'll change the jpg extension to png. Thanks
It might be a JPG though. For very large files, Imgur automatically converts them to JPG to compress the file size. The best bet is to look at the Image Properties through your browser of choice and see what Imgur stores it as.
Difficult to do in iOS Safari—unless I've missed some trick.

I'm guessing that most of the image files I upload could be characterized as large files... 2-10 Mb
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

digarei wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:02 pm
Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:19 pm
Difficult to do in iOS Safari—unless I've missed some trick.

I'm guessing that most of the image files I upload could be characterized as large files... 2-10 Mb
Desktop Safari supposedly supports Inspect Elements with a control-click on the page. But I don't see the same for mobile Safari.

I guess the work-around is to try both extensions and see which one phpBB likes.
digarei

Post by digarei »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:39 pm
I guess the work-around is to try both extensions and see which one phpBB likes.
Yup. Thank you.
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

Apologies if this was covered in earlier posts (i didn't see it)... but the "page numbers" on the main page are no longer shown... so that means I have to click on the first page, then click on the page number to jump to a given page. This seems to be a step backward... requiring more clicks rather than less... Is there any way to bring those numbers back? (I frankly have found the recent changes to the forum to be making it more difficult/irritating to use, rather than better)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, the page numbers have been removed.

Are you using a mobile device or desktop?
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

I use desktop/tablets... not mobile (I'm one of those who still use a flip phone!)
Leif

Post by Leif »

Now you have a "Login" entry instead of a "View Your Posts". It was great when you could click on Views Posts and it prompted to login, if necessary.

Can we have a View Your Posts entry on the main page?
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Link to quoted post in reply.

I like that little up-arrow that allows one to link to the quoted post.

Unfortunately, it isn't always there! Please look at this example:
viewtopic.php?p=3487130#p3487130

When I look, the quoted post has no little up-arrow even though the quote appears to have all the pertinent info.

Maybe it's just me, but other examples I look at are OK.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

If you notice, none of the posts in that thread have them. All of them are from Aug 10 or earlier. I suspect the new feature only applies to replies created after the upgrade, which was Aug 12.
mrc

Post by mrc »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 am If you notice, none of the posts in that thread have them. All of them are from Aug 10 or earlier. I suspect the new feature only applies to replies created after the upgrade.
Also, if you edit out the post_id field in the quote tag:

[quote="Earl Lemongrab" post_id=3527764 time=1505147045 user_id=54311]
The arrow disappears.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

mrc wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:28 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 am If you notice, none of the posts in that thread have them. All of them are from Aug 10 or earlier. I suspect the new feature only applies to replies created after the upgrade.
Also, if you edit out the post_id field in the quote tag:

[quote="Earl Lemongrab" post_id=3527764 time=1505147045 user_id=54311]
The arrow disappears.
Right. I the link is something that pretty much has to happen at creation time, so if post didn't have them before they couldn't be added after with the upgrade.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 am If you notice, none of the posts in that thread have them. All of them are from Aug 10 or earlier. I suspect the new feature only applies to replies created after the upgrade, which was Aug 12.
That would be correct. Also, it only applies if the poster uses the board's quote buttons and doesn't edit the information between the quote BBCodes.

Sometimes, particularly when there is only a small portion of the material that I want to quote, I'll type in the quote BBCodes by hand, i.e.
bertilak wrote:Unfortunately, it isn't always there!
It's not there in this case because I inserted the quoted material via typing rather than using the quote button.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Thanks all. I did look to see if those wee "old" (pre upgrade) quotes but I'm still in August and forgot that the rest of the world has already moved on to September so those posts from Aug 10 and 11 looked pretty recent to me! I will now adjust the month in my internal clock!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The forum software has been updated to phpBB version 3.2.2, a maintenance and security release.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Thanks for the update, working as designed.

To all involved, thanks for keeping this great forum operational.

Good luck, and thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Thank you!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Yes, another big "Thank you!" to those mostly behind the scenes who make this site run.

It is unbelievable.
And we are among those who have benefited SO much.

As crazy and obnoxious as the Internet can be, there are some real gems out there, and Bogleheads is right at the top, if not THE top.

Morningstar helped us in one huge way, in the year before I found BH (that was the year BH started, I think).

There are a few others, but none of them have the combination of relative ease of use, knowledge/expertise, and sufficient moderating to keep it from turning into too much nastiness.
Oh, did I mention the knowledge and expertise? :happy

Thank you.

RM and MrRM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Suggested by nisiprius in Re: Using math notation in Bogleheads posts, superscript and subscript formatting is now available when you edit a post.

The last 3 menu buttons in the post editing area are:

"s" - strikethrough (existing)
"sub" - subscript (new)
"super" - superscript (new)

You can build a fraction by combining "superscript / subscript" like this:

[super]1[/super]/[sub]2[/sub]
1/2

Use in a formula:

1 = 1/2 + 1/2
Bulgogi Head

Post by Bulgogi Head »

Suggestion: it would be very helpful if the bottom of each thread could have a link back to the forum you were browsing instead of just to “board index”. For example, if I was looking at a thread in “Investing News and General”, have a link at the bottom of the thread so I could go back to “Investing News and General” instead of having to go back to “Board Index” and then “Investinng News and General”. It would take the steps down from two to one.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Bulgogi Head wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:15 pm Suggestion: it would be very helpful if the bottom of each thread could have a link back to the forum you were browsing instead of just to “board index”. For example, if I was looking at a thread in “Investing News and General”, have a link at the bottom of the thread so I could go back to “Investing News and General” instead of having to go back to “Board Index” and then “Investinng News and General”. It would take the steps down from two to one.
It does for me. For instance, at the bottom of this thread I see:

< Return to “Forum Issues and Administration”
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ In desktop view, you are correct. With a mobile device the link does not appear.

L-o-n-g story short, we need to stay with the existing layout. The best I can suggest is to click /tap on the "up" chevron at the bottom-right of each post. That will get you to the top of the page. Then, click / tap on the forum link.

So, two steps is the best we can do.
Bulgogi Head

Post by Bulgogi Head »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:49 pm ^^^ In desktop view, you are correct. With a mobile device the link does not appear.

L-o-n-g story short, we need to stay with the existing layout. The best I can suggest is to click /tap on the "up" chevron at the bottom-right of each post. That will get you to the top of the page. Then, click / tap on the forum link.

So, two steps is the best we can do.
Thank you! I did not know about the “up” button. This is easy enough to do and saves my thumbs from scrolling back up through long threads.
Miriam2

Re: What's new and changed in phpBB 3.1

Post by Miriam2 »

Is there a way to post lists of items or names in columns, so they show up on the post as 2 or 3 columns rather than one long list, taking up post space? It is often easier for viewers to see the list as 2 or 3 shorter columns rather than one long list.

If we post names and then tab over to create a second column, the tab does not stay around as a second column when the post appears. I don't see a button to create columns or tables.

I googled "phpBB create a column" and, well, it's complicated out there in phpBB-land :shock:
Last edited by Miriam2 on Thu May 31, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I moved your post into here.

Sorry, creating a post list of items in columns is not supported. (This would be called a "Table" - rows and columns.) We have prior discussions on that: Tables feature and How do you post a column aligned table of data ?

Also, the tab key doesn't work like a text editor. It will indeed jump outside the post editing area.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sorry, creating a post list of items in columns is not supported. (This would be called a "Table" - rows and columns.) We have prior discussions on that: Tables feature and How do you post a column aligned table of data ?

Also, the tab key doesn't work like a text editor. It will indeed jump outside the post editing area.
Thank you LadyGeek :happy
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

What some people do is use the code tags, indicated by </> above. This puts the text in a non-proportional font. You can then use tabs or spaces to align things. It's not super easy, but works after a fashion. Use a lot of previews.

column1 column 2 column 3
   11      22       33
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: What some people do is use the code tags, indicated by </> above. This puts the text in a non-proportional font. You can then use tabs or spaces to align things. It's not super easy, but works after a fashion. Use a lot of previews.

11      22       33
Thanks Earl! Yes, this is a good substitute, puts it into a window, but at least the info is in columns (with practice :D

For coding troglodytes like me - this is how I do it- (first row) code tag text tab text tab text enter, (next row will be)text tab text tab text enter, (third & last row would be)text tab text tab text end code tag
mrc

Post by mrc »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:36 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: What some people do is use the code tags, indicated by </> above. This puts the text in a non-proportional font. You can then use tabs or spaces to align things. It's not super easy, but works after a fashion. Use a lot of previews.

11      22       33
Thanks Earl! Yes, this is a good substitute, puts it into a window, but at least the info is in columns (with practice :D
Pro tip: Construct your table in a text app and use any mono-spaced font. Use spaces, not tabs. Then it's a cut-n-paste into the forum window, and add the </> tag. :beer
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mrc wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:43 pm

11      22       33
Pro tip: Construct your table in a text app and use any mono-spaced font. Use spaces, not tabs. Then it's a cut-n-paste into the forum window, and add the </> tag. :beer
Thanks mrc! But where are you "constructing your table in a text app"? Do you mean in our BH posting window, or in another program then cut-n-paste into our BH window? (ps I was editing my post when you were posting )
mrc

Post by mrc »

Miriam2 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 pm
mrc wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:43 pm

11      22       33
Thanks mrc! But where are you "constructing your table in a text app"? Do you mean in our BH posting window, or in another program then cut-n-paste into our BH window? (ps I was editing my post when you were posting )
In another app. Tricky on a phone, I know, But I'm a desktopDiehard(tm)!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

mrc wrote: In another app. Tricky on a phone, I know, But I'm a desktopDiehard(tm)!
I don't work on a phone or ipad or laptop either - I'm also a Desktop Diehard, have a nice large powerful professional desktop :happy
Also I'm a WordPerfect Diehard :D :D used it at work and home for some 30 years :mrgreen:
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I use Notepad on Windows desktop. That works reasonably well. Tab spacing can vary between applications.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: I use Notepad on Windows desktop. That works reasonably well. Tab spacing can vary between applications.
Thanks, I'll give it a try 8-)
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Recently posts that I have made with [url=...] have been oddly rendered. The post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=253203&newpost=4004280#p4004314 was made using bbcode of the form

[url=...]ABCD[/url]

but what is displayed has unexpected line breaks before and after the content ("ABCD"). The line breaks are likely due to links.css having a style rule for the HTML A tag with a property:value pair of display:inline-block.

That style rule includes the comment: "we use links inline more often then not so to address several bugs with IE and some other browsers we render all links as inlineblock by default". Unless the several bugs with some browsers make inline links unusable with them, please remove display:inline-block from the style rule. With Firefox 52.8.1 (32-bit), the latest for the operating system on my computer, the link becomes a block element.

A second odd rendering is the unexpected line drawn below the hyperlink content. That is likely due to links.css having a style rule for the class postlink with a property:value pair border-bottom:1px solid transparent; transparent being overridden due to colours.css having a style rule for the class postlink with a property:value pair of border-bottom-color: #368AD2. Those postlink class style rules combined with the display:inline-block for the A tag likely force the A content to become a block.

Unless this is necessary to workaround bugs with some browsers, please remove it. Better yet, please remove all the style rules for the A tag and class postlink (and perhaps other style rule) and let browsers use their default style for hyperlinks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I tried quoting your post, but the BBCode interpreter could not handle the format you've shown. (Everything after the first BBCode resulted in an underlined link.) The BBCode displayed in your post is not what you've used. Also, I don't see the extra line breaks in your example post.

Let's look at your BBCode in a controlled manner. (The Code button "</>" in the edit menu toolbar.)

[url=...[b][/b]]ABCD[/url[b][/b]]
The embedded

[b][/b]
is not supported, which may be confusing the BBCode interpreter. The phpBB BBCode guide defines the "stock" BBCodes we support.

As for modifying CSS, we don't have the resources to test the many, many browser and device configurations supported by this software. For this reason, we must stick with the "stock" configuration. It's not the best way to do things, but it works.

If this doesn't fix your problem, feel free to supply a few detailed examples in Please Try Out Test Posts Here and we'll work through them.