Please truncate the display of usernames on the home page

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
investor1

Please truncate the display of usernames on the home page

Post by investor1 »

When a user with a long username posts it makes the home page difficult to read since it shortens the width of the column that displays the thread title. Users should be able to use whatever username they wish without affecting the readability of the site.

Please limit the number of characters in a user's name that will be displayed on the front page to something like 15 characters. Other solutions are welcomed as well such as allowing the home page to span the user's screen for people using computers with high resolution, or making the thread title column a fixed width.
Last edited by investor1 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inky

Re: Please truncate the display of usernames on the home pag

Post by inky »

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering what the heck happened to the formatting on the home page.
noktem

Post by noktem »

Me too! It makes sense now.
celia

Post by celia »

It looks like usernames are currently truncated, but at 25 letters. Fifteen looks more reasonable. Maybe the admins can see how many active usernames are of each length and implement a rule that would accommodate 99% of the current names.

Instead of long usernames, users are free to have a quote/ saying/ joke of longer length in the signature area for each posting they make.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

It was originally truncated at 15 characters after I scientifically determined the perfect maximum display length (by counting the number of characters in "Taylor Larimore" :-)). While I was taking a break from the forum a few months ago, the homepage was rewritten to accommodate some other changes and this function was inadvertently dropped. We'll fix it ASAP.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Fixed.
Topic Author
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Thank you!!!