Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Discussions about the forum and contents
FrugalInvestor

Re: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Dislike the idea of a like button. :annoyed This is a very different sort of site than Facebook and I'd like it to stay that way (no pun intended).
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
zuma

Post by zuma »

pondering wrote: Even getting an option for the Home tag on every page being user selectable (the default works very poorly in Safari) was turned down.

The current crowd here is self selected. They like things the way they are. A like button has multiple uses. As a lighter form of engagement it is particularly suitable to mobile use.
A like button could have multiple uses, however the benefits of such a feature do not outweigh the drawbacks according to the people who manage the site. Namely, they are worried about how introducing social feedback systems like this can influence the behaviors of a community in unintended ways. I respect their decision and happen to agree with them too. If you don't agree, consider addressing the core argument to make your case. Suggesting that we're "not all that interested in trying something new" doesn't seem fair to me.
Last edited by zuma on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I'm grateful that this site fosters education and community and not popularity.
pondering

Post by pondering »

The pejorative term used was yours, not mine. Several of them have been used here, and if I have used any, I'll correct my posts. Leaving name calling in a thread like this is inappropriate on both sides.

The experience of people in social media is that making a site easier to use increases engagement and broadens your audience.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
zuma

Post by zuma »

pondering wrote:The pejorative term used was yours, not mine. Several of them have been used here, and if I have used any, I'll correct my posts. Leaving name calling in a thread like this is inappropriate on both sides.
Fair point. I've updated my post. :)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:50 am Dislike the idea of a like button. :annoyed This is a very different sort of site than Facebook and I'd like it to stay that way (no pun intended).
Agree.

I use a forum which has like, dislike , agree, funny, etc buttons. The other board is a social online place for knitters, crocheters, weavers etc, so the buttons are fine in a social context.

This forum is meant to educate and inform - buttons would be a distraction from the mission.
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

I never signed up for Facebook so don't know how to use the like button and have many interesting things on my to-learn list so don't mind not learning to use a like button.
Jokes apart, I think buttons degrade the quality of interactions. Sure, the quantity may go up but people tend to just press buttons and not explain why they are doing it. Just the act of hitting reply and typing a emoji is more involved and indicates that the person really appreciated your post.
As for reputation, it would make harder for newer contributors to get attention even though they might have valid points. Hedgeifund's post might be ignored by most if he/she shows up as novice. The reputation is built by active community members recognizing who posts quality material
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:01 pm It's been discussed before, check this thread: I Wish There Was. "Like" Button. The short answer is that there will not be any "like" button in this forum.
Mahalo.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 pm
Munir wrote:
legio XX wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
LadyGeek wrote: The answer is still no.
And it will be "NO" tomm. and next year and the year after that for all eternity. It ain't gonna happen. Period.
Good. :beer
Vic
Mel, as usual, you are being too subtle. Can you please be more clear? :happy
I just didn't want to be the bad guy, so I was trying to be as subtle as possible. 8-)
I don't just "like" the above exchange. I LOVE it. <3
I wasn't familiar with the past lobbying for a "like" button so thanks for the bump. Delighted to see the commitment from the top down - for all the right reasons. Stay the course...
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Please do not add a "like" button. It will make the site more addictive. It will not add anything positive.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Elric

Post by Elric »

Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:29 am The scholarly consensus on this appears to supports my position. The dynamics vary depending on the type of site and type of rating system, but it is now taken as given that these systems lead to distortions in contributor behavior in what I feel are negative ways. For example:
How Community Feedback Shapes User Behavior, Cheng et al, arXiv.org, 6 May 2014
Your service, your rules, but I hardly think that Bogleheads is similar to CNN, Breitbart, IGN, or whatever Allkpop is. That would be like saying Vanguard's PAS is a ridiculous concept because Edward Jones doesn't provide good value, and they are both advisory services.
Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:29 am Social Influence Bias: A Randomized Experiment, Muchnik et al, Science 9 August 2013
In this article, the authors state "There are legal obstacles to making the data available and revealing the name of the Web site," but it does say "the website provides a web based architecture for a community of people to submit synopses of news and entertainment-related posts published elsewhere on the web with links pointing to the outside content. These posts compete for a visible spot on the web site’s front
page as they are ranked by the community members." Again, not really what Bogleheads is about.

I have certainly seen the value of voting on, for example, Stack Overflow. An up vote button does not have to be a Facebook "Like." There are up and down votes on Stack Overflow, that while not perfect, has value in searching for the better answers. Now 1) that is strictly a Q&A and reference cite and 2) it isn't perfect. Still, I think it adds considerable value to that site when going through a thread of answers to find the best information. I would NOT suggest negative votes on this site (although a negative vote could just subtract from up-votes), as SHOWING down votes could stir too much contention. :thumbsup
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
ERguy101

A way to "thank" posts

Post by ERguy101 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Just curious if yall can do an addon where you can "thank" or "like" a post. So many posts here are excellent, and I want to tell the poster thank you, but it's overboard to write a whole post. A simple "Like" button would be great, and the "likes" would be tallied under the post. I would avoid any kind of "dislike" button that would convey a negative attitude. Just allows us to say thank you and then move on.
Sandtrap

Re: A way to "thank" posts

Post by Sandtrap »

How to thank someone without needing a "like" button.

Do it like this:
(Reply in thread)
"Great post. Thanks! :D"

Or, send a PM to the poster.
Something like this:
"Great post. Thanks! :D "
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Excellent idea! Especially to exclude any type of "dislike" which is useless feedback most of the time.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I fear it would reward snark.
LFS1234

Post by LFS1234 »

Goal33 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:01 am I fear it would reward snark.
+1
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I suggested nearly this exact item a year ago as a diff forum I use has a 'thanks' button.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

Send an IM. A personal thank you means a lot more than a Facebook-style like.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

The issue of a "like" button has been brought up in the past. There is a long discussion of this subject (and why the forum owners are not in favor of such a button) in this thread.

If you would like to express appreciation for a particularly helpful post, a simple "Thanks for the great information" post would be fine, that's been done countless times here.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

Please DONT ever add a like button or anything else that's just tallying clicks. That adds nothing but a social media element to an otherwise useful discussion.

If you want to agree or thank someone, just make a post doing so.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Goal33 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:01 am I fear it would reward snark.
Complete agree. The snark-factor has been rising steadily in recent months, to the degree where I've seen posts where the poster starts with something like "please be kind" before the question is presented.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

aerosurfer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:07 am Please DONT ever add a like button or anything else that's just tallying clicks. That adds nothing but a social media element to an otherwise useful discussion.

+1,000.

Simple and easy is not the proper way to thank someone. If the amount of effort of writing a post and/or message is too much, don't do it.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I am uncomfortable with this change and any other changes. Please keep the 90's era brutalist text interface with no color choices. This is the correct interface for a website. I am not yet ready for 2009's "like" button technology. Besides, I've noticed that suggestions rarely come with a bag of money.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

KlangFool wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:45 am
aerosurfer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:07 am Please DONT ever add a like button or anything else that's just tallying clicks. That adds nothing but a social media element to an otherwise useful discussion.

+1,000.

Simple and easy is not the proper way to thank someone. If the amount of effort of writing a post and/or message is too much, don't do it.

KlangFool
+1
Absolutely!
j :happy
Accrual

Post by Accrual »

Send a PM. I would stop visiting this website if such Facebook-esque 'features' were ever implemented.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Accrual wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:49 am Send a PM. I would stop visiting this website if such Facebook-esque 'features' were ever implemented.
I think a lot of people would leave the site.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:03 am
Accrual wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:49 am Send a PM. I would stop visiting this website if such Facebook-esque 'features' were ever implemented.
In the long run, a lot of people will leave the site in any case, and an increasing portion of the potential new audience won’t be put off by (and will be accustomed to) social media features.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

No. Use a PM to send a gift card.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Personally, I wish there was a way to "track" a thread. Currently, the only way I know is make a comment (even if I don't really have anything to contribute) so I can "view my posts" later.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

topper1296 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:30 am Personally, I wish there was a way to "track" a thread. Currently, the only way I know is make a comment (even if I don't really have anything to contribute) so I can "view my posts" later.
You can "subscribe" a topic if you want to keep track of it. That way, you get notified for any new posts. Go the the very top of the post, hit the button that looks like a wrench and hit subscribe topic. There's also an option to bookmark posts, which I like better.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

stlutz wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:14 am Send an IM. A personal thank you means a lot more than a Facebook-style like.
*Liked*... erm I mean agreed.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

mervinj7 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:39 am
topper1296 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:30 am Personally, I wish there was a way to "track" a thread. Currently, the only way I know is make a comment (even if I don't really have anything to contribute) so I can "view my posts" later.
You can "subscribe" a topic if you want to keep track of it. That way, you get notified for any new posts. Go the the very top of the post, hit the button that looks like a wrench and hit subscribe topic. There's also an option to bookmark posts, which I like better.
Thanks mervinj7. I was just testing Bookmark out for topper1296 and was notified of your post as a result. It is nice that you can go to your Control Panel and see all bookmarked posts as some may be older posts that I find of value but for which future replies are less likely.

Cheers
celia

Post by celia »

Please don't add a new post saying "thanks" or "great post" unless you are the original poster and want to acknowledge your question was answered. I cringe to think of an excellent post that is followed by 100 "Thanks" or "Great post" unless they add an additional comment to extend the topic further (for example, another reason why OP should consider this or that).
Or you can bookmark the page. I've even started (browser) bookmark folders for various topics that I may want to return to in the future: housing, SS, travel, etc
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:03 am
Agree, thanks for the comment
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:32 am The issue of a "like" button has been brought up in the past. There is a long discussion of this subject (and why the forum owners are not in favor of such a button) in this thread.

If you would like to express appreciation for a particularly helpful post, a simple "Thanks for the great information" post would be fine, that's been done countless times here.
Agree.

Also, thanking a poster is more meaningful if reasons for it are included, since it is possible to thank someone for the wrong reasons (e.g., because their post was misunderstood).
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
CommitmentDevice

Post by CommitmentDevice »

Like button or no like button? I don't know.
What I do know is that Bogleheads.org has achieved something rare and valuable... insightful, authentic engagement. SOMETHING about the way this community is structured is working quite well, and I'm inclined to think that the current forum design is contributing to that positive community culture.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

CommitmentDevice wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:26 pm Like button or no like button? I don't know.
What I do know is that Bogleheads.org has achieved something rare and valuable... insightful, authentic engagement. SOMETHING about the way this community is structured is working quite well, and I'm inclined to think that the current forum design is contributing to that positive community culture.
I view the site as an immune response to Edward Jones, Morgan Stanley, Raymond James, high-cost 401ks, and every other way that investors get separated from their money. We also talk about water heaters.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged ERguy101's thread into the on-going discussion.

We will not be adding a "like" button.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:51 pm I merged ERguy101's thread into the on-going discussion.

We will not be adding a "like" button.
Thanks!
j
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:01 pm The short answer is that there will not be any "like" button in this forum.
Good call!
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

I'm glad that we won't be adding a "like" button.

Why would we want to be more like Facebook/Reddit?

Bogleheads.org is better than both of those sites.

I think that "like" buttons incentivize bad behavior.
Elric

Post by Elric »

celia wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 am Please don't add a new post saying "thanks" or "great post" unless you are the original poster and want to acknowledge your question was answered. I cringe to think of an excellent post that is followed by 100 "Thanks" or "Great post"
:thumbsup If only there was some minimalist way of doing so, taking up very little space and not cluttering up a thread. Some simple icon and count system. I don't know what that could possibly be, but maybe we could call it a "Like Button." Too bad we lack the technology.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
mchampse

Post by mchampse »

I’ll say me piece on this...

I think there should be a “like”, “agree”, “thumbs up” or whatever button.

My rationale is that many threads (this one being a prime example) end up having a lot of posters basically saying the same thing. Some kind of “agree” button would give people an outlet to agree with another poster without creating more posts. The real estate posts tend to do the same where a whole bunch of people give the same reasons as to why they think real estate is a bad investment and similarly many of the reasons why it’s good tend to get repeated.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

For particularly useful information that one likes, one should consider condensing and clarifying it and getting it into the Wiki. That is a great place for consistently useful ideas to live in and be more easily found.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Please don’t add a “like” button. And may we let this thread quietly disappear.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
nexesn

Post by nexesn »

I "Like" this :D . In seriousness, thanks for the info. Had no idea you could subscribe to a topic. Even though I've been reading Bogleheads.org for 1.5 years, I'd say I'm still a total newbie :happy :happy
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

nexesn wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:42 am

I "Like" this :D . In seriousness, thanks for the info. Had no idea you could subscribe to a topic. Even though I've been reading Bogleheads.org for 1.5 years, I'd say I'm still a total newbie :happy :happy
No problem. I have a few dozen topics that I keep bookmarked for handy references. For example, Kevin M's post on Tax Equivalent Yields is indispensable.
ronno2018

Is there an "upvote" feature in the forums?

Post by ronno2018 »

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

I am not seeing that option. Often I quote someone and reply but sometimes I just want to agree/support. Am I missing that ability? THANKS!
Last edited by ronno2018 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheese_breath

Re: Is there an "upvote" feature in the forums?

Post by cheese_breath »

To support someone, quote the post and reply +1
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
ronno2018

Re: Is there an "upvote" feature in the forums?

Post by ronno2018 »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:43 pm To support someone, quote the post and reply +1
+1 but I just want a button to click -- easy peasy.