Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Discussions about the forum and contents
gkaplan

Re: What the forum is missing... [ability to upvote posts]

Post by gkaplan »

inky wrote:I have often wished for an upvote button to be able to silently show my appreciation for a particular post. There are so many amazing gems posted here; I wonder if the posters often have any idea how many people they are impacting with their words. A count of "thumbs up" votes would give them some inkling, at least, and allow readers a chance to express their appreciation and gratitude.
Expressing in words speaks louder than clicking on a button. I can't believe this is an issue for people.
Gordon
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inky

Post by inky »

gkaplan wrote:
inky wrote:I have often wished for an upvote button to be able to silently show my appreciation for a particular post. There are so many amazing gems posted here; I wonder if the posters often have any idea how many people they are impacting with their words. A count of "thumbs up" votes would give them some inkling, at least, and allow readers a chance to express their appreciation and gratitude.
Expressing in words speaks louder than clicking on a button. I can't believe this is an issue for people.
If everyone replied with a +1 who liked a particular post, the discussions would become clogged with such posts. The upvote button is a nice unobtrusive way to achieve the same objective. Why else would so many major sites have implemented it?
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

inky wrote:
gkaplan wrote:
If everyone replied with a +1 who liked a particular post, the discussions would become clogged with such posts. The upvote button is a nice unobtrusive way to achieve the same objective. Why else would so many major sites have implemented it?
A +1 is not "expressing in words." They also aren't acceptable here, moderators may delete them without notice. The answer is a PM. Quoting myself from an earlier thread on this issue:
Alex Frakt wrote:
SoonerSunDevil wrote:So you'd rather posters who totally agree with a post say "Excellent point JackBogleFan123, I completely agree!" That takes up more bandwith than a +1. Hell, this entire thread is taking up more bandwith than a year's worth of +1 comments.
Actually I'd rather that posts that contain no actual information not be written in the first place. If you find a post to be that exceptional, you can always send the person who wrote it a PM telling them so. I'm sure they'll appreciate it and you won't be wasting the time of the 100s of people who get notice e-mails or click on an updated thread only to find nothing new.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Alex Frakt wrote: The answer is a PM.
Amen to that (is that enough content?).

I send a PM when I particularly like a post, and sometime I receive the same.

Should I have written +1? No, and I won't now.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

I also think upvoting/+1'ing a post has to do with the mindset or previous experience of the poster in other forums.
If a poster is used to visiting a forum like reddit where you appreciate good posts by upvoting them, then they would feel doing the same here.
I myself am guilty of +1'ing a few posts here.

Upvotes have their benefits and drawbacks, but ultimately it's up to forum admins to decide which direction they want the discussions to go.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
rayout

Post by rayout »

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/

There's also subreddits on investing, frugality and financial independence. The level of expertise is nowhere near bogleheads though.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

I thought this article might be of interest. It is not positive on "upvoting"!

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013 ... ng-systems
the guardian wrote: 'Herd effect' skews online rating systems, study finds
People's tendency to 'like' what others like online may distort user ratings for comments, articles or products
RIP Mr. Bogle.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This behavior also applies to investors. See: Behavioral pitfalls, under "Herd behavior"

Investing related comments can be posted here: Wiki - Emotions and Investing (new investors - read this)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bogle1374

Like button for this site?

Post by Bogle1374 »

[Thread merged into here, see below --admin LadyGeek]

I wish there were a like button on this site, or something akin to Facebook's "Like" button.
A lot of the comments are worth the affirmation, but we can only comment as such. I guess I'm lazy.
And it might be nice to see which comments/posts get likes.
herbie

Re: Like button for this site?

Post by herbie »

Commenting with +1 just adds clutter. I agree this would be a great feature.
Last edited by herbie on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

Here's a really interesting video on Facebook likes and what the creator calls Facebook Fraud - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfHeWTKjag
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

I think this has been discussed multiple times and rejected.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
rob

Post by rob »

No please please don't...... A few of us are old enough to remember when M* tried this and it turned a bad idea into a disaster :shock:
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Welcome,
Your request comes up every so often since the site was opened. By far, most of us would not like a "like".
This is not a social site, this is a site where investment guidance is the primary reason for it's existence.
If you want to make a comment, then do so. We hope you will.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
cfs

Post by cfs »

Thanks for asking

Personally I "Like" the fact that the is no "Like" button on this site.

Have a productive weekend.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
soaring

Post by soaring »

Sidney wrote:I think this has been discussed multiple times and rejected.
It has and I'm against it. Never been on facebook and likes/dislikes are too subjective anyway. NO
Desiderata
herbie

Post by herbie »

rob wrote:No please please don't...... A few of us are old enough to remember when M* tried this and it turned a bad idea into a disaster :shock:
Just because it has failed in one implementation doesn't mean that it can't work. I am active on another forum with a simple "like" and I find it quite useful.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Last edited by Sheepdog on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
herbie

Post by herbie »

no longer applicable
Last edited by herbie on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

herbie wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:Here is one thread with that question http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67605
The answer was no, and the conversation was LOCKED

Here is another one http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 3&t=107329
Once again the answer was no. LadyGeek, a moderator, said this:

This post is incredibly misleading. The first thread you mention was locked because there was a later post. The quote you attribute to Lady Geek is blatantly wrong - only the first line was her.

You are absolutely correct, I did mis read and quote. Please accept my apology.
Jim
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

I don't think "like" is exactly what people are proposing but, there should be a way to do something like "+1" for the posts that contain information helpful forever...

I think reading the complete thread; all threads returned by search questions is one way - However bogleheads today, have more than 40k members and ever increasing. The number of posts per month continue to rise and index/crawlers can be only...you know algorithms with blind spots.

My 2 cents for constructive thoughts.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
richard

Post by richard »

Just to be clear on LadyGeek quotes:
LadyGeek wrote:It's been discussed before, check this thread: I Wish There Was. "Like" Button. The short answer is that there will not be any "like" button in this forum.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 3#p1559453
skeptical1

Post by skeptical1 »

Please don’t! I think it would trivialize an incredibly useful site. Personally, I had a FB account for 1 week and will likely never forgive myself for it.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Bogle1374 wrote:I wish there were a like button on this site, or something akin to Facebook's "Like" button.
A lot of the comments are worth the affirmation, but we can only comment as such. I guess I'm lazy.
And it might be nice to see which comments/posts get likes.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

richard wrote:Just to be clear on LadyGeek quotes:
LadyGeek wrote:It's been discussed before, check this thread: I Wish There Was. "Like" Button. The short answer is that there will not be any "like" button in this forum.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 3#p1559453
Which is now merged with this thread, in the Forum Issues and Administration forum. My opinion remains- there won't be any "like" button in this forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

rob wrote:No please please don't...... A few of us are old enough to remember when M* tried this and it turned a bad idea into a disaster :shock:
What was this disaster? Multiple references to it, but no details; it sounds fascinating! I'm aware the admins have made it very clear on multiple occasions that such a feature will not be added to these forums, but as I only have experience with systems where it is useful and used often, I'm wondering what the source of the apprehension is.

After reading various threads on this topic, it seems that most are fearful that a "+1" or " :thumbsup" or "Like button" option would inevitably devolve into some sort of popularity or ranking system. I'm not sure why this fear exists. Being that it's stored electronically, I suppose the data could be collected and mined to present monthly popularity reports, but for what purpose? Two reasons for providing such an ability are to prevent the time- and space-wasting instances where someone quotes a previous poster and just writes "+1" in response, and also simply to give feedback to a poster on how many viewers appreciated the time they took to create their post. (For example, I appreciate when a poster takes extra time to create and include a chart to illustrate their point.)

Would some posters become jealous that others are getting more "Likes" than they are? LOL, come on bogleheads... 90% of you all extremely rich adults; I don't think you should be worrying about things like who got more +1's than you last month. If you do, then I'll trade some of my self-confidence for your cash and we'll call it even. :wink:

#itsNotACompetion
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Likes are useless for information. It's too ambiguous.

What did you like? Why? We can't make an investment decision without knowing the reasoning behind it. Ok people tilt small value. That's nice to know. I need to know why.

Ok so someone explains why they tilt small value. It gets liked. But is it liked for the explanation of why they tilted small value or is it liked because the post is written in a clever way - witty and thoughtful.

I do like how stacktrace does a point system where people can vote for useful information and the original poster can select a best answer. That however works because the answers are immediately testable and can be soon verified as correct.

So the 80% of Bogleheads here who don't tilt will always vote for market weighting. And the filters will like tilting. And those who favor cds will like cds.

I don't care about popularity. I care about why the market weighters are market weighters. I care about why CDs and when are favorable or not to bonds.

I don't believe having a like button will reduce my need to actually read what people post and to actually understand if what they are saying has value.

A like system basically works for emotional content. Is that what investing is?
A point system works for things with a more definitive answer. Too many roads to Dublin I say and too many particular circumstances for us to try to tally a score.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

schuyler74 wrote:
What was this disaster? Multiple references to it, but no details; it sounds fascinating! I'm aware the admins have made it very clear on multiple occasions that such a feature will not be added to these forums, but as I only have experience with systems where it is useful and used often, I'm wondering what the source of the apprehension is.

After reading various threads on this topic, it seems that most are fearful that a "+1" or " :thumbsup" or "Like button" option would inevitably devolve into some sort of popularity or ranking system. I'm not sure why this fear exists. Being that it's stored electronically, I suppose the data could be collected and mined to present monthly popularity reports, but for what purpose? Two reasons for providing such an ability are to prevent the time- and space-wasting instances where someone quotes a previous poster and just writes "+1" in response, and also simply to give feedback to a poster on how many viewers appreciated the time they took to create their post. (For example, I appreciate when a poster takes extra time to create and include a chart to illustrate their point.)

Would some posters become jealous that others are getting more "Likes" than they are? LOL, come on bogleheads... 90% of you all extremely rich adults; I don't think you should be worrying about things like who got more +1's than you last month. If you do, then I'll trade some of my self-confidence for your cash and we'll call it even. :wink:

#itsNotACompetion
:thumbsdown
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
schuyler74

Post by schuyler74 »

pennstater2005 wrote, in response to what schuyler74 wrote: :thumbsdown
Ha! Thanks for making my point so eloquently, @pennstater2005.

#Q.E.D.
tfb

Post by tfb »

herbie wrote:
Just because it has failed in one implementation doesn't mean that it can't work. I am active on another forum with a simple "like" and I find it quite useful.
Exactly. It depends on implementation. Rewarding posters with positive feedback will encourage more positive contribution. When a visitor sees a lot of votes on a reply they know that's the one they should pay more attention to.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
traveltoomuch

Re: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Post by traveltoomuch »

I would love to see this feature added.

"Likes" provide a way to reinforce the really good posts without adding "me too" posts for everyone to wade through. They highlight great ideas in each thread. They keep threads compact and easy-to-read. As a reader, they help me separate the wheat from the chaff, enabling quick skimming a thread for the salient points. They save me time. And I "like" things that save me time.

As an example of this being done well: Milepoint.com (a frequent-flyer forum started by, among others, the same person who founded flyertalk) has a "like" system for posts. Unlike Fatwallet, it rates only posts, not whole threads. And, also unlike fatwallet, it has no "dislike" option - the only feedback is positive. And we don't have many "me too" posts.

I specifically suggest both positive and negative ratings, displaying the sum at the top of each post (fatwallet-style) but not rating threads.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

LowER

Post by LowER »

What about a "love" button?
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

gkaplan wrote: (Count me as one not wanting a "like" button. This is an investing forum, not a social forum.)
me too :thumbsdown
and, what is facebook?
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

"Being popular on Facebook is like sitting at the cool table in the cafeteria of a mental hospital."
- Anonymous
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

This again? I would only go for this if I could "like" my own posts as many times as I wish. That would make me feel really special.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

It's not going to happen. That was clearly stated previously. Nothing's changed so it's still the policy. Don't expect it to change in the future. Resurrecting this thread isn't going to change the outcome.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Gort

Post by Gort »

Mel Lindauer wrote:It's not going to happen. That was clearly stated previously. Nothing's changed so it's still the policy. Don't expect it to change in the future. Resurrecting this thread isn't going to change the outcome.
:thumbsup
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

One of the nicest things about this site is that you get to voice your like or dislike in longhand and other people get to respond in-kind with their well thought out informative opinions. Plus there are all those cute smilies that are so much more demonstrative than a simple "like" button. :happy<my favorite!
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

It WOULD be useful to have a button that says, roughly, I think this is really right on, this poster really knows where his towel is.

It would ALSO be handy to have a "totally bogus" button.
simmias

Post by simmias »

A reputation system? We don't even have a responsive forum. Although I think I read it was weeks away from implementation 10 months ago.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Mel Lindauer wrote:It's not going to happen. That was clearly stated previously. Nothing's changed so it's still the policy. Don't expect it to change in the future. Resurrecting this thread isn't going to change the outcome.
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Gordon
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

simmias wrote:A reputation system? We don't even have a responsive forum. Although I think I read it was weeks away from implementation 10 months ago.
That was a responsive forum style, which was done when we upgraded the software in May.
What's new and changed in phpBB 3.1
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

How about a "Dislike" button then? ;)

Someone brought up Milepoint as an example. I am a Milepointer, too, and a long time Flyertalker. And in a previous life I was a moderator of a fairly successful forum that was running this very software, phpBB. I often come here or to Flyertalk from Milepoint and find myself looking for the "Like" button. In my humble opinion, it is the online equivalent of politely nodding in agreement when listening to someone without interrupting the flow of the discussion with cheers of "yes! exactly!" I don't have the historic knowledge of what happened on Morningstar.

For new posters - I guess I qualify as one - it can also serve as assurance that their posts are valued. Do I need it? No. But frankly, it wouldn't hurt.

Then again, this is your sandbox, and we play with your toys or build or our own (not going to happen, of course).

Is there any policy against +1 posts?
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

TravelGeek wrote:Is there any policy against +1 posts?
It's usually too much trouble to enforce it, but +1 posts are non-actionable and may be deleted by the moderators. Nothing has changed since this 2009 thread The +1 mental disease is spreading (except that I usually try to be nicer when responding these days :-)):
Alex Frakt wrote:
SoonerSunDevil wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:"+1" posts without any additional comments are stupid: they are a waste of bandwidth and people's time. If moderators notice them, they may delete them at their discretion without notice.
So you'd rather posters who totally agree with a post say "Excellent point JackBogleFan123, I completely agree!" That takes up more bandwith than a +1. Hell, this entire thread is taking up more bandwith than a year's worth of +1 comments.
Actually I'd rather that posts that contain no actual information not be written in the first place. If you find a post to be that exceptional, you can always send the person who wrote it a PM telling them so. I'm sure they'll appreciate it and you won't be wasting the time of the 100s of people who get notice e-mails or click on an updated thread only to find nothing new.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Or you could always just stop being lazy and express your like by adding to the discussion.
g$$

Post by g$$ »

i love how this thread gets resurrected every now and then.

Personally i don't care for the "like" feature. Investing is not about being popular.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

For the record, I'll compile my previous posts on this topic.
Perhaps someone will someday devise a system that can't be gamed and provides useful information with no drawbacks, so I won't say we'll never have such a thing. But until then I'm not going to inflict a reputation/vote/thumbs system on our users. Aside from the philosophical problem I have with judging posts by their author rather than their content, all such systems are subject to manipulation that makes them of dubious usefulness. Partly because of this, ratings also lead to endless meta-discussions over the ratings themselves, which further decreases the signal-to-noise ratio.
Open ratings systems are too easy to game. A post or thread typically gets very few responses so a small group of dedicated people (or 1 person with multiple accounts) has the ability to hijack any ratings system to fit their particular outlook. We've already experienced attempted "raids" by groups of insurance agents, insurance and software company shills, and commissioned financial products salesmen. Since they have to post to have any effect, we've been able to keep them at bay. I don't want to give them any tools that lets them influence threads here while staying in the shadows. And then there are the homegrown issues. For example, any political posts would receive multiple ratings that would serve only to highlight items that should not be here at all.
xerty24 wrote:On FatWallet for example, you can rate both threads and individual posts, and in addition, you can see the list of all users who have rated something either + or -.
I belong to a forum that does this and is much more similar to this forum in terms of length and depth of threads than what is seen on FatWallet. What has happened is that most people never click, presumably because it's not anonymous, and many of those who do have ended up in sort of mutual admiration societies where they automatically uprate each other's posts. Maybe FatWallet's typical thread structure negates or masks this problem, but I believe it could be a real issue here.
It's not going to happen here. I participate in many forums that allow different forms of voting and there are two issues that can not be overcome. The first is that these things are too easily gamed. It's quite common for certain posters or topics to get automatic up or downvotes, regardless of the quality of a particular post. Worse, it also changes the character of the conversation as posters start pandering for up-votes or avoiding posting after a downvote. For most posters, this happens subconsciously, but it absolutely does happen.
The scholarly consensus on this appears to supports my position. The dynamics vary depending on the type of site and type of rating system, but it is now taken as given that these systems lead to distortions in contributor behavior in what I feel are negative ways. For example:

How Community Feedback Shapes User Behavior, Cheng et al, arXiv.org, 6 May 2014
Social media systems rely on user feedback and rating mechanisms for personalization, ranking, and content filtering. However, when users evaluate content contributed by fellow users (e.g., by liking a post or voting on a comment), these evaluations create complex social feedback effects. This paper investigates how ratings on a piece of content affect its author's future behavior. By studying four large comment-based news communities, we find that negative feedback leads to significant behavioral changes that are detrimental to the community. Not only do authors of negatively-evaluated content contribute more, but also their future posts are of lower quality, and are perceived by the community as such. Moreover, these authors are more likely to subsequently evaluate their fellow users negatively, percolating these effects through the community. In contrast, positive feedback does not carry similar effects, and neither encourages rewarded authors to write more, nor improves the quality of their posts. Interestingly, the authors that receive no feedback are most likely to leave a community. Furthermore, a structural analysis of the voter network reveals that evaluations polarize the community the most when positive and negative votes are equally split.
Social Influence Bias: A Randomized Experiment, Muchnik et al, Science 9 August 2013
Abstract:...Prior ratings created significant bias in individual rating behavior, and positive and negative social influences created asymmetric herding effects. Whereas negative social influence inspired users to correct manipulated ratings, positive social influence increased the likelihood of positive ratings by 32% and created accumulating positive herding that increased final ratings by 25% on average. This positive herding was topic-dependent and affected by whether individuals were viewing the opinions of friends or enemies. A mixture of changing opinion and greater turnout under both manipulations together with a natural tendency to up-vote on the site combined to create the herding effects.
In case you are wondering why sites use these tools even if they negatively affect the quality of the content, it is important to to keep in mind that they do tend to increase page views. This is the primary concern of commercial sites, but ranks no higher than third in importance to us (behind providing useful information and fostering our community).