Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Discussions about the forum and contents
criticalmass

Re: Is there an "upvote" feature in the forums?

Post by criticalmass »

placeholder wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:43 pm To support someone, quote the post and reply +1
I hate that.
:thumbsup
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

placeholder wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 pm
cheese_breath wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:43 pm To support someone, quote the post and reply +1
I hate that.
-(-1)
Nowizard

Re: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Post by Nowizard »

Another approach is to send a PM to the poster.

Tim
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

One problem I have with "Like" is that it alone is meaningless except to the poster, the only one who knows what he/she means by "like." Not even recipients of a "like" can be certain why someone likes what they wrote. It's also possible that the "like" poster misunderstood what he read and his reasons for liking are based on that misunderstanding. "Like" also can assume that others understsnd what it means and are in agreement with the poster when they may not be. "Like" is no substitute for a well thought out and expressed reply.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Eddiecaps1980 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:23 pm
ryuns wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:58 pm
Xanadu wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:Please no like button. I'm not 12.
I'm not 12 either.
So no one's 12 then. Good to see so much agreement here. This would be a good use for a like button--everyone could agree that they're not 12.
Really like this comment
+1 :D
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
jmw

Post by jmw »

+1

Sorry.... but get with the times. It's 2021.

The arguments against "like" or "+/- 1" don't make sense at all. You're basically telling readers we're dumb for liking/disliking something. That's quite frankly pretty insulting. Have some faith in the readership and the readership is perfectly capable of ignoring +/- ratings. I like sorting megathreads by +/- ratings to save time and get maximum quality. I can't read everything in every thread.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

Unread post by Fallible » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:00 pm

One problem I have with "Like" is that it alone is meaningless except to the poster, the only one who knows what he/she means by "like." Not even recipients of a "like" can be certain why someone likes what they wrote. It's also possible that the "like" poster misunderstood what he read and his reasons for liking are based on that misunderstanding. "Like" also can assume that others understand what it means and are in agreement with the poster when they may not be. "Like" is no substitute for a well thought out and expressed reply.
Great post, Fallible. Captures the essence perfectly. If one has something pertinent to add to a particular message thread; or has a question, then take the time to say/ask it. A "drive by" poster doing a quick hit won't add anything to the thread.

It may be the 21st century; but good manners aren't out of style completely yet.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

jmw wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:06 pm +1

The arguments against "like" or "+/- 1" don't make sense at all. You're basically telling readers we're dumb for liking/disliking something. That's quite frankly pretty insulting. Have some faith in the readership and the readership is perfectly capable of ignoring +/- ratings. I like sorting megathreads by +/- ratings to save time and get maximum quality. I can't read everything in every thread.
As noted above by LadyGeek, the forum owners have stated that this is not a feature they wish implemented; see this post from forum owner Alex Frakt.
Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm It's not going to happen here. I participate in many forums that allow different forms of voting and there are two issues that can not be overcome. The first is that these things are too easily gamed. It's quite common for certain posters or topics to get automatic up or downvotes, regardless of the quality of a particular post. Worse, it also changes the character of the conversation as posters start pandering for up-votes or avoiding posting after a downvote. For most posters, this happens subconsciously, but it absolutely does happen.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

pennstater2005 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:23 pm Please no like button. I'm not 12.
Great post!

TNWoods
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Please do NOT add a "like" button. Better yet, delete this thread.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

jmw wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:06 pmSorry.... but get with the times. It's 2021.
Thankfully /r/Bogleheads has all the reddit features, and is growing all the time (up to 37k subscribers).
Elric

Post by Elric »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:26 pm

As noted above by LadyGeek, the forum owners have stated that this is not a feature they wish implemented; see this post from forum owner Alex Frakt.
Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm It's not going to happen here. I participate in many forums that allow different forms of voting and there are two issues that can not be overcome. The first is that these things are too easily gamed. It's quite common for certain posters or topics to get automatic up or downvotes, regardless of the quality of a particular post. Worse, it also changes the character of the conversation as posters start pandering for up-votes or avoiding posting after a downvote. For most posters, this happens subconsciously, but it absolutely does happen.
+1 on original post. I fully understand the rights of the owners to do whatever they please. But it's no longer 2013. Lots of things have changed. Maybe some day the folks running this forum may change their mind on this issue. For me personally, I find Bogleheads the SECOND most useful forum on the internet. The FIRST by a huge margin, despite some faults, is Stack Overflow. And, horror of horrors, it has an extremely useful up and down voting system.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
Elric

Post by Elric »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:37 pm
jmw wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:06 pmSorry.... but get with the times. It's 2021.
Thankfully /r/Bogleheads has all the reddit features, and is growing all the time (up to 37k subscribers).
Thanks! I didn't know that subreddit existed.
"No man is free who must work for a living." (Illya Kuryakin)
BarbBrooklyn

Re: What the forum is missing... [ability to upvote posts]

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

+1
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
RJC

Post by RJC »

Please no "like" button...
RyeBourbon

Post by RyeBourbon »

Fallible wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:00 pm One problem I have with "Like" is that it alone is meaningless except to the poster, the only one who knows what he/she means by "like." Not even recipients of a "like" can be certain why someone likes what they wrote. It's also possible that the "like" poster misunderstood what he read and his reasons for liking are based on that misunderstanding. "Like" also can assume that others understsnd what it means and are in agreement with the poster when they may not be. "Like" is no substitute for a well thought out and expressed reply.
+1
Retired June 2023. AA = 55/35/10
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Xanadu wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:57 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:Please no like button. I'm not 12.
I'm not 12 either.
+1
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

I really want a Big Comfy Couch
Yes, No, I don’t know button

The first social media site with that would get my business
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
aktx97

Post by aktx97 »

BogleBook! :moneybag
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

sixtyforty wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:52 am Please do NOT add a "like" button. Better yet, delete this thread.
Agreed. Add a "delete" or "answered & lock it" button accessible only to OP. Perhaps that could end some of the never-ending 1-on-1 conversations.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

........ the forum owners have stated that this is not a feature they wish implemented; see this post from forum owner Alex Frakt.
Alex Frakt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm It's not going to happen here. I participate in many forums that allow different forms of voting and there are two issues that can not be overcome.
The first is that these things are too easily gamed. It's quite common for certain posters or topics to get automatic up or downvotes, regardless of the quality of a particular post.
Worse, it also changes the character of the conversation as posters start pandering for up-votes or avoiding posting after a downvote. For most posters, this happens subconsciously, but it absolutely does happen.
A perfect definitive answer and final judgement on "liking" vs "shunning".
Posts should remain 100% on topic, actionable, and "focused on the OP"' to benefit the OP, and the larger masses as well.

"Not Liking" implies "shunning". . there shall be no "shunning". :shock:
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

BroIceCream wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 pm
sixtyforty wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:52 am Please do NOT add a "like" button. Better yet, delete this thread.
Agreed. Add a "delete" or "answered & lock it" button accessible only to OP. Perhaps that could end some of the never-ending 1-on-1 conversations.
These are already functions available to moderators. As stated in forum policy, "If you feel that someone has attacked you or otherwise violated the policies of this forum, do not respond in kind. Instead, please click the report button on the offending post. This is the quickest method to notify the site moderators."
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Elric wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:26 pm

+1 on original post. I fully understand the rights of the owners to do whatever they please. But it's no longer 2013. Lots of things have changed. Maybe some day the folks running this forum may change their mind on this issue. For me personally, I find Bogleheads the SECOND most useful forum on the internet. The FIRST by a huge margin, despite some faults, is Stack Overflow. And, horror of horrors, it has an extremely useful up and down voting system.
I totally agree with Alex. While there are definitely positives for having a like functionality, IMHO the negatives greatly outweigh the positives. It tends to drive people towards common and conformative(??) thinking but also is a reflection of popularity. I participate in a political sub forum elsewhere and recently I saw one poster of persuasion A post something and got several likes, and another poster of the minority persuasions get dislikes 3 posts later for saying almost the same thing.

At its extreme on FB (where I hardly ever go ) it drives attention seeking and superficial behavior. One the best Black Mirror episodes (although also painful) is “Nosedive”.
lucha

Post by lucha »

What I'd really like to see is an upvote system for funniest posts or funniest replies... or we nominate posts for how hard we laughed and there's some central place that links to all of them :)
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

lucha wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:37 am What I'd really like to see is an upvote system for funniest posts or funniest replies... or we nominate posts for how hard we laughed and there's some central place that links to all of them :)
I don't particularly associate a financial forum with comedy, but if you're really wanting to do this, you could PM the moderators for permission to start a "Best of Bogleheads" style thread in the Local Chapters/Community forum.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

There's no need - the moderators read these threads. :wink:

Let's stay focused on the primary focus of this forum - investing and personal finance. We have a few "best of" related threads in the US Local Chapters/Community forum:

- Best Threads on Bogleheads, which covers "intriguing, informational or entertaining"

- [favorite] Boglehead quotes

Feel free to add to those discussions.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
lucha

Post by lucha »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:40 pm There's no need - the moderators read these threads. :wink:

Let's stay focused on the primary focus of this forum - investing and personal finance. We have a few "best of" related threads in the US Local Chapters/Community forum:

- Best Threads on Bogleheads, which covers "intriguing, informational or entertaining"

- [favorite] Boglehead quotes

Feel free to add to those discussions.
Ah so it already exists :oops: I could've USED THE SEARCH BAR. Thanks mod! :)
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Look at what comments get the most “likes” on Reddit and see if you still think that’s a good idea. Its great if you want sucide by terrible puns. Otherwise please mods, never do this!
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Tortoise2030

Post by Tortoise2030 »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:37 pm
Thanks! 175k members now
VTI

Post by VTI »

I know this is an old message, but I disagree with this.

When you sort by ratings on Reddit, you're getting maximum popularity, not quality. Typically, that means you're getting:
  • Messages that adhere to groupthink and don't challenge people
  • Short, pithy, easy-to-read jokes
Also available as an Admiral™ Shares mutual fund.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Bogleheads has a lot of registered users. Of those users, the people that post the most seem to be on the older side. The older demographic probably cares the least about the websites user interface than anyone. What happens when these posters are no longer around? I guess we will see but who will be left will be people who grew up with the internet. These people not only grew up with feature rich websites, they like those features. Bogleheads has banned polls, it is a pain to upload images, it is a pain to upload a simple avatar due to sizing, there is no like button, there is no dislike button, limited emoji's, no GIFS, topics constantly being banned (that are popular with young people mind you), extremely heavy moderator intervention in threads. There is some great content on Bogleheads, but I don't think Bogleheads is doing itself any favors in setting itself up for the long term
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Ramjet wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:15 pm Bogleheads has a lot of registered users. Of those users, the people that post the most seem to be on the older side. The older demographic probably cares the least about the websites user interface than anyone. What happens when these posters are no longer around? I guess we will see but who will be left will be people who grew up with the internet. These people not only grew up with feature rich websites, they like those features. Bogleheads has banned polls, it is a pain to upload images, it is a pain to upload a simple avatar due to sizing, there is no like button, there is no dislike button, limited emoji's, no GIFS, topics constantly being banned (that are popular with young people mind you), extremely heavy moderator intervention in threads. There is some great content on Bogleheads, but I don't think Bogleheads is doing itself any favors in setting itself up for the long term
:thumbsdown
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Corvidae

Post by Corvidae »

Ramjet wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:15 pm
These people not only grew up with feature rich websites, they like those features.
I grew up with feature-rich websites. I don't come here for features. I come here for information, to learn, and to interact and maybe provide some advice. I'd take a smaller community of thoughtful contributors over the cesspool of noise that dominates the rest of the internet any day. Hopefully the owners and moderators hold the line. Just one anecdote...
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Ramjet wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:15 pm Bogleheads has a lot of registered users. Of those users, the people that post the most seem to be on the older side. The older demographic probably cares the least about the websites user interface than anyone. What happens when these posters are no longer around? I guess we will see but who will be left will be people who grew up with the internet. These people not only grew up with feature rich websites, they like those features. Bogleheads has banned polls, it is a pain to upload images, it is a pain to upload a simple avatar due to sizing, there is no like button, there is no dislike button, limited emoji's, no GIFS, topics constantly being banned (that are popular with young people mind you), extremely heavy moderator intervention in threads. There is some great content on Bogleheads, but I don't think Bogleheads is doing itself any favors in setting itself up for the long term
Dislike
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I recall when polls were an option!😂

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Corvidae wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:25 pm
Ramjet wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:15 pm
These people not only grew up with feature rich websites, they like those features.
I grew up with feature-rich websites. I don't come here for features. I come here for information, to learn, and to interact and maybe provide some advice. I'd take a smaller community of thoughtful contributors over the cesspool of noise that dominates the rest of the internet any day. Hopefully the owners and moderators hold the line. Just one anecdote...
increasingly it seems like some of the feature-rich web sites break down with my Brave browser - so many of them are running scripts and videos that it seems to gag; so I often move along to something else. I don't need to see a picture of Jerome Powell in an article about the FED; I know what he looks like and, frankly, don't really care.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Ageist much? Gimme a break.

Somehow we will carry on without conforming to social media norms.

Cheers
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

While I understand the sentiment, I hope new people realize why the forum is simple and maintainable. There are no advertisements or user data selling. Its daily visitors is very high for a free, no-add site. The burden is onerous on site owners and moderators. Yet it is maintained and a lot of people get advise on a daily basis. The primary goal and mission of this site continues. Even if we were to have a stylish website, there is no grantee we can attract more than current people. What we preach is plain vanilla compared to sites/schemes that talk about 20%+ returns. Some wise folk will realize early, while others after burning a few savings. Some may never reach the conclusion of fellow bogleheads. As I age, I realized quality triumphs quantity.
Last edited by ray.james on Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

JoeRetire wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm
+1

:wink:
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

David Jay wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:57 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:23 pm
+1

:wink:
Personally, I don't like all the gamification of so many sites.
Does that make me old? Get off my lawn!
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
fisher0815

Post by fisher0815 »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:45 pm I don't think that button exists.
1+
marcus213

Post by marcus213 »

I also want to say "good lord, NO" to the idea of adding a 'like' button here on Bogleheads. The introduction of likes instantly changes many people's motivation in posting, skewing them to word their posts in favor of getting the most 'likes' or otherwise gamifying their post, wording it in such a way that people feel compelled to read beyond its stated subject. It clouds the information and adds noise.

I come here precisely because this site is so bare bones and to-the-point, well-moderated and generally all about quality over quantity. I'm glad some folks find it difficult to add images, that we don't have polls all over the place and all that. Long may it continue, and I'm gonna go put my money where my mouth is and make a donation.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Worrying about what the Bogleheads Nation looks like in 30 or 50 years is not high on my list of daily activities.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Maybe in the future, people will humble their egos, or maybe have a social backlash to the psychologically manipulative aspects of "like" buttons.

https://www.amazon.com/Irresistible-Add ... 1594206643

https://philip.greenspun.com/blog/2017/ ... ke-button/

We really don't need a world of people trying to emulate the narcissistic personality traits that does seem to suit those who succeed in media.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
maxim81

Post by maxim81 »

The users on this site are on the older, older side. Likes, tags, anything not there since the invent of forums will likely be frowned on.

Come to reddit /bogleheads :)
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

gkaplan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:13 pm
Similar to Facebook, why not add a "like" button feature to posters comments? I often see posts that I want to express my "likeness" for, but don't want to quote the whole post just to say "great post!". Just a thought.
Just use part of the quote and use ellipses for the missing test.

(Count me as one not wanting a "like" button. This is an investing forum, not a social forum.)
+1
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

ray.james wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:50 pm
While I understand the sentiment, I hope new people realize why the forum is simple and maintainable. There are no advertisements or user data selling. Its daily visitors is very high for a free, no-add site. The burden is onerous on site owners and moderators. Yet it is maintained and a lot of people get advise on a daily basis. The primary goal and mission of this site continues. Even if we were to have a stylish website, there is no grantee we can attract more than current people. What we preach is plain vanilla compared to sites/schemes that talk about 20%+ returns. Some wise folk will realize early, while others after burning a few savings. Some may never reach the conclusion of fellow bogleheads. As I age, I realized quality triumphs quantity.
Agree with you. Just responding to remind everyone that people can use the "Amazon" button which provides a small referral fee to the Bogleheads' forum for purchases made via this route. It would have been more timely if I had posted this message prior to Amazon Days.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

ray.james, nice post about the forum's strengths being based on simplicity and maintainability. Ultimately, of course, its greatest strength is Jack Bogle.

Ramjet, where is the fact-producing research that leads you to conclude there is an "older demographic"? Without such facts, your premise is based, in your words, on what "seems" to be and what that demographic "probably" cares about.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Fallible wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:53 pm
ray.james, nice post about the forum's strengths being based on simplicity and maintainability. Ultimately, of course, its greatest strength is Jack Bogle.

Ramjet, where is the fact-producing research that leads you to conclude there is an "older demographic"? Without such facts, your premise is based, in your words, on what "seems" to be and what that demographic "probably" cares about.
Impossible without re-enabling the poll feature lol
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Stinky wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:28 am
Worrying about what the Bogleheads Nation looks like in 30 or 50 years is not high on my list of daily activities.
+1.