Hiding Previous Posts

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
DTalos

Hiding Previous Posts

Post by DTalos »

Is there a way for a member to hide previous posts? Often, posters will research what you have posted before and if it's similar, copy/paste that previous discussion link to your current thread and falsely assume you are discussing the same situation or company.
Silk McCue

Re: Hiding Previous Posts

Post by Silk McCue »

There is no way to hide previous posts. Incorrect information gets shared from various sources including responses found in prior threads. Fortunately that misinformation or misapplication can and often is corrected by another member.

Hiding prior valid responses would diminish the historical benefit of those threads from which many of us learn when researching topics before or rather than starting a new thread.

Cheers
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

You can edit/delete your own posts but you can't completely remove a post if someone has quoted it in their own comment.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

DTalos wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:30 pm Is there a way for a member to hide previous posts? Often, posters will research what you have posted before and if it's similar, copy/paste that previous discussion link to your current thread and falsely assume you are discussing the same situation or company.
One's posts are there for all to see forever.
Thus, maintain integrity, etc, etc, etc.

As for errors, assumptions and fact checking and all that. It's human nature, so move on as you can.

Not everyone will research a member's past post history.
For myself, never had any interest nor see a reason to.
But, can't speak for others.

Perhaps PM a moderator to see if there is a way, or to start all over again for whatever reasons.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

DTalos wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:30 pm Is there a way for a member to hide previous posts? Often, posters will research what you have posted before and if it's similar, copy/paste that previous discussion link to your current thread and falsely assume you are discussing the same situation or company.
IF someone posts something you posted previously and makes an assumption that you are referring to X, then just correct it in a post under theirs.

There is all sorts of confusion or errors that get posted, and then correxted or otherwise commented on. No big deal.
Don't worry about it.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

To be brutally honest, I like to check on previous posts if a poster - for whatever reason - appears to be needlessly acerbic on a specific thread to see if I should give him/her the benefit of the doubt.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:59 pm
IF someone posts something you posted previously and makes an assumption that you are referring to X, then just correct it in a post under theirs.

There is all sorts of confusion or errors that get posted, and then correxted or otherwise commented on. No big deal.
Don't worry about it.

RM
Well it's a little creepy when posters play "private investigator" or internet sleuth and then copy/paste a post you wrote about a similar company or situation and then implicitly assume you are referring to the same company.
federal dinosaur

Post by federal dinosaur »

Too much "anonymity" sometimes can hide a lack of integrity and candor. Just one of the reasons I appreciate this forum.

fd
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:54 pm For myself, never had any interest nor see a reason to.
There's actually one really good reason I know of that not many would think of, and that is when dealing with immigration procedures. For better or worse, agencies like USCIS have a lot of leeway to reject immigrants based on things that would otherwise be protected for US citizens and residents, such as political affiliation, ethical and moral stances, etc. The degree to which they exercise such authority varies by administration, as it is common for the current POTUS to either relax or tighten immigration checks within the bounds of the law, according to their platform and voter demands.

When my wife immigrated from abroad several years ago, I did a lot of research and found numerous stories about spousal immigrant visas getting rejected because one or both of the spouses posted controversial things about gender roles, minority populations, etc. As much as I'm sure some of these people crossed a line of decency, it's not like they broke laws or did anything that would keep them from being married to an otherwise equivalent US-based spouse. When I read those stories, I decided to delete all of my social media accounts just in case. I have actually done it multiple times for follow-up procedures, such as applying for my wife's unconditional green card some time after she arrived.

I do wish more sites like Bogleheads would provide easy ways to delete post history. It's not that I think I'm likely to put my wife's immigration status in jeopardy because of something I said about some other Boglehead's retirement plan 5 years ago, but I'd rather not take the risk or have the option to hide that withheld from me. I suppose I could just never post online, but I don't think having to isolate oneself from society in order to live with one's spouse is really the optimal solution, as simple as it sounds.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

DTalos wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:09 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:59 pm

Don't worry about it.

RM
Well it's a little creepy when posters play "private investigator" or internet sleuth and then copy/paste a post you wrote about a similar company or situation and then implicitly assume you are referring to the same company.
In a case like that, it's easy enough simply to post something like, "Thanks for your help, but unfortunately this is a different [company/situation/etc.]." And if relevant, mention what is different so others are responding to your current situation.
There's nothing creepy. Others are probably trying to help. It can be surprising how often someone omits some really useful information, something that really can help inform the discussion.

Now, if they were trying to figure out who you are in real life, and then camping outside your house, then, Yup, definitely creepy. :shock:
Also, pretty darned unlikely!

RM
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

There was one poster who wanted to keep anonymity about the country they wanted to move to, and had posted another thread about a high yield bond in that country. I suspect that, if you reuse user names between fora, that could allow you to be linked to your real persona. Everyone's level of "opsec" is different and if you need to delete a message (or all messages), you can do so individually. It detracts from the information being shared here, though.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

dboeger1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:16 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:54 pm For myself, never had any interest nor see a reason to.
There's actually one really good reason I know of that not many would think of, and that is when dealing with immigration procedures. For better or worse, agencies like USCIS have a lot of leeway to reject immigrants based on things that would otherwise be protected for US citizens and residents, such as political affiliation, ethical and moral stances, etc. The degree to which they exercise such authority varies by administration, as it is common for the current POTUS to either relax or tighten immigration checks within the bounds of the law, according to their platform and voter demands.

When my wife immigrated from abroad several years ago, I did a lot of research and found numerous stories about spousal immigrant visas getting rejected because one or both of the spouses posted controversial things about gender roles, minority populations, etc. As much as I'm sure some of these people crossed a line of decency, it's not like they broke laws or did anything that would keep them from being married to an otherwise equivalent US-based spouse. When I read those stories, I decided to delete all of my social media accounts just in case. I have actually done it multiple times for follow-up procedures, such as applying for my wife's unconditional green card some time after she arrived.

I do wish more sites like Bogleheads would provide easy ways to delete post history. It's not that I think I'm likely to put my wife's immigration status in jeopardy because of something I said about some other Boglehead's retirement plan 5 years ago, but I'd rather not take the risk or have the option to hide that withheld from me. I suppose I could just never post online, but I don't think having to isolate oneself from society in order to live with one's spouse is really the optimal solution, as simple as it sounds.
Yes this is very true.
There are some countries where one must be careful to use "safe words" and never "unsafe words" in a variety of media from forums to email to so forth.

So, a middle path is best.
All things in moderation. . .including moderation.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

You can delete your post within a certain timeframe.

Or you can go in and edit your post. Some people delete everything and write “deleted.” You may even be able to ask a moderator to delete your post.

This is all anonymous anyway, right?

To err is human. To forgive, divine. Who said that again? 😅

(It’s very freeing to realize that in most instances nobody cares, even about you.)
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

calwatch wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:19 pm There was one poster who wanted to keep anonymity about the country they wanted to move to, and had posted another thread about a high yield bond in that country. I suspect that, if you reuse user names between fora, that could allow you to be linked to your real persona. Everyone's level of "opsec" is different and if you need to delete a message (or all messages), you can do so individually. It detracts from the information being shared here, though.
Yes.
One could delete a post content individually "one by one", but editing it to only read "duplicate" or "deleted" or some other word.

But, if one had over 25,000 posts like "abuss" or a "bazillion" like "livesoft", it would be arduous indeed.

celia

Post by celia »

DTalos wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:09 pm Well it's a little creepy when posters play "private investigator" or internet sleuth and then copy/paste a post you wrote about a similar company or situation and then implicitly assume you are referring to the same company.
For you, it might be “creepy”, but for other posters, their past posts may provide relevant details that are now being left out in the new posts. If those details have changed, just say so. These “researchers” can then give you better answers/choices than others who just read your more generic new thread.

If you feel your privacy is being invaded, click on the exclamation point (when you are signed on) for the relevant post. In the comment box, tell the moderator what you think the issue is, and they can help you resolve it.

You can also present the situation as your relative’s or friend’s. But if it is unusual enough (eg, “when I lived in Antartica”) that your “brother’s” situation sounds familiar, some sharp eyes here might recognize it and compare the two.

As always, never give enough info to identify yourself. Assume your neighbor is also reading Bogleheads.org.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

... Assume your neighbor is also reading Bogleheads.org.
👋 Hi Sara !
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JoMoney wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:53 pm
... Assume your neighbor is also reading Bogleheads.org.
I know a couple of people who read the forum a bit. Need to be quieter here. Ssssshhhhh.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Sometimes it’s as simple as I remember a person posting the same, or a closely related question a few weeks or months ago, and I want to see what answer they were given back then before I respond.

If it’s a different situation, just say that and move on.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

I don't see the problem being solved. I don't see the issue with people looking at what you previously said. If you hold wildly inconsistent positions and someone calls you on it, well, OK. Chance to explain why you feel this situation is different.

There are ways to post in a way that isn't associated with your main account if something is *really* sensitive. For example, if you ask a moderator for permission, they may let you create a secondary account to do that. But it is forbidden without advanced permission.
Last edited by Da5id on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I have written thousands of posts, edited many, but I have never felt a compelling reason to hide a previous post.

It is important to stand behind what we say which is why I use my real name.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "One of our most important values is candor--tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, with no strings attached, and let the chips fall where they may."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

I try to include relevant background when I post, but if someone found relevant information from my prior posts, I'd be grateful.

If someone posts three separate messages alleging their postman, UPS carrier, and meter reader are trying to steal their parrot, that indicates the problem is likely not with any of these services.

We each have an anonymous identity in the Bogleheads community, and our history of posts is our reputation.

Marylander1
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Exactly. Post history is what readers rely on for finding helpful information.

Also bear in mind that your posts will appear in a Google search. Google has a v-e-r-y long memory. Removing content from posts here can usually be found in Google's cache or internet archive sites like archive.org.

As long as you don't post information that can be personally traced to you, you'll be fine.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:17 am ^^^ Exactly. Post history is what readers rely on for finding helpful information.

Also bear in mind that your posts will appear in a Google search. Google has a v-e-r-y long memory. Removing content from posts here can usually be found in Google's cache or internet archive sites like archive.org.

As long as you don't post information that can be personally traced to you, you'll be fine.
Some users pre-judge and like to falsely play "gotcha" by bringing up post history.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

DTalos wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:15 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:17 am ^^^ Exactly. Post history is what readers rely on for finding helpful information.

Some users pre-judge and like to falsely play "gotcha" by bringing up post history.
They can only play "gotcha" if there's a valid "gotcha" there.... maybe like asking the same question multiple times (possibly changing the wording a little), apparently ignoring the responses from the previous threads.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

DTalos wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:15 pm Some users pre-judge and like to falsely play "gotcha" by bringing up post history.
If it is repeatedly happening from the same user then wouldn't that fall under the board's Rule 2a and you should report their post and let the moderators handle it.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:18 pm

They can only play "gotcha" if there's a valid "gotcha" there.... maybe like asking the same question multiple times (possibly changing the wording a little), apparently ignoring the responses from the previous threads.

All those are invalid "gotchas." Someone could have a question about insurance, but have policies with 5 different companies.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:27 am
DTalos wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:15 pm Some users pre-judge and like to falsely play "gotcha" by bringing up post history.
If it is repeatedly happening from the same user then wouldn't that fall under the board's Rule 2a and you should report their post and let the moderators handle it.

I agree with you and have done that.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

DTalos wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:01 pm

All those are invalid "gotchas." Someone could have a question about insurance, but have policies with 5 different companies.
The way to avoid what you call a "gotcha" in that situation is to be upfront, something like:
"I've already asked about X and Y for some of my insurance policies. But now I have a question/problem about insurance with a different insurer (A), and also for a different purpose (Z). Does anyone have any information about the specifics of this?"

That way, it's pretty unlikely that someone would reply with something like, "AHA!!! We GOTCHA! You asked about insurance before!"
:happy

And I doubt you'd need to be so specific.

Keep in mind that anyone who might have said "Gotcha" is probably VERY unlikely to be looking for "a gotcha". They may be trying to find out if you had mentioned which state you are in, or perhaps if you are a business owner or mentioned something else that might help them get a better idea of how they can help.
Now, IF they then find that you've got 10 previous queries about insurance, and especially if they don't seem all that different, then someone might ask about that. And even then, it may NOT be a "gotcha". They may be trying to figure out what is different now such that the old discussions don't apply.

Could you give an example of some replies that you feel were "gotchas"? Maybe others would interpret if differently.
Don't forget... on the Internet, no one can see a twinkle in one's eye or a smile on one's face or hear some laughter or warmth in a voice, etc.

Is it possible you are sensing "gotcha" when that hasn't been what was intended?

NOTE: That smiley face above was intended as a smile, not a smirk. I feel like I should to add that, so it isn't misunderstood.

RM
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

DTalos wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:01 pm

All??
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.