When is the Best Time to Make a Post - High Visibility

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
snowboarder

When is the Best Time to Make a Post - High Visibility

Post by snowboarder »

Hi Y'all,
What have you found is the best day of the week & time of day for an initial post to get good visibility?

I am about to make my 1st major post in Bogleheads format + a lot of extra info.
The post is ready to go I just have to hit 'submit'.

Thanks,
Snow Boarder
AnnetteLouisan

Re: When is the Best Time to Make a Post - High Visibility

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Fellow newbie here. It’s really a content issue rather than time of day. Post in the right place, observe the format rules, really think about your post title and make it catchy and comprehensive. Pare down your post for easier reading. Avoid banned topics like crypto, relationships, health/medical, politics and Covid. Ask specific questions clearly. Mods will help with the title - you can even run your post by them in advance if you are unsure. A good, thought provoking post will get a lot of attention. And you can always edit it!

Assume high intelligence of the readership and be humble and thankful. This truly is the conclave of Solons and we want to be respectful of the opportunities offered here that we could never access in a million years otherwise. Even WITH access most folks cannot or will not discuss these topics openly face to face.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

snowboarder wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:37 am Hi Y'all,
What have you found is the best day of the week & time of day for an initial post to get good visibility?

I am about to make my 1st major post in Bogleheads format + a lot of extra info.

Thanks,
Snow Boarder
Things that ensure the best responses to your post, to fit what you need.
Title: be specific. IE: portfolio review request. (no need to get "cutesey" or witty. Be Pacific.
Follow the guidelines and format: forum portfolio review format (by the book).
Please please: Don't embellish. No narratives or stories. Just data in a list format.
Post in the early mourning hours (EST). Some senior portfolio reviewers are early birders and need naps later in the day.
Monitor your post. Don't go silent. Follow up on each response with a thank you or further questions.
Engage, engage.
Each post on your thread drives it to the top of the reply list.
If for some reason, you have no replies, it might be just bad timing, you can bump your own thread, just post a "bump" to it with discretion. Not too often.
Fell free to PM the senior portfolio reviewers or whoever seems to be knowledgeable in your area in question. IE: law, elder care, Real Estate, Business, Toilet Leaks, Roof leaks, $50,000 watches, Honda oil filter locations.
Easy on the "outside links" to more data. Put your data in your post. Don't make it difficult for others to parse info.
If a picture would really help, then post a picture.
Ask specific questions that beg for specific answers that are concrete and actionable and substantive.
Many of the senior "helpfuls" do not go to work at regular hours or don't work. They are retired. So, it doesn't matter what day you post.

PM me as you wish.
j :D

standard dis laimer: zillions of paths and opinonions on zillions of things from zillions of people. This is just one.
Contradictions and disagreements and "buts" feel good.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

Saturday mid morning gives people more time over the weekend to see it. Two weekend days. But Sunday is a good time too.

Posting during the workday will limit those who work from seeing but also responding.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Any day the stock market drops by more than 2.5%.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

If you feel that your post didn't get enough visibility (got lost in the deluge) you can always bump up the thread.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Gotta use a catchy title:

"7 portfolio questions that everyone must answer (#5 will shock you!)"
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

snowboarder wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:37 am What have you found is the best day of the week & time of day for an initial post to get good visibility?

Day/time is far, far less important than an attention-grabbing title and good content.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

zaboomafoozarg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:43 am Gotta use a catchy title:

This person knows! :sharebeer
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

For an eBay auction, the best time to have it end is 6:30 PST/9:30 EST on a Sunday. I think selling prices are 11% higher then.

I have to think that would be an ideal time to post your question to the group.
Being wrong compounds forever.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

LOL. Nice.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Thanks,
Snow Boarder
Snow Boarder:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

In my opinion, the best way to get informed replies is to use our recommended format--then post it:

ASKING PORTFOLIO QUESTIONS

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn every day, but especially from the experience of others. It’s cheaper.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Yefuy.Goje

Post by Yefuy.Goje »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:46 am Fellow newbie here. It’s really a content issue rather than time of day. Post in the right place, observe the format rules, really think about your post title and make it catchy and comprehensive. Pare down your post for easier reading. Avoid banned topics like crypto, relationships, health/medical, politics and Covid. Ask specific questions clearly. Mods will help with the title - you can even run your post by them in advance if you are unsure. A good, thought provoking post will get a lot of attention. And you can always edit it!

Assume high intelligence of the readership and be humble and thankful. This truly is the conclave of Solons and we want to be respectful of the opportunities offered here that we could never access in a million years otherwise. Even WITH access most folks cannot or will not discuss these topics openly face to face.
If it is a long post, make it easy to read. Break it by subtopics and bulletin points. Assume people are going to glance through it to get the overall point, rather than reading paragraphs after paragraphs.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:50 am

Thanks,
Snow Boarder
Things that ensure the best responses to your post, to fit what you need.
Title: be specific. IE: portfolio review request. (no need to get "cutesey" or witty. Be Pacific.
Follow the guidelines and format: forum portfolio review format (by the book).
Please please: Don't embellish. No narratives or stories. Just data in a list format.
Post in the early mourning hours (EST). Some senior portfolio reviewers are early birders and need naps later in the day.
Monitor your post. Don't go silent. Follow up on each response with a thank you or further questions.
Engage, engage.
Each post on your thread drives it to the top of the reply list.
If for some reason, you have no replies, it might be just bad timing, you can bump your own thread, just post a "bump" to it with discretion. Not too often.
Fell free to PM the senior portfolio reviewers or whoever seems to be knowledgeable in your area in question. IE: law, elder care, Real Estate, Business, Toilet Leaks, Roof leaks, $50,000 watches, Honda oil filter locations.
Easy on the "outside links" to more data. Put your data in your post. Don't make it difficult for others to parse info.
If a picture would really help, then post a picture.
Ask specific questions that beg for specific answers that are concrete and actionable and substantive.
Many of the senior "helpfuls" do not go to work at regular hours or don't work. They are retired. So, it doesn't matter what day you post.

PM me as you wish.
j :D
Welcome to BH, snowboarder!

I agree with all of the above except for # 4.
Yes, do respond and let the others who post know that you are reading and processing/thinking/etc.
Don't be one of those who, when the thread goes to the third page or a few weeks, someone writes, "Original poster has not been back at all..."

But please don't be one of those who responds to EVERY post individually with a "thank you". Maybe that's just me, but reading a stream of posts such as
"UserName1, thank you!"
"UserName2, thank you!"
"UserNameX, thank you!"
... is a bit annoying.

It's quite different to "thanks to all" or something like "UserName1, I hadn't thought about how <whatever> might affect this" or such.

Now to your specific question, the SUBJECT HEADER is far more important than the time/day you make your first post.
Once there is even one response posted... the "timing" is off and running and mostly out of your control.
You can respond and get it to the top again, but don't "bump" too often. Give others a chance to notice your post, and perhaps think about it. Or maybe notice other replies and then realize what they want to contribute, etc.

Yes, be SPECIFIC.
Instead of asking, "Critique my porfolio", phrase it, for example, as "Portfolio for new investor without pension plan".
That way, it's more likely that those who actually could contribute helpfully will read that initial post in the first place.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Want more :shock: on your post? Add that you're considering taking a HELOC to buy Rivian Stock and go on a $75K trip without your spouse. :D
ApeAttack

Post by ApeAttack »

This is a bigger issue in reddit, where threads start falling after a while regardless of the number of upvotes it accumulates. Here, the threads shoot back to the top whenever someone adds something new.
May all your index funds gain +0.5% today.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Thanks,
Snow Boarder
Welcome to the forum!

When is the best time to ask a question? No better time than now!

Fire away!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
snowboarder

Post by snowboarder »

Thanks to everyone for the comments.
The reason I am going to post is: I am starting a 529 plan and my AA seemed to risky for a short term thing.

This morning I spent some time writing down catchy topics - I thought this was nerdy but maybe not. :happy
SC 529 Asset Allocation Question in BH Format - Am I being too Risky?
Does this sound "catchy" ???

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Crazy I put 20 hours into writing the post. Tried to prune it down to just what is needed but it is still long.
I did put it in the BH question format + added info about the 529 plan Tax benefits / pie charts / performance tables
Formatted with bullet and images (performance tables etc) with no links to websites

I put in so much time the question I had kept changing because I was finding an answer and it allowed me to ask a deeper question.
I even put in excel images of my possible asset allocation that I find to risky

There is a lot of Information (but needed for quality answers) that I concerned people would skip over it saying it was too long.
I am hoping there are some people out there who really want something to "sink their teeth into"

Snowboarder
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Short and to the point and specific will result in targeted answers.
If any of the forum heavyweights steps in with a “ mic drop” quality post suggestion for you then the thread is done done.

Many questions are best answered in the context of a portfolio review because without that data, there has to be a lot of asssumptions and generalizations so it may not be quite as targettted.

Yes. If too long then some might look at a post as too muck work.

*post title: “529 allocation in portfolio context? What strategy going forward?”
Then in your post end with 3-5 goals you want to achieve in a list of questions.IE #1, #2, #3.

It’s not that complex.

Just a handful of Fritos is fine, not the whole bag.
J🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
dak

Post by dak »

Cant wait to see the post. 529s are not rocket science, and any attempt to make them so goes against the ethos of this board. Just pick an age based portfolio and be done with it.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:52 pm Short and to the point and specific will result in targeted answers.
If any of the forum heavyweights steps in (not me) with a “ mic drop” quality post suggestion for you then the thread is done done.
If I could offer one small correction:
Your response would be more accurate if you deleted the "(not me)". The truth is you are a forum heavyweight. You have cred around here.
fposte

Post by fposte »

snowboarder wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:44 pm Thanks to everyone for the comments.
The reason I am going to post is: I am starting a 529 plan and my AA seemed to risky for a short term thing.

This morning I spent some time writing down catchy topics - I thought this was nerdy but maybe not. :happy

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Crazy I put 20 hours into writing the post. Tried to prune it down to just what is needed but it is still long.
I did put it in the BH question format + added info about the 529 plan Tax benefits / pie charts / performance tables
Formatted with bullet and images (performance tables etc) with no links to websites

I put in so much time the question I had kept changing because I was finding an answer and it allowed me to ask a deeper question.

There is a lot of Information (but needed for quality answers) that I concerned people would skip over it saying it was too long.
I am hoping there are some people out there who really want something to "sink their teeth into"

Snowboarder
I'm with the people who think you're overthinking this, and that that may be the underlying issue and question. I don't think many people want to see your 592 plan's performance tables, and I'm betting you can get quality answers without them, even if they don't make you less anxious--useful allocation information and the solving of anxiety are two different things. Your base question might be "529 allocation for anxious investor?"
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

For me, I only respond to posts that I have a direct experience in and I never respond to posts asking about portfolio reviews and if people can afford x&y while making millions of dollars.
Topic Author
snowboarder

Post by snowboarder »

Sandtrap, dak, fposte and everyone.
All good / appreciated comments.
I am going to make your modifications and post tonight. :happy

Thank you,
Snowboarder
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

snowboarder wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:44 pm Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Snowboarder
We are all friends here so I’d do my best with your question and post it short and sweet

A target date fund may be perfect

“ done is better than perfect “

Somethings in life require being perfect ; posts here don’t ;)
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

The word "shock" of course proves the title is clickbait.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
riverant

Post by riverant »

deleted
Last edited by riverant on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Remember there are appropriate limits, per rules#section-2 of the Board rules (aka Forum Policies)
Forum Policies wrote:use meaningful titles on new topics
Be considerate of your fellow Bogleheads and don't resort to clickbait type subjects.

The best time to make a post is when you the post is ready and you have a question that needs an answer. The Bogleheads forum does have a high volume, but quality and thoughtfulness in a post generally results in others joining the discussion.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
MikeWarnick

Post by MikeWarnick »

Lol, this is the Boglehead version of karma farming.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Posting time doesn't matter. Clarity and succinct information do.

Title of your new topic. The title should address your main concern: Review of options for first job after graduation; Changing jobs, what new 401k options to use, what to do with old 401k; Review of options after selling business and planning to retire in FL (NY, CA,...),.... Your title should provide enough information to attract those familiar with your situation.

Body of your new topic. We need all of your financial information, including the stuff that you don't think matters (inheritance within a few years,...), in your OP (original post, original poster), in the requested format ("Asking Portfolio Questions") so we know where to look for your information.

With complete information in your OP, a synergy is created where the forum answers/options/ideas and your preferences quickly lead to your preferred solution. Then we can advise on how to implement your solution.

There is an unspoken rule that "...OP must care more for his investing success than anyone else". The OP demonstrates his caring by making it easy for the forum to help. This means the OP provides complete succinct information and questions in his OP.

Example. If your OP provides incomplete information and the forum must drag out the rest over multiple replies/pages, then synergy is lost and replaced by chaos. Why? Because anyone wanting to help must assemble your situation from your replies over multiple posts/pages. And no one is going to do that for very long---care more (expend more effort) for your investing success than you (demonstrate).

Idea. You've already assembled a following of those wanting to help you. So when you do post a new topic requesting a review, then post a link to it in this topic. The system will automatically notify your current followers that a new reply was received for this topic, and your link will point them to your new topic. So you see it doesn't matter when you post your topic.

The only thing that does matter is that we have your complete information in your new topic's OP. (Idea. Let your draft new-topic OP sit for a few days to review later with fresh eyes. Add the stuff you forgot to add.)

Link to your new topic. The link to your new topic is found by right-clicking, in your new OP, the square to the left of "by snowboarder", and selecting "Copy link address". That topic link is what you want to paste here, so we find you there.

Welcome.
Last edited by dratkinson on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

if you include words/phrases like "Ken Fisher", "Dave Ramsey", "Motley Fools", "SCV or TSM?" you're likely to get eyeballs.

If you include the phrase "Tax Loss Harvest" or "TLH" you'll definitely get a response from livesoft.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

OP got more play on this post than the post he is referencing.... :oops:
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum (administrative question).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
celia

Post by celia »

There is no ‘best’ day or time, because it also depends on what other posts are active at the same time. But I can tell you the ‘worst’ time to post is:
* during a ‘down’ market
* during a rapidly rising market
* soon after a national financial event, such as when a change in tax law has happened
* near the end-of-year since people are figuring out what gains/losses to take and year-end dividends happen, final RMDs are taken
* in January, people are trying to front-load their IRAs and ask when their tax forms will be ready
* tax season makes lots of tax threads here
* in the spring, we like to go outdoors and we leave town during the Summer
* we are too busy with a new school year in the fall
:oops: :oops: :oops: LOL

But THIS thread is getting lots of activity, because NOW is the best time. The sooner you post, the sooner you will get responses. Don’t take action until the thread dies down since some of the best thought-out responses take time to create and may offer a counter view to earlier posts. But if the post is about your portfolio, I agree with Taylor to follow the suggestions here since we are most comfortable with this layout:

ASKING PORTFOLIO QUESTIONS