What is meant by “intrinsic” when discussing “intrinsic value”

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
DJZ

What is meant by “intrinsic” when discussing “intrinsic value”

Post by DJZ »

Certain topics are banned from this forum because the value they have is not “intrinsic”. I’m interested to hear how we are defining “intrinsic”, and would ask when using that definition, do either of the following have intrinsic value?:

A) A worldwide, 24/7, internet network capable of communicating units of account securely between parties.

B) A worldwide, secure, 24/7, Turing-complete internet computer.

My point is that people sometimes fail to distinguish between the *network* (which has value, almost certainly intrinsic) with the unit of account (the value of which may not be intrinsic).

If these networks have intrinsic value I do think we should be able to discuss them. Certainly the brainiacs who are working on them are developing some amazing (intrinsically valuable!) uses for them.
firebirdparts

Re: What is meant by “intrinsic” when discussing “intrinsic value”

Post by firebirdparts »

I’m glad its banned.

Banned on Wall Street bets as well.

So you really should ask yourself why such different groups would like to not hear you. The reason is that it’s simply repetitive and uninteresting.
This time is the same
Topic Author
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

My point was not about interest levels or repetitiveness - people can choose to read or ignore any post. My point was about satisfying the “no intrinsic value” criterion for banning.

One could argue that tokens have no “intrinsic” value, but the networks underlying them certainly do. So I think we should be able to discuss them.
celia

Post by celia »

There are many reasons a TOPIC can be banned here. Being “intrinsic” still doesn’t make a topic suitable for this forum because we promote a certain philosophy that is incompatable with some topics. We are also family-friendly (ie, suitable for all ages to read) and have an emphasis on educating those who are new to “personal finance”.

I am not a spokesperson representing Bogleheads, but just someone trying to answer a question that was posed here.

By the way, would you like to know more about the Backdoor Roth process?

:beer :sharebeer :beer
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
mille424

Post by mille424 »

DJZ wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:40 am One could argue that tokens have no “intrinsic” value, but the networks underlying them certainly do. So I think we should be able to discuss them.
So create a post discussing the value of the underlying technologies. That isn't banned. Stop trolling.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

DJZ wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:08 am Certain topics are banned from this forum because the value they have is not “intrinsic”. I’m interested to hear how we are defining “intrinsic”, and would ask when using that definition, do either of the following have intrinsic value?:
Discussions about Forum Policies have to be held directly with moderators. There is a separate sub-board for that.

You are trying to talk about something without talking about it. That subterfuge will be seen through instantly.

There are lots of places on the internet to go and discuss that stuff. Don't abuse the hospitality of the moderators, who work very hard and are unpaid to boot.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Topic locked for moderator review.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum (policy question).

The definition of "intrinsic" (inherent) value is discussed by the site owner in New Forum Policy Prohibiting Discussions of Cryptocurrency, Market Manipulation Schemes, etc as Investing Strategies, which is a 'sticky' at the top of this forum.

The site owners define the Forum Policies and the moderators enforce them.

If anyone has any further comments, please PM a moderator (or me). See: Member Rights in a Dispute , 2nd paragraph.

The topic will remain locked.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.