Searching for Lost Contributors

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
willthrill81

Where did vineviz go?

Post by willthrill81 »

[Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

It's been more than three months since vineviz last posted and over a month since he was last active. Any clue on what may have happened?
The Sensible Steward
Luckywon

Re: Where did vineviz go?

Post by Luckywon »

willthrill81 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:44 am
It's been more than three months since vineviz last posted and over a month since he was last active. Any clue on what may have happened?
Well, sometimes even the most prolific and well respected members here will disappear for a while with no notice *cough* 😏

I do hope he's ok.
Last edited by Luckywon on Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Luckywon wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:47 am Well, sometimes even the most prolific and well respected members here will disappear for a while with no notice... 😏
Very true.
For any number of reasons; personal, forum dynamics, etc.

Perhaps, at some point for some/many, the "hassle factor" or " harassment factor" (kidding) does not match the rewards and gratification of helping and contributing.

"vineviz" has some of the most intelligent and cogent inputs on this forum. (also OP)
There are others, especially senior portfolio reviewers that are gone or not as active. IE: "ducky", etc.
j :D

dis laimer: zillions of paths, zillions of opinonions, about zillions of things and matters.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Maybe he went back to work at Ed Jones. Just kidding.
Angst

Post by Angst »

I've certainly appreciated his generous contribution of time for both composing and responding to posts and so forth. I imagine (hope!) he's just become busy with work or life and will resurface sometime soon. I do miss his posting and expertise.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

C'mon Will. We were asking the same thing about you a couple of weeks ago! (welcome back BTW)
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

I’d suggest sending him a nice private message and tell him that you miss him. Sometimes people like a kind message from someone telling them they’re being though about.
Being wrong compounds forever.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:53 am I’d suggest sending him a nice private message and tell him that you miss him. Sometimes people like a kind message from someone telling them they’re being though about.
A good idea, WT!
:wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

He disappeared a couple of years ago for a few months. Like then, I hope he'll be back. Learned a lot.

Cheers
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

McDougal wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:52 am(welcome back BTW)
Thanks!
The Sensible Steward
willthrill81

Re: Searching for Lost Contributors

Post by willthrill81 »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:56 pm geerhardusvos. Always enjoyed talking about SWR and EF.
Sadly, I believe that he was banned from the forum. I really enjoyed discussing many issues with him. :(
The Sensible Steward
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:08 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:56 pm geerhardusvos. Always enjoyed talking about SWR and EF.
Sadly, I believe that he was banned from the forum. I really enjoyed discussing many issues with him. :(
That's a bummer. I learned quite a bit from their aggressive AA, I'm looking to do something similar.
Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe »

Bogleheads,

I was about to start a new thread to ask about Vineviz. Then I found this one.

It's a real shame that he is not here anymore, along with Hedgefundie. I didn't always agree with them, but they sure forced my brain to look at seemingly old concepts from a new and interesting angle. Same with Grabiner, who is fortunately still here.

Anybody know if the thoughts of Vineviz can be found at other investing forums?

Thanks,
Winthorpe
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I wonder where TheTimeLord has gone. He left before and came back. So maybe he will return.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

FIREchief is missing too.
JPH

Post by JPH »

I miss OP. I enjoyed all his posts.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Post by 000 »

Winthorpe wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:12 pm Bogleheads,

It's a real shame that he is not here anymore, along with Hedgefundie. I didn't always agree with them, but they sure forced my brain to look at seemingly old concepts from a new and interesting angle. Same with Grabiner, who is fortunately still here.

Thanks,
Winthorpe
Have you tried a web search with search term vineviz?
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

GoldenFinch wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:23 pm I wonder where TheTimeLord has gone. He left before and came back. So maybe he will return.
Maybe vacationing on Gallifrey.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

placeholder wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:30 pm
GoldenFinch wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:23 pm I wonder where TheTimeLord has gone. He left before and came back. So maybe he will return.
Maybe vacationing on Gallifrey.
I’m thinking it’s something like that. I guess when he returns he will have some stories to tell.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Tony as "abuss368" is no longer as active, nearly mute (or muted), as before -- his vast well of knowledge and understanding of all things REIT and more, no longer.

Perhaps called away to sit in as a board member on David's ("dave55") global hedge fund or taking a cross Atlantic trip on a Gulf Stream jet.

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

When a very old post is revived, it is always interesting to wonder what happened to some very prolific posters.

Such is the way of social media, here today, gone tomorrow.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

000 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:30 pm

Thanks,
Winthorpe
Did you try: https://twitter.com/vineviz
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:40 pm Tony as "abuss368" is no longer as active, nearly mute (or muted), as before -- his vast well of knowledge and understanding of all things REIT and more, no longer.

Perhaps called away to sit in as a board member on David's ("dave55") global hedge fund or taking a cross Atlantic trip on a Gulf Stream jet.

Dave’s Gulfstream goes much to slow for me! I only travel by rocketship🚀

😂🤣
Tony
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:58 pm

Thanks,
Winthorpe
Looks like he's been quiet on Twitter, too.
Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:22 pm

Thanks,
Winthorpe
No. I have not begun to stalk search for him yet :happy .

Yesterday, I joined the rational reminder forum. It seems like a likely place for vineviz to show up. Otherwise, perhaps the reddit forums. If I find a spot where he is actively posting, I'll report back!

Winthorpe
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Winthorpe wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:29 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:22 pm

Thanks,
Winthorpe
No. I have not begun to stalk search for him yet :happy .

Yesterday, I joined the rational reminder forum. It seems like a likely place for vineviz to show up. Otherwise, perhaps the reddit forums. If I find a spot where he is actively posting, I'll report back!

Winthorpe
Thanks. I always wondered who Vineviz was. I suspected that he worked in the industry. Hope to see him here at Bogleheads again.
A fool and his money are good for business.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

nedsaid wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:57 pm
One Ping wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:38 pm Ditto Larry Swedroe.

I know a lot of people didn't like/agree with some of what he said, but I think his contributions were always well founded and stimulated conversation and alternative thinking ... which to my mind is always good, even if you don't agree in the end.
Yes I miss Larry too and I am pretty sure he won't be back but he still has fans here on the forum. I keep a thread going regarding his latest thoughts on Twitter.
Larry Swedroe still posts on AdvisorPerspectives.com [as recently as Oct 11, 2021].
https://www.advisorperspectives.com/art ... a-big-test

Larry also used to write articles for SeekingAlpha.com, but the most recent was Jul 14, 2021.
https://seekingalpha.com/author/larry-s ... r_articles
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

I think some of the more interesting financial ideas come from people who are smart but just different enough that they aren’t always welcomed by the relatively conservative BH community, both the participants and the organizers, and that can end poorly for them. I’ve seen this happen from time to time over the years.
RubyTuesday wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:20 pm And sscritic is sorely missed too.
Agreed.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

it's been about a month since galawdawg posted.

I really enjoyed his advice.

EDIT - I note this his Georgia Bulldogs football team is currently ranked #1. Maybe he’s busy watching Dawg football rather than posting on the Forum.
Last edited by Stinky on Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:11 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:40 pm Tony as "abuss368" is no longer as active, nearly mute (or muted), as before -- his vast well of knowledge and understanding of all things REIT and more, no longer.

😂🤣
Tony
Oh boy :oops:

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:06 am
Thanks. I always wondered who Vineviz was. I suspected that he worked in the industry. Hope to see him here at Bogleheads again.
Hi nedsaid -

Vineviz posts were educational and provided a different perspective related to portfolio construction.

Best.
Tony
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Dave55 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:44 am

😂🤣
Tony

Dave
I simply can’t contribute and post on the forum when I am in my rocketship orbiting earth! The internet connectivity is spotty.😂
🚀
Tony
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:59 am

😂🤣
Tony

Dave
I simply can’t contribute and post on the forum when I am in my rocketship orbiting earth! The internet connectivity is spotty.😂
🚀
Tony
Maybe call your friend Elon Musk so you can get hooked up with SpaceX's Starlink satellite network?
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:56 am
nedsaid wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:06 am
Hi nedsaid -

Vineviz posts were educational and provided a different perspective related to portfolio construction.

Best.
Tony
Vineviz is Vincent E. Vizachero, CFA. He is the Founder/CEO of Denouement Financial Planning. He has a Bachelors at the College of William and Mary and received his MBA from the University of Chicago. He was an Equity Analyst and Mutual Fund Manager at Van Kampen and Fidelity. I didn't realize all of this when I interacted with him on the forum, I did suspect he had background in the industry. I was right.

So there is a real person behind the Avatar.

In my case, I am a bot and exist only on the internet. :wink:
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

😂🤣
Tony

Dave
I am lost in orbit! Beam me up Scottie, I mean Dave!🚀

😂
Tony

Post by 000 »

We're still missing a lot of these great contributors. :(
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

000 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:25 pm We're still missing a lot of these great contributors. :(
Have we seen "retired@50" lately?

Post by 000 »

His last post was on Oct 24 (you do know how to check that?).
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

If I ever go a week without posting, call the fire brigades! I know I will be sorely missed.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

000 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:25 pm We're still missing a lot of these great contributors. :(
Indeed. It's been nearly two years since The Wizard has posted and 4 months since he was on the forum at all. I hope that he is well.
The Sensible Steward

Post by 000 »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:49 am
Indeed. It's been nearly two years since The Wizard has posted and 4 months since he was on the forum at all. I hope that he is well.
I would be curious to know the breakdown of reasons for becoming a lost contributor, but sadly we'll probably never know.

My guess is that the top three are taking a break and then just losing interest, ragequitting after a frustrating thread or moderation, and death.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Where’s livesoft ? Just kidding
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
luckyducky99

Post by luckyducky99 »

FWIW vineviz has been active on the rational reminder community. If you're missing him, pop over there :wink: :beer

Post by 000 »

luckyducky99 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:49 pm FWIW vineviz has been active on the rational reminder community. If you're missing him, pop over there :wink: :beer
I'm not sure how I feel about becoming a member of a site without even knowing what kind of content is there first. :?
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

It was too bad that Stemikger left after someone criticized him. He was a very frequent contributor.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:22 pm My guess is that the top three are taking a break and then just losing interest, ragequitting after a frustrating thread or moderation, and death.
Not like you could do a poll, sadly.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

000 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:54 pm
luckyducky99 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:49 pm FWIW vineviz has been active on the rational reminder community. If you're missing him, pop over there :wink: :beer
I'm not sure how I feel about becoming a member of a site without even knowing what kind of content is there first. :?
It’s like bogleheads, but more focus on factors, and a large Canadian audience rather than American
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Vineviz did log in recently but hasn't posted for a while. I do hope he comes back.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

GoldenFinch wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:24 pm It was too bad that Stemikger left after someone criticized him. He was a very frequent contributor.
Stemikger aka Steve used to send me private messages. He enjoyed simplicity and followed Jack Bogle’s recommendation of Vanguard Balanced Index fund.

I miss his thoughts.
Tony
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

abuss368 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:50 pm
GoldenFinch wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:24 pm It was too bad that Stemikger left after someone criticized him. He was a very frequent contributor.
Stemikger aka Steve used to send me private messages. He enjoyed simplicity and followed Jack Bogle’s recommendation of Vanguard Balanced Index fund.

I miss his thoughts.
Tony
I also enjoyed reading his posts.