I sent a PM last night and it is still in Outbox and not in Sent messages???

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
ljb

I sent a PM last night and it is still in Outbox and not in Sent messages???

Post by ljb »

I sent it last night and I can see it now in my Outbox where it says "Sent: Wed June 16, 11:26 pm". But it is still in Outbox and not in Sent.

Did it go through?

Thanks, Lisa
TomatoTomahto

Re: I sent a PM last night and it is still in Outbox and not in Sent messages???

Post by TomatoTomahto »

It will go to “Sent” when it is read by the recipient.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
makingmistakes

Re: I sent a PM last night and it is still in Outbox and not in Sent messages???

Post by makingmistakes »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:13 am It will go to “Sent” when it is read by the recipient.
I’m no expert, but I don’t recall that behavior. Interesting.

The only time I remember it not going to sent was when our mailbox limits were smaller and my mailbox would fill up and prevent emails sending until I cleared out space.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

The forum software will show your message in your Outbox until the recipient opens and reads it. Then it will show up in Sent.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=3162293
pm's in the "outbox" are messages that have been sent but not read by the recipient. Once the recipient has read the message it will move the the senders "sent box" This allows you to keep track which messages you have sent have been read or not and also allows you to edit or delete the ones which have not yet been read
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
ljb

Post by ljb »

Thank you, Lisa
ruud

Post by ruud »

makingmistakes wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:36 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:13 am It will go to “Sent” when it is read by the recipient.
I’m no expert, but I don’t recall that behavior. Interesting.

The only time I remember it not going to sent was when our mailbox limits were smaller and my mailbox would fill up and prevent emails sending until I cleared out space.
The original poster is talking about a private message using the bogleheads forum software, not email in general.
shorty313

Post by shorty313 »

Thank you for solving this mystery for me! I’ve had one in outbox since winter and had no idea why.
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:48 pm The forum software will show your message in your Outbox until the recipient opens and reads it. Then it will show up in Sent.
That information used to be in our FAQ. It's not there anymore. What happened? Can it be added back?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're right. It must have dropped out during one of our software upgrades. That's on me, I'll resurrect it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The FAQ is back. FAQ --> Private Messaging --> Why is my private message stuck in the Outbox?
Sent messages will appear in either the "Outbox" or the "Sent Messages" folder. As long as the recipient(s) have not yet read the message, it will stay in the "Outbox". As soon as someone reads the message it will be archived to the "Sent messages" folder. If the administrator allows it, you can edit messages after sending them as long as they are in the "Outbox" and the recipients have not yet read them.
I used the wording supplied in the phpBB User Guide (what we're using).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.