Help with non-equity portfolio?

For residents of the United Arab Emirates.
Topic Author
MO2040

Help with non-equity portfolio?

Post by MO2040 »

Hi,

I am new here but familiar with the Bogleheads philosophy and have a portfolio set up on Interactive Brokers. I contribute to VWRA and IGLA and make monthly contributions.

I have to fund something specific in 5 years and then in 10 years from now. I understand that VWRA/IGLA need a longer investment horizon and are not appropriate for these goals. What should I look at for the 5 and 10 year gold that is Irish domiciled and available on IB? I will research them once I hear some suggestions here as I am not familiar with money market or T-Bills or TIPS or whatever it is Bogleheads invest for short term.
DJN

Re: Help with non-equity portfolio?

Post by DJN »

Hi,
have a look at the Bogleheads section on Wiki for non-US investors on cash equivalents, see here:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Cash_eq ... _investors
There is also a piece on bonds including shorter term bonds and similar here:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bond_ba ... _investors
The content might help you to choose something with a lower risk level, although you could also just invest the money in AGGH and that would be ok too.
DJN
Yah shure. | Have a look at the Bogleheads Wiki in the first instance.
ICH

Post by ICH »

What currency will you need the money in?
If AED, I believe ADCB still offers 5year term deposits.
If USD, a bond ETF with a duration smaller than your targets will be ok.
If EUR, don't bother. Due to negative central bank rates, you're not going to find any return with no risk. Might as well keep it in the bank earning 0.
Topic Author
MO2040

Post by MO2040 »

Thanks. I decided to keep it in CHF as I worry about other currencies losing their purchasing power.