Basic tax question [EU citizen, resident of UAE]

For residents of the United Arab Emirates.
Topic Author
jinsramen

Basic tax question [EU citizen, resident of UAE]

Post by jinsramen »

If I am investing in some (index) funds that are domiciled in country A, through a broker that is domiciled in country B, while I am a resident of country C (UAE, no income tax) and a citizen of country D (in the EU), where should I look for to figure out the tax details? None of the above countries are the US.

For instance, if I want to hold the non-USA domiciled CONSERVATIVE retirement portfolio (40% VWRD + 20% VDCP + 20% VDTY + 15% ITPS + 5% CASH), and I live in country C (UAE, no income tax) while the citizen of country D (in the EU), how should I go about selecting the broker? Does the country where they are located matter at all? I can look up the upfront cost (fees of buying) for various brokers, but I have no idea about the tax situation. Does the broker matter from this perspective?

Thanks
livesoft

Re: Basic tax question

Post by livesoft »

If you want more eyeballs to read your thread, then I think you should probably have a different title:

Complicated tax question: 4 non-US countries are in the mix!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Basic tax question [EU citizen, resident of UAE]

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (taxes).

jinsramen, Welcome! I retitled your thread to attract our non-US tax experts.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
DJN

Post by DJN »

Invest via a broker such as Interactive B as an expat. You sound like you are tax resident of UAE. Where there is 0% personal income tax, (by the way in the UAE you are slowly being taxed via VAT and tourist taxes, etc. the party will gradually be over). UAE has tax treaties with a lot of countries, even though it is (has been) blacklisted by a lot of countries.
Read the tax section here on Bogleheads for Europe which gives some indication of the three tax levels on your investments. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/EU_investing
Aother question for you is what to do before you return home, basically you will need to understand how your "home" country treats income earned abroad, if it treats it as already taxed then you should check what sort of investments in the future will be taxed in your home tax residency and then you should invest appropriately, i.e. do you need to know what your yearly dividend payments are as against your capital gains if that is required. This subject can be very complicated or very simple for Europeans, prepare to research here and elsewhere at length. There is also a good read by Andrew Hallam which follows some of the main principles from here and is aimed at expats. https://andrewhallam.com/category/livin ... ng-abroad/
Yah shure. | Have a look at the Bogleheads Wiki in the first instance.
BeBH65

Post by BeBH65 »

This wiki page might be a good starting point for you: Non-US_investor's_guide_to_navigating_US_tax_traps
BeBH65. (only an investment enthusiast, not a financial adviser, perform your due diligence). | Have a look at https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Outline_of_Non-US_domiciles
TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet »

See also: this thread.