Advice for UK citizen investing as an expat living in Dubai

For residents of the United Arab Emirates.
Topic Author
Benpalm84

Advice for UK citizen investing as an expat living in Dubai

Post by Benpalm84 »

Hi,

- My wife and I are residents of Dubai, UAE -- there are no taxes here.
- I'm a UK citizen, my wife is an Indian citizen.

So from what I understand I'm a "NRA investor" and based on some advice I'm planning on investing my savings as such:

80% | VWRD | Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF
20% | IUAG | iShares US Aggregate Bond UCITS ETF

This is safe from a US taxation perspective, based on my research. What I'm trying to find out about is if there are any UK related tax implications here. Since I'm not currently residing in UK, I think there are no tax implications. But I'm having a difficult time finding definitive information. I'm trying to find tax experts too, but wanted to see what other bogleheads have to say :)

Thanks.
TedSwippet

Re: Advice for UK citizen investing as an expat living in Dubai

Post by TedSwippet »

Benpalm84 wrote:What I'm trying to find out about is if there are any UK related tax implications here. Since I'm not currently residing in UK, I think there are no tax implications.
Right. No UK tax issues as long as you meet the UK definition of non-residence.

For best insulation from the UK and most future flexibility if you move country in future, you should probably hold your stock through someone like Interactive Brokers. (It's unlikely any UK based platform would want to deal with you anyway, since most are now shy of anything with any taint of 'offshore' or 'foreign'.)
Topic Author
Benpalm84

Re: Advice for UK citizen investing as an expat living in Dubai

Post by Benpalm84 »

TedSwippet wrote:
Benpalm84 wrote:What I'm trying to find out about is if there are any UK related tax implications here. Since I'm not currently residing in UK, I think there are no tax implications.
Right. No UK tax issues as long as you meet the UK definition of non-residence.

For best insulation from the UK and most future flexibility if you move country in future, you should probably hold your stock through someone like Interactive Brokers. (It's unlikely any UK based platform would want to deal with you anyway, since most are now shy of anything with any taint of 'offshore' or 'foreign'.)
Thanks for the clarification, Ted.