Boglehead investing in Spain -- a forum thread

For residents of Spain.
Topic Author
HurdyGurdy

Boglehead investing in Spain -- a forum thread

Post by HurdyGurdy »

Some people in Spain, from the Rankia forum, have opened a thread about Boglehead investing.

Interesting views and problems.

http://www.rankia.com/foros/fondos-inve ... indexacion

Edit:

There's a lot of discussion about what to use (mutual funds or ETFs) and how to get them (what broker). People wish to use Vanguard ETFs, but there seems to be serious tax hurdles. I wonder if Vanguard (Vanguard UK?) could sell their funds directly, at cost.
Last edited by HurdyGurdy on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Boglehead investing in Spain -- a forum thread

Post by LadyGeek »

Thank you. Those needing a translation can put the URL into Google Translate

We already have a wiki page: EU investing Look at the bottom of the page for other regions - Canada, Japan, Taiwan, UK.

If there is enough interest, we could create one for Spain - "Investing in Spain".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:20 pm If there is enough interest, we could create one for Spain - "Investing in Spain".
I'd love to help out with that. I don't know anything about Spain yet but I am going to have to figure it out because I'll probably live there in the future.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Since you might be moving there, let's get started.

If you want to be a wiki editor and create the article yourself, PM me and I'll set you up with an account.

If you know how to edit Wikipedia, you can edit the wiki (we use the same software). Otherwise, we have a private wiki editor's forum which will provide you with all the help you need.

Alternatively, post the content in this thread. Myself or another editor will edit the wiki for you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:56 pm Since you might be moving there, let's get started.

If you want to be a wiki editor and create the article yourself, PM me and I'll set you up with an account.
Thanks for getting me set up, LadyGeek. I've started a draft article at https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/User:Ra ... g_in_Spain and will gradually build it up over time as I do more research.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

HI:

Basic clerical edits:

1. I created the category for the future independent page (Category:Spain) and categorized this new category in the main category: International domiciles.
2. I uploaded an image of the Spanish national flag and created a transclusion template for the page, which I inserted into the page.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

HurdyGurdy wrote: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 pm Some people in Spain, from the Rankia forum, have opened a thread about Boglehead investing.

Interesting views and problems.

http://www.rankia.com/foros/fondos-inve ... indexacion

Edit:

There's a lot of discussion about what to use (mutual funds or ETFs) and how to get them (what broker). People wish to use Vanguard ETFs, but there seems to be serious tax hurdles. I wonder if Vanguard (Vanguard UK?) could sell their funds directly, at cost.
I doubt VG UK would sell them funds directly. One possibility might be through Luxembourg?

One has Gibraltar-- but that might have issues on the Spanish side (and it is Gibraltar that is usually front and centre on FCA warnings re fraudulent financial operations, cold calling into the UK i.e. boiler rooms).

With Brexit it is very unclear what the status of any of this will be which would be another reason to not invest via VG UK.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

Vanguard lists its global branches here https://global.vanguard.com/portal/site/home. Among those listed, one is Spain with a webpage here https://global.vanguard.com/portal/site ... /documents. A cursory look suggests Vanguard directs Spanish investors to their Irish funds.
Regards, | | Guy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I have removed the "draft" status and placed the article into the main wiki area.

See: Investing from Spain

While there is more work to do, the information is factual.* This allows readers to use the existing information immediately. Randomizer can continue to build up the page over time as he researches.

All members are welcome to contribute to this article - post your suggestions here. Wiki editors can edit the page directly.

* Concurred with randomizer via PM.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

We now have a sister Spanish forum: Bogleheads® España - Inversión Pasiva, Indexada y Periódica

I encourage our Spanish experts to join the forum. The link can be found on the wiki home page (in the section "Can't find what you're looking for?").

I have revised the wiki page to link to this forum: Investing from Spain

Perhaps we can collaborate with our new friends to develop the wiki page further? The Bogleheads wiki must remain in English.

Disclaimer: I am new a member of Bogleheads® España, which is in the Spanish language. (Soy aprendiendo español...)
Elena

Post by Elena »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:02 pm We now have a sister Spanish forum: Bogleheads® España - Inversión Pasiva, Indexada y Periódica

I encourage our Spanish experts to join the forum. The link can be found on the wiki home page (in the section "Can't find what you're looking for?").

I have revised the wiki page to link to this forum: Investing from Spain

Perhaps we can collaborate with our new friends to develop the wiki page further? The Bogleheads wiki must remain in English.

Disclaimer: I am new a member of Bogleheads® España, which is in the Spanish language. (Soy aprendiendo español...)
Can I help? I am from Spain, dual citizenship, bilingual, based in the US and mesmerized by how different the investment and banking climate is in the EU. All my investments are in the US, but I have been in Rankia for a long time, just because I like to see what goes on in Spain.
¿Estás aprendiendo español?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

¡Sí, certament! Aprecio la oferta de ayuda. (Yes, certainly. I appreciate the offer of help.)

I am proposing to develop a draft wiki page in Spanish, perhaps as "Inversiónes de España" (?) with the intention to collaborate with our new friends at Bogleheads® España.

Would you like to be a wiki editor? Or, you can post content here and a wiki editor can enter the content for you.

Elena has posted in the forum here: Bienvenida y presentaciones - Bogleheads® España
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I have started a topic here: Un proyecto de colaboración - Bogleheads.org wiki - Bogleheads® España (A collaboration project - Bogleheads.org wiki)

I'll create a draft page tomorrow.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Sure beats reading that 9-zillion page thread, if people join in.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

There is much interest: Un proyecto de colaboración - Bogleheads.org wiki - Bogleheads® España :happy

My attempt to create a Spanish language wiki page (Bogleheads.org) was premature. I will stop development of this page. There is much to think about.

:arrow: The first step is to collaborate with Bogleheads.es and to plan a path forward.

When there is news of progress, I will post in this thread.
DKBO

Post by DKBO »

Gracias LadyGeek for your continuous support and help to Bogleheads en Español and me personally (ClarkBo).

Feel free to reach me all here or there for anything I may help.

Saludos!!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

In the Bogleheads® España forum, ClarkBo has compiled a list of "Bogleheads Portfolios". See: Recomendación de carteras Bogleheads

The wiki has been updated: Investing from Spain (Box at the top of the article)

I have provided some suggestions: Sugerencias para carteras Bogleheads - Bogleheads® España

Are there any additional portfolio suggestions?

Please review this suggestion thread, as there is a question regarding the addition of RV Global Small-Caps to the portfolios. I do not know the answer. Can an expert please review?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Bogleheads.es wiki is now available for public editing. Please join the forum and become an editor.

The announcement: [Anuncio] La Wiki Bogleheads® España abre sus puertas al público

My forum thread (here): [Spain] Bogleheads España Wiki is Launched