I need support to stay the course!

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Fireishere

I need support to stay the course!

Post by Fireishere »

I have pretty simple portfolio: 75% VWCE, 15% VAGF and 5% cash. I find myself thinking should I start tilting to SCV or should I buy gold, bitcoin, silver, REIT or whatever. Or should I buy TIPS and dump my nominal bonds. Cash is trash, of course. I’m afraid that when I start to make small changes I cannot stop it. I have history of terrible “I will beat the index”-investing. I probably should stop reading financial news! Can you tell me are you staying the course with your simple portfolios?
smectym

Re: I need support to stay the course!

Post by smectym »

Fireishere wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:15 am I have pretty simple portfolio: 75% VWCE, 15% VAGF and 5% cash. I find myself thinking should I start tilting to SCV or should I buy gold, bitcoin, silver, REIT or whatever. Or should I buy TIPS and dump my nominal bonds. Cash is trash, of course. I’m afraid that when I start to make small changes I cannot stop it. I have history of terrible “I will beat the index”-investing. I probably should stop reading financial news! Can you tell me are you staying the course with your simple portfolios?
An interesting post. One important point to keep in mind is that the current market environment is not that challenging for the "stay the course" imperative, with equities at or near all-time highs. We haven't yet seen the next serious bear market that may rattle even dedicated bogleheads. So if you're currently stressing, even in this relatively benign environment for investing, perhaps consider reducing the volatility of your portfolio.

While the assertion "cash is trash, of course" is commonplace, in point of fact cash is not trash. Unfortunately, today it has the disadvantage of yielding essentially nothing. True. However, it retains the advantage of not going down when the rest of the portfolio may be going down. Therefore, the cash component of the portfolio reduces volatility. That can be a stabilizer. That stability factor can have value, and helps us keep our heads when all about us are losing theirs.

Bonds too, despite their abysmal nominal rates, can aid the portfolio in a stress situation, because when equities plunge, bond prices tend to rise, offsetting the pain. I wouldn't be so quick to write off bonds, though there are those on this forum who do argue for jettisoning bonds.

I disagree that investors are better off not reading the financial news (though agree that staring at the CNBC screen for hours at a time is a horrible idea). More information is generally better than less information; the goal should be to screen out the garbage and click-bait, and access higher-level analysis.

We are "staying the course" with a (far too) conservative portfolio heavily weighted toward VWIAX. One of the features about that fund we like is that it's so d-mn BORING, and on many days barely moves at all. Moving to a lower-volatility portfolio may be part of the answer if you're experiencing investor angst.

While modest allocations to alternative investments such as gold or bitcoin shouldn't be ruled out, a massive lurch into such highly volatile themes can't be recommended and may lead to a subpar outcome.

Good luck and best success in investing.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Have you written out an IPS including your goals and rationale for your AA?
Bernmaster

Post by Bernmaster »

I find the Bogleheads forum quite helpful in staying the course. Not following the financial news also definitely helps.

Taylor Larimore's posts about topics like staying the course or simplicity are also very helpful.

viewtopic.php?t=164192

Finally, I wrote my IPS on a little card. On the back, I printed a picture of John Bogle that says "Stay the course".
"The unsophisticated investor who is realistic about his shortcomings is likely to obtain better results than the knowledgeable professional who is blind to even a single weakness” ― Warren Buffett
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

Smectym, thank you for your response. You really gave me a lot of food for thoughts. I’m 37 years old, my portfolio is about 50X my expenses and my plan is to retire when I’m 55. I have no debt. New contributions depends how my business success so I’m assuming that I contribute only about 1%/year. I think I’m confused because on the other hand I have enough and on the other hand I have 15-20 years to retirement. My withdrawal rate will be quite small (1,5-2%/year). So I already have at least 12,5 years in safe investments. Every other day I want more bonds and every other day I want more stocks. Maybe that means I’m at the right AA?😄

Good luck and success for you too!
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

sailaway wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:17 am Have you written out an IPS including your goals and rationale for your AA?
Yes, I have. It says “follow the asset allocation of Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Fund (VFORX) by using VWCE and VAGF. Have also some cash. When asset allocation hits 50-50, hold for life. Don’t tilt. Save. Don’t peek. Set and forget it.” I’ve given a lot of time to decide my IPS. Now I have a problem to deeply accept it. 😒
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

Bernmaster wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:56 am I find the Bogleheads forum quite helpful in staying the course. Not following the financial news also definitely helps.

Taylor Larimore's posts about topics like staying the course or simplicity are also very helpful.

viewtopic.php?t=164192

Finally, I wrote my IPS on a little card. On the back, I printed a picture of John Bogle that says "Stay the course".
Yes, I’m so grateful that I found the Bogleheads. I just have to teach the boglehead inside me more 😂
invest4

Post by invest4 »

smectym wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:58 am An interesting post. One important point to keep in mind is that the current market environment is not that challenging for the "stay the course" imperative, with equities at or near all-time highs. We haven't yet seen the next serious bear market that may rattle even dedicated bogleheads. So if you're currently stressing, even in this relatively benign environment for investing, perhaps consider reducing the volatility of your portfolio.

While the assertion "cash is trash, of course" is commonplace, in point of fact cash is not trash. Unfortunately, today it has the disadvantage of yielding essentially nothing. True. However, it retains the advantage of not going down when the rest of the portfolio may be going down. Therefore, the cash component of the portfolio reduces volatility. That can be a stabilizer. That stability factor can have value, and helps us keep our heads when all about us are losing theirs.

Bonds too, despite their abysmal nominal rates, can aid the portfolio in a stress situation, because when equities plunge, bond prices tend to rise, offsetting the pain. I wouldn't be so quick to write off bonds, though there are those on this forum who do argue for jettisoning bonds.

I disagree that investors are better off not reading the financial news (though agree that staring at the CNBC screen for hours at a time is a horrible idea). More information is generally better than less information; the goal should be to screen out the garbage and click-bait, and access higher-level analysis.

We are "staying the course" with a (far too) conservative portfolio heavily weighted toward VWIAX. One of the features about that fund we like is that it's so d-mn BORING, and on many days barely moves at all. Moving to a lower-volatility portfolio may be part of the answer if you're experiencing investor angst.

While modest allocations to alternative investments such as gold or bitcoin shouldn't be ruled out, a massive lurch into such highly volatile themes can't be recommended and may lead to a subpar outcome.

+1
Fireishere wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:15 am I’m afraid that when I start to make small changes I cannot stop it. I have history of terrible “I will beat the index”-investing.
This is the most telling...you already know the answer. I also tinkered in my 30s with things like SCV, etc. I have personally found the additional complexity not to be worth it and am happier for it.

Best wishes.
markjk

Post by markjk »

Fireishere wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:06 am Smectym, thank you for your response. You really gave me a lot of food for thoughts. I’m 37 years old, my portfolio is about 50X my expenses and my plan is to retire when I’m 55. I have no debt. New contributions depends how my business success so I’m assuming that I contribute only about 1%/year. I think I’m confused because on the other hand I have enough and on the other hand I have 15-20 years to retirement. My withdrawal rate will be quite small (1,5-2%/year). So I already have at least 12,5 years in safe investments. Every other day I want more bonds and every other day I want more stocks. Maybe that means I’m at the right AA?😄

Just consider your success thus far. At 37 years old and 50X expenses, something is working. You are saving well and your investments must be holding up. Use the success as evidence the approach works. If something is working, why change it? That is one way to look at it.

This is the usual human mentality at work. We all think we should be "doing" something more because with most things in life, we do need to do more to be successful. With investing, it's the opposite. If you are good with market returns (which beat the vast majority of active management), you really don't have to do much. In fact, the less you do, the better. Don't let that "I should be doing more" thinking creep in and force you into bad decisions.

I would say (maybe I shouldn't, but I will) you sound like you are in a fantastic position for your age. If you wanted to start playing around a bit with different asset classes or individual stocks/options/etc., I think you've earned it. But, keep it only a portion and stay disciplined. Maybe 5% of your portfolio. Keep the vast majority invested in your core philosophy (remember, it's working!) and maybe scratch the "I can do better" itch with a fraction like 5%. Make them separate accounts even so one doesn't creep into the other.
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

invest4 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:20 am
smectym wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:58 am An interesting post. One important point to keep in mind is that the current market environment is not that challenging for the "stay the course" imperative, with equities at or near all-time highs. We haven't yet seen the next serious bear market that may rattle even dedicated bogleheads. So if you're currently stressing, even in this relatively benign environment for investing, perhaps consider reducing the volatility of your portfolio.

+1
Fireishere wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:15 am I’m afraid that when I start to make small changes I cannot stop it. I have history of terrible “I will beat the index”-investing.
This is the most telling...you already know the answer. I also tinkered in my 30s with things like SCV, etc. I have personally found the additional complexity not to be worth it and am happier for it.

Best wishes.
You’re right. Keep it simple, stupid. I think that’s my new slogan.
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

markjk wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:50 am
Fireishere wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:06 am Smectym, thank you for your response. You really gave me a lot of food for thoughts. I’m 37 years old, my portfolio is about 50X my expenses and my plan is to retire when I’m 55. I have no debt. New contributions depends how my business success so I’m assuming that I contribute only about 1%/year. I think I’m confused because on the other hand I have enough and on the other hand I have 15-20 years to retirement. My withdrawal rate will be quite small (1,5-2%/year). So I already have at least 12,5 years in safe investments. Every other day I want more bonds and every other day I want more stocks. Maybe that means I’m at the right AA?😄

Just consider your success thus far. At 37 years old and 50X expenses, something is working. You are saving well and your investments must be holding up. Use the success as evidence the approach works. If something is working, why change it? That is one way to look at it.

This is the usual human mentality at work. We all think we should be "doing" something more because with most things in life, we do need to do more to be successful. With investing, it's the opposite. If you are good with market returns (which beat the vast majority of active management), you really don't have to do much. In fact, the less you do, the better. Don't let that "I should be doing more" thinking creep in and force you into bad decisions.

I would say (maybe I shouldn't, but I will) you sound like you are in a fantastic position for your age. If you wanted to start playing around a bit with different asset classes or individual stocks/options/etc., I think you've earned it. But, keep it only a portion and stay disciplined. Maybe 5% of your portfolio. Keep the vast majority invested in your core philosophy (remember, it's working!) and maybe scratch the "I can do better" itch with a fraction like 5%. Make them separate accounts even so one doesn't creep into the other.
Thank you for your kind words. I think I’m overthinking this whole thing. Sometimes it just feels too simple. I’m staying the course 😄
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

I’ve been reading a lot this site and have learned a great deal about passive investing. Sometimes mind starts to over complicate things and then the best thing to do is to hear others opinions. So thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. Now I’m going to sauna. That’s a place where thinking is totally forbidden 😁
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

you have my utmost support for you to stay the course!

you can lean on me anytime you need support to stay the course.

in answer to your question, i never have difficulty staying the course.

that's because I don't suffer from FOMO or YOLO, so I don't suffer from OH NO!

I also have read a lot of history of all sorts of bubbles, manias, etc., and I don't get swayed into things that might appear to be making my neighbors rich, because I know that unless they sell before these burst, they might not make money at all. Time will tell. It's hard to stay focused in moments of irrational exuberance, but that's what you must do. If you get swept up in the manias, it will end badly for you. Your post indicates it already has, so the question is why do you think this time (or asset) is different?

the other reason I know I can't know more than the market is because I can't find, but you still believe you:

It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
jg12345

Post by jg12345 »

I do not have any better answer other than the ones already noted.

I just want to say thanks for writing this and being open. I hope this post will encourage others (including me!) to seek help about trying to stay the course.
xxd091

Post by xxd091 »

Perhaps some more encouragement from a 75 year old -18 years into retirement -been and done it so far!
Used the same 3 funds for many years - global index trackers only
Asset Allocation has never changed cos made enough-like you though at a slightly later age
30/65/5- equities/bonds/cash
Allowed me to sleep at night/no stomach acid!
So many other exciting things to do if not having to constantly over think investing decisions
You could have a “play” portfolio of a few thousand to have fun with but leave the main body of your savings alone
Staying the course is so boring and counterintuitive but it is the more successful/lucrative option
Worked for me
xxd091
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Fireishere wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:06 am ...
Every other day I want more bonds and every other day I want more stocks. Maybe that means I’m at the right AA?😄 ...
I think it's a good sign, except for that "every other DAY," when maybe every other YEAR would be safer for you. If you are unable to feel certain about your allocation, that does not necessarily reflect a wrong course, but the human tendency to want certainty, especially in investing where there is no such thing as certainty (or in life, either). Bill Bernstein, top Boglehead pro and prolific author of some great investing books, has said, "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind."

What you need is what we all need: an allocation based on ability, personal risk tolerance, and need to take risk. Having come as close to that as possible, we then need discipline, emotional control, patience, and common sense to stay the course. Kept it simple, because the hard part of investing is the "not easy" part of the Warren Buffett quote: "Investing is simple, but not easy."
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

Update! I switched to 60% stocks (VWCE), 35% bonds (EUNA) and 5% cash today. I thought about it for a few weeks and I realised that despite I’m 15-20 years from retirement (I’m 37 years old) I don’t have the need to take more risk because my portfolio is about 50X.
jg12345

Post by jg12345 »

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
invest2bfree

Post by invest2bfree »

Fireishere wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:27 pm Update! I switched to 60% stocks (VWCE), 35% bonds (EUNA) and 5% cash today. I thought about it for a few weeks and I realised that despite I’m 15-20 years from retirement (I’m 37 years old) I don’t have the need to take more risk because my portfolio is about 50X.
Iam about 10 years older than you.

I have come to the same conclusion.

100% Equity is not going to affect me at all. I have 46x expenses saved up.

If we have another 2008, I have seen folks panic sell all the stocks right at the bottom.

Globally Diversified 60/40 is the way to go.

I would if you can do a 50 active and 50 passive.

Like 30% VT, 30% VHGEX and 40% bonds.
36% (IRA) - Individual LT Corporate Bonds , 33%(taxable) - schy, 33%(taxable) - SCHD Dividend Growth
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

I haven’t found any reasonable active funds equivalent to VHGEX or VWELX in Europe. Of course there are actively managed funds, but fees are astronomical so I will stay passive.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Well, largely uninformed, about 30 years ago my AA was 50/50. Today it is still ~50/50…now retired 10 years. Don’t over complicated things.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:26 am Well, largely uninformed, about 30 years ago my AA was 50/50. Today it is still ~50/50…now retired 10 years. Don’t over complicated things.
Your comment is motivating. Love how you stuck with things for so long.
er999

Post by er999 »

Fireishere wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:27 pm Update! I switched to 60% stocks (VWCE), 35% bonds (EUNA) and 5% cash today. I thought about it for a few weeks and I realised that despite I’m 15-20 years from retirement (I’m 37 years old) I don’t have the need to take more risk because my portfolio is about 50X.
If you a truly 50x expenses you should be set. If your portfolio just keeps up with inflation until you start withdrawing at 57 years old 50x expenses with 0 real return would last you 50 years and I doubt you’ll live to 107. I think it depends on how much your expenses are. If $120k, no problems as you already have a big buffer. If $40k maybe not so much (who knows if health insurance at 57 will cost $15k or $20k). 60% stocks should still give a good return regardless and isn’t too conservative.
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

I have calculated 50x expenses with 40k expenses. I live in Finland where we have a free healthcare so that shouldn’t be a problem. And I’m still accumulating my portfolio at least 50-100k/year so I came to the conclusion that 60/40 is the right AA considering my need, willingness and ability to take risk.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Fireishere wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:57 pm I have calculated 50x expenses with 40k expenses. I live in Finland where we have a free healthcare so that shouldn’t be a problem. And I’m still accumulating my portfolio at least 50-100k/year so I came to the conclusion that 60/40 is the right AA considering my need, willingness and ability to take risk.
Sounds fine. It's probably OK to be more aggressive but you gotta do what you feel comfortable.
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:26 am Well, largely uninformed, about 30 years ago my AA was 50/50. Today it is still ~50/50…now retired 10 years. Don’t over complicated things.
Thanks for posting. It’s truly motivating to hear that you’ve stayed the course for so long. Just curious, at what age did you move to that AA? 50/50 asset allocation, or 60/40, seems to be minority for accumulators nowadays. I’ve been thinking is it because of long bull market, low yields from bonds or something else?
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

sailaway wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:17 am Have you written out an IPS including your goals and rationale for your AA?
+1000 Investment policy statement

For me, taking the time to put my thoughts on paper and commit to a plan has been huge. Not that I was jumping in and out of strategies beforehand, but putting real thought into an IPS makes the noise recede.

Maybe write out an IPS and share with the group?
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Fireishere wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:37 pm
Thanks for posting. It’s truly motivating to hear that you’ve stayed the course for so long. Just curious, at what age did you move to that AA? 50/50 asset allocation, or 60/40, seems to be minority for accumulators nowadays. I’ve been thinking is it because of long bull market, low yields from bonds or something else?
I was in my late 30s, had just started investing and it seemed like a logical place to start.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Brit_Abroad

Post by Brit_Abroad »

Very interesting thread.

Sorry for the newbie question: What is IPS and AA?
TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet »

Brit_Abroad wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:14 am Sorry for the newbie question: What is IPS and AA?
Investment policy statement, and Asset Allocation. There a list of the most commonly used abbreviations here:

Abbreviations and Acronyms - Bogleheads
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

I’ve been still considering my situation. I’m thinking of going to 50/50 and holding that for the rest of my life. I’m still accumulating, I have (hopefully) enough already and I think my willingness to take risk has diminished. What do you think? Is that too conservative? I’m 37 years old and planning to retire at 55. I haven’t experienced any major decline (2020 was too quick to notice, because I was struggling with my business), but after reading countless posts here, I’m pretty sure that my risk tolerance is not very high.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

You already know this, but there are two likely outcomes with speculation and they both can cause grief: 1) the thing you bought outperforms and you will need to decide when to sell it before it starts underperforming. 2) the thing underperforms and you will kick yourself for not just buying more of the haystack when you had the chance.

In my experience, #1 actually feels worse than #2. Watching a stock climb and climb and feeling smart, only to watch it fall and fall and kick yourself for not selling or just buying the haystack to begin with. I have done this experiment enough times to know that I am best served by buying the haystack and staying the course.
Last edited by gonefishing01 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abc132

Post by abc132 »

I would consider keeping your current AA and adding only fixed income with new investments until you reach your retirement AA.

Trying to make a short term moves is what causes all the angst, when you can just adjust how you reach that final goal without any short term AA switches. Bump to 50/50 at retirement if you never get there through additions.
xxd091

Post by xxd091 »

I don’t think this is the time to make dramatic changes-it’s too,late-hang in there-unless the world comes to an end things will return to normal in time
You are experiencing your first stockmarket correction
This allows you to determine your ability to take risk going forward ie a conservative or adventurous investor
30/70 right through to 70/30 -equities/bond portfolios do produce similar outcomes over a long period
So chose where you want your Asset Allocation to be -30/70 is easier to live with than 70/30!
xxd09
I
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Fireishere wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:36 pm I’ve been still considering my situation. I’m thinking of going to 50/50 and holding that for the rest of my life. I’m still accumulating, I have (hopefully) enough already and I think my willingness to take risk has diminished. What do you think? Is that too conservative? I’m 37 years old and planning to retire at 55. I haven’t experienced any major decline (2020 was too quick to notice, because I was struggling with my business), but after reading countless posts here, I’m pretty sure that my risk tolerance is not very high.
If you are that risk averse then you should certainly be 50-50

The default recommendation is usually 60-40 if one does not know one's risk tolerance. At least until about age 50.

However 50-50 is also good.

People talk about a "correction" of 20% (more than 10%) like that's a strong test. It is not. It's when it gets over 30% (and it did in March-April 2020 I believe; certainly did in 2008-09 and 2000-03) that it starts to get psychologically interesting. Also when the whole thing is not done and dusted in 12 months. Been nearly 2 decades (!!) since we had a prolonged bear market (I think the average term of a bear market in the US post war is 18 months; hence the expression "Gored by a bear"-- bull markets usually last much longer).

You have to think about how you will feel if you are down 30%+ (or 15% if a 50-50 equity bond mix. Hopefully your annual return on bonds is just about 0 (or better) in a bear market).
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Fireishere wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:15 am I have pretty simple portfolio: 75% VWCE, 15% VAGF and 5% cash. I find myself thinking should I start tilting to SCV or should I buy gold, bitcoin, silver, REIT or whatever. Or should I buy TIPS and dump my nominal bonds. Cash is trash, of course. I’m afraid that when I start to make small changes I cannot stop it. I have history of terrible “I will beat the index”-investing. I probably should stop reading financial news! Can you tell me are you staying the course with your simple portfolios?
You need to shift your mentality. When stocks are down, it’s a bunch of short sighted investors who give into emotions are being liberated of money they probably had no business having in the first place (gained via luck? greed?). The money flows into the pockets of the patient investor whom follows their plan (IPS) and buys equities at these lower prices (via rebalancing or new money). The question is who you want to be.

I accumulate shares…. in the long term (years) — likely even medium term (months), they are worth to ME, at LEAST what the last ATH was. I could care less what the market thinks in the short term based on a bunch of fairytales and reading of tea leaves, which is how they are priced. This disconnect between pricing horizons is the secret to how buy and hold investors make their money.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I've been staying the course with US stocks, ex-US stocks, and US bonds. The specific mutual funds and ETFs have changed as I tax loss harvest, but the new funds are similar to the old ones, so I don't consider that to be a change in strategy.
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

Thanks for everyone for your wise words. I think that I will keep my 60/40 and add new money to bonds/cash and glide it down towards 50/50.
res

Post by res »

Hi @Fireishere, have you paid significant capital gain tax when you switched your AA to EUNA?
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

res wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:54 pm Hi @Fireishere, have you paid significant capital gain tax when you switched your AA to EUNA?
Capital gain tax is 30% for 30k profit and 34% for the part exceeding 30k in Finland.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
WestCoastPhan

Post by WestCoastPhan »

Valuethinker wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:23 am
Fireishere wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:36 pm
People talk about a "correction" of 20% (more than 10%) like that's a strong test. It is not. It's when it gets over 30% (and it did in March-April 2020 I believe; certainly did in 2008-09 and 2000-03) that it starts to get psychologically interesting. Also when the whole thing is not done and dusted in 12 months.
I have followed the "don't just do something, stand there" approach in all three of those time frames. I did . . . nothing. Have kept a 98% equities AA throughout.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I learned long ago, don't invest in something I don't understand. Thus, bitcoin* would fall into this category and while gold doesn't I can argue either side of the argument for having and not having it. If the portfolio is for financial security, does bitcoin fit into that?

Cash has role for its liquidity, bonds I migrated from a while back.

Maybe staying the course is as simple as tuning out the noise, assessing personal risk and goals. Perhaps just allocate a percentage, 5 for example, as "play money."

(Back in the '80's, as crazy as it seems, some of my coworkers were convinced cabbage patch dolls were a great investment. IMHO, bitcoin falls into that category, although a modern, hyped up version of it.)
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
res

Post by res »

Fireishere wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:30 pm
res wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:54 pm Hi @Fireishere, have you paid significant capital gain tax when you switched your AA to EUNA?
Capital gain tax is 30% for 30k profit and 34% for the part exceeding 30k in Finland.
I'm confused. How does losing one third of your profit justify your change? Is VAGF -> EUNA change really worth it to mess up your compounding?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:24 am I learned long ago, don't invest in something I don't understand. Thus, bitcoin* would fall into this category and while gold doesn't I can argue either side of the argument for having and not having it. If the portfolio is for financial security, does bitcoin fit into that?
As a reminder, cryptocurrency as an investment is off-topic. See: Greater Fool Investing Strategies
Eventually, one runs out of greater fools. - Burton Malkiel

Discussions of investment strategies based on securities or physical assets that have no underlying value or negative expected long term returns are prohibited. Examples include: cryptocurrencies; lottery tickets; tulip bulbs; Ponzi, pyramid, and multi-level marketing schemes; affinity frauds; and market manipulation schemes.
And this post by the site owner: New Forum Policy Prohibiting Discussions of Cryptocurrency, Market Manipulation Schemes, etc as Investing Strategies
Note - This policy is limited to discussions of investing strategies. Discussions of cryptocurrencies in other contexts is still acceptable, for example for money transfers or microtransactions or the current thread on crypto trades and tax loss harvesting.

10/19/21 Edit: What about BITO, the new futures ETF?

This still falls under our prohibition. Our ban on crypto discussions is ultimately based on cryptocurrencies' lack of intrinsic value. While the ETF structure greatly reduces non-market risks, purchasing it is still a purely speculative gamble, not an investment.
Members may have crypto in their portfolio. The discussion may proceed as long as the strategy for managing crypto aligns with "Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle". For example, selling crypto to purchase stocks or bonds.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

res wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:09 pm
Fireishere wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:30 pm
I'm confused. How does losing one third of your profit justify your change? Is VAGF -> EUNA change really worth it to mess up your compounding?
The profit was insignificant and VAGF is too small for my taste (bid/ask spread is much bigger in VAGF vs. EUNA). And yes, I should’ve choose EUNA in the first place, but I’ve been hassling too much and now I’ve found a peace of mind in my portfolio.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

OP, sorry if I missed this in the thread, but are you in a withdrawal stage or still accumulating?
I don't believe "cash is trash" if you have near-term plans on spending it. It is trash if you plan on sitting on it long-term.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Topic Author
Fireishere

Post by Fireishere »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:34 am OP, sorry if I missed this in the thread, but are you in a withdrawal stage or still accumulating?
I don't believe "cash is trash" if you have near-term plans on spending it. It is trash if you plan on sitting on it long-term.
Hi, I’m still accumulating for about 15-20 years. And I’m holding cash for near-term plans.