Interactive charts showing growth of $10K calculated in foreign currency [Non-US]

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
matthewmatt

Interactive charts showing growth of $10K calculated in foreign currency [Non-US]

Post by matthewmatt »

Morningstar (and some other platforms) gives us opportunity to see how 10K US$ would grow during periods of time.
Does anyone know for online calculator that showing growth in foreign currencies, if invested in US securities?

For example, if I invested 10K US$ in VFINX 10 years ago, 10 K US$ would have grown for 369.08% between 11-29-2011 and 11-29-2021. What would be % of growth in foreign currency, such as Euro?
I know I can calculate it manually using the exchange rates for these two days. However, does anyone know for online calculator that takes currency exchange into account?
Topic Author
matthewmatt

Re: Interactive charts showing growth of $10K calculated in foreign currency

Post by matthewmatt »

What I had in mind is a graph similar to the below one: showing growth of US security but in the foreign currency, such as Euro:
Topic Author
matthewmatt

Post by matthewmatt »

Why I wish to find a website showing the growth of US securities shown foreign currencies?
I LIVE IN EUROPE AND WISH TO COMPARE GROWTH OF EUROPEAN MADE AMERICAN SECURITIES (for example German mutual funds composed of the US stocks) TO THE US INDEX. In EU, the growth of fund is shown in Euros, not in $.
TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet »

matthewmatt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:26 pm Why I wish to find a website showing the growth of US securities shown foreign currencies?
I LIVE IN EUROPE AND WISH TO COMPARE GROWTH OF EUROPEAN MADE AMERICAN SECURITIES (for example German mutual funds composed of the US stocks) TO THE US INDEX. In EU, the growth of fund is shown in Euros, not in $.
Will the information provided by justetf.com show you what you want?

For example, it shows the investing returns for Deka MSCI USA UCITS ETF, DE000ETFL268, in four currencies; use the pulldown at this section's top-right to choose from EUR, USD, CHF or GBP. You can probably guess from the site's name, though, that it holds data for ETFs but not for mutual funds.

As an aside, this thread is probably a better fit for the Non-US Investing forum.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Non-US Investing forum (non-US currency).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
matthewmatt

Re: Interactive charts showing growth of $10K calculated in foreign currency [Non-US]

Post by matthewmatt »

Thank you very much Lady Geek for revealing me just.etf websitesite to me.
May I please ask you few more questions abut just.etf.com ?
1. Do you think that Deka MSCI USA UCITS ETF better reflects VTSAX or VFINX?
2. What ETF from that site best reflects DJ in SP500?
2. In addition, does calculator show reinvested dividends?
Thank you.
TedSwippet

Re: Interactive charts showing growth of $10K calculated in foreign currency [Non-US]

Post by TedSwippet »

matthewmatt wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:55 am 1. Do you think that Deka MSCI USA UCITS ETF better reflects VTSAX or VFINX?
Difficult to say without spending time on it. Probably closer to VFINX (S&P500), since non-US domiciled ETFs generally concentrate on larger US stocks. To be sure, you would need to compare the stocks that these funds hold with the stocks that the Deka ETF holds, to see which has the largest overlap. The largest holdings of both VTSAX and VFINX, around 30% of total holdings, certainly all overlap well with the Deka ETF holdings.

Two notes though, before going further. First, I picked this Deka ETF out of justetf.com entirely at random, because you asked specifically about German mutual funds composed of US stocks. I am not recommending it, nor am I suggesting it is bad; it is simply an example of the sort of thing you asked about. If you are specifically interested in mutual funds then your choice will be more limited than if you can use ETFs. Here, Ireland is the most popular EU domicile for ETFs, in particular because of Ireland's decent tax treaty with the US.

And second, are you a US citizen or US green card holder? If yes, then for US tax reasons you will want to avoid any non-US domiciled mutual funds and ETFs. Otherwise, you run into the US's spiteful PFIC tax rules.

More about both of these aspects of your question in the wiki:
- Nonresident alien investors and Ireland domiciled ETFs - Bogleheads
- Passive foreign investment company - Bogleheads
matthewmatt wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:55 am 2. What ETF from that site best reflects DJ in SP500?
I am not sure what you mean by DJ? Dow Jones? If yes, that is a rival index to the S&P 500, and much less diversified at only 30 companies. Few buy-and-hold index investors these days would choose it over S&P 500 or total stock.

As a German investor, why are you concentrating your efforts on only US stocks? A more globally diversified portfolio would be a better choice.
matthewmatt wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:55 am 2.In addition, does calculator show reinvested dividends?
The English version of the page shows "Performance (including distribution)" under the Results tab. So probably yes. My German is not strong enough to follow everything in the German version of this page.
Topic Author
matthewmatt

Post by matthewmatt »

I just got back an email from customer support at justETF website, here it is:

You can find the best MSCI USA ETFs for your purposes with our investment guide:
https://www.justetf.com/en/how-to/msci-usa-etfs.html

We also provide a guide for the S&P 500 index:
https://www.justetf.com/en/how-to/sp-500-etfs.html

Dividends are included in the performance calculation by default. But you switch it off if you like to:
Topic Author
matthewmatt

Post by matthewmatt »

Great news. Updated Morningstar charts shows growth of funds in many currencies, including Euros and many others.
Halleluiah.
DoctorE

Post by DoctorE »

matthewmatt wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:38 pm Great news. Updated Morningstar charts shows growth of funds in many currencies, including Euros and many others.
Halleluiah.
Do you have a link to the updated charts?
Topic Author
matthewmatt

Post by matthewmatt »

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vtsax/chart
In the right upper corner you can choose among more than 40 currencies.
The example is for VTSAX