Funds similar to VWRL and VT available in Czech republic/Slovakia

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
sojkadca

Funds similar to VWRL and VT available in Czech republic/Slovakia

Post by sojkadca »

Hi everyone,
I would like to invest into global funds like Vanguard's VT or VWRL, but I realized it's not as easy in countries where I live (Czech republic & Slovakia).
Basically I have 2 questions that I need help with:

1. Which bank/platform/app would you use to invest in these (or similar) funds? I found just one bank in Czech republic that has this option but charges 8-10$ for every transaction.

2. Do you have any other global funds like VT or VWRL that you would recommend and are available in Czechia/Slovakia? (goal is to have as many companies and countries as possible in the fund)

Thanks for your help :)
oogZoo

Re: Funds similar to VWRL and VT available in Czech republic/Slovakia

Post by oogZoo »

How about Degiro? I am using Degiro to buy VWCE but I live in another European country. Degiro seems to be available to Czech residents as well and I don't see any reason why VWCE/VWRL wouldn't be available: https://www.degiro.cz/. International Brokers is another popular choice.

VT is not relevant to you. It is for US people.
Topic Author
sojkadca

Post by sojkadca »

Thanks for the tips, I will look into it :happy Any idea how it works with taxes when investing with Degiro? I suppose I have to take care of that myself right?
oogZoo

Post by oogZoo »

Yep. Degiro and IB do not take care of country specific tax reporting for you. You would have to handle that yourself.

In my country only realized gains are taxable. So by buying accumulating ETFs there is no work except until I sell them in future.
seajay

Post by seajay »

Do you have access to London listed stocks?

If so either FCIT (Foreign and Colonial) or WTAN (Witan)

UK levies no dividend withholding taxes (but does levy a 0.5% of purchase amount 'stamp duty'). Both of those are Investment Trusts, in effect stocks that just trade in stocks/bonds and where they are forms of global stocks focused. Foreign and Colonial started in 1868.

They're not index trackers, can use gearing/leverage, where the share price can be at a discount to net asset value. Generally the higher fees from active management tend to be offset by the active management so don't be too concerned about the fees/costs.
MildlyOverrated

Post by MildlyOverrated »

I have been buying VT through Fio broker for some time.

However I switched recently to DEGIRO and VWCE/EUNA (80%/20%).
The advantage of Degiro is that you can deposit funds in CZK and they do currency transfer for you at pretty reasonable cost.
Topic Author
sojkadca

Post by sojkadca »

Thanks for all the great advice! My only question about Degiro that's left is how safe it is. Basically what I read on their site - if something happens with the company you will only get max 20 000EUR back (20k from the funds and 100k from the cash account), which sounds weird. Are any of you concerned about this? Because I want to keep investing there for the next 20-30 years so if something happens with the company it is not covered the same way as for example banks, right?
XtremePWN

Post by XtremePWN »

sojkadca wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:49 am Thanks for all the great advice! My only question about Degiro that's left is how safe it is. Basically what I read on their site - if something happens with the company you will only get max 20 000EUR back (20k from the funds and 100k from the cash account), which sounds weird. Are any of you concerned about this? Because I want to keep investing there for the next 20-30 years so if something happens with the company it is not covered the same way as for example banks, right?
Read more about broker risk here https://www.bankeronwheels.com/how-to-c ... ck-broker/ Degiro is a reputable broker in Europe, I wouldn't worry about this, plus the accounts are segregated.