I need some advice

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Anunfazedgent

I need some advice

Post by Anunfazedgent »

Hello everyone,

I hope that you're keeping safe and well.

I've had a Trading 212 account for well over 12 months now and really struggled to settle for a strategy to monthly investments.

I've recently create a simple pie that consists of iShares J.P Morgan USD EM Bond ETF, Vanguard FTSE All-World and Vanguard S&P 500 ETF.

I'll be investing approximately £100-£125 per month into this pie with the view for long-term growth.

My first question, do the above holdings seem sensible for what I'm hoping to achieve?

Thanks. :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: I need some advice

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome! Based on your post, I moved your thread to the Non-US Investing forum. What is your home country?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
gravix

Post by gravix »

What is it that you're trying to achieve? And what is the % split in your portfolio?

Are you trying to overweigh the US stocks by taking Vanguard S&P 500 on top of the FTSE All world?

How long are you going to be in the accumulation phase? When are you planning to take your retirement?

These are surely a lot of questions, but a context is needed to provide some advice :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For the proper context, may I suggest you post your portfolio information in this thread using the My portfolio: seeking advice format? It will make you think about the "big picture" while giving us the information we need to point you in the right direction.

If you have any questions, ask them here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
oken

Post by oken »

Anunfazedgent wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:00 am Hello everyone,

I hope that you're keeping safe and well.

I've had a Trading 212 account for well over 12 months now and really struggled to settle for a strategy to monthly investments.

I've recently create a simple pie that consists of iShares J.P Morgan USD EM Bond ETF, Vanguard FTSE All-World and Vanguard S&P 500 ETF.

I'll be investing approximately £100-£125 per month into this pie with the view for long-term growth.

My first question, do the above holdings seem sensible for what I'm hoping to achieve?

Thanks. :happy
As a quick response, FTSE All World already included US equities, so unless you intend to overweight US, there is no need for an additional S&P etf.

Depending on your age and ability and willingness to take risk, some may also not recommend any bonds.
ZenInside

Post by ZenInside »

First I would recommend you to depart with Trading 212.

Many investors in early phases tend to ignore the fees, for example Trading 212 has now deposits fees when you make card deposits which was one of their key features. The second thing I didn't like at them is how they removed the meme stocks from trading and things got really hot. This means that they are a fintech with no leverage at the big boys table (the market makers and investment banks).

While their interface is really neat at the end of the day you need more than colors, you need results, and these results are affected by their fees.

The second things is that you MUST define a goal for your portfolio, without a goal you will not have a plan and it will be harder for you to stay consistent in the long run. Without a clear plan your emotions will get you, sooner or later, inevitably. Having a goal and a plan will allow you to identify the risk you will have to take and also the structure of your portfolio.

So, how you should formulate the post is:

Hi,

Bla bla bla
- My goal is to generate 3k monthly at retirement inflation adjusted that will happen 30 years from now
- To achieve this I plan to:
-- Deposit 100 pounds monthly/weekly
-- Reinvest all the dividends
-- Rebalance every 6 months.

Once you have these set run a simulator, will a 3 fund portfolio get you there in 30 years? If not what you can change? The amount you deposit, the composition of the portfolio? Once you nail those down and you get a portfolio that you think will serve the goal you should come here and ask for feedback.