Buying ETF on Swiss stock exchange - tax implications?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
The_Continental

Buying ETF on Swiss stock exchange - tax implications?

Post by The_Continental »

There's an Irish-domiciled ETF that I want to buy. It's listed on the LSE but for whatever reason the LSE listed one is unavailable for purchase through my online broker. I've checked for whether it's under a different stock code but it's not just there. However it's available on the Swiss exchange EBS.

Does anyone know what the tax implications are of buying the ETF on the EBS? Such as whether any capital gain is taxed. I'm a foreign investor and not an EU/Swiss citizen or connected in any way to Switzerland.
gravix

Re: Buying ETF on Swiss stock exchange - tax implications?

Post by gravix »

Taxation is always dependent on your residence country. I would suggest you look up your local laws as ETF treatment differs from one place to another.

AFAIK ETF exchange has no bearing on the taxation, rather where the fund is domiciled and here its Irish, so there's that.

Edit: a useful page addressing Irish funds can be found here.
Last edited by gravix on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
glorat

Re: Buying ETF on Swiss stock exchange - tax implications?

Post by glorat »

Broker makes no difference on taxes. Only the fund domicile and your home tax country.

It's sorta like asking a Swiss agent to buy you a property in Ireland. It doesn't matter that your middleman is some Swiss guy.