Which tech ETF to invest in now - Allianz or Vanguard?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Glossboss

Which tech ETF to invest in now - Allianz or Vanguard?

Post by Glossboss »

Hello,

Keen to invest 5k in a tech ETF this week. I've identified Allianz Tech Trust and Vanguard IT ETF as two of the best, but I cannot decide which to invest in. Would really welcome any views, reflections, comments from others on this.

Thanks so much in advance.

C
Siaigi

Re: Which tech ETF to invest in now - Allianz or Vanguard?

Post by Siaigi »

Here you can find the basic principle of this forum.
I hope it helps https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... _investors
delamer

Post by delamer »

How do their ERs compare?
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

What made you conclude that those two funds were the "best"?

If cannot decide, why not buy 50% in each?

Why not Zoidberg?
TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet »

Welcome.
Glossboss wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:57 am Keen to invest 5k in a tech ETF this week. I've identified Allianz Tech Trust and Vanguard IT ETF as two of the best, but I cannot decide which to invest in. Would really welcome any views, reflections, comments from others on this.
Allianz Technology Trust is a UK domiciled investment trust, and the Vanguard Information Technology ETF is a US domiciled ETF.

Which country do you live in, and do you hold US citizenship or a US green card? Depending on your answers, one or the other of these two funds could be a US tax nightmare that you would very much want to avoid.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

welcome to the group. if you invest in the total stock market you have tech in it. that's the beauty of owning the total market.

Right now tech makes up 25.5% of the total market. Do you want more than that?

If 25.5% of every dollar invested in the total market is in tech already, and you are putting more than 25.5% of your money in tech, do you think you know something the market doesn't?

If tech has gone up in value is there a good reason you want to buy assets that have already gone up? Does buying high usually lead to high returns or low returns?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
steveyg50

Post by steveyg50 »

L&G Global Technology Index Trust I Acc

I have a smattering of the above. Its 0.32%OCF

Bit naughty I suppose but it is at least an INDEX fund 😏
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Give these a research and decide

VGT
IGM
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Glossboss wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:57 am Hello,

Keen to invest 5k in a tech ETF this week. I've identified Allianz Tech Trust and Vanguard IT ETF as two of the best, but I cannot decide which to invest in. Would really welcome any views, reflections, comments from others on this.

C
Glossboss:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

Instead of investing in a single high-risk stock category, most Bogleheads prefer a total market index fund.

What Experts Say About Total Market Index Funds
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Owning the total stock market is tax-efficient and cost-efficient." "Investing in equities entails four risks: stock risk, style risk, manager risk, and market risk. You can easily eliminate the first three of these risks simply by owning the entire stock market—owning the haystack, as it were— and holding it forever." "You could go your entire life without a sector fund and probably never miss it."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
steveyg50

Post by steveyg50 »

RYT
FTECH
IUIT
WITS ?

So many ways to spin the wheel 😏

A pertinent question is what % of the OP's portfolio does the proposed 5k in tech represent?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Glossboss wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:57 am Hello,

C
A fully diversified global index is better than trying to work out which sector and which geography will triumph.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

TedSwippet wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:14 pm Welcome.
Glossboss wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:57 am Keen to invest 5k in a tech ETF this week. I've identified Allianz Tech Trust and Vanguard IT ETF as two of the best, but I cannot decide which to invest in. Would really welcome any views, reflections, comments from others on this.
Allianz Technology Trust is a UK domiciled investment trust, and the Vanguard Information Technology ETF is a US domiciled ETF.

Which country do you live in, and do you hold US citizenship or a US green card? Depending on your answers, one or the other of these two funds could be a US tax nightmare that you would very much want to avoid.
I'm curious to hear the answer to this myself. It seems weird that someone's first post would ask for a decision between an investment not readily available to US investors and one not readily available to UK investors.

Let alone what he expects to hear about a choice between an actively-managed fund with an 0.80% expense ratio, and an index fund with an 0.10% expense ratio that's associated with the firm founded by John C. Bogle.

Unless this is a ploy to get us to find out for ourselves how much better the Allianz fund has done.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.