IBKR - which trading platform do you use?

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Vogatrice

IBKR - which trading platform do you use?

Post by Vogatrice »

New to IBKR and trying to do a few very simple trades. The order entry page looks overly simplistic, doesn't show current market data and keeps giving me a number of obscure error message. Or obscure to me, I don't understand them. So far, I have failed six times to get a limit order put through. When I go the the Learn videos, all it shows me is TWS (Traders' Workstation) which is not what I'm seeing. I have an account with the European entity of IBKR, based in Hungary.

I'm not a completely novice online trader but their interface is not making much sense to me and the TWS seems overly complicated for my simple needs (buying a few ETFs.)

Which trading platform do you use, why did you choose it, and do you have any tips for me on how to buy ETFs through IBKR?

Thanks
Fat Tails

Re: IBKR - which trading platform do you use?

Post by Fat Tails »

To me, the IBKR mobile app is not intuitive and I have had some of the same issues as you. I use the web version on a Windows machine which I like much better. I decline the caution messages during the order placement and dont find them of any use. I place my orders in the afternoon when there is less price volatility. I usually use the “Limit using the mid-price” (between the bid and the ask), which usually get filled quickly at good prices it seems.

I like the TDAmeritrade user interface, but after having more experience with IBKR, I now prefer IBKR over TDAmeritrade.

Cheers
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

Vogatrice wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 am keeps giving me a number of obscure error message. Or obscure to me, I don't understand them. So far, I have failed six times to get a limit order put through
I've used the mobile app, TWS, and the web app all without problems. What error messages do you get? If you post them here, I'm sure people can give you help.
michoco911

Post by michoco911 »

I use the windows website login without issues.
For accurate price, check the prices on Tradingview App or website showing the actual bid and ask and place your limit order accordingly.
60% VWRD 40% AGGG until further notice
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

I use the website (also known as Client Portal) and the mobile app. I can't say they are intuitive but once you get used to them they are good. Tried TWS a few times and ran away quickly....
assyadh

Post by assyadh »

I use the website as well.
Topic Author
Vogatrice

Post by Vogatrice »

Thanks all. I’ve stuck with the website too. I can get done what I need to, but there’s a lot of stuff I don’t understand yet. I just accept the recurrent error messages, that might bite me someday. And the reports are awkward. But it seems to be going okay so far in terms of getting my money out of the U.S., so I’ll just deal with it and learn as I go.
jg12345

Post by jg12345 »

I use IBKR website (not TWS), and Finecobank. all good with both of them.

I also see the current market data when making orders on IB and don't get any errors.
Last edited by jg12345 on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

I like using Tradingview for charts. I believe it's the same charging system that the website uses in the client portal. I know you can trade off Tradingview with IB, I've never done it. I just like the functionality and the mobile app to monitor. It could be something to explore if you don't like tws and prefer the browser. I don't know if you get any discount to use the pro version of Tradingview , but the free version is definitely handy.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

I have used all three systems and for non intensive trading I like the website. However, these past weeks it has been behaving very erratically. Sometime it doesn't show my positions, or my current active orders. It becomes stuck loading and you cannot use it at all. Anyone else experiencing this?

TWS seems the most robust, but the interface looks like it has been designed more than 20 years ago, but I guess it is more aimed at those who do very intensive trading since you can assign hotkeys for quick actions and so on.
tubaleiter

Post by tubaleiter »

TheNomad wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:47 pm I have used all three systems and for non intensive trading I like the website. However, these past weeks it has been behaving very erratically. Sometime it doesn't show my positions, or my current active orders. It becomes stuck loading and you cannot use it at all. Anyone else experiencing this?
The website's been glitchy for me, too. Half the time logs in as view-only with no apparent option to login differently or logout, gets stuck, etc. Closing the browser and reopening seems to work most of the time, or using a different browser. Still, annoying.
glorat

Post by glorat »

Seems I have a different view from others... For trading, IBKR Mobile is the *only* IBKR interface that I find close to usable. I only use the website for administrative things like profiles or transferring money in. I'm quite happy that IBKR Mobile recently got upgraded to have the adaptive algos available for use - that used to be the only reason to use the Trader Workstation which really IMO is only for advanced active traders.

So for buy and hold, IBKR Mobile is more than fine for me.
Wad

Post by Wad »

Trader Workstation App...Ubuntu 18.04. I would imagine there is a similar app for Windows or Apple.