Using IB USA account from Abroad

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
boz

Using IB USA account from Abroad

Post by boz »

Hi,

I'm a US citizen living in the UK. I've had an IB USA account for a few years before I moved here. It still has my USA family house address on it.

Would there be any issues using this account from the UK ? From what I understand IB is generally friendly towards expats. Has anyone else been using their IB accounts from abroad ?

I'll only be transacting in individual USA stocks and CME futures.

Thanks!
German Expat

Re: Using IB USA account from Abroad

Post by German Expat »

I opened my account from Switzerland but with primary citizenship being USA. I have my Swiss address and Swiss cell phone number in it but I am still with IBKR USA (LLC) and use the Lite option.

Not sure that helps you though because Switzerland does not (yet) require KID. Not sure about the UK or what would happen if you change your address on your account to the UK.

In summary I have no idea what wins, your US citizenship or where you are living. Seems to me at least for me the US citizenship took precedent being assigned to the US LLC. Not sure where Swiss citizens get assigned to but I would assume either Ireland or Hungary.
Topic Author
boz

Post by boz »

Thanks, that's good to know. The KIID only applies to funds correct ? I'm not planning on investing in any funds so this shouldn't be an issue.

I was also just planning to leave my address to the USA one since I eventually plan to return. But they would know from the IP that the activity is coming from the UK.

Not sure if that would be an issue in this case since I'm a US citizen.
sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath »

Hi boz,

My bet is you won't have any issues, although of course no guarantees. Mine is set up with my Dutch address (US citizen), but I have accessed it from Asia, the US, and various places in Europe with no issues.
Topic Author
boz

Post by boz »

Great, thanks!