[Slovakia/France/Switzerland] Portfolio ETFs Selection for Retirement

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
dominikvoscek

[Slovakia/France/Switzerland] Portfolio ETFs Selection for Retirement

Post by dominikvoscek »

Country of Residence: currently France, permanent residence in Slovakia
Currency: EUR
Emergency funds: 3-4 months (not aiming higher - stable job/field)
Debt: 18k EUR to a friend (will be paid in 18 months, 0% interest), mortgage 65k EUR (<1% interest, not rushing this)
Desired Asset allocation: 75% stocks / 25% bonds
Horizon: 25+ years
Monthly contribution: ~1000 EUR, possibly more in 18 months, check debt
-----------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I think I have most of things cleared however 4 more still remain and I would like to prevent analysis paralysis.

As far as funds selection is concerned, I would probably go for 2 fond accumulating portfolio from: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Simple_ ... portfolios, this may be enhanced to 3-4 funds in the coming years.

My questions/concerns are:
  • I am a Slovak citizen with my permanent address there, however I am currently living in France, working in international company in Switzerland. I don't know where I will live in 3 years, but it will be in one of those 3 countries, is there something that I should consider beforehand? Or it just doesn't matter now and I can change/adapt things without any issues in the years to come according to my situation?
  • Brokers - I have no idea which one to choose, I heard about https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/home.php, is it OK to go for this one or do you recommend someone else?
  • Taxable and tax-deferred accounts: I read about these in Bogleheads guide to investment, however I am not sure what can I relate these to in EU space. Can I just ignore these? what am I missing here if anything? ( I have a fixed pension scheme without the possibility to invest there as far as I know, will verify this once more )
  • I had a call with financial advisor (whom I already rejected) but he mentioned that if you hold some ETF index funds for more than a year you are free from taxes. So this is just a classical case when you are taxed upon money withdrawal?
So what's my next step? To open the account with the broker and start investing?

Thanks for every piece of advice
Dominik
balkan_investor

Re: [Slovakia/France/Switzerland] Portfolio ETFs Selection for Retirement

Post by balkan_investor »

At your age you should be 100% stocks in your retirement portfolio. Use Irish domiciled UCITS ETFs, buy them in Euros on Xetra:

80% EUNL
10% IUSN
10% IS3N
Topic Author
dominikvoscek

Post by dominikvoscek »

Thank you,

I just wanted follow the rule age = % of bonds, however I subtracted 5 since I have stable prospective job which I love.

What is your piece of advice then, when to start investing into bonds and what percentage of portfolio they should be when?
balkan_investor

Post by balkan_investor »

Only you can determine the right AA for yourself. Personally, I plan to start adding bonds once I hit 40.

That being said, I do own my primary residence (with mortgage) and keep a €20k emergency fund (probably excessive in my LCOL area but lets me sleep well at night).