Investing in the US market from Singapore

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
taetae

Investing in the US market from Singapore

Post by taetae »

Hi,

I would like to get started on investing (23F). I am from Singapore, but I would like to invest in stocks/ETFs the US market.

Which platform could I do that with or is there something like Vanguard (which is not available for Singaporeans) that I could use?

What are some starter stocks/ETFs that I can invest in? Is it possible to get Vanguard target date funds?

Thank you.
TedSwippet

Re: Investing in the US market from Singapore

Post by TedSwippet »

taetae wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:54 pm I would like to get started on investing (23F). I am from Singapore, but I would like to invest in stocks/ETFs the US market.

Which platform could I do that with or is there something like Vanguard (which is not available for Singaporeans) that I could use?
Because of US tax rules, you will generally want to completely avoid all US domiciled funds and ETFs, and instead use non-US domiciled equivalents. You can find full details of why this is, and what alternatives you can use, in the wiki:

- Outline of non-US domiciles
- Nonresident alien investors and Ireland domiciled ETFs

As for brokers, you may have something local that you can use. Otherwise, perhaps Interactive Brokers:

- Investing from Singapore
- Interactive Brokers
taetae wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:54 pm What are some starter stocks/ETFs that I can invest in? Is it possible to get Vanguard target date funds?
The wiki offers some example portfolios:

- Simple non-US portfolios

You will not be able to use Vanguard mutual funds (nor would you want to, given the US tax baggage that comes with them), but Vanguard recently started offering some Ireland domiciled LifeStrategy ETFs that might provide a good route to an entirely hands-off portfolio:

- Vanguard unveils multi-asset “LifeStrategy” UCITS ETFs | ETF Strategy