Vanguard ESG Global All Cap UCITS ETF

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
White Wolf

Vanguard ESG Global All Cap UCITS ETF

Post by White Wolf »

ESG Investing is so hot right now that Vanguard creates this ETF first instead of a plain one. :annoyed

Accumulating: https://global.vanguard.com/portal/inst ... /?overview
Distributing: https://global.vanguard.com/portal/inst ... /?overview
Last edited by White Wolf on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrekvy491

Re: Vanguard ESG Global All Cap UCITS ETF

Post by mrekvy491 »

Thanks for sharing!

Not so sure if I will go for it but will keep my eyes on it

If I can stay away from buying the small cap stocks separately might be worth it.
Aleksok

Post by Aleksok »

This is interesting. I’m currently investing in VWCE IE00BK5BQT80. It doesn’t include small caps so this might be worth to consider. VWCE costs 0,22% and this costs 0,24% so it’s a small difference. On the other side I’m not sure if I want to exclude all those companies. But again, this is worth to explore more. Thanks for sharing 👍

Edit: Here’s more information: https://www.etfstrategy.com/vanguard-de ... tra-35454/
kancell10

Post by kancell10 »

I have been looking at this also, what put me off a bit was it seemed to be so new that there was no performance history or information about what it contains. However, that article you noted gives me confidence that is based on FTSE Global All Cap Index which is another I was looking at.

As there is not an accumulation version available on Vanguard platform, am i correct in thinking though that I'd need to manually invest any divided quarterly, but this would not have any tax or admin impact as I would be using my tax sheltered SIPP & ISA?

Finally, I'm coming from Lifestrategy 100%, therefore i've never had to re-balance and am not familiar with the concept exactly, but i'm assuming this ETF does all this re-balancing automatically i.e. hands off for me?
TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet »

kancell10 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:08 am As there is not an accumulation version available on Vanguard platform, am i correct in thinking though that I'd need to manually invest any divided quarterly, but this would not have any tax or admin impact as I would be using my tax sheltered SIPP & ISA?
Right. (See also: this thread.)
ilarion

Post by ilarion »

I have been waiting for this kind of ETF for Europeans to invest in. One ticket solution to the whole world, simple and beautiful.

I am going to make this the core of my portfolio. I would probably prefer it to be non-esg, though, but I am not too much against it and in the long run it might not matter one way or another. What are your thoughts?

Who else is going to invest in this? :sharebeer
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ilarion wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 am I have been waiting for this kind of ETF for Europeans to invest in. One ticket solution to the whole world, simple and beautiful.

I am going to make this the core of my portfolio. I would probably prefer it to be non-esg, though, but I am not too much against it and in the long run it might not matter one way or another. What are your thoughts?

But they also do an All-World fund for non-ESG investing?
ilarion

Post by ilarion »

Valuethinker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:14 am
ilarion wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 am I have been waiting for this kind of ETF for Europeans to invest in. One ticket solution to the whole world, simple and beautiful.

There is no non-ESG All Cap Global fund, and AFAIK there is not any coming from Vanguard.
Aleksok

Post by Aleksok »

:moneybag
ilarion wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:53 am

There is no non-ESG All Cap Global fund, and AFAIK there is not any coming from Vanguard.
You’re right, there is no non-ESG All Cap for European. All world includes large-cap and medium-cap. So it excludes small-cap. Here’s a ticker for xetra: IE00BK5BQT80, VWCE.

Personally, I must learn more from ESG investing before making any big changes for my portfolio. Here’s a fact sheet for FTSE Global All Cap Choice Index:

https://research.ftserussell.com/Analyt ... db927e.pdf
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

I am puzzled because this is, I think, exactly what I have invested in in my ISA (ie UK).

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/inve ... _fund_link
The Fund seeks to track the performance of the FTSE Global All Cap Index (the “Index”).
The Index is comprised of large, mid-sized and small company shares in developed and emerging markets around the world. Emerging markets are countries that are progressing toward becoming advanced, usually shown by some development in financial markets, the existence of some form of stock exchange and a regulatory body.
The Fund attempts to: 1. Track the performance of the Index by investing in a representative sample of Index constituent shares. 2. Remain fully invested and hold small amounts of cash except in extraordinary market, political or similar conditions where the Fund may temporarily depart from this investment policy.
tre3sori

Post by tre3sori »

Unfortunately there is no €-version of the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund.
The information provided is intended to be entertaining. It is not to be construed as professional advice. Use it at your own risk.
TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet »

Valuethinker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:43 am I am puzzled because this is, I think, exactly what I have invested in in my ISA (ie UK).

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/inve ... nd-gbp-acc
This is a UK domiciled OEIC (approximately equivalent to a US mutual fund). Unlike a UCITS ETF, it won't be readily available to non-UK residents.
ilarion

Post by ilarion »

Valuethinker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:43 am

I am puzzled because this is, I think, exactly what I have invested in in my ISA (ie UK).

The Fund seeks to track the performance of the FTSE Global All Cap Index (the “Index”).
The Index is comprised of large, mid-sized and small company shares in developed and emerging markets around the world. Emerging markets are countries that are progressing toward becoming advanced, usually shown by some development in financial markets, the existence of some form of stock exchange and a regulatory body.
The Fund attempts to: 1. Track the performance of the Index by investing in a representative sample of Index constituent shares. 2. Remain fully invested and hold small amounts of cash except in extraordinary market, political or similar conditions where the Fund may temporarily depart from this investment policy.
You UK investors are being pampered.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

TedSwippet wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:55 am
Valuethinker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:43 am I am puzzled because this is, I think, exactly what I have invested in in my ISA (ie UK).

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/inve ... nd-gbp-acc
This is a UK domiciled OEIC (approximately equivalent to a US mutual fund). Unlike a UCITS ETF, it won't be readily available to non-UK residents.
Ahh. I see. Thank you.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ilarion wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:07 am
Valuethinker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:43 am

You UK investors are being pampered.
I suspect in its time in the EU, the UK was a forceful advocate for more common financial standards, thus allowing pan European marketing of products. Not sure but suspect.

I believe that you might be able to synthesis this product with 2-3 ETFs?

In reality, small cap performance has very little impact on index performance.
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

Quite interested in the USD-Accumulating version V3AA as an alternative as my wife is currently invested in iShares ESG ETFs SAWD + SAEM. Still a bit of a lack of information on this new one though and so far volume is pretty low and according to JustETF the AUM is 15m, but of course that's to be expected as so new.
ilarion

Post by ilarion »

occambogle wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 am Quite interested in the USD-Accumulating version V3AA as an alternative as my wife is currently invested in iShares ESG ETFs SAWD + SAEM. Still a bit of a lack of information on this new one though and so far volume is pretty low and according to JustETF the AUM is 15m, but of course that's to be expected as so new.
Im interested in the exact same fund. I'm extremely positive the AUM will explode up, since this is currently one of a kind UCITS product.
assyadh

Post by assyadh »

Really interested by this new Vanguard ESG Global All Cap UCITS ETF. It is the closest thing we now have to a muslim compliant ETF (no alcohol, adult entertainment, gambling etc..)
MrCurious

Post by MrCurious »

kancell10 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:08 am As there is not an accumulation version available on Vanguard platform, am i correct in thinking though that I'd need to manually invest any divided quarterly, but this would not have any tax or admin impact as I would be using my tax sheltered SIPP & ISA?
Unless your question is UK- or broker-specific, I found an accumulating version on justetf (ticker: V3AB).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A discussion regarding shariah compliant investing has been moved to a new thread. See: [Wiki: Sharia-compliant investing]

Update: Fixed spelling.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
vstariradev

Post by vstariradev »

The tracking error this early world be killer and will definitely affect performance. Also, the fact that it’s ESG would in addition skew the benchmark return. The generally insignificant benefit of small caps would be lost considering the last two points. Lastly, if the AUM remains low for a long time, Vanguard will close it.
I’m still waiting for an all cap ETF to replace my IWDA, EMIM and VWCE and by the looks of it I’ll continue to wait. Maybe in 6 months to a year, I’ll check on it to see how it’s doing.
ilarion

Post by ilarion »

This is so very new, less than a month. Ofcourse the AUM is low, but im pretty sure it will grow even larger than All-world etf.

I dont quite get your point about tracking error? The fund is supposed to follow its own FTSE Global All Cap Choice index. Why would the trackingerror be anything less than other Vanguard etf's?

Yes, the return of All Cap CHOICE index will differ from All Cap index, because it has different holdings. In the long run, I expect them to be about the same.

I dont think the inclusion of small caps is insignificant, as including this asset class will increase diversification, some times they do well some times not.

Myself Im a bit conflicted about the ESG thing:
On one hand, it can be nice not to invest in tobacco, guns, polluting energy, etc...
On the other hand it is bad for diversificaiton, as we will miss all the times these stocks do well.

But there are no competitiors for this as a one ticker solution.
mrekvy491

Post by mrekvy491 »

I am not so convinced by the ESG type of products as the definitions vary quite widely, and there are many grey areas.

For example, Tesla is an electric vehicle maker but also has quite a bit of Bitcoin that is not a very carbon friendly asset. And are the tech companies like Facebook really ESG sound companies?

Much better than coal company I suppose, but not so sure how socially responsible they are. The index also exclude nuclear power related companies which can be 'green' depending on your opinion.

I was thinking about getting some because of the small cap exposure (simplicity) but not so convinced yet on this regards.

I would only be interested if such products offer simplicity, consistency and a zero crypto exposure.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

mrekvy491 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:27 am I am not so convinced by the ESG type of products as the definitions vary quite widely, and there are many grey areas.

For example, Tesla is an electric vehicle maker but also has quite a bit of Bitcoin that is not a very carbon friendly asset. And are the tech companies like Facebook really ESG sound companies?
$1.1bn of Bitcoin sounded like more of a publicity stunt than anything else, for a company valued by the stock market at $700 bn? One seven-hundredth of Tesla's value? (actually it's even less because I am not including the value of Tesla's debt but just its equity value).

Musk has done some impressive things, with a lot of adroit manipulation of capital markets on the way. Teslas are part of saving the planet, but the big saving comes when we (urban dwellers) move to an entirely short term rental model -- rather than us all lease-financing cars that sit on the street unused for 95% of the week.

I agree that ESG varies enormously between index and fund, and question how ESG some companies are.

For example companies which use palm oil are contributing to the most destructive human activity on this planet - tropical rainforest deforestation. That includes an enormous number of consumer products companies.
Much better than coal company I suppose, but not so sure how socially responsible they are. The index also exclude nuclear power related companies which can be 'green' depending on your opinion.

I was thinking about getting some because of the small cap exposure (simplicity) but not so convinced yet on this regards.

I would only be interested if such products offer simplicity, consistency and a zero crypto exposure.
"zero crypto" -- I would say this is an irrelevant factor. The high end of the estimates of power consumption for crypto (the Cambridge University group) are not all that credible. Human beings do lots of stupid things with electricity, wastefully. Think of all those massive external lights we have which are destructive to animal and insect life (due to nocturnal disruption).

Crypto just isn't that big, and will be less so when the bubble blows.

Tropic deforestation on the other hand is over 10% anthropogenic emissions, last time I checked.

Norwegian State fund (their $1 trillion oil money) has a rule that max of 30% of a company can be coal-derived or coal-using utility. European utilities are rushing to divest their coal-fired assets (usually to private equity buyers - who will raise money from US and other pension funds).

I think ESG investing is problematic and is no substitute for direct contributions to groups working on climate change, deforestation etc. I think it is an example of "performative virtue" where it makes us feel good, but doesn't actually change the world. Kind of like driving a Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle - an SUV - but letting the gasoline motor do all the battery charging.
MrCurious

Post by MrCurious »

I agree that ESG is a sort of moral licensing. We feel good about it and thus give license to ourselves not to care about actual issues.

However, I also believe it's not an either/or type of problem. I feel that the world would be a better place if we both invested in ESG and financially supported organizations that are working on solving real issues.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

MrCurious wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:36 am I agree that ESG is a sort of moral licensing. We feel good about it and thus give license to ourselves not to care about actual issues.
There *are* ESG funds that maintain professional staff of people to analyse companies.

They buy shares in these companies and then try to introduce shareholder resolutions. For example the ongoing battle to force Exxon to publish a climate change impact statement.

This may be doing some good. A sort of "Fifth Generation Warfare". However such funds by necessity have high expense ratios and high levels of concentration.
However, I also believe it's not an either/or type of problem. I feel that the world would be a better place if we both invested in ESG and financially supported organizations that are working on solving real issues.
I agree

What I rebel against is the notion that ESG investing, per se, by the individual investor is likely to do any good at all. You are just creating opportunities for value funds, and for private equity, in my view. Cash generative companies don't need to raise new capital from shareholders and so the share price is just less relevant to them -- thinking tobacco, the oil supermajors etc.

Bitcoin is bad. Amazon and Google's servers are a lot worse*, as is Apple's consumption of rare minerals mined in ways that harm the environment and the people mining them (DRC - here's looking at Coltan)**.

Solar panel manufacture is the next disaster - but the topics are prohibited here anyways.

* although Amazon, FB and Google are all, variously, moving towards zero carbon server electricity.

** Apple stands a much better chance of cleaning up its supply chain than a no name maker of smartphones.
vstariradev

Post by vstariradev »

ilarion wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:13 am I dont quite get your point about tracking error? The fund is supposed to follow its own FTSE Global All Cap Choice index. Why would the trackingerror be anything less than other Vanguard etf's?

Yes, the return of All Cap CHOICE index will differ from All Cap index, because it has different holdings. In the long run, I expect them to be about the same.
My point about tracking error is that a fund tracking such a large benchmark needs to have the assets to be able to successfully replicate the benchmark. Initially, when the AUM is low, that will be difficult and the result will be a large tracking error which will decrease with time.
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

I don't have any V3AA but have been following it, as my wife currently uses SAWD+SAEM and the simplicity of V3AA is appealing. AUM is currently $226m.
But I noticed this on their website today "This product has upcoming changes. Please view the fund announcement for more information." - but then no link to any announcement.
Anyone have an idea what that is about? I'm guessing (perhaps, I've no info) some kind of reduced Russia exposure due to some indexes dropping it but would be nice to know more....
https://www.vanguard.co.uk/professional ... cumulating
Laurizas

Post by Laurizas »

occambogle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:24 am I'm guessing (perhaps, I've no info) some kind of reduced Russia exposure due to some indexes dropping it but would be nice to know more....
Russia and ESG? Are you kidding:)
vsquid

Post by vsquid »

Laurizas wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:17 am
occambogle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:24 am I'm guessing (perhaps, I've no info) some kind of reduced Russia exposure due to some indexes dropping it but would be nice to know more....
Russia and ESG? Are you kidding:)

Here are the fund's Russian holdings. I assume the market values have been zeroed since the end of February.
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

I eventually found a document listing the upcoming changes, which were announced in January but take effect March 21, 2022. They are nothing to do with Russia, just some minor changes in the underlying index:

https://www.vanguardinvestments.dk/docu ... ts-etf.pdf

As for Russia holdings its hard to see details because it is/was so small, but their site lists the underlying index as having 0.1% Russia, and this fund having 0.0%, which I assume are rounded up/down but either way basically irrelevant.
vsquid

Post by vsquid »

occambogle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:15 am As for Russia holdings its hard to see details because it is/was so small, but their site lists the underlying index as having 0.1% Russia, and this fund having 0.0%, which I assume are rounded up/down but either way basically irrelevant.
Of course the main question is, what was the percentage before the Russian market was wiped off the map.
occambogle

Post by occambogle »

vsquid wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:19 am
occambogle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:15 am As for Russia holdings its hard to see details because it is/was so small, but their site lists the underlying index as having 0.1% Russia, and this fund having 0.0%, which I assume are rounded up/down but either way basically irrelevant.
Of course the main question is, what was the percentage before the Russian market was wiped off the map.
Those figures are from before the current conflict. I got them from a Vanguard portfolio composition document which says "as of June 2021". Scroll to "Market allocation" then at the bottom of the list of countries, click "Download"

As this is a negative-screening ETF, I imagine many of Russia's companies were easily excluded because of involvement in fossil fuels, weapons, governance or labor issues etc.
I'm not sure how you created that excel sheet with company-level minute detail, but it would be quite interesting to do a side-by side comparison with a non-ESG direct equivalent.
vsquid

Post by vsquid »

occambogle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:24 am I'm not sure how you created that excel sheet with company-level minute detail, but it would be quite interesting to do a side-by side comparison with a non-ESG direct equivalent.
You can get the excel here: https://www.vanguard.co.uk/professional ... cumulating

Scroll down to holding details and click the download button which is located below the ten biggest holdings. You can also get the excel for other vanguard funds at the same web site.
mz476

Post by mz476 »

occambogle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:24 am
vsquid wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:19 am
Those figures are from before the current conflict. I got them from a Vanguard portfolio composition document which says "as of June 2021". Scroll to "Market allocation" then at the bottom of the list of countries, click "Download"

As this is a negative-screening ETF, I imagine many of Russia's companies were easily excluded because of involvement in fossil fuels, weapons, governance or labor issues etc.
I'm not sure how you created that excel sheet with company-level minute detail, but it would be quite interesting to do a side-by side comparison with a non-ESG direct equivalent.
In Vanguard's Excel files there is probably a bug with the date specification. I have been watching the country weightings of the Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF Accumulating on Vanguards's German website for the past month. The file always states "as of June 2021", but the weightings do change. So I assume the monthly changing date specification on their website is the correct one.

For the All-World I can tell you that the allcoation to Russia as of end of January 2022 was 0.30%. Because of the ESG problematic industries in Russia I aussume that Russia allocation in the ESG Global All Cap was rather smaller than larger.