Diversfication / Asset allocation [UK]

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
Andreakob

Diversfication / Asset allocation [UK]

Post by Andreakob »

HI,

I live in the UK and my broker does not really offer any good small/mid US cap index fund.

Would investing in European index fund compensate ? Bearing in mind I plan to invest every month in a s&p 500 index about 55%, 20% in a vanguard us government and the rest in European index.

Many thanks
Valuethinker

Re: Diversfication / Asset allocation [UK]

Post by Valuethinker »

Andreakob wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:08 am HI,

I live in the UK and my broker does not really offer any good small/mid US cap index fund.

Would investing in European index fund compensate ? Bearing in mind I plan to invest every month in a s&p 500 index about 55%, 20% in a vanguard us government and the rest in European index.

Many thanks
What about an ETF?

Why are you ignoring Asia? Japan Taiwan South Korea China Australia.
Topic Author
Andreakob

Post by Andreakob »

The dealing charges of my broker for ETF are too important considering the monthly investment for the different allocations, also the ongoing charge are higher.

I guess I could buy 2 index funds to cover both Europe and Asia. Strangely I can only find European index funds excluding Uk and Asian index funds excluding Japan.

What do you think ?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Andreakob wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:04 pm The dealing charges of my broker for ETF are too important considering the monthly investment for the different allocations, also the ongoing charge are higher.

I guess I could buy 2 index funds to cover both Europe and Asia. Strangely I can only find European index funds excluding Uk and Asian index funds excluding Japan.

What do you think ?
And there's no possibility of buying a global index fund?

Usually they split between Emerging Markets and Developed Markets, but in fact VG offers a FTSE All-World which includes both. That is the one I use. Slightly higher expense ratio but it frees me from the hassle of having to rebalance between 2 funds (and the risk I won't do it - the best strategy to combat human nature is precommitment).

If you hold the global index, it won't make a big difference whether you do/ do not hold the UK. The UK has underperformed for a long while but perhaps its very old economy mix of companies (oil & gas, pharmaceuticals, tobacco, mining) is due a bit of outperformance at long last?