New German Bogleheads Local Chapter Established

Non-US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
EmperorPenguin

New German Bogleheads Local Chapter Established

Post by EmperorPenguin »

=======NEWS====================================
We started the chapter!
Next meeting: Sunday June 27th 7:30pm.
Send me a mail to GermanBogleheads@gmail.com or a PM on the forum for an invitation!

Looking forward to meet any interested Bogleheads!
================================================
Original message:

Hi there,
after lurking these forums for a while (and finally signing up), I'd love to connect with fellow Bogleheads in Germany. There doesn't seem to be a local chapter, but perhaps this could change? I'm very interested to discuss allocations, concepts specific to the region... and learn from those who have stayed the course.
I myself am located in Lower Saxony.
Last edited by EmperorPenguin on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mel Lindauer

Re: German Bogleheads?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

EmperorPenguin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:24 am Hi there,
after lurking these forums for a while (and finally signing up), I'd love to connect with fellow Bogleheads in Germany. There doesn't seem to be a local chapter, but perhaps this could change? I'm very interested to discuss allocations, concepts specific to the region... and learn from those who have stayed the course.
If there are four more German Bogleheads who would like to get together with you and form a Local Chapter and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, just let me know and I'll get your group up and running.

Who knows? if you get the group established, I just may return to my ancestors' homeland to attend one of your future meetings. With a name like "Lindauer", how could I resist?
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
AlCLE

Post by AlCLE »

I'm an American but live permanently in Germany (Baden-Württemberg). It would be great to have a group. :sharebeer
herbIT

Post by herbIT »

Hi folks!

I've been lurking since last summer I guess. Took my time to think of a suitable username.
This thread made me sign up just to put my (new found) name on the list. So thanks for that. :beer

Can't claim having stayed the course since I just started sailing. I'm from North Rhine-Westphalia.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:11 pm
If there are four more German Bogleheads who would like to get together with you and form a Local Chapter and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, just let me know and I'll get your group up and running.

Who knows? if you get the group established, I just may return to my ancestors' homeland to attend one of your future meetings. With a name like "Lindauer", how could I resist?
Mel, that meeting ought to be held in Lindau at the Bodensee Lake. Beautiful spot, would be hard to resist for anybody..
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

wesgreen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:00 pm

Mel, that meeting ought to be held in Lindau at the Bodensee Lake. Beautiful spot, would be hard to resist for anybody..
That was my thought, too. I've cleared customs in Frankfurt on the way to Paris, but still have to get to Lindau.
Stef

Post by Stef »

I'm interested too. But if you open up a new sub-forum, I would combine all German speaking countries together. So Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
66.66% USA | 13.33% Switzerland | 10% Developed Markets exUS/CH | 10% Emerging Markets
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Stef wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:44 am

I'm interested too. But if you open up a new sub-forum, I would combine all German speaking countries together. So Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
That would work, too.
Justfinance

Post by Justfinance »

Lake of Constance Chapter would fits nicely 3 countries 4 regions :happy
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Stef wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:44 am I'm interested too. But if you open up a new sub-forum, I would combine all German speaking countries together. So Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
Die Bogleköpfe!
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Topic Author
EmperorPenguin

Post by EmperorPenguin »

JupiterJones wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:26 am
Stef wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:44 am I'm interested too. But if you open up a new sub-forum, I would combine all German speaking countries together. So Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
Die Bogleköpfe!
I love this.

It's good to see there is some resonance. Let's have a little virtual get-together soon. Tomorrow on Google Meet, or maybe next week?
If I counted correctly we also got the minimum number together - let's start the DACH chapter. :sharebeer
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

wesgreen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:00 pm

Perfect. Schwaben, the spiritual home of all Bogleheads. :beer
We plan. G-d laughs.
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

I would be interested as well. American / German living in Switzerland.
Virtual get together should be easy but we need somebody to take the initiative :happy

Weekday evening or weekend better? I prefer weekday evening after dinner but can make a weekend work as well.

Agenda items for first meet? I like to get to know everybody what you do, if you have some special knowledge you could share around investing and what your open questions are. And socializing with a good scotch, bourbon or Irish whisky :D
Justfinance

Post by Justfinance »

Looking forward to our first virtual meeting “DACH Lake of Constance Chapter” How about next week? :sharebeer
Topic Author
EmperorPenguin

Post by EmperorPenguin »

Hi everybody, I have set-up a Google Meet for next Sunday (April 25th) for 7:30pm.
https://meet.google.com/nrz-tmdb-pvs

If somebody wants this as a calendar invite maybe PM me your mail address, not really sure how this works for open meetings. The link should be fine to join for everybody, though, once the time comes.
Looking forward to meeting all of you!

PS: I'd say if 3/4 of us can make this time, we stick with it. If it's less than 3/4 we reschedule.
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

I plan to be there. Thanks for setting it up. Sent you a PM for a calendar invite.
Mel Lindauer

Re: New German Bogleheads Local Chapter Established

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Everyone:

I'm pleased to announce that we now have a new German Bogleheads Local Chapter. EmperorPenguin has agreed to be the Chapter Coordinator and he can be reached right here on this thread or at the Local Chapter's email address GermanBogleheads@gmail.com.

Feel free to use the forum to communicate with each other.

All the best to our newest Local Chapter.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

I’d like to join. We’re located in Thuringia, the green heart of Germany with our beautiful forests, parks and hiking trails, and also so conveniently sitting in the center.

However I will remain loyal to the South Florida group too. You know, Taylor Larimore brings coffee and tasty sandwiches to their meetings.

This Sunday evening works for me.
Taylor Larimore

My Best Wishes

Post by Taylor Larimore »

German Bogleheads:

Please accept my best wishes for opening and maintaining a German Bogleheads Chapter.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The great game of life is not about money; it is about doing your best to join the battle to build anew ourselves, our communities, our nation, and our world."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
xkcd4711

Post by xkcd4711 »

Thanks for setting this up. I'm from Germany originally (Bodensee area) but have lived in the US for the past 30-odd years. It might be interesting for me to learn about the larger framework in Germany (e.g. availability of low-expense funds, legal framework around taxation, Quellensteuer, Riester-Rente etc.) as I continue to support family in Germany around money and investments. I've added the meeting to my calendar. Hope it'll work out.

V.
Bernmaster

Post by Bernmaster »

Another German Boglehead here - sounds good :happy !
"The unsophisticated investor who is realistic about his shortcomings is likely to obtain better results than the knowledgeable professional who is blind to even a single weakness” ― Warren Buffett
Justfinance

Post by Justfinance »

Pinned in the calendar looking forward :sharebeer
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The Bogleheads are truly international force!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

Having friends over to grill and probably won’t make it today (or be late dependent how long the meeting goes). Sorry to miss out and look forward to make it next time.
Justfinance

Post by Justfinance »

Ready :sharebeer
Justfinance

Post by Justfinance »

Yesterday we had our first kick of VC of the German Bogleheads in a small group but at least a start ... Let’s keep on going!

Take away for me in a nutshell:
Instead of “Sell in May and go away” -> “Stay invested throughout the year, lean back and drink a beer” :sharebeer
Topic Author
EmperorPenguin

Post by EmperorPenguin »

Hello everybody!
I want to thank yesterday's attendees for joining, it was an interesting evening that made me look forward to many more. :)

For the next time, I will keep the meeting link private. If you want to join, please send me a personal message here or write an eMail (in advance) to germanbogleheads@gmail.com. Please feel free to ask any questions in advance - if possible, I will compile everybody's questions or topics of the day to try and go through them in full.
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Post by Barry Barnitz »

Hi:

We have added your chapter to our site's Financial Page blog. Let me know if you ever wish to add any additional information: German Bogleheads®.

The chapter page is also listed in our Non-US local chapters page: Non-US chapters.

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page bogleheads.org. blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; La Guía Bogleheads® España site.
Justfinance

Post by Justfinance »

:sharebeer
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: My Best Wishes

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:19 pm German Bogleheads:

Please accept my best wishes for opening and maintaining a German Bogleheads Chapter.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "The great game of life is not about money; it is about doing your best to join the battle to build anew ourselves, our communities, our nation, and our world."
Hi Taylor -

You lead by example and are an inspiration to all. The Bogleheads support folks from around the world regarding investment advice inspired by Jack Bogle!

Taylor, I have learned so much from you both financially and in life. You are a role model and mentor. I am glad that you reached out to the new German Chapter. You battled the Germans in the Battle of the Bulge. That battle was the deadliest battle for Americans in WWII in which the United States suffered nearly 90,000 casualties.

If Taylor can forgive and welcome a German Boglehead chapter, it is a lesson about “forgiveness.”

Many thanks sir!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
a__

Post by a__ »

Servus aus Franken!

I'm very keen to connect with the local community - especially if there are other US citizens? I'm currently in the fight of my life (OK, that might be too dramatic) with the accountants regarding some new tax regulations for my US-domiciled accoutns... :shock:

I've sent an email, and looking forward to connecting at the next opportunity.
Topic Author
EmperorPenguin

Post by EmperorPenguin »

We had a lovely little meeting on May 30th.
We discussed the possible coming tax code changes regarding capital gains tax, exchanged information regarding dual citizenship and US/German taxation, and discussed various investing topics. It was a fun time!

The next German Bogleheads meeting will be on Sunday, June 27th (the last Sunday of the month), 7:30pm Berlin time. Looking forward to getting to know people!
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

EmperorPenguin wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:43 am We had a lovely little meeting on May 30th.
We discussed the possible coming tax code changes regarding capital gains tax, exchanged information regarding dual citizenship and US/German taxation, and discussed various investing topics. It was a fun time!

The next German Bogleheads meeting will be on Sunday, June 27th (the last Sunday of the month), 7:30pm Berlin time. Looking forward to getting to know people!
I've marked my calendar!
AlCLE

Post by AlCLE »

Hi everyone,
I'm also an American permanently in Germany. I'd be happy to join you at the next meeting. :sharebeer
Rheintrumpet

Post by Rheintrumpet »

Hi,
I am also an American permanently residing in NRW. I would love to join the meeting on June 27!
bpb7695

Post by bpb7695 »

Servus from Austria, I would also love to join the group and any future meetings!
Topic Author
EmperorPenguin

Post by EmperorPenguin »

bpb7695 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:56 am Servus from Austria, I would also love to join the group and any future meetings!
Hi, good to hear from you!
Please write an email to germanbogleheads@gmail.com so I can send you the calendar invite. :)
WienerG

Post by WienerG »

Me too ... Wld be very interested in connecting. Am also based in Austria (Vienna)

WienerG
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

German Bogleheads:

I am distressed to learn about the serious flooding in Germany but glad to learn we have a new German Boglehead Chapter.

Best Wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn every day, but especially from the experience of others. It’s cheaper.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Paulaner

Post by Paulaner »

Hi all,

Nice to meet you. Irish living in Munich. Will send an email to the gmail now.

Talk soon!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Nice to see that our German Bogleheads Chapter is alive and well. Wishing you continued success. Perhaps I can attend a future meeting when/if I get back to Germany.
ae86

Post by ae86 »

Hello all,

I am based in Freiburg and will be sending an email to join the group. Looking forward to speaking with you all.
Topic Author
EmperorPenguin

Post by EmperorPenguin »

Hi everybody,

for this Sunday we will welcome two new joiners. :)
If there are any topics that are of interest to you, please feel free to add suggestions below. Perhaps we can dig up some material in preparation.

There are some incoming changes on property tax, we have some inflation going on... A lot of things we can't control, but maybe control for?
Looking forward to your talking points.
fabian

Post by fabian »

How wonderful to see a German section of the Bogleheads! Is the chapter still active and is a future meeting planned? I'd love to join and meet the other Bogleheads.