Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter

Non-US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

Dear Sir Mel Lindauer & other member`s of Bogleheads.org!

We are writing to you with initiative of creating Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter.

At the end of July, we (private investors from Russia) launched noncommercial, informational and educative project BOGLEHEADS_RU.
It is aim is sharing the experience of successful investing from the beginning and showing the way to financial independence in Russia.

The theoretical foundations of the project are the ideas of Nobel Prize laureates in economics, John Bogle's principles, modern portfolio theory and asset allocation strategy.

The practical basis is the well-balanced portfolio containing index funds of diverse classes of assets.

The result for a Russian passive investor is return that is higher than the bank deposit, the outrunning of inflation, reduction of tax costs and long-term growth of the capital.

Now we are promoting John Bogle's ideas in Russia, using following resources:
1. Telegram channel BOGLEHEADS_RU (https://t.me/BOGLEHEADS_RU) – 283 followers (Stats: https://tgstat.ru/channel/@BOGLEHEADS_RU)
2. Group in VK - 30 followers (http://vk.com/BOGLEHEADS_RU)
We are planning to launch this project in other several social networks and to create a website.
That would be honor to me to become a coordinator of Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter. My colleague Edward Zamorsky could be my head assistant.

Sincerely,
Yuriy Holmogorov, project editor (yholmogorov@gmail.com)
Edward Zamorsky, head assistant
Last edited by YHOLMOGOROV on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zamorsky

Re: Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter

Post by Zamorsky »

Dear friends and collegues,
My name is Edward Zamorsky, i am a private passive investor from Russia. The passive investing strategy in our country is not as popular as we all expect it to be...however there are more and more people understanding the importance of financial self-protection and ways to augment their own fortune.
This situation implies the necessity of creating educative and informational resources to increase people's financial litteracy level and motivation of investing and developping business.
That would be honor to me to become a head assistant of such a helpful project.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Hello Mr. Holmogorov and Mr. Zamorsky,

I am an American born in what used to be the Soviet Union. I've been a member of the Bogleheads community for about 20 years and greatly appreciate its general principles and the opportunity to discuss specific questions and issues. In my investing life, I took advantage of Jack Bogle's philosophy and switched from individual stocks and sectors to broad-based low-cost index funds. Jack's advice has served me well. But I am fortunate to have access to the Vanguard funds and other similar investments.

I wonder how practical is Bogleheads-type investing in Russia? Do Russian citizens have access to Vanguard? Do you have your own fund companies similar to Vanguard?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

Hello Victoria!
Very nice to meet you.

The ideas of long-term passive investing are gradually spreading in Russia. But the process is slow. Most private investors prefer an active portfolio management style.

At the moment, there is an opportunity to purchase shares of 42 ETF on the Moscow Exchange (MOEX) - https://www.moex.com/msn/etf
This is a rather limited choice, but it already allows you to build a diversified investment portfolio

Russian investors can get access to ETF Vanguard only by signing an agreement with the American company Interactive Brokers. Only if you have more than 100 thousand dollars it's beneficial to you to work with Vanguard. Considering that the average salary in Russia is now $ 500, too few investors could use this method.

If you speak Russian, then feel free to write to me by e-mail and subscribe to our project. Our goal with Edward is to improve the financial literacy of investors in Russia, to show them the triumph of the principles and ideas of John Bogle.

Regards, Yuriy
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Hello Yurly,

Thank you for your warm and detailed response. I commend you and Edward for spreading financial literacy in Russia. While the opportunities today are limited, the more people learn about the benefits of the Bogleheads-type investing the higher will be the demand for index funds and ETFs and the supply should follow it.

Good luck!
Victoria

P.S. This year the annual Bogleheads conference will be held remotely. The details are still evolving. Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=314271 . I think it would be a good experience for you to meet some prominent Bogleheads in person, even if it's just a screen.
P.P.S. I read (in Russian) your review of Jason Zweig's book. May I suggest that you also check out William J. Bernstein? Jack Bogle called him the smartest man he's met, and dialogs between Jack and Bill ("fireside chats") were a highlight of previous Bogleheads conferences. Bill has some excellent long books, but a good place to start is his recent short books in Kindle, e.g.:
"If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly"
or his 4-part series:
"The Ages of the Investor: A Critical Look at Life-cycle Investing (Investing for Adults Book 1)"
"Skating Where the Puck Was: The Correlation Game in a Flat World (Investing for Adults Book 2)"
"Deep Risk: How History Informs Portfolio Design (Investing for Adults Book 3)"
"Rational Expectations: Asset Allocation for Investing Adults (Investing for Adults Book 4)"
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Mr. Holmogorov and Mr. Zamorsky,

Hello and Welcome to the Bogleheads forum. I am the site administrator and can suggest the following:

- We have a dedicated forum for non-US investors, the Non-US Investing forum. You can search this forum for Russian investors.

Here is one example: portfolio construction [Russia] If you have an opinion of this portfolio or can provide alternative suggestions, you (and all members) are welcome to participate in the discussion. This is how we learn - by interacting with actual scenarios and having productive discussions.

- Our wiki, Bogleheads® wiki, accommodates non-US investors. It is maintained by our forum members and represents a consensus of the Bogleheads forum. We have a general approach here: Getting started for non-US investors

Here is a list of dedicated investment pages: Template:Non-US domiciles (Brazil is under development)

We do not have any information for Russia. If there is sufficient information and member participation, we can develop a page for Russia.

The wiki uses the same software as Wikipedia and we follow Wikipedia policy guidelines. If you proceed with your website, you can create your own wiki.

We also have a page for books: Books: recommendations and reviews

"If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly" by William Bernstein is a free download from etf.com. It is intended for young US investors.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:51 am Hello Yurly,

Thank you for your warm and detailed response. I commend you and Edward for spreading financial literacy in Russia. While the opportunities today are limited, the more people learn about the benefits of the Bogleheads-type investing the higher will be the demand for index funds and ETFs and the supply should follow it.

Good luck!
Victoria

P.S. This year the annual Bogleheads conference will be held remotely. The details are still evolving. Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=314271 . I think it would be a good experience for you to meet some prominent Bogleheads in person, even if it's just a screen.
P.P.S. I read (in Russian) your review of Jason Zweig's book. May I suggest that you also check out William J. Bernstein? Jack Bogle called him the smartest man he's met, and dialogs between Jack and Bill ("fireside chats") were a highlight of previous Bogleheads conferences. Bill has some excellent long books, but a good place to start is his recent short books in Kindle, e.g.:
"If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly"
or his 4-part series:
"The Ages of the Investor: A Critical Look at Life-cycle Investing (Investing for Adults Book 1)"
"Skating Where the Puck Was: The Correlation Game in a Flat World (Investing for Adults Book 2)"
"Deep Risk: How History Informs Portfolio Design (Investing for Adults Book 3)"
"Rational Expectations: Asset Allocation for Investing Adults (Investing for Adults Book 4)"
Victoria, thank you for your kind wishes and for inviting me to the Bogleheads online conference. We will be glad to take part in it if time and technical capacitiesof connection allow.

In our library we have two wonderful books by William Bernstein published in Russia: "The Intelligent Asset Allocator: How to Build Your Portfolio to Maximize Returns and Minimize Risk" and "The Investor's Manifesto: Preparing for Prosperity, Armageddon, and Everything in Between".
And his brochure “If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly” is also translated into Russian and distributed as an educational publication free of charge - https://assetallocation.ru/category/boo ... f_you_can/
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:22 pm Mr. Holmogorov and Mr. Zamorsky,

Hello and Welcome to the Bogleheads forum. I am the site administrator and can suggest the following:

- We have a dedicated forum for non-US investors, the Non-US Investing forum. You can search this forum for Russian investors.

Here is one example: portfolio construction [Russia] If you have an opinion of this portfolio or can provide alternative suggestions, you (and all members) are welcome to participate in the discussion. This is how we learn - by interacting with actual scenarios and having productive discussions.

- Our wiki, Bogleheads® wiki, accommodates non-US investors. It is maintained by our forum members and represents a consensus of the Bogleheads forum. We have a general approach here: Getting started for non-US investors

Here is a list of dedicated investment pages: Template:Non-US domiciles (Brazil is under development)

We do not have any information for Russia. If there is sufficient information and member participation, we can develop a page for Russia.

The wiki uses the same software as Wikipedia and we follow Wikipedia policy guidelines. If you proceed with your website, you can create your own wiki.

We also have a page for books: Books: recommendations and reviews

"If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly" by William Bernstein is a free download from etf.com. It is intended for young US investors.
LadyGeek, thanks for your warm welcome!

We are ready to provide all necessary information on the specifics of investing in ETFs in Russia (list of funds, their commissions, tax incentives, etc.)
Do you need information in Russian or English? If it is in English, the translation will take time, but we are ready to do it
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is an English language board (and wiki). We require the information in English.

The approach is to develop a page as a collaboration among the members. When we achieve a consensus, the page becomes part of the wiki.

The process can start by creating a "New topic" in the Non-US Investing to develop the project. The topic can be titled "[Wiki] Investing in Russia", for example. A wiki editor will revise the draft page content as the discussion progresses.

This is an interactive discussion. All members and wiki editors can collaborate on this project. Anyone can provide a suggestion, as well as disagree on specific points.

The wiki is intended to educate investors on the basic principles. You do not need to provide a complete list of every fund. I would suggest providing example portfolios that align with the Bogle investment philosophy.

A description of Russian taxation would also be helpful.

Here is a comprehensive example: UK investing. Every country is different, so please explore the Template:Non-US domiciles for ideas on how to structure your page.

The Moscow Exchange has an English language website. Moscow Exchange

===========
The wiki software is free and open source. If you proceed with a website, it is available in Russian.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

LadyGeek, thank you for support.

When we have free time, we will definitely start this interesting and useful work for the community.
Can we contact you personally for advice about creating wiki pages?

Regards, Yuriy and Edward
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:00 am This is an English language board (and wiki). We require the information in English.

The approach is to develop a page as a collaboration among the members. When we achieve a consensus, the page becomes part of the wiki.

The process can start by creating a "New topic" in the Non-US Investing to develop the project. The topic can be titled "[Wiki] Investing in Russia", for example. A wiki editor will revise the draft page content as the discussion progresses.

This is an interactive discussion. All members and wiki editors can collaborate on this project. Anyone can provide a suggestion, as well as disagree on specific points.

The wiki is intended to educate investors on the basic principles. You do not need to provide a complete list of every fund. I would suggest providing example portfolios that align with the Bogle investment philosophy.

A description of Russian taxation would also be helpful.

Here is a comprehensive example: UK investing. Every country is different, so please explore the Template:Non-US domiciles for ideas on how to structure your page.

The Moscow Exchange has an English language website. Moscow Exchange

===========
The wiki software is free and open source. If you proceed with a website, it is available in Russian.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, you may send me a Private Message for personal advice about creating wiki pages.

Editing the Bogleheads wiki is restricted to Bogleheads forum members. Any member may send a Private Message to myself or to Barry Barnitz (another wiki administrator) to request access.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Yuriy Holmogorov and Edward Zamorsky
I have no advise, just wanted to say my husband and I visited Russia in 2018 (tourist river cruise, Moscow to St. Petersburg) and loved your country. Great of you to be doing this. Best wishes. Laura
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

Laura, thanks for the kind words about the project.

I am glad that you like our country.
The architecture of St. Petersburg is magnificent.

Best wishes, Yuriy
Lalamimi wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:41 pm Yuriy Holmogorov and Edward Zamorsky
I have no advise, just wanted to say my husband and I visited Russia in 2018 (tourist river cruise, Moscow to St. Petersburg) and loved your country. Great of you to be doing this. Best wishes. Laura
FIRE Comrade

Post by FIRE Comrade »

Hello!
Just another private Russian investor here.
It is awesome that good ideas are spreading across our country. I would love to participate in it, especially the wiki page(s).
I do not consider myself a 100% conventional boglehead, but I do have some thoughts on Russia-specific portfolio construction, tax optimizations, etc.

Looking forward to starting to contribute.

Best wishes
Alexey
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

Hello Alexey!

We are glad to know there are people wanting to participate in discussion and practical work of spreading Bogle's ideas in Russia.
We are ready to consider our possible cooperation in this field.
Feel free to write to us in russian)

Regards, Yuriy and Edward
FIRE Comrade wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:49 am Hello!
Just another private Russian investor here.
It is awesome that good ideas are spreading across our country. I would love to participate in it, especially the wiki page(s).
I do not consider myself a 100% conventional boglehead, but I do have some thoughts on Russia-specific portfolio construction, tax optimizations, etc.

Looking forward to starting to contribute.

Best wishes
Alexey
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

UPDATE!

After creating Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter & blog page https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/boglehe ... -chapters/ we are promoting John Bogle's ideas in Russia, using following resources:

✔️Telegram channel (https://t.me/russia_bogleheads) - > 1000 followers
Stats: https://tgstat.ru/channel/@russia_bogleheads
✔️Group in VK (https://vk.com/russia_bogleheads) - > 80 followers
✔️Account in Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/russia_bogleheads) - > 50 followers
✔️Channel in Yandex.Zen (https://zen.yandex.ru/id/5f1c3565b646dd546e7dfd53) - > 40 followers

We ask all Russian investors to feel free to write to us

Last edited by YHOLMOGOROV on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads and investing is truly global....
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

Thanks, it`s true :happy
abuss368 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:08 pm Bogleheads and investing is truly global....
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

Dear friends!
Especially for the Bogleheads® forum and blog, we translated our article, which tells the members of the Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter about the philosophy of the Bogleheads® movement.

WHO ARE BOGLEHEADS®?

The Bogleheads® community unites private investors from all over the world. Any nation, age, profession, income, and wealth. The overall goals of the participants are simple and clear: achievement of sustainable financial well-being for themselves and their loved ones. This is not a secret Masonic Lodge or an in- club, but a non-profit educational organization where everyone who is seriously thinking about long-term investments is welcome.

The Bogleheads® community was born in an online format as a forum topic Morningstar.com. In 2007 it was launched bogleheads.org/forum/index.php, completely free from paid advertising and from the influence of the financial industry. Since then, the popularity of the community has grown phenomenally, and the ideas of the Bogleheads® investment philosophy have spread far beyond the US.
Bogleheads®Wiki (https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page) and the Bogleheads®blog (https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/) were also launched.

All Bogleheads® projects, including ours, are managed by volunteers who are passionate about passive investment and have their own portfolios based on low-cost index funds. The Bogleheads® community is under the patronage of the John Bogle center for financial literacy, and all local chapters regularly inform the Board of Directors of their educative efforts.

Overall, the Bogleheads investment approach is quite simple. First, the investor decides about asset allocation in his or her portfolio. The proportions of assets are strictly individual and correspond to the investor's life goals and personal circumstances. A well-build portfolio reflects the compromise between return and risk. Not everyone is ready to invest 100% of their funds in stocks and see a temporary loss of capital of more than 50 percent.

Then the investor invests in those low-cost funds that fit optimally to their chosen strategy. At the same time, it uses all legal methods to reduce any costs: taxes, commissions, and annual funds service. Any Bogleheads® member understands the importance of regular savings and investments, broad portfolio diversification by asset class, and the need to clearly follow the investment plan.

Then time, patience, and the power of compound interest start working. By investing for a long period of time in those instruments that are ahead of inflation, by constantly adding to the portfolio, postponing tax payments, everyone can achieve financial independence or at least significant financial stability over time.

There is an opinion that only people with a high income should invest. This is not true. Everyone should invest, and it is wise to start doing so as early as possible. The more powerful the effect will be in 10 or 20 years. Yes, with a salary of 100,000 rubles or more, you can achieve your financial goals faster. But students who work as food delivery people will be able to form an excellent portfolio of MOEX funds with a yield significantly higher than bank deposits.

A special feature of the Bogleheads® community is that all new investors are welcome here. Residents of cities with millions of people, small towns and villages are treated with equal respect. Luminaries share their experience with newcomers for free and recommend the necessary books and resources. Now they have a level of life comfort that they would not be able to achieve by storing money in a glass jar or giving it to active managers. And once they also started from the beginning and now understand how important it is to get their priorities right from the start.

John Bogle, the creator of modern index funds, said this about the community: "Individually and collectively, the Bogleheads have come to passionately believe in Vanguard's mission of investment simplicity--economy, efficiency, asset allocation, widely-diversified portfolios of high quality and low cost, and, above all, a commonsense focus on the wisdom of long-term investing and the folly of short-term speculation".

John, being a dollar millionaire, remained very modest in everyday life and easy to communicate with. He never no difference people by the thickness of their wallets. Why didn't he become a billionaire? Because the cost of service in the company Vanguard he had founded was extremely low, and the company itself protected and is still protecting the interests of ordinary private investors. Naturally, John Bogle, who lived more than 90 years, was liked by everyone from young to old people. And this is also the key to the popularity of the Bogleheads® philosophy on the whole planet.

Regards,
bayview

Post by bayview »

This is wonderful! Best wishes to the newest chapter of Bogleheads. :sharebeer
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

Bayview, thank you very much for your good wishes

Successful investment according to the Bogleneads philosophy! :moneybag
bayview wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:59 pm This is wonderful! Best wishes to the newest chapter of Bogleheads. :sharebeer
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

UPDATE!

Аs of 25 september 2020, these sites have attracted over 1,700 followers.

✔️Telegram channel (https://t.me/russia_bogleheads) - > 1350 followers
✔️Group in VK (https://vk.com/russia_bogleheads) - > 170 followers
✔️Account in Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/russia_bogleheads) - > 120 followers
✔️Channel in Yandex.Zen (https://zen.yandex.ru/id/5f1c3565b646dd546e7dfd53) - > 60 followers

Two volunteers have joined Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter. They will help in writing articles and translating texts from English into Russian.

On September 24, we took part in the conference “Exchange-traded funds and ETFs on the Moscow Exchange”. We asked the speakers over 50 questions related to protecting the rights of investors, reducing commissions, expanding the range of index funds, and the transparency of the operation of management companies. We hope that we could make our modest contribution to the development of the Russian stock market.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This is very good news. Congratulations! :beer
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:04 pm This is very good news. Congratulations! :beer
Many thanks! :happy
I wish you all success in the development of Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

UPDATE!

Аs of 1 march 2021, these sites have attracted over 2,300 followers.

✔️Telegram channel (https://t.me/russia_bogleheads) - > 1800 followers
✔️Group in VK (https://vk.com/russia_bogleheads) - > 240 followers
✔️Account in Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/russia_bogleheads) - > 190 followers
✔️Channel in Yandex.Zen (https://zen.yandex.ru/id/5f1c3565b646dd546e7dfd53) - > 90 followers

Seven volunteers helped translate various articles from English into Russian or otherwise contributed to the Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter community.

On February 17, we took part in the online-conference “Asset Allocation”. (http://aa.invest-conf.ru/). We made a presentation on the topic: "Is it easy to be a passive investor in modern Russia?". We were delighted to educate people about the benefits of modern portfolio theory and the achievements of John Bogle. And gave some tips on how to put this knowledge into practice.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

YHOLMOGOROV wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 am UPDATE!

Аs of 1 march 2021, these sites have attracted over 2,300 followers.

✔️Telegram channel (https://t.me/russia_bogleheads) - > 1800 followers
✔️Group in VK (https://vk.com/russia_bogleheads) - > 240 followers
✔️Account in Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/russia_bogleheads) - > 190 followers
✔️Channel in Yandex.Zen (https://zen.yandex.ru/id/5f1c3565b646dd546e7dfd53) - > 90 followers

Seven volunteers helped translate various articles from English into Russian or otherwise contributed to the Russia Bogleheads Local Chapter community.

On February 17, we took part in the online-conference “Asset Allocation”. (http://aa.invest-conf.ru/). We made a presentation on the topic: "Is it easy to be a passive investor in modern Russia?". We were delighted to educate people about the benefits of modern portfolio theory and the achievements of John Bogle. And gave some tips on how to put this knowledge into practice.

Yuri and Edward:

Sorry I didn't see your thread until now but I'm thrilled to see the progress you've made. And happy to see that you're in very good hands with LadyGeek and Victoria assisting and providing guidance.

Perhaps someday I'll get to visit you and your group. Until then, continue on with your noble mission.

Best regards,

Mel Lindauer
Topic Author
YHOLMOGOROV

Post by YHOLMOGOROV »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:51 pm Yuri and Edward:

Sorry I didn't see your thread until now but I'm thrilled to see the progress you've made. And happy to see that you're in very good hands with LadyGeek and Victoria assisting and providing guidance.

Perhaps someday I'll get to visit you and your group. Until then, continue on with your noble mission.

Best regards,

Mel Lindauer
Mel, thank you for your attention to our thread, for your kind words and wishes.
We hope that more and more Russian investors will invest according to the bogleheads philosophy.
Best regards, Yuriy and Edward