Sad News - Paul Globerson has passed [in 2020]

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Sad News - Paul Globerson has passed [in 2020]

Post by Mel Lindauer »

It saddens me greatly to have to report the death of Boglehead Paul Globerson after a valiant several-year fight against a rare form of cancer.

While his name might not be as well known as some others, Paul contributed so very much behind the scenes. He was the first Treasurer of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy and a key member of my Bogleheads Conference team. He was also responsible for the success of the San Diego Local Chapter.

Over the course of our years working together on Boglehead matters, we became good personal friends with both Paul and his lovely wife, Linda, who also contributed greatly to the success of the Bogleheads Conferences.

We've lost a great Boglehead and I've lost a dear friend and valuable team member.

RIP, Paul. Say hi to Jack Bogle for us.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Emilyjane

Re: Sad News - Paul Globerson has passed

Post by Emilyjane »

Condolences.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I, too will miss Paul very much. He was a wonderful person and a very committed Boglehead.

Condolences to his wife Linda and may he Rest In Peace.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Sad news. Paul was a warm and wonderful person. His and Linda’s boundless energy and unyielding drive helped make the Bogleheads the great community it is today. RIP Paul.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Sorry to hear. Condolences to the family.
Allan Roth

Post by Allan Roth »

Paul was far more than the Bogle Center Treasurer. When he stepped down due to this awful cancer, his duties needed to be shared by many. While fighting this disease, he continued to spend time training us all and doing so with such a positive attitude. I can't believe how engaged he was.

I've admired Paul for some time but it really wasn't until the last year and half or so that realized just how much he has done to help the Bogleheads community and never wanted recognition for all of his brilliant work.

Linda, you and Paul fought a courageous fight. I'm so sorry for your loss.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

I'm so sorry to hear this.

My condolences to Linda, as well as to you Mel.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Such sad news. I'll miss working with him on the Bogleheads Conferences. He and Linda had become friends of mine over the years. He was smart, had boundless energy, always smiling, kept me on my toes on the total 'check-ins' at the Conferences and was just a person that made me feel better about life. He made a difference in my life and I will miss him. My heart is with Linda and their family as they navigate the sea of grief and sorrow.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Allan Roth wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:37 pm Paul was far more than the Bogle Center Treasurer. When he stepped down due to this awful cancer, his duties needed to be shared by many. While fighting this disease, he continued to spend time training us all and doing so with such a positive attitude. I can't believe how engaged he was.

I've admired Paul for some time but it really wasn't until the last year and half or so that realized just how much he has done to help the Bogleheads community and never wanted recognition for all of his brilliant work.

Linda, you and Paul fought a courageous fight. I'm so sorry for your loss.
As Allan correctly stated, it actually took three of us to split up the work that Paul was doing by himself prior to his cancer diagnosis.
kupuna

Post by kupuna »

We have lost a dear friend of our Bogleheads community. While Mel is the face of the Bogleheads Conferences, Paul was the heart. For years he tracked every penny, answered everyone's emails, did the registration and filled out all the required forms to keep us legal. When the conference was in San Diego, which him and Linda organized, he guaranteed everything on his personal credit card until we could collect the payments. His dedication to the Bogleheads community can't be matched. I really never understood how much he did until his diagnosis when I tried to fill his shoes. He handed over hundred of files and spreadsheets with every detail going back years, all the while he preferred to remain in the background. He was a dear friend who I respected immensely. He changed my life and will always be remembered.

Mel (TOM) Turner
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Paul and I lived on opposite sides of the continent but we had the same objective -- to help investors appreciate the character and the investing advice of our great mentor, Jack Bogle. For many years I looked forward to meeting Paul and Linda at our annual conferences--nearly always sitting at the same table. I never knew anyone who did so much with as little recognition as Paul. That's a real hero.

I wholeheartedly concur with Mel's message to Paul: "Say hi to Jack Bogle for us."

Linda: Taffy and I send you and your family our deepest sympathy. Jack's Words of Wisdom, below, are very appropriate.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "And despite the difficulties of the past three years here, I have a pretty good shot at leaving this orb, when the day comes, with my name and reputation intact. And that's terribly important to me."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Foredeck

Post by Foredeck »

Thank you Paul for all you've given to the Boglehead community.

My condolences for Paul's family.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I didn’t know him, but am sad to hear of his passing. It sounds like he did so much to help so many, including me, without their knowledge. That's a special person, indeed.

My condolences to all of his family and friends.

JT
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

God bless.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
WealthConstructor

Post by WealthConstructor »

Sad to hear, condolences to his family.
Norris

Post by Norris »

Many fellow Bogleheads have been blessed to have known Paul and other selfless volunteers. May he rest in peace and condolences to his family.

Norris
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Condolences.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Often people who do the most prefer the shadows. Sounds like he was like that. Sorry to hear he has passed on.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Really sorry for your loss. I didn’t know him personally, but he seemed like a wonderful person! RIP sir!
RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG »

I met Paul and Linda at my first Bogleheads conference. They immediately took me under their wing and made me feel comfortable and welcome.

I was saddened to hear that Paul has passed. Linda was an amazing wife and was always at his side whenever I called over the last 18 months. We will all miss his calm demeanor and warm friendship. May he rest in peace.

Roosevelt G.
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

Mel, what a lovely tribute! I wish I'd known Paul; he clearly was a man who shared Mr. Bogle's values and more importantly, LIVED true to them. My sincere condolences to all who had the privilege of knowing him.
As is so often the case, Mr. Larimore said it best (my emphasis added):
Taylor Larimore wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:25 pm Bogleheads:

Paul and I lived on opposite sides of the continent but we had the same objective -- to help investors appreciate the CHARACTER and the investing advice of our great mentor, Jack Bogle. For many years I looked forward to meeting Paul and Linda at our annual conferences--nearly always sitting at the same table. I never knew anyone who did so much with as little recognition as Paul. That's a real hero.

I wholeheartedly concur with Mel's message to Paul: "Say hi to Jack Bogle for us."
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "And despite the difficulties of the past three years here, I have a pretty good shot at leaving this orb, when the day comes, with my name and reputation intact. And that's terribly important to me."
P.S. Mr. Larimore, I wasn't familiar with the above quote from Jack, and I love it. I've shared that value/goal, and I've done my best to live consistently with it. I'd be grateful if you'd kindly share via PM or publicly where/when our mentor uttered it. Thank you!
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Sorry to hear
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Taylor Larimore

Message from Jack

Post by Taylor Larimore »

SoAnyway wrote: Mr. Larimore, I wasn't familiar with the above quote from Jack, and I love it. I've shared that value/goal, and I've done my best to live consistently with it. I'd be grateful if you'd kindly share via PM or publicly where/when our mentor uttered it. Thank you!
SoAnyway:

This is the source of the quote from Jack:

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... nvSeq=3739

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "There is a critical difference between designing a product that sells, and creating an investment that serves."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy »

Sorry to hear this, Condolences and prayers to his family and friends. May he Rest In Peace.

++
Mel Lindauer wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:23 pm RIP, Paul. Say hi to Jack Bogle for us.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Message from Jack

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:09 am
SoAnyway wrote: Mr. Larimore, I wasn't familiar with the above quote from Jack, and I love it. I've shared that value/goal, and I've done my best to live consistently with it. I'd be grateful if you'd kindly share via PM or publicly where/when our mentor uttered it. Thank you!
SoAnyway:

This is the source of the quote from Jack:

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... nvSeq=3739

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "There is a critical difference between designing a product that sells, and creating an investment that serves."
I have always fond Jack Bogle's advice and quotes very helpful. In times of market trauma and uncertainty Jack's message shine's through.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Tiekoon

Post by Tiekoon »

Oh, such sad news! Paul started our San Diego Boglehead community and think I was one of his earliest recruits! He had posted a query on the old Morningstar forum testing interest in local chapter of Bogleheads. After passing a few emails, we met at Paul’s house, where his wife Linda served up delicious cookies.

The cookies were wonderful, but it was Paul’s infectious enthusiasm for all things Jack Bogle that won me over. Over many years of stock market dabbling and investing, Bogle had risen to number one on my guru list, so Paul and I shared a common interest. The rest is history, Bogleheads have grown into huge positive force for investors and anyone wanting to broaden their financial knowledge. Paul was a delightful person, who was always more than happy to share his investing knowledge. Especially to the novice! I am very fortunate to have known him!

Paul was a lion in the Boglehead community and will be missed by all of us. We can take comfort in knowing Paul is at peace now and enjoying endless “Fireside Chats” with his mentor, Mr. Bogle.

RIP my friend...
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Tiekoon wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:44 pm Oh, such sad news! Paul started our San Diego Boglehead community and think I was one of his earliest recruits! He had posted a query on the old Morningstar forum testing interest in local chapter of Bogleheads. After passing a few emails, we met at Paul’s house, where his wife Linda served up delicious cookies.

The cookies were wonderful, but it was Paul’s infectious enthusiasm for all things Jack Bogle that won me over. Over many years of stock market dabbling and investing, Bogle had risen to number one on my guru list, so Paul and I shared a common interest. The rest is history, Bogleheads have grown into huge positive force for investors and anyone wanting to broaden their financial knowledge. Paul was a delightful person, who was always more than happy to share his investing knowledge. Especially to the novice! I am very fortunate to have known him!

Paul was a lion in the Boglehead community and will be missed by all of us. We can take comfort in knowing Paul is at peace now and enjoying endless “Fireside Chats” with his mentor, Mr. Bogle.

RIP my friend...
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts. We do miss him.
tiresias

Post by tiresias »

Just heard this. I met him many years ago when I visited the San Diego chapter. He was very welcoming and helped me get reservations for my first annual Philadelphia conference. This is very sad news 😢
Last edited by tiresias on Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~ when dumb money acknowledges its limitations, it ceases to be dumb ~~~
logiclife

Post by logiclife »

Condolences!!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the US Chapters forum (community).

FYI - This thread was bumped from 2020.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

Paul and I met at my first bogleheads conference in 2007. Paul and his wife worked and helped made future conferences successful. A true gentlemen in every sense of the word. RIP, my friend. My condolences to his family and friends.
Jesse
PapaNinja

Post by PapaNinja »

Condolences to the family