Is there a U.K bogleheads Chapter??

Non-US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
LongTermInvestor88

Is there a U.K bogleheads Chapter??

Post by LongTermInvestor88 »

Hi all

Just wondering if there is a U.K bogleheads chapter? Or easier way to gain advise and hopefully assist each other. I'm new to investing via Vanguard UK and sold on Boglehead guide to investing and read Common Sense investing but am not finding it easy to set up or decide on portfolio design with the choice of funds available within Vanguard U.K. Any help appreciated
Mel Lindauer

Re: Is there a U.K bogleheads Chapter??

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Let's see if we get some responses to your thread. If we get five or more who want to establish a Local Chapter and one of you wants to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, then let me know and I'll get your group established and put your contact info on the Local Chapters map so others can find and contact you.

We currently have non-US Chapters in Paris, Dubai, Hong Kong and Taiwan and it would be nice to get one established in the UK as well.

Good luck!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
LongTermInvestor88

Thanks Mel
matthx

Post by matthx »

Count me In!
warthog01

Post by warthog01 »

I'd like to be included as well. Thanks
AverageJay

Post by AverageJay »

Hi all,

I’ve just joined and have just gon through the motions of adjusting my pension portfolio to try and maximise potential for the future.

Interested and excited to learn more and what the forum has to offer, from south UK originally but in Scotland now.

Cheers
pb33

Post by pb33 »

Hi All,

I would like to be included. Is that 5 of us now :happy
UKFred

Post by UKFred »

And me!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

All we need now is for one of you to agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. That person doesn't have to be an investing guru. Rather, the Coordinator simply communicates with the other members about meeting dates, locations, times, etc. That communication can take place right here on this thread.

If you're willing to become the Chapter Coordinator, just PM me and we'll get your group up and running and add your group to the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

Best regards,

Mel
FailedTheTuringTest

Post by FailedTheTuringTest »

I thought the UK Bogleheads chapter was called Monevator! :happy I'm a newbie here but happy to participate.
UKFred

Post by UKFred »

Has anyone volunteered to be the coordinator?
M6WIQ

Post by M6WIQ »

I'm also interested in this.

Currently located in Lancashire. Anyone nearby?
-- | Please Phone after 6PM when I have gone home.
dc-learning

Post by dc-learning »

Hello - just joined - and based in Scotland.

Question/comment - I can understand the need for a coordinator to establish a chapter - but is it essential to get a UK dedicated forum area established on the site? I'm guessing there are a limited number of UK users but difficult to tell, as the site membership list does not display any details on user country/location.

The few that have expressed interest on this thread probably dispersed across UK and any face-to-face meetings potentially unlikely and therefore I'm assuming most exchanges likely to be through forum only.

Have recently setup my first Vanguard UK account and fund and now considering next steps. Currently have a small portfolio of both 'passive' (Vanguard) and 'active' (an historical IFA relationship) - so keen to learn from others before taking next steps on my own.
rgb73

Post by rgb73 »

Me too, based in Cardiff.
Free@48

Post by Free@48 »

UK too, near Derby. Hello everyone!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Are there enough UK members from any one area to establish a Local Chapter that would meet in person? If not, we do have a Virtual Local Chapter that meets online. The time difference might be a factor, though.

Use this link and scroll down to Local Chapter #73 for more info.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 999999&z=8
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Are there enough UK members from any one area to establish a Local Chapter that would meet in person? If not, we do have a Virtual Local Chapter that meets online. The time difference might be a factor, though.

Use this link and scroll down to Local Chapter #73 for more info.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 999999&z=8
We also have a thread on the Virtual On-Line Chapter :D viewtopic.php?f=9&t=126449-Virtual On-Line Chapter
dc-learning

Post by dc-learning »

Re these virtual conferences for Chapter 73 and the time difference with UK members - do you ever record them live and then post a link to allow others to view the recording after the event?

I believe Webex or alternatives allow screen and voice recording real-time and subsequent sharing by linking to the saved recording file - if the file is located in an appropriate internet location that others can easily access afterwards.

Is such a thing possible?
nacv2016

Post by nacv2016 »

Interested and following from Cardiff
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

I would like to see a dedicated U.K. section in the forum.

I’m based in Scotland.
bhradbh

Post by bhradbh »

Recently repatriated to the UK after 24 years in the US. Based in North Yorkshire.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Looks like there's enough interest to get a UK Local Chapter up and running. All we need now is for one of you to step up and agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. If you're interested in making this happen, PM me and we'll get your group established.

The Local Chapter Coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru. Rather, he/she simply coordinates with the other members about meeting dates, locations, etc.

Let me hear from one of you so we can make this happen.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:52 am Looks like there's enough interest to get a UK Local Chapter up and running. All we need now is for one of you to step up and agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. If you're interested in making this happen, PM me and we'll get your group established.

The Local Chapter Coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru. Rather, he/she simply coordinates with the other members about meeting dates, locations, etc.

Let me hear from one of you so we can make this happen.
Hi Mel, do you think there are enough U.K. forum members for a U.K. forum section?

I would love to see this.
Topic Author
LongTermInvestor88

Thanks Mel for advice. I personally would really like to see a U.K forum section too. I think this would be a great starting point for U.K investors for help and advice for U.K specific fund choices/taxes etc. I think this would be very likely to grow the community and then the possibility of U.K as a whole or regional chapters would be more likely to develop. At the moment it does seems like our members are dispersed throughout the U.K
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LongTermInvestor88 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:50 am Thanks Mel for advice. I personally would really like to see a U.K forum section too. I think this would be a great starting point for U.K investors for help and advice for U.K specific fund choices/taxes etc. I think this would be very likely to grow the community and then the possibility of U.K as a whole or regional chapters would be more likely to develop. At the moment it does seems like our members are dispersed throughout the U.K
We don't have enough interest to start a UK section on the forum yet, but it appears we do have enough interest to form a UK Local Chapter. All I need is for one of you to agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. If you're willing, PM me and we'll make it happen.

In the beginning, you may decide to online video meetings if your members are too dispersed and it may develop into multiple chapters or even a UK section here on the forum if your group expands enough to justify it. But one step at a time. Let's get the UK Local Chapter up and running. Just waiting for someone to contact me via PM.
Topic Author
LongTermInvestor88

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:21 pm
LongTermInvestor88 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:50 am Thanks Mel for advice. I personally would really like to see a U.K forum section too. I think this would be a great starting point for U.K investors for help and advice for U.K specific fund choices/taxes etc. I think this would be very likely to grow the community and then the possibility of U.K as a whole or regional chapters would be more likely to develop. At the moment it does seems like our members are dispersed throughout the U.K
We don't have enough interest to start a UK section on the forum yet, but it appears we do have enough interest to form a UK Local Chapter. All I need is for one of you to agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. If you're willing, PM me and we'll make it happen.

In the beginning, you may decide to online video meetings if your members are too dispersed and it may develop into multiple chapters or even a UK section here on the forum if your group expands enough to justify it. But one step at a time. Let's get the UK Local Chapter up and running. Just waiting for someone to contact me via PM.
In all fairness Mel the logic fails me with this. I see more possiblity to help U.K members and grow the membership with a U.K related forum. A chapter and face to face meetings is fine but doesn't seem to be of the necessity that a focused forum does. Kind regards
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

LongTermInvestor88 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:30 pm

In all fairness Mel the logic fails me with this. I see more possiblity to help U.K members and grow the membership with a U.K related forum. A chapter and face to face meetings is fine but doesn't seem to be of the necessity that a focused forum does. Kind regards
While I don't disagree with you, the forum owner aid "No" when I brought up adding a UK section. He felt there wasn't enough interest and he has the final say.
Topic Author
LongTermInvestor88

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:26 pm

While I don't disagree with you, the forum owner aid "No" when I brought up adding a UK section. He felt there wasn't enough interest and he has the final say.
Ok Mel no problem :sharebeer
BelfastFlyer

Post by BelfastFlyer »

New UK member here, would love to be involved in the chapter!
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

I'd like to be involved in the chapter.

I'm in East Anglia.
JACKFROG

Post by JACKFROG »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:26 pm

I'm a new UK member and would also like to see a dedicated UK section,or at least be able to get information that's relevant to UK investors.

Kind Regards
wafflelvr

Post by wafflelvr »

Another UK member here. A UK Chapter would be good. A UK specific part of the forum would be even more useful
tubaleiter

Post by tubaleiter »

Another UK member here, interested in both the chapter and a forum section.
NorthernJon

Post by NorthernJon »

I'd definitely be interested. I can take much of the broad-stroke advice from Bogleheads, but something UK-specific would be great.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Looks like you've got four members who want to get together and form a UK Bogleheads Local Chapter group.

All you need to make that happen would be for one more person to say they're interested (five members minimum needed to form a Local Chapter). One of the five needs to agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator and can PM me with a first name and an email address that would be used for this purpose (suggest something like UKBogleheads@gmail.com) and I'll get your group set up.
Nitwit

Post by Nitwit »

Please include me as well. This will make it 5 ?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, we have the required minimum of five folks interested in forming a UK Bogleheads Local Chapter. Now all we need is for one of you to step up and agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. PM me with your first name and email address you'd use for this purpose if you're interested.
78C04J34B

Post by 78C04J34B »

did the UK chapter ever get started? any update?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

dc-learning wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 pm Re these virtual conferences for Chapter 73 and the time difference with UK members - do you ever record them live and then post a link to allow others to view the recording after the event?

I believe Webex or alternatives allow screen and voice recording real-time and subsequent sharing by linking to the saved recording file - if the file is located in an appropriate internet location that others can easily access afterwards.

Is such a thing possible?
At least in the UK one gets into legal issues. We have some quite strict rules at work about recording things -- everyone has to be warned etc.
maxInfo

Post by maxInfo »

78C04J34B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:27 am did the UK chapter ever get started? any update?
The way things work, I don't belive it did, no...

although it should have in my opinion
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

maxInfo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:42 pm
78C04J34B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:27 am did the UK chapter ever get started? any update?
The way things work, I don't belive it did, no...

although it should have in my opinion
All you need is five or more folks who are interested in establishing a Local Chapter and one of you has to agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. If someone wants to start a thread titled "UK Bogleheads Local Chapter?", go ahead and do so and we'll see if there's enough interest.
BornInCA

Post by BornInCA »

What happened to Robin Powell?

https://www.evidenceinvestor.com/about/