Singapore Local Chapter Established

Non-US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
w4rd

Singapore Local Chapter Established

Post by w4rd »

Anyone from Singapore around here?
There are all sorts of special challenges in SG and wondered if anyone else was based out here?
Cheers
Max.T

Re: Singapore?

Post by Max.T »

Hi W4rd,

I'm a Singaporean. Its a pity that i only stumble into this forum recently. Our financial landscape is indeed challenging, i believe we should stick together and work out a best possible option that are in accordance to the Bogleheads's philosophy.

:sharebeer
sillysaver

Post by sillysaver »

I've visited Singapore before. Beautiful country. I would imagine one of your foremost challenges is the high cost of property.

How is the air? Still suffering from forest fires?

We have some fires here in Austin today. I can barely breathe!
Max.T

Post by Max.T »

Hi Sillysaver,

Thank you. I hope you enjoy your stay here. Property price are indeed high. They recently fell a little due to control measure adopted by our government but i would think its affordable for us although the size of our new home does gets smaller as compared to those that were built years ago.

Forest fire are a yearly affair over here. Since our situation are predictable as in they only occur during the dry seasons, we got ourselves stock up with disposable mask that filters out the particular matter (well, most of it i guess).

I googled Austin, it seems like a nice city too. :D
hansel

Post by hansel »

Hi everyone! New investor based in Sg here. Wading through our limited options, confusing tax laws and other uniquely singaporean things have made me realise we should start a Singapore bogleheads chapter and attempt to come up with optimal solutions to our unique environment. Anyone up for this?
Mel Lindauer

Re: Singapore [Local Chapter Interest?]

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Sounds like there may well be enough interest to start a Local Bogleheads Chapter in Singapore. We currently have foreign chapters in Taiwan, Paris and Dubai, and Singapore would be a nice addition.

If someone wants to volunteer to be the Local Chapter coordinator, PM me with your name and email address and I'll add your group to the Local Chapters Map so others can find your group. The Chapter coordinator doesn't have to be an investing guru. Rather, the coordinator simply communicates with the other members about meeting dates, time, locations and topics for discussion. And this Local Chapters sub-forum can be used to communicate with other members and prospective members.

Hopefully someone will step forward and we'll be able to add Singapore to our growing list of foreign Local Chapters.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Recall a few years back reading the post from a group meeting in Singapore that was trying to follow the BH philosophy using locally available investments. They posted pictures of one of their meetings. Can search forum to find them. (My quick search did not immediately find post.)

If you do find the post, send poster a private message and ask to meet with the group.

Of if there is social media in Singapore, post a request to meet with the group.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

dratkinson wrote:Recall a few years back reading the post from a group meeting in Singapore that was trying to follow the BH philosophy using locally available investments. They posted pictures of one of their meetings. Can search forum to find them. (My quick search did not immediately find post.)

If you do find the post, send poster a private message and ask to meet with the group.

Of if there is social media in Singapore, post a request to meet with the group.
Perhaps you're thinking about the Taiwan group. They held a Conference and posted pics. In fact, the leader of that Local Chapter attended one of our Conferences in Philly a few years ago.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
dratkinson wrote:Recall a few years back reading the post from a group meeting in Singapore that was trying to follow the BH philosophy using locally available investments. They posted pictures of one of their meetings. Can search forum to find them. (My quick search did not immediately find post.)

Perhaps you're thinking about the Taiwan group. They held a Conference and posted pics. In fact, the leader of that Local Chapter attended one of our Conferences in Philly a few years ago.
That would explain why my search failed. Thanks.
Max.T

Post by Max.T »

hansel wrote:Hi everyone! New investor based in Sg here. Wading through our limited options, confusing tax laws and other uniquely singaporean things have made me realise we should start a Singapore bogleheads chapter and attempt to come up with optimal solutions to our unique environment. Anyone up for this?
Hi Hansel,

You are right. We should stick together and explore. Our Singapore Tax law are pretty straight forward in my opinion. i can help you to understand it if you ask me.

I have been actively searching for Blogleheads in Singapore and have found a handful. I am definitely up for this.
Mel Lindauer

Re: Singapore Local Chapter Established

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, it's official. We now have a Singapore Local Chapter. Max has agreed to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. Here's his contact info:

Email: maximillian.me@gmail.com
Name: Maximillian

I'm going to add your new group to the Local Chapters Map so others can contact you.

Good luck and best regards,

Mel
Max.T

Post by Max.T »

Dear SG Bogleheads,

i have integrate our local chapter with a facebook group who have the same idea thats in line with the Boglehead's philosophy and we have 300+ members at the moment.

The existing facebook group shall serve as a internet platform for asking questions about broker cost or technical issues. in addition, there are sharing on saving tips and hacks in our local context.

i shall keep an update posted here on the process of forming our local chapter.
smalkmus

Post by smalkmus »

Cool.

I am from singapore as well, and I am keen. :)
Max.T

Post by Max.T »

smalkmus wrote:Cool.

I am from singapore as well, and I am keen. :)
This is great! i am working on some presentation and considering a venue. Maybe our public library is a good place, but the problem is: no eating is allow!

i will keep you update. can you pm me your email? =D
swanthamsw

Post by swanthamsw »

Hi Max,

I am keen and has email to you. Hope to hear from you soon. I also just request to join the facebook group.

Thank you.
Max.T

Post by Max.T »

Hi ladies and gentlemen, sorry for the delay in organization this. I'll just put things into action. I would just like to have a feel on the number of responds which i will be having for our Local chapter Boglehead meeting over dinner. But i think at most i can accommodate 20 people so first come first serve.

Let just make it casual for all meet ups as this is not a marketing campaign; its more like for socializing's sake.
Please take some time to fill up this form. I will pin it here for a couple of weeks before i look at the results. We'll probably meet in July or August.

I'll see you soon!

https://www.google.com/url?hl=en&q=http ... 0k04BRgw3w
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Max.T wrote:Hi ladies and gentlemen, sorry for the delay in organization this. I'll just put things into action. I would just like to have a feel on the number of responds which i will be having for our Local chapter Boglehead meeting over dinner. But i think at most i can accommodate 20 people so first come first serve.

Let just make it casual for all meet ups as this is not a marketing campaign; its more like for socializing's sake.
Please take some time to fill up this form. I will pin it here for a couple of weeks before i look at the results. We'll probably meet in July or August.

I'll see you soon!

https://www.google.com/url?hl=en&q=http ... 0k04BRgw3w
Good luck to you and all the Singapore-area Bogleheads. Do keep us informed about your meetings.
Max.T

Post by Max.T »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Good luck to you and all the Singapore-area Bogleheads. Do keep us informed about your meetings.
Thanks Mel! :D
Max.T

Post by Max.T »

Hi folks, regarding the Local chapter Bogleheads meeting, i now have a list of around 18 people. It appears that most people prefer weekdays after office hour and to meet in the central.

I'll think of a venue and give you an update. I think we can set aside a budget of $30 each for dinner, probably less.

I'll update you guys through mobile from this point onwards. Think we can meet in late July. Let me know if you have any concerns.
hygge island

Post by hygge island »

Cool, glad to have found this forum. I submitted my preference/info via the google note Max had put up. Will be happy to join your meetups.
Let me know what's next. Cheers!
naanwar

Post by naanwar »

Did the meetup happen?
Eager to join and learn.
Viracocha

Post by Viracocha »

Hey guys,

This is Sebastien from Bogleheads UAE. I think we're operating in a similar manner to you guys.
I think it would be interesting to keep in touch given the similarities between SG and UAE investing approaches.

Here is the Bogleheads UAE Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/466644330175575/

What's yours?

Sebastien
Dextorious

Post by Dextorious »

Hi everyone,

I have just started to take a portion of my savings to invest in the STI.

Look forward to discuss and hear opinions of those who have more experience.

:beer
ishallnotwant

Post by ishallnotwant »

Hi everyone,

Good to know that we have a local chapter here in Singapore. May I know if the community is still active? Do you have a group page somewhere for your discussion? Looking forward to talk to you all. :D

Cheers,
Kev
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

Max.T wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:25 am Hi W4rd,

I'm a Singaporean. Its a pity that i only stumble into this forum recently. Our financial landscape is indeed challenging, i believe we should stick together and work out a best possible option that are in accordance to the Bogleheads's philosophy.

:sharebeer
I've been to your city/state several times. My favorite airport and I love the excellent food choices! Keep us posted on the progress of your local chapter!
No Where for Very Long...
illindalainvest

Post by illindalainvest »

Hi All
Is this chapter still active? I read elsewhere about a local facebook group..
Would love to join in
Regards
Harsha
sweester

Post by sweester »

SG Boglehead here. Is the chapter still active?
karan10489

Post by karan10489 »

Hi All

Fresh Boglehead here, is this chapter still running?

Regards
Karan
bubbasour

Post by bubbasour »

Hi not sure if the Singapore Chapter is alive, should we start a Facebook Page for the local community or what do you think?
NRA, Prefer VUAA/VUSD (VOO) and VWRD (VT), No capital gain tax.
karan10489

Post by karan10489 »

Hey thanks for the reply, would it be easier to setup a group chat on facebook or a page on this forum here? Not too sure of the effort involved or how many people would be keen. Feel like facebook would be crowded enough already with communities, what do you think?
bubbasour

Post by bubbasour »

Hi Karan, I just thought that it would be easier to access through mobile than the forum..
NRA, Prefer VUAA/VUSD (VOO) and VWRD (VT), No capital gain tax.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

bubbasour wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 am Hi Karan, I just thought that it would be easier to access through mobile than the forum..
Feel free to use this thread and this forum to communicate with each other. You can do that using your mobile device or your computer.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

bubbasour wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 am Hi Karan, I just thought that it would be easier to access through mobile than the forum..
Suggestion. If the Singapore chapter members would post here their preferred method of contacting each other, then potential new members may find you more quickly.

Why? It seems that sometimes the knowledge of the existence of a BH Singapore chapter is discovered here first after an internet search. But our only suggestion for helping them hook up with the Singapore chapter is to send a PM to existing members (who have identified themselves here) to learn how to get together with you.

Example. If the Singapore chapter's preferred method of staying in contact and publishing meetings is through FB, then a link here to your FB page should speed up the process of new members finding you.

Do whatever works best for you, but post here what that method is. So your potential new members, who here first learn of your existence, would then be able to contact you faster.

Idea. Maybe the Singapore chapter coordinator could update your chapter procedures, to update your public contact information here, when it changes. (If the Singapore BHs have a presence on multiple sites, then multiple updates would be required when your public contact information changes.)
Donut_man

Post by Donut_man »

Hi,

Anyone replaced their ABF Singapore Bond Index Fund with NikkoAM SGD IGBond ETF?
Rohinee

Post by Rohinee »

Guys,
New here...just joined infant. Do we have an up and running community / group ?
Would love to be a part of it!

Rohinee
dratkinson wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:12 pm
Suggestion. If the Singapore chapter members would post here their preferred method of contacting each other, then potential new members may find you more quickly.

Why? It seems that sometimes the knowledge of the existence of a BH Singapore chapter is discovered here first after an internet search. But our only suggestion for helping them hook up with the Singapore chapter is to send a PM to existing members (who have identified themselves here) to learn how to get together with you.

Example. If the Singapore chapter's preferred method of staying in contact and publishing meetings is through FB, then a link here to your FB page should speed up the process of new members finding you.

Do whatever works best for you, but post here what that method is. So your potential new members, who here first learn of your existence, would then be able to contact you faster.

Idea. Maybe the Singapore chapter coordinator could update your chapter procedures, to update your public contact information here, when it changes. (If the Singapore BHs have a presence on multiple sites, then multiple updates would be required when your public contact information changes.)

Post by avatarfire »

Is this chapter still alive?
karan10489

Post by karan10489 »

So it seems dratkinson, gave a great suggestion but we're all looking at it haha.

Is there an official coordinator for Singapore?

My view is given the spirit of openness in this forum we should post/exchange ideas here so others can benefit when they find the information that's relevant as opposed to taking the information off the forum into a closed platform.

I'm happy to volunteer and figure out how to set this up over the weekend if there are no objections/alternative suggestions from existing coordinators. We can add on maybe with a closed chat group if members want to get in touch offline
Thoughts?
Last edited by karan10489 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuantOfAsia

Post by QuantOfAsia »

I'll be back in Singapore 17-25 Sep and would like to meet like-minded members there. Happy to help organize something if needed.
RogerR

Post by RogerR »

Max.T wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:13 pm Dear SG Bogleheads,

i have integrate our local chapter with a facebook group who have the same idea thats in line with the Boglehead's philosophy and we have 300+ members at the moment.

The existing facebook group shall serve as a internet platform for asking questions about broker cost or technical issues. in addition, there are sharing on saving tips and hacks in our local context.

Dear Max.T
I would like to join the group and attend the kick-off meeting/dinner. We have been living in SG since 2010 and I’m now a retired investor (and Golfer/Fitness Enthusiast :P ). Tomorrow I will post my current portfolio with some notes to get some content discussion going. Cheers and looking forward meeting fellow BH‘s.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Non-US Chapters Bogleheads community forum (Local chapter).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
karan10489

Post by karan10489 »

Thank you LadyGeek!
karan10489

Post by karan10489 »

RogerR wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:18 am
Max.T wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:13 pm Dear SG Bogleheads,

Dear Max.T
I would like to join the group and attend the kick-off meeting/dinner. We have been living in SG since 2010 and I’m now a retired investor (and Golfer/Fitness Enthusiast :P ). Tomorrow I will post my current portfolio with some notes to get some content discussion going. Cheers and looking forward meeting fellow BH‘s.
Great! look forward to hearing and sharing :)
karan10489

Post by karan10489 »

QuantOfAsia wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:20 am I'll be back in Singapore 17-25 Sep and would like to meet like-minded members there. Happy to help organize something if needed.
I'd love to attend something as well, count me in! :)
karan10489

Post by karan10489 »

Donut_man wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:45 am Hi,

Anyone replaced their ABF Singapore Bond Index Fund with NikkoAM SGD IGBond ETF?
Sorry, just saw this. I still have ABF and I look at MBH as an add-on for higher yield since it consists of corporate bonds and by definition a little riskier than ABF which is mostly SG bonds or SG govt linked bonds
flowerpalms

Post by flowerpalms »

karan10489 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 am
Donut_man wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:45 am Hi,

Sorry, just saw this. I still have ABF and I look at MBH as an add-on for higher yield since it consists of corporate bonds and by definition a little riskier than ABF which is mostly SG bonds or SG govt linked bonds
Hi! Singaporean here and just joined this forum :oops:
My portfolio consists of ES3, MBH and IWDA
flowerpalms

Post by flowerpalms »

Hi everyone,

Dont really understand if as boglehead, you already have a 3 fund portfolio in place, why still look at other stocks?

Afterall our monthly investment will still go to the portfolio right?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Suggestion: The above information can be used to create a wiki page for Singapore investors.

Here's a menu of what we have now: Non-US domiciles

The article could be titled "Investing from Singapore".

If anyone would like to be a wiki editor and write the article yourself, please PM me.

Or, start a thread in the Non-US Investing forum with your suggestions and a wiki author (myself or another editor) will help you to create the article.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Prasanna

Post by Prasanna »

Hi,
Newbie investor here in Singapore. Is this Singapore forum active.? Any upcoming meet ups? There is a mention of facebook group in the conversations above but couldn’t find it on FB.
Would like to meet like minded bogleheads from Singapore.

PS: currently in the process of building my portfolio based on lessons from “the bogleheads guide to investing”, “all about asset allocation”, “asset allocation by Roger Gibson”
flowerpalms

Post by flowerpalms »

You can find me here, and for singapore context,look up this forum:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/mone ... 13566.html