Australian Chapter ?

Non-US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
duffman12

Australian Chapter ?

Post by duffman12 »

Is there any other Australian Bogleheads on the forum ?
"Greed may not be good, but it’s not so bad, either. People think greed is just for money and power. But everyone wants something they don’t have." | ChasingGains.org
Mel Lindauer

Re: Australian Chapter ?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Yes, there are lots of Aussie Bogleheads.

If five or more want to establish an Australian Local Chapter and one of you agrees to be the coordinator, just PM me and I'll get your group listed on the Local Chapter map so others can find you.

Good luck to our Australian Boglehead friends. Perhaps I'll be able to attend one of your future meetings.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
duffman12

Post by duffman12 »

Ok awesome thanks Mel !
I'll ask around :)
"Greed may not be good, but it’s not so bad, either. People think greed is just for money and power. But everyone wants something they don’t have." | ChasingGains.org
SurferD

Post by SurferD »

Hi Duffman, I would be interested in joining the Aussie chapter if you set one up
Samwell

Post by Samwell »

Aussie BH checking in, Long time lurker. I'm in favour of an Aussie chapter :thumbsup
Topic Author
duffman12

Post by duffman12 »

SurferD wrote:Hi Duffman, I would be interested in joining the Aussie chapter if you set one up
Samwell wrote:Aussie BH checking in, Long time lurker. I'm in favour of an Aussie chapter :thumbsup
Haven't set one up just yet, will do so this week !
SurferD

Post by SurferD »

duffman12 wrote:
SurferD wrote:Hi Duffman, I would be interested in joining the Aussie chapter if you set one up
Samwell wrote:Aussie BH checking in, Long time lurker. I'm in favour of an Aussie chapter :thumbsup
Excellent, looks forward to it
SurferD
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

duffman12 wrote:
Just send me a PM with your first name and an email address you want to use for this purpose. Also let me know what name you'd like to use (Australian Local Chapter) or some other name (Perth Local Chapter) or whatever you'd like to be called. Once I have that information, I'll add your group to the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you and you'll be in business.

Perhaps I'll attend one of your meetings at some later date when I finally make it to Australia.
Wansmith

Post by Wansmith »

Hi there, I am from Sydney Australia and am also interested. For the time being I'd advocate setting up an Australian Chapter in the first instance before splitting it up state by state.
Cheers
sydbogle

Post by sydbogle »

Hi all

I've been a Boglehead for several years but only new to this forum. Would be keen to join an Australian chapter. Cheers

sydbogle
sandwich_heavy

Post by sandwich_heavy »

I'm another Sydneysider - new to Bogleheads but have been roughly following his investment philosophy for a couple of years now.

Let me know if a Sydney/Australia-wide chapter starts up - I'd be eager to join up!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Well, we keep getting folks interested in getting an Australian Chapter going, but we still need someone to step up and agree to the the local chapter coordinator. Anyone interested? If so, PM me and we'll get your Local Chapter up and running.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Any more Sydneysiders hanging around? I know a couple more Boglehead sympathisers on other forums.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

Just going to bump this one :happy
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

The Falcon wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 pm Any more Sydneysiders hanging around? I know a couple more Boglehead sympathisers on other forums.
I'm a Sydneysider. But I think it is an uphill battle to make this forum anything but American-focused and you're better off trying to start an Australian equivalent somewhere else. (I think Canadians have their own equivalent, which is why we almost never see questions about RRSP here.)

While the basic idea of low costs, diversification, preferring index funds, and staying the course is universal, the actual concrete details are extremely US specific and the sheer number of Americans on this forum will always drown out non-American topics. (Which is fine, really.)
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

AlohaJoe wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 pm
The Falcon wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 pm Any more Sydneysiders hanging around? I know a couple more Boglehead sympathisers on other forums.
I'm a Sydneysider. But I think it is an uphill battle to make this forum anything but American-focused and you're better off trying to start an Australian equivalent somewhere else. (I think Canadians have their own equivalent, which is why we almost never see questions about RRSP here.)
Financial Wisdom Forum.

(linguistics: Registered Retirement Savings Plans "RRSPs" or "my RRSP". I don't think Canucks ever refer to it in the singular without a possessive. It's like Yorkshiremen say "time for bath" for "have a bath" and say "tea" for "dinner" -- they drop the indefinite articles on nouns. "Supper" is a word I have never heard an Englishperson use ;-).
While the basic idea of low costs, diversification, preferring index funds, and staying the course is universal, the actual concrete details are extremely US specific and the sheer number of Americans on this forum will always drown out non-American topics. (Which is fine, really.)
They invented the game. Canada has one of the highest cost funds markets I know of.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

The Falcon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:51 pm Just going to bump this one :happy
Andrew9999 is also, I believe, from the antipodean Dominions, living in SE Asia.
vish100

Post by vish100 »

Can Australians not invest in same funds that American do with a broker that deals in international securities/instruments? Is it safe?
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Stay tuned. We're currently in the midst of setting up Non-US country-specific sub forums. We already have a group from Spain and one from Dubai in the UAE. If there's enough interest, Australia and other countries can be added, too.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

vish100 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:45 am Can Australians not invest in same funds that American do with a broker that deals in international securities/instruments? Is it safe?
Not in retirement funds, generally. In taxable funds, yes. But why should they buy US funds when there are Australian funds available?
landrover

Post by landrover »

AlohaJoe wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:19 pm
vish100 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:45 am Can Australians not invest in same funds that American do with a broker that deals in international securities/instruments? Is it safe?
Not in retirement funds, generally. In taxable funds, yes. But why should they buy US funds when there are Australian funds available?
There are lots of funds available outside of Australia that don’t have equivalents within Australia. US vanguard has lots of products that have no equivalent within Vanguard Australia as well as lower expense ratios.
landrover

Post by landrover »

Another Australian (ex Sydney now in Vic) that would be interested in seeing an Aussie chapter...
peterxyz

Post by peterxyz »

checking in (Sydney)
Arun

Post by Arun »

hello guys

newbie to this forum - Aussie now resident in Singapore
did we get our Chapter going by now ?

if not lets just fix a date & place & physically meet up somewhere

cheers

Arun
jack93

Post by jack93 »

Another Aussie interested!

Cheers
Jack
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

If someone agrees to be the Local Chapter Coordinator, PM me and we'll get your Aussie Chapter up and running.
vish100

Post by vish100 »

Hi interested from Melbourne Australia
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Looks like there's plenty of interest in an Australian Local Chapter.

Who wants to be the Coordinator? Just send me a PM and we'll get your group going.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Amazing. Investing advice inspired by Mr. Bogle has no geographical boundaries. Moving around the globe.

Thank you Mr. Bogle.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Sestrooper

Post by Sestrooper »

Id be interested. Gold Coast
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Again, we have enough to get a Local Chapter up and running. All we need is for someone to step up and agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. That person doesn't have to be an investing guru. He/she simply communicates with members about meeting dates, times, locations and agendas.

Anyone interested in stepping up, please contact me via PM and I'll get your Local Chapter up and running. Would be good to have a Local Chapter in Australia to go along with all of our other international chapters.
Arun

Post by Arun »

Hi all

are we getting our Chapter going or not ?

As with everyone else , bit over the US centric posts & topics ..

please someone take the lead :)

aussie in Singapore
Gforce007

Post by Gforce007 »

vish100 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:45 am

Can Australians not invest in same funds that American do with a broker that deals in international securities/instruments? Is it safe?
Gidday evabody.

Hi Vish. Isn't Investing in S&P500 index doing this? One would simply trade an index via a trading platform, no? I'm with axi trader. Or am i on a different tram? Thanks and go well out there.