GCC Chapter? Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Saudi, Kuwait, Oman?

Non-US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
jenlinc2006

GCC Chapter? Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Saudi, Kuwait, Oman?

Post by jenlinc2006 »

Hi all,

I am interested in spearheading a GCC Boglehead chapter (I am located in Abu Dhabi, but realize most may be in Dubai). I am looking at the rules here I believe I need to post this then get at least five willing to join. I don't know about you, but I find the GCC to be particularly void of proper investment concern (how many expats through their retirement concerns out the window when they came, mistaking "no taxes" for meaning "luxury goods for all!"?)

If anyone here is in a GCC country, especially the UAE, and would be interested in forming a chapter, holding meet ups, and sharing ideas particularly to the unique situations in the Gulf, please respond. I am more than happy to be the chapter leader.
RevivedBogler

Re: GCC Chapter? Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Saudi, Kuwait, Oman

Post by RevivedBogler »

Thanks for the initiative. I would be delighted to participate (in Dubai perhaps most practical for me). Would also be good to have sub-groups with critical mass of people with similar tax regime concerns (i.e US, India, UK or etc).

I am particularly concerned with taxation in the US and India.
Last edited by RevivedBogler on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalergie

Post by Kalergie »

Same here. I'd be glad to be part of this. I live in Dubai.
Topic Author
jenlinc2006

Post by jenlinc2006 »

Glad to hear it. This could be quite an interesting group and I would like to seek some more GCC members. Feel free to ask any semi-Bogleheads if they'd like to be involved. Anyone else out there, Abu Dhabi/ Dubai?
Kalergie

Post by Kalergie »

Frankly, I've learnt that people in Dubai think more about blowing all their savings for party (and the brunches) than actually saving any cash for later. Never mind building a growing portfolio. What a shame. ;) I'd join the table even if it's just 3-4 people for now to get this thing going....

But please let's make sure no investment "advisors" slip in. :)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Let me know via PM when you get five interested folks. Provide me with a name for your Local Chapter and an email address that you'll use for this purpose. Once I have that information, I'll add your group to the Local Chapters Map so others can find you. In the meantime, you can continue to use this Local Chapters sub-forum to communicate with potential members.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

Kalergie wrote:Frankly, I've learnt that people in Dubai think more about blowing all their savings for party (and the brunches) than actually saving any cash for later. Never mind building a growing portfolio. What a shame. ;)
I was under the impression that people in Dubai invest a lot in real estate and gold.
Kalergie

Post by Kalergie »

I don't have any data to support it but I would guess the expats here are more invested in liquid commodities for their own consumption. :)
Viracocha

Post by Viracocha »

Hello,

I am interested in being part of the local chapter too. I am based in Dubai.

Cheers,
Viracocha
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Sounds like there's enough interest to get this Chapter going. If jenlinc2006 (or someone else who agrees to be the Local Chapter coordinator) will PM me with a name and email address you want to use for this purpose, I'll add your group and contact information to the Local Chapters Map so others can find and contact you.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... dg=feature
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
danclarkie

Post by danclarkie »

Hi, sorry came to the thread late.

I'm in Dubai, would love to be part of this :)
Viracocha

Post by Viracocha »

Hello everyone!

This is to let you know that we are organizing the first bogleheads meeting for the UAE chapter this weekend! This will be a good opportunity to share expat experiences and advice on implementing an effective index investing strategy.

We will meet in Dubai Marina on Saturday the 12 July 2014 for Iftar. If you are interested in joining, please PM me with your email address and I will add you to the mailing list.

Cheers,
Viracocha
Kalergie

Post by Kalergie »

How did the meeting go? Plenty of attendance? I'd love to join you guys at the next meeting. Are there any plans?
Viracocha

Re: GCC Chapter? Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Saudi, Kuwait, Oman?

Post by Viracocha »

Hello!

This is Sebastien from the UAE chapter of Bogleheads!
This is to let you all know that you can now find us on Facebook: "Common Sense Personal Finance and Investing - The UAE Bogleheads Chapter" (https://www.facebook.com/groups/466644330175575/)

We have organized a few very successful meetups so far and more are coming.

We have now lined up 4 events in Dubai for the coming months. The first one will be this week, and then it will be every 2 to 3 weeks.
- Dubai Meetup #2: "My experience with budgeting and saving in the UAE" by Ricardo on 24 of September 2016 at 4.30 PM in the Marina (more information will follow soon)
- Dubai Meetup #3: "How I track my money and forecast my wealth" by Sebastien on 8 of October 2016
- Dubai Meetup #4: "My experience with money and life" by Demos on 22 of October 2016
- Dubai Meetup #5: "My experience starting out on the journey of passive investing" by Hannah on 12 of November 2016

We are also organizing meetups in Abu Dhabi!

Please join the Facebook group for more details!

Sebastien