$300 Cashback on New Chase Freedom CC

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Jay69

$300 Cashback on New Chase Freedom CC

Post by Jay69 »

[$300 Cashback with New Chase Freedom Credit Card Approval After Spending $500 in 3 Months]

Just saw this over at Slickdeals, thought some of you may like it. Looks like its the second time they have done this.

I dont have this card, know nothing about them.

Slickdeal link
here

[info added and direct affiliate link removed - admin alex]
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
ddunca1944

Re: $300 Cashback with New Chase Freedom Credit Card Approva

Post by ddunca1944 »

I recently (in the last couple of months) took advantage of this. We already had a Chase Freedom card in my husband's name, but I figured I'd get one in my name and collect the $300. As soon as I had put $500 on the card, I had a reward of $300 which I had them deposit into my checking account.
Imbros

Post by Imbros »

I got the card in December and the $300 cashback showed up in my account 2 weeks ago. The only catch is spending $500 in the first 3 months of having the card, which is not very difficult thing to do even for a young single like me. Good deal.
There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth. -L. Tolstoy
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

I will say this is tempting, I dont need another card, but man thats an easy $300!

Like its to good to be true type of deal!
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

I also got a Freedom card too. Ever quarter they change the sectors that get 5% cash back (this quarter it is Gas and Amazon), but you have to actually sign up each quarter for the bonus. Little gotcha there!
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

PaddyMac wrote:I also got a Freedom card too. Ever quarter they change the sectors that get 5% cash back (this quarter it is Gas and Amazon), but you have to actually sign up each quarter for the bonus. Little gotcha there!

Discover card does the same thing, I have only signed up for one and its been thistimne around for gas.

I think for this $300 offer they will send you a 1099 I bet to. Better be ready to take some taxes off that $300.
Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep »

Sorry..I don't do credit cards.
mwm158

Post by mwm158 »

deleted
Last edited by mwm158 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Jay69 wrote:
PaddyMac wrote:I also got a Freedom card too. Ever quarter they change the sectors that get 5% cash back (this quarter it is Gas and Amazon), but you have to actually sign up each quarter for the bonus. Little gotcha there!

Discover card does the same thing, I have only signed up for one and its been thistimne around for gas.

I think for this $300 offer they will send you a 1099 I bet to. Better be ready to take some taxes off that $300.
I have done a couple of these and never got a 1099 for a Credit Card REBATE. I have done it for Checking and Savings accounts and have received 1099 for those (and was warned at the time that they would send me (and the IRS) a 1099).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
bru

Post by bru »

Rob54keep wrote:Sorry..I don't do credit cards.
Seems non Boglehead-ish. IMHO as long as you pay off the balance every month CCs can be a very useful tool.

I have three. I arranged to have my statement closing dates about 10 days apart. So I can charge something and typically not have to pay it until around 55 days later. That way my money can be working for me, very Boglehead-ish. And then there is cash back. Free money. I just requested a $50 check from one of my cards.
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

IMHO as long as you pay off the balance every month CCs can be a very useful tool.
I quite agree. We put nearly all of our monthly expenses (gas, groc, misc) on either our Chase rewards or Costco Amex card. The money to pay them off sits in our high interest checking account (earning 2.5%) until the payment is due. Then we pay the cards off in full just before the due date. I let the cash rewards accumulate and use them to fund my Christmas spending.
mahkceb88

Post by mahkceb88 »

2.5% interest?? Where? My "high interest" account has 0.55% and I was just upgraded to Bank of America's "Advantage" checking account with 0.05% interest!!! Do share which bank you are using please!!
Rich0123

Post by Rich0123 »

is this $300 cashback taxable?
exeunt

Post by exeunt »

Excellent. I love these free cash deals.
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

bru wrote:
Rob54keep wrote:Sorry..I don't do credit cards.
Seems non Boglehead-ish. IMHO as long as you pay off the balance every month CCs can be a very useful tool.
I agree wholeheartedly (with the second part of that statement), but if I've learned anything here it's that attitudes towards debt are intensely personal and frequently strong. We all have to do what we're comfortable with and what helps us "sleep through the night".

For me, the best things about credit cards aren't rewards, or even long times between purchase and payment to take advantage of float - it's the fact that they are financial firewalls of sorts, help to buffer my cash flow and simplify my banking transactions. I don't mind the rewards and all else being equal, optimize my spending to take advantage of them - but they're an extra.

-janet
Last edited by interplanetjanet on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

Rich0123 wrote:is this $300 cashback taxable?
Credit card rewards (including opening bonuses) are not taxable. Bonuses for opening checking/savings accounts ARE taxable.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Did you get an "instant approval" on this offer? I've usually gotten one from past offers but this time received a "pending" response.
mwm158

Post by mwm158 »

deleted
Last edited by mwm158 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

mahkceb88 wrote:2.5% interest?? Where? My "high interest" account has 0.55% and I was just upgraded to Bank of America's "Advantage" checking account with 0.05% interest!!! Do share which bank you are using please!!
Probably a "reward" account, which requires some efforts like using debit cards regularly. Here's an example list, hit page down once or twice: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/775437/

With no effort each month, you can get a slightly better rate than you have now. Here's a list: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/783099/
Alliant CU has very good reputation, 1% rate recently, usually one of the 5 or 10 best over the last several years, nice features. For example, one of the early online banks to allow you to scan in checks from home to deposit. To join you can become a member of a PTA for about $10 or 20, there should be info in the link, or google or the CU could help you.
Ally and Capital One also get good reviews. Capital One might have branches near you.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Thanks Jay for the tip. I was instantly approved and am looking forward to the rebate.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Colorado13 wrote:Thanks Jay for the tip. I was instantly approved and am looking forward to the rebate.

You are most welcome, I have yet to pull the trigger myself!
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

I was instantly approved this morning! Can I charge dental work, eye exams etc. to meet the $500 spending requirement, or must they be actual purchases of items?
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Jay69 wrote:

They dont. Its rewards points worth $300 not $ check. Its the best along with Discover in terms of CB
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

SSSS wrote:
Rich0123 wrote:is this $300 cashback taxable?
Credit card rewards (including opening bonuses) are not taxable. Bonuses for opening checking/savings accounts ARE taxable.
That is not correct, the opening bonuses are taxable.
I got a 1099 from Citi for an opening bonus on a Citi Thankyou Premier card I opened last year.
This isn't the first time I get one, also.

What's not taxable is the cash back rewards, as they are technically refunds on your purchases.
jpark1982

Post by jpark1982 »

cheapedy wrote:I was instantly approved this morning! Can I charge dental work, eye exams etc. to meet the $500 spending requirement, or must they be actual purchases of items?
As long as it's a valid charge it should count. Just make sure there's no surcharge to d so. I know some places around me which tell you they won't charge you tax if you pay on cash but if you pay with credit they'll charge you tax.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

The only issue I have with Credit Cards is you can't pay rent, utilities, mortgage, student loans, or any loans without getting hit with a high fee. They are great if you pay all of your regular bills, pay the cc bill in full every month. Questions: Curious how using 3 cards with bill dates every 10 days gets you 50+ days of interest free spending? Also, besides $300 free credit, any other cards with superior ash back besides this, Discover 5%, and Fidelity 2%?
2sls

Post by 2sls »

This might be one of the better upfront cash bonus deals recently- but there are "better" credit card signup bonuses deals if the bonus is all you care about. Chase generally doesn't allow you to have more than 3 or 4 of their branded cards and they also have the best bonus awards so in general I would be more picky with the bonuses.
The cards that would give you better value would be Chase Sapphire Preferred which gives you roughly 52k bonus points which is equivalent to over $700 in travel dollars or minimally $500 in cash. It does have a $3000 spending requirement though but it itself has a cashback bonus that's as competitive as Chase Freedom.

As someone who has done 10+ credit card deals for churning bonuses this isn't that great- but it's certainly better than nothing and worthwhile if you are new to the bonus game.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

MortgageOnBlack wrote:The only issue I have with Credit Cards is you can't pay rent, utilities, mortgage, student loans, or any loans without getting hit with a high fee. They are great if you pay all of your regular bills, pay the cc bill in full every month. Questions: Curious how using 3 cards with bill dates every 10 days gets you 50+ days of interest free spending? Also, besides $300 free credit, any other cards with superior ash back besides this, Discover 5%, and Fidelity 2%?

Are you sure about Utilities? When I signed up for autopayment with Century Link a few years ago you could have had it pulled from a card. Could have been a extra charge but I did not see one. I think I can have my insurance pulled from a card to as well.

I just use the cards for the everyday items
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

Jay69 wrote:
MortgageOnBlack wrote:The only issue I have with Credit Cards is you can't pay rent, utilities, mortgage, student loans, or any loans without getting hit with a high fee. They are great if you pay all of your regular bills, pay the cc bill in full every month. Questions: Curious how using 3 cards with bill dates every 10 days gets you 50+ days of interest free spending? Also, besides $300 free credit, any other cards with superior ash back besides this, Discover 5%, and Fidelity 2%?

Are you sure about Utilities? When I signed up for autopayment with Century Link a few years ago you could have had it pulled from a card. Could have been a extra charge but I did not see one. I think I can have my insurance pulled from a card to as well.

I just use the cards for the everyday items
I pay our phone, internet, DirecTV and cell phone bill through Century Link. It automatically goes on my Chase card and there is no fee (believe me, I read each bill carefully). In addition, I get a $5 discount for each bill that is bundled, so a total savings of $20/mo, plus the cash rewards.
pshonore

Re: $300 Cashback on New Chase Freedom CC

Post by pshonore »

Just got the offer today. Did notice the small print with the $300 offer
This one-time bouus offer is valid only for first-time cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and exisitng cardmembers/accounts are not eligible
So if you've got a Chase Rewards (or had one) you're probably out of luck. That lets me out
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

pshonore wrote:So if you've got a Chase Rewards (or had one) you're probably out of luck. That lets me out
I believe you are only out if you have a Chase Freedom card, if you have/had some other rewards card that does not make you ineligible for a bonus for signing up for a different card from the same bank...at least that has been my experience in taking advantage of sign-up bonuses.
capemaydiamond

Post by capemaydiamond »

Jay69 wrote:[$300 Cashback with New Chase Freedom Credit Card Approval After Spending $500 in 3 Months]

Just saw this over at Slickdeals, thought some of you may like it. Looks like its the second time they have done this.

I dont have this card, know nothing about them.

Slickdeal link
here

[info added and direct affiliate link removed - admin alex]
I just clicked on the link and only saw a $100 cash back Chase Freedon card. Is this still available? If so, would someone please post the link to it? Thank you.
Visitor

Post by Visitor »

I applied last week and the offer showed the $300 bonus but received the card today and don't see any mention of the offer in the agreement.

Can someone tell me where the cash back bonus is located? Thanks!
Visitor

Post by Visitor »

OK I called and talked to a Chase Rep and was told my card qualifies for the cash back bonus...strange there is no mention in the card agreement info though.

To the poster who asked if the $300 cash back offer is still available, I don't see it being offered right now. Anyone have info on this?
tonsofthorns

Post by tonsofthorns »

My AARP card just ran out so I applied for this card. Although I was not instantly approved, I will call the backdoor number and speak to a credit analyst at 888-245-0625. I did this previously and they transferred my chase Southwest card to my AARP, hope it works again with this card. Good luck

Here is the link for the $300 bonus that I used: https://applynowdc1.chase.com/FlexAppWe ... ?SPID=DN52
capemaydiamond

Post by capemaydiamond »

Thanks for posting that link.
dikindu

Post by dikindu »

I'm very interested in getting a rewards card but I've only ever gotten
credit cards from my local bank. There's no chase bank here
how easy is it to get the credit card balances paid online?
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

how easy is it to get the credit card balances paid online?
I have two rewards cards that I use (the Chase Freedom and the Costco Amex). Both are very easy to pay online (that is the only way I pay). You give them your bank info (the routing number and the account #) and when you want to pay, click on the appropriate button. They walk you through the rest of it. I use their automatic payment option.
dikindu

Post by dikindu »

Exactly what I wanted to know thanks
Guess Ill be ordering this card today
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

I prefer to push my payment to the CC from my bank (bill pay)
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

April is the start of Chase's next cash back program rewards quarter and 5% will be earned on groceries (forget the other categories). It's easy to buy a $500 grocery gift card. Make certain you are enrolled in the current cash back rewards program or you will only get 1% cash back on the grocery gift card.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

dratkinson wrote:April is the start of Chase's next cash back program rewards quarter and 5% will be earned on groceries (forget the other categories). It's easy to buy a $500 grocery gift card. Make certain you are enrolled in the current cash back rewards program or you will only get 1% cash back on the grocery gift card.
Ok, I will bite, why buy a $500 grocery gift card to buy grocerys when you get 5% by using the credit card for grocerys. What am I missing.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Jay69 wrote:
dratkinson wrote:April is the start of Chase's next cash back program rewards quarter and 5% will be earned on groceries (added: and movie theaters). It's easy to buy a $500 grocery gift card. Make certain you are enrolled in the current cash back rewards program or you will only get 1% cash back on the grocery gift card.
Ok, I will bite, why buy a $500 grocery gift card to buy grocerys when you get 5% by using the credit card for grocerys. What am I missing.
For those worried about it, it satisfies in one purchase the requirement to spend $500 in 3 months to get the $300 bonus. (The quarter reward limit is paid on a maximum of $1500 in purchases.)

(Added) The gift card purchase also qualifies for the 5% cash back, so you lose nothing. (I've done this several times.)

This year I plan to time my King Soopers gift card purchases to maximize my fuel purchase discounts. Here, we can get up to $1 off per gallon by combining our grocery purchases with our King Soopers discount card. Spending $1K in a rolling 2-month period will get me the $1/gallon discount.

(Added) A cash back quad-fecta.

$300 cash back from Chase. Buy a $1.5K King Soopers gift card (or whatever is appropriate for your normal grocery shopping. Store policy may require sale to be 3x $500 gift cards) using your KS discount card and paid for with your new Chase CC. (This will max out Chase category; Chase CC is now a 1% cash back CC for quarter remainder. Begin using your gift card to buy your groceries.)

KS discount card DOUBLE bonus. Your KS gift card purchase qualifies as activity on your KS discount card for gasoline purchase discounts. When you then pay for your groceries using your KS gift card, that activity also counts as activity on your KS discount card for gasoline purchase discounts. It is a double bonus. If you time a $500 KS gift card purchase/consumption right, it becomes $1K in KS discount card purchase activity to satisfy below $1 discount requirement. (Could do this every month of the Chase 5% quarter to maximize that bonus. Or every month of the year to maximize the KS discount card gasoline discount bonus.)

$1/gallon discount on gas purchase. $1K spent on your KS discount card in a rolling 2-month period qualifies you for this discount when you purchase fuel from KS using your KS discount card (not from Shell!, only .10-discount applies at Shell when using your KS discount card). As $1 discount only applies to ONE purchase, bring your fleet/empty gas cans and refill all a once.

5% cash back on gasoline. Pay for gasoline purchase with a PenFed CC (at the pump, not paid inside). Or if you time above rolling 2-month period to cover July, you can pay for gasoline purchase using your new Chase CC (July 5% categories: gasoline and restaurants).

Submitted for what it is worth.
Last edited by dratkinson on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

dratkinson wrote:
Jay69 wrote:
dratkinson wrote:April is the start of Chase's next cash back program rewards quarter and 5% will be earned on groceries (forget the other categories). It's easy to buy a $500 grocery gift card. Make certain you are enrolled in the current cash back rewards program or you will only get 1% cash back on the grocery gift card.
For those worried about it, it satisfies in one purchase the requirement to spend $500 in 3 months to get the $300 bonus. (The quarter reward limit is paid on a maximum of $1500 in purchases.)

This year I plan to time my King Soopers gift card purchases to maximize my fuel purchase discounts. Here, we can get up to $1 off per gallon by combining our grocery purchases with our King Soopers discount card. Spending $1K in a rolling 2-month period will get me the $1/gallon discount.

Submitted for what it is worth.

Now that makes sense, I like the $1.00/gallon is a great deal!
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

dratkinson wrote:
Jay69 wrote:
I just discovered the magic of gift cards for such purposes recently, heavily using Costco gift cards to meet a $3000 spending requirement for a different Chase card. Plus we double dipped on this offer, with a lag of about a month, so we will need to charge $6000 in about 4 months on the two cards. A bit of a hassle, but we will get $1350 towards airfare as a result.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I had received the Chase offer back a few months ago. I sent it in, but it was rejected because Chase had converted my old rewards card to a Freedom. This annoyed me. Then this month I received a letter from Chase apologizing and telling me that they had made a credit to my account. Checking it, I found that they had credited my rewards points with the $300 worth. Yay.

Brian
bru

Post by bru »

Default User BR wrote:I had received the Chase offer back a few months ago. I sent it in, but it was rejected because Chase had converted my old rewards card to a Freedom. This annoyed me. Then this month I received a letter from Chase apologizing and telling me that they had made a credit to my account. Checking it, I found that they had credited my rewards points with the $300 worth. Yay.

Brian
Wow. Like you I know many of us were automatically converted to Freedom from Rewards. I guess the key for you was getting the offer. But it makes me wonder why if they had converted your Rewards to Freedom (like they did for me and others) why you got the offer at all? Maybe I should have just applied online and then played dumb.

Anyone else who got converted want to see if they can get the $300?
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

Wow. Like you I know many of us were automatically converted to Freedom from Rewards. I guess the key for you was getting the offer. But it makes me wonder why if they had converted your Rewards to Freedom (like they did for me and others) why you got the offer at all? Maybe I should have just applied online and then played dumb.

Anyone else who got converted want to see if they can get the $300?
Not me personally, but slickdeals is full of replies with people that just called in and asked to be "converted" or even asked to bumped up from the $150 to $300 initial offer and it was done.
saied45

Post by saied45 »

does anyone know if pulling a cash advance count toward those dollars. i recently bought my cruise tickets and wished i used this card. now i have nothing to spend. im thinking of just pulling 500 and putting it in my savings account. and then just pay it in full next month. anyone know if this can be done
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I recall reading on the rules for the Chase Sapphire bonus that cash advances would not count, so I would assume that is the case for Freedom as well.

As mentioned above gift cards do work, so you could get $500 worth of those for places where you will eventually spend money anyway, such as grocery store, gas station, etc.