Attaching pdf documents to TurboTax

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
saver1

Attaching pdf documents to TurboTax

Post by saver1 »

Does anyone know if it is possible to import or attach pdf documents into your TurboTax return? I need to attach some supporting documents to my tax return for 2021 and I can't find a way to do this. I would prefer to file my return electronically so it will be processed faster rather than mailing it in.

Thank you!
Doctor Rhythm

Re: Attaching pdf documents to TurboTax

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

saver1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:33 pm Does anyone know if it is possible to import or attach pdf documents into your TurboTax return? I need to attach some supporting documents to my tax return for 2021 and I can't find a way to do this. I would prefer to file my return electronically so it will be processed faster rather than mailing it in.

Thank you!
I don’t think it’s possible. As far as I know, TT isn’t transmitting images of the forms — just the data (numbers & text) entered or calculated.

You might ask the forum whether your attachment is actually needed. I used to print and mail my taxes because of a letter I attached each year. Eventually I decided the letter wasn’t needed.
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:57 pm
saver1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:33 pm Does anyone know if it is possible to import or attach pdf documents into your TurboTax return? I need to attach some supporting documents to my tax return for 2021 and I can't find a way to do this. I would prefer to file my return electronically so it will be processed faster rather than mailing it in.

Thank you!
I don’t think it’s possible. As far as I know, TT isn’t transmitting images of the forms — just the data (numbers & text) entered or calculated.

You might ask the forum whether your attachment is actually needed. I used to print and mail my taxes because of a letter I attached each year. Eventually I decided the letter wasn’t needed.
The attachment is definitely needed in my case and is only for one year.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Googling “TurboTax attachment” brings up information you might find useful.
j.click

Post by j.click »

Can you create and submit a form 8275 as part of your package?
talzara

Post by talzara »

Consumer tax software can only attach statements to specific lines. If it's not in the software, then you cannot attach a statement. Since you did not identify the form and the line number, we can't tell whether or not TurboTax supports attachments in your case.

Professional tax software can attach statements to any line that requires a statement. However, professional tax software starts at $300 and goes into the thousands of dollars.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

The IRS generally does not want attachments from individual taxpayers, they want data on their form. What type of data do you want to send them as a PDF?
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

quietseas wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:38 pm The IRS generally does not want attachments from individual taxpayers, they want data on their form. What type of data do you want to send them as a PDF?
I am filing for the HCTC tax credit and it requires documents such as health insurance statements and confirmations of premium payments.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

saver1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:46 pm
quietseas wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:38 pm The IRS generally does not want attachments from individual taxpayers, they want data on their form. What type of data do you want to send them as a PDF?
I am filing for the HCTC tax credit and it requires documents such as health insurance statements and confirmations of premium payments.
Here's some information:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credi ... t/00/27015

It says to use a Form 8453 to submit the extra documentation by US mail when you e-file.
Topic Author
saver1

Post by saver1 »

quietseas wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:57 pm
saver1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:46 pm
Here's some information:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credi ... t/00/27015

It says to use a Form 8453 to submit the extra documentation by US mail when you e-file.
This is perfect! Thank you!