CPA e-filing different than TT?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
LoveTheBogle

CPA e-filing different than TT?

Post by LoveTheBogle »

In 2020 I tried to e-file using turbo tax and it was unsuccessful. I believe it was because my 2019 had not yet been processed (I filed on time, irs backed up because of pandemic, blah, blah, blah)

I’m going to assume that my 2020 isn’t going to be processed by the IRS when I go to submit 2021. I am thinking about using a CPA to do my personal taxes for 2021 and my fear is having to print and mail just like previous years because of IRS not having previous year processed. My question is whether or not a CPA goes through some other system or something to successfully e-file to the IRS and states even if the receiving government entity doesn’t yet have processed 2020?? :confused
Katietsu

Re: CPA e-filing different than TT?

Post by Katietsu »

Two part answer:

If you want to file yourself using TT, you may be able to do so even though your 2020 return has not been processed. If there is no return on file, in the past anyway, entering an prior year AGI of $0, will allow your efile to go through.

If you use a paid preparer, they can just file your return without using any of the prior year AGI/PIN steps that a self filer uses.